Twenty-five years after the signing of a landmark peace treaty, ties between Jordan and Israel mirror the ebbs and flows of a turbulent region, while many Jordanians still regard the Jewish state as an "enemy".
The Wadi Araba Treaty, inked on 26 October 1994, formally ended decades of war between the two neighbours but the accord faces continual challenges, analysts say.
"Israel remains our number one enemy," Yazid Khleifat, a 38-year-old civil servant, told AFP.
"Israel has displaced millions of our Palestinian brothers and killed thousands of Arabs," he added.
More than half of Jordan's 9.5 million population is of Palestinian descent.
The largely desert Hashemite kingdom borders Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories where a decades-long conflict has defined the political tremors of the Middle East.
Jordan -- the only Arab country with Egypt to have a peace treaty with Israel -- administered the West Bank, including mostly Arab east Jerusalem, until the 1967 Six-Day War.
It remains the custodian of Muslim holy sites in Jerusalem.
"Despite the peace plan, Israel shows no respect for Jordan's custodianship over the holy sites... and its attempts to Judaise Jerusalem are in full swing," said Khleifat.
"The issue of custodianship is sensitive for the Hashemites because it touches upon their religious legitimacy," said Amman-based political analyst Labib Kamhawi.
Members of the Hashemite dynasty to which King Abdullah II belongs are direct descendants of the Prophet Mohammed.
- 'Enemy' of the people -
King Abdullah II has repeatedly characterised the peace with Israel as "cold and getting colder" and warned that Jerusalem was a "red line".
The status of Jerusalem is one of the thorniest issues of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Israel annexed the city after the 1967 war in a move never recognised by the international community.
In 2017, US President Donald Trump formally recognised the city as the capital of Israel, a move that angered the Palestinians who see the eastern sector of Jerusalem as the capital of their future state.
And in a further challenge, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who heads the most right-wing government in Israel's history, has vowed to annex the Jordan Valley.
"Israel, with whom we signed a peace agreement 25 years ago, is not the same today," said Oraib Rantawi, director of Al Quds Centre for Political Studies.
"This is another Israel, ruled by an ultra-nationalist religious streak."
"The average Jordanian does not accept Israel as a friend or ally but considers it an enemy who has violated Palestine and the holy sites," Kamhawi said.
Youssef Rashad, a 41-year-old who works in marketing, told AFP that Israel "does not really want peace".
"Jordan respects peace with Israel but Israel... does not want peace to begin with and has used the treaty as a cover to gain time and destroy any bid for a two-state solution" with the Palestinians, he added.
Washington, which is pushing for a so-called "deal of the century" plan to solve the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, has ignored the stalled two-state solution and the right of return for Palestinian refugees.
Jordan is home to 2.2 million Palestinian refugees registered with the United Nations.
- 'Ink on paper' -
Several economic projects were struck between Jordan and Israel in the aftermath of the peace treaty but they have faltered, highlighting the rocky relations between the two neighbours.
These included the construction of a joint airport, a canal linking the Red Sea and the Dead Sea and an industrial zone.
"Most of these projects have remained ink on paper," said Rantawi.
Israel supplies water-parched Jordan with 50 million cubic meters of water a year as well as gas, while trade between the two countries is very modest.
And although more than 100,000 Israeli tourists visit Jordan each year, only 12,000 Jordanians travelled to Israel in 2018.
Security and intelligence cooperation, however, remains tightly intertwined.
Israeli ambassador Amir Weissbrod talked up the two sides' cooperation on security and water, and pointed out that Israeli visits to popular tourist sites in southern Jordan are increasing.
"We are trying to find ways to improve relations, both countries can do better," he told AFP. "Jordan is a reliable partner. We are reliable to each other."
But in a further sign of strains, King Abdullah last year announced plans to reclaim sovereignty over two small plots of territory -- Baqura and Ghumar -- leased to Israel under the 1994 peace treaty.
"For the first time, there is a signal from King Abdullah II that peace will be adversely affected by what is happening with the Palestinian issue," Rantawi said.
But Rantawi and Kamhawi also warned that the move, which has been welcomed by Jordanians as restoring the kingdom's "dignity", could spark more tensions between the two countries.
- UN Denounces Muzzling of Teachers Union in Jordan - Voice of America - August 10th, 2020
- Jordan to ramp up repatriation of nationals - Arab News - August 10th, 2020
- You're Going to Like the Union x Air Jordan IVs, Even If You Hated Them - Complex - August 10th, 2020
- Adolescent well-being in Jordan: Exploring gendered capabilities, contexts and change strategies - A synthesis report on GAGE Jordan baseline findings... - August 10th, 2020
- Kevin Hart Tried to Explain Michael Jordan's Greatness to Joe Rogan - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Meet the Leather Expert That's Ripping Apart $1,000 Air Jordans - Complex - August 10th, 2020
- Meet Jordan Hawkins: Heres what to know about the newest UConn mens basketball recruit - Hartford Courant - August 10th, 2020
- Armstead excited to team up with Jordan again on 49ers - Comcast SportsNet Bay Area - August 10th, 2020
- SLC Police and Fire crews pull children from car in Jordan River Canal - fox13now.com - August 10th, 2020
- Commentary: Shades of the past at City Hall - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- Jordan King Abdullah II is gifted with quilt crafted in Granby - masslive.com - August 10th, 2020
- Here's Why the Dior x Air Jordan 1 is the Hottest Sneaker of 2020 - MSN Money - August 10th, 2020
- 'It's very, very real': Jordan nurse helps treat COVID-19 in Texas, Arizona - SW News Media - August 10th, 2020
- LET'S RIDE: The Woodlands' Jordan verbals to SMU - KPRC Click2Houston - August 10th, 2020
- Jordan - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- Jordan | History, Population, Flag, Map, & Facts | Britannica - August 10th, 2020
- 49ers agree to deal with oft-injured TE Jordan Reed - ESPN - August 10th, 2020
- Phillip Lowe, Jay Jordan, Leon Winn to appear at Florence Republican meeting - SCNow - August 10th, 2020
- Meet Jordan Hawkins: Things to know about the newest UConn mens basketball recruit - Hartford Courant - August 10th, 2020
- Work It Star Jordan Fisher Reveals How Hamilton Role Hand-Offs Work - Collider.com - August 10th, 2020
- One of the greatest humans Ive ever been around: Jordan Clarkson starting to thrive again - Deseret News - August 10th, 2020
- Where To Buy The Air Jordan 1 CO.JP Tokyo - Sneaker News - August 9th, 2020
- Michael Jordans Nike Air Ship Sneakers Banned by the NBA 36 Years Ago Are Returning Soon - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 9th, 2020
- Jordan Spieth's 76 at PGA Championship Saturday puts Grand Slam out of reach - ESPN - August 9th, 2020
- The Jordan Hawkins Blog: This is Why I Committed to Connecticut... - Sports Illustrated - August 9th, 2020
- Vigil to be held Saturday for victims of West Jordan plane crash - ABC 4 - August 9th, 2020
- Why Jordan Spieth is the most relatable (and likable) superstar in... - Golf.com - August 9th, 2020
- Former Hollywood Publicist Dishes on Some of the Nicest A-List Celebrities Like Michael B. Jordan and Jennifer Lopez - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 9th, 2020
- Allen Iverson: NBA's greatest of all time is LeBron James, not Jordan - Insider - INSIDER - August 8th, 2020
- Inspired by Kobe and Jordan, Von vows to lead differently - The Denver Channel - August 8th, 2020
- 49ers free agency: 49ers are expected to sign pass rusher Dion Jordan - Niners Nation - August 8th, 2020
- Air Jordan 14 Black/Particle Grey Is Scheduled To Arrive In Summer 2021 - Sneaker News - August 8th, 2020
- Giant panda conservation is failing to revive the wider ecosystem new study - The Conversation UK - August 8th, 2020
- Diversity & Inclusion in Capital Formation - The National Law Review - August 8th, 2020
- Harlem Tech Summit to showcase emerging ecosystem while promoting a more inclusive future - The Sociable - August 8th, 2020
- Mercedes-Benz production system MO360 working in Tuscaloosa - AL.com - August 8th, 2020
- Rebuilding the humanitarian ecosystem in South Africa - Next Generation - Bizcommunity.com - August 8th, 2020
- COVID19 Outbreak Mobile Phone Insurance Ecosystem Market Projected to Garner Significant Revenues by 2025 - Levee Report - August 8th, 2020
- Official Images Of The Kids-Exclusive Air Jordan 4 Lemon Venom - Sneaker News - August 8th, 2020
- Union Los Angeles And Jordan Collaborate On Four Shoe Collection - Sneaker News - August 7th, 2020
- At Least the Bulls Draft Odds Won't Get Worse, Jordan's Ball Fakes, LaVine's Workout, and Other Bulls Bullets - bleachernation.com - August 7th, 2020
- T.J. Warren is the Michael Jordan of the bubble - SB Nation - August 7th, 2020
- Where To Buy The Air Jordan 1 Satin Red - Sneaker News - August 7th, 2020
- 49ers expected to sign former top-five pick Dion Jordan to add depth to defensive line, per report - CBS Sports - August 7th, 2020
- Jordan, son of Hall of Famer Dr Bly, commits to ODU football - wtkr.com - August 7th, 2020
- Montgomery off his game in Yankees' loss to Phillies - Newsday - August 7th, 2020
- Michael Jordan and Jordan Brand donate $2.5 million to three organizations to combat Black voter suppression - CNN - August 6th, 2020
- How the Upcoming Air Jordan 5 What The Looks On Feet - Yahoo Sports - August 6th, 2020
- Jordan CRC Receives Federal Grant To Help Victims Of Human Trafficking - ideastream - August 6th, 2020
- Cameron Jordan talks trash to Tom Brady, but can the Saints back it up? - Saints Wire - August 6th, 2020
- Air Jordan 5 What The - KicksOnFire.com - August 6th, 2020
- Last Dance: Everything The Michael Jordan Documentary Leaves Out - Screen Rant - August 6th, 2020
- A Jordanian podcast is exploring the regions taboo subjects - The Economist - August 6th, 2020
- Jordan William Hernandez, 22, graduated from West Brunswick High School - Port City Daily - August 6th, 2020
- Charlotte Hornets: Where did Michael Jordans first donation go to? - Swarm and Sting - August 6th, 2020
- This Air Jordan 5 Release Pays Tribute to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - Footwear News - August 3rd, 2020
- Jordanian Police Beat and Arrest Protesting Teachers - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Michael B. Jordan And More React To Record Number Of Black Actors Nominated For Emmys - Forbes - August 3rd, 2020
- Randy Jordan wants the 'whole thing' from Derrius Guice in 2020 - NBC Sports Washington - August 3rd, 2020
- 5 Universities in Jordan That are Considered The Best - CEOWORLD magazine - August 3rd, 2020
- Jordan Spieth shoots 1-over 71 in round four of the World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational - pgatour.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Jordan in 2020: Protests and Pandemic - The Media Line - August 2nd, 2020
- You Can Now Own This Championship Champagne, Signed By Michael Jordan Following The 1991 NBA Finals - Forbes - August 2nd, 2020
- Here's Your First Look at the Union x Air Jordan 4 Retro "Guava Ice" - HYPEBEAST - August 2nd, 2020
- Jordanian police beat and arrest protesting teachers - ABC News - August 2nd, 2020
- Jim Jordan tries and fails to get Fauci to say protesters should be arrested for gathering during pandemic - Yahoo News - August 2nd, 2020
- Gordon Monson: Mike Conley and Jordan Clarkson are integral parts to a new Jazz discovery - Salt Lake Tribune - August 2nd, 2020
- PFF says TE Brevin Jordan still has plenty to prove in 2020 - 247Sports - August 2nd, 2020
- Jordan's opens its first store in Maine - Home Furnishings Association - July 31st, 2020
- Rep. Jim Jordan attacks tech CEOs, saying they discriminate against conservatives - cleveland.com - July 31st, 2020
- Here's Your First Look at the Union x Air Jordan 4 Retro "Off Noir" - HYPEBEAST - July 31st, 2020
- Best Look Yet At The Black And Gold Air Jordan 1 High - Sneaker News - July 31st, 2020
- Jordan and Andre Ayew get thumbs up from former Ghana international - Goal.com - July 31st, 2020
- Jordan Montgomery is finally getting his chance to shine in the Yankees rotation again - New York Daily News - July 31st, 2020
- Ohio's Jim Jordan is a jewel - The Highland County Press - July 31st, 2020
- I had the privilege of witnessing Michael Jordan - Northern Star Online - July 31st, 2020
- Where To Buy The Jordan Zoom 92 Summit White - Sneaker News - July 31st, 2020
- Bob Gwizdz: Mouse-eating monsters in the cold, fast Jordan - Traverse City Record Eagle - July 31st, 2020
- Jordan Spieth shoots 2-under 68 in round one of the World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational - pgatour.com - July 31st, 2020
- Eight crashes in 10 years. Is the regional airport in West Jordan safe? - Salt Lake Tribune - July 31st, 2020