In the early days of COVID-19, the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine (ARM) was unsure how the pandemic and its accompanying economic downturn would affect the cell and gene therapy space.
It was a really specific time when the world and the markets were clearly reeling from the first appreciation for the seriousness of COVID-19, Janet Lambert, the organizations CEO said.
Now, the numbers are inand theyre better than ever. In the first half of 2020, the regenerative medicine sector raised $10.7 billion, more than the total capital raised in 2019 and a 120% jump over the first half of 2019, ARM found in a new report titled, Innovation in the Time of COVID-19. The proceeds were shared pretty evenly between cell therapy companies ($7.5 billion) and gene and gene-modified cell therapy companies ($7.9 billion), with companies focused on tissue engineering reeling in $84 million.
September 2-3, 2020 Live, Online Course: Biopharma Revenue Forecasting that Drives Decision Making and Investments
Become fluent in the core elements of revenue forecasting including epidemiology, competitive assessments, market share assignment and pricing. Let Biotech Primer's dynamic industry experts teach you how to assess the value of new therapies.
RELATED: Biotech IPO bonanza: Legend's $350M offering as Repare, Forma get in on the action
That $10.7 billion was driven by a couple of outsize deals and includes $1.4 billion raised in five IPOs, $1.6 billion in follow-on offerings and $3 billion in venture capital. Chinese CAR-T player Legend Biotech led the pack with its mammoth $487 million Wall Street debut in June, but its peers netted considerable sums too. That same month, gene therapy companies Generation Bio and Akouos raised $230 million and $244 million, respectively. In February, another gene therapy outfit, Passage Bio, raised $284 million and gene-editing biotech Beam Therapeutics bagged $207 million.
On the venture side, Sana Biotechnology scored $700 millionalmost as much as the five next largest private rounds raised by Orca Bio Elevate Bio, Legend, Freeline Therapeutics and Poseida, the report found. Like Legend, Generation Bio and Akouos also completed sizable private rounds the same year they went public.
RELATED: 'The silver lining': Biotech IPOs in the time of coronavirus
All this enthusiasm for this sector right now is evidenced by these really astonishing financing numbers I think the drivers of that enthusiasm remain in place and make me optimistic for the second half of 2020, Lambert said. We continue to see really promising clinical results. We continue to see products making it to market. We continue to see patient, regulator and payer enthusiasm for these products.
Part of that enthusiasm stems from an appreciation for the biotech sector generally, Lambert said.
Attention is being paid to what the biopharma sector can do for us all as we try to weather and get out of the pandemic, she said, echoing the sentiments of venture capitalists whove managed to raise life sciences funds in spite of the pandemic.
The other side of the equation is the nature of biotechbecause the drug development cycle is long, biotech investors arent looking for quarter-to-quarter returns, but at milestone readouts that can come more than a year after IPO, Jordan Saxe, head of healthcare listings at Nasdaq, said in a previous interview.
Biotech is actually fairly well positioned to weather these kinds of events because youre not relying on day-to-day consumer spending. Youre relying on meaningful clinical catalysts at the end of the day to really generate value, and thats still going to be there in this environment, said Jason Pitts, Ph.D., a principal at Sofinnova, in ARMs report.
RELATED: Flagship raises $1.1B to create biotechs for post-pandemic world
All this gas in the tank isnt just bankrolling existing cell and gene therapies, but also driving company formation, Lambert said. For the first time, ARM counts more than 1,000 companies working in the sector, with more than 1,000 clinical trials going on worldwide. More than half of those studies are in phase 2, with just over a third in phase 1 and the remainder in phase 3.
Of those studies, 11 are testing regenerative medicine approaches against COVID-19, with several academic research centers and biopharma companies working on new treatments to treat the disease in the short and long term.
Most of them are using cell therapies to address ARDS, or acute respiratory distress syndrome, which is a consequence of COVID-19, Lambert said. Unlike other prospects in the pipeline, such as antibodies, which could potentially be used to prevent infection as well as treat it, regenerative treatments focus on repairing damage to the lungs or other organs that patients can suffer as part of COVID-19.
Read the original:
- After reeling back a gene therapy from Sanofi, a North Carolina upstart bags enough money to do something about it - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy in One Eye Improves Vision in Both Eyes - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- After leaving Wall Street to launch a gene therapy upstart, Rachel McMinn nabs $115M to drive her first candidate to the clinic - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 17th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: COVID-19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Passage Bio Invests In Gene Therapy Manufacturing R&D Site - Contract Pharma - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 17th, 2020
- Though Promising, Gene Therapies Face Durability And Reimbursement Headwinds - Forbes - December 17th, 2020
- What is gene therapy? - The Star Online - December 17th, 2020
- They thought their gene therapy failed. Instead, it spawned a medical mystery - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Health Canada approves Zolgensma, the one-time gene therapy for pediatric patients with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) - Canada NewsWire - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Injection in One Eye Improves Vision in Both - Technology Networks - December 17th, 2020
- Locanabio Raises $100 Million to Advance RNA-Targeted Gene Therapies - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Worldwide Gene Therapy Industry to 2025 - Cancer is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share in the Indication Segment - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 17th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Set to Join Russell 2000 Index on December 21, 2020 - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Rare Disease Gene Therapy Market: Increasing cases of genetic diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Single gene therapy injection surprisingly boosts vision in both eyes - New Atlas - December 17th, 2020
- Freeline takes the haemophilia B gene therapy fight to Uniqure - Vantage - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia B Found Safe and Effective in First Phase III Trial - PRNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- ASH: UniQure/CSL hem B gene therapy curbs bleeding in phase 3even in patients with anti-AAV antibodies - FierceBiotech - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Analysis by Vector Type, Application, Region - Global Market Insights, Covid-19 Impact, Competition and Forecast to 2025 -... - December 14th, 2020
- Retinal Gene Therapy Market to Witness Sales Slump in Near Term Due to COVID-19; Long-term Outlook R - PharmiWeb.com - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy, Absolutely and For Real | In the Pipeline - Science Magazine - December 14th, 2020
- Treatment with Investigational LentiGlobin Gene Therapy for Sickle Cell Disease (bb1111) Results in Complete Elimination of SCD-Related Severe... - December 14th, 2020
- Rocket Pharmaceuticals in orbit after gene therapy read-out - - pharmaphorum - December 14th, 2020
- Bluebird trumpets long-term data from beta-thalassaemia gene therapy - - pharmaphorum - December 14th, 2020
- ASH 2020: Novel Gene Therapy Found to be Safe and Effective in Treatment of Hemophilia B - OncoZine - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Unexpectedly Improves Vision In Both Eyes Of Patients Suffering A Form Of Blindness - IFLScience - December 14th, 2020
- Innovative payment models to support cell and gene therapies on the rise - MedCity News - December 14th, 2020
- Better education needed to give patients improved understanding of gene therapies, new review highlights - University of Birmingham - December 14th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020: Market is Expected to Recover and Reach $6.84 Billion in 2023 - Forecast to 2030 - GlobeNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- Navigating the Complexities of AAV Scale-Up and Manufacturing - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - December 14th, 2020
- EdiGene Expands Management Team by Appointment of Head of US Subsidiary Dr. Bo Zhang and Head of Business Development Dr. Kehua Fan - Business Wire - December 14th, 2020
- New CSL gene therapy could trigger a stock rerating - The Australian Financial Review - October 19th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Size & Share Insights on Growing Applications by 2026 - re:Jerusalem - October 19th, 2020
- Gene Therapy: Healing remedy or harmful hoax? The Knight News - The Knight News - October 19th, 2020
- Polyplus-transfection presents latest solution portfolio for gene therapy market to Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's Meeting on the Mesa -... - October 19th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Receives Rare Pediatric Disease Designation and Orphan Drug Designation for TSHA-102 as a Treatment for Rett Syndrome - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Merck's New VirusExpress Platform Speeds Development of Cell and Gene Therapies - PharmiWeb.com - October 19th, 2020
- Axovant Gene Therapies Receives Rare Pediatric Disease Designation for AXO-AAV-GM2 for Tay-Sachs and Sandhoff Disease - GlobeNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Ori Biotech's new cell and gene therapy platform raises 23m - BusinessCloud - October 19th, 2020
- Foundation to Fight H-ABC, University of Massachusetts Medical School and Yale University Initiate Gene Therapy Study Targeting Cure for Rare Disease... - October 19th, 2020
- 5-Year-Old Girl, Being Treated In French Gene Therapy Trial, Dies In US - NDTV - October 19th, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for Libmeldy for the Treatment of Early-Onset Metachromatic Leukodystrophy (MLD) - GlobeNewswire - October 19th, 2020
- Castle Creek Biosciences Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1/2 Clinical Trial of FCX-013 Gene Therapy for Treatment of Moderate to Severe... - October 19th, 2020
- Longview family rallies around 3-year-old with rare, fatal genetic condition - Longview News-Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Child dies in US during gene therapy trial - The News International - October 19th, 2020
- Tag: Gene Therapy - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market Robust pace of Industry during 2018-2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 19th, 2020
- Disruptive Technologies and Mature Regulatory Environment Vital for Cell Therapy Maturation - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- Ori looks to advance closed cell therapy tech - BioProcess Insider - October 19th, 2020
- Histogen Appoints Moya Daniels as Executive Vice President and Head of Regulatory, Quality and Clinical Operations - BioSpace - October 19th, 2020
- EMA starts rapid review of Bluebird's gene therapy for rare disease CALD - - pharmaphorum - October 10th, 2020
- American Gene Technologies to Present at 2020 Virtual Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Unchained Labs launches the ultimate gene therapy tool; tackle AAV titer, empty/full ratio and more with Stunner! - PRNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Smartphone-connected pacemaker devices, experimental gene therapy among top 10 innovations at annual event - BioWorld Online - October 10th, 2020
- CellGenix Completes Facility Expansion to Stay Ahead of the Increasing Demand for GMP Raw Materials - b3c newswire - October 10th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic Names Top 10 Medical Innovations; Sickle Cell Therapy Tops the List - HealthLeaders Media - October 10th, 2020
- Investigational Gene Therapy for Phenylketonuria Gets Fast Tracked - Monthly Prescribing Reference - October 10th, 2020
- Flexion Therapeutics to Present at the 2020 Cell & Gene Virtual Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Partners with Invitae to Enable Rapid Access to Genetic Testing and Earlier Diagnosis of Patients with CNS Disease for Rare and... - October 10th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market 2020 by industry trends, statistics, key companies growth and regional forecast - News by Decresearch - October 10th, 2020
- Bone Therapeutics, Link Health and Pregene to develop and commercialize the ALLOB allogeneic bone cell therapy platform in China and Southeast Asia -... - October 10th, 2020
- Axovant to Participate in Upcoming October Conferences and Provide AXO-Lenti-PD Program Update the Morning of October 6th - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Investigational Gene Therapy Fast Tracked for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Monthly Prescribing Reference - October 10th, 2020
- Genprex to Present at the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine's Virtual Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesa - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- Generation Bio to Present at 2020 Virtual Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Gyrolab AAVX Titer Kit Introduced to Support Cell and Gene Therapy Market - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Builds Experienced Executive Leadership Team to Advance Pipeline of Gene Therapies for Monogenic CNS Disease in Both Rare and... - September 2nd, 2020
- First Gene Therapy Products Approved in Brazil - Lexology - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to be worth USD 10 Billion by 2030, growing at an annualized rate of over 40% - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Additional Interim Results from Proof-of-Concept Study of OTL-203 for MPS-I - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- The Safety and Clinical Activity of Gene-engineered T-cell Therapy Targeting HPV-16 E7 in Epithelial Cancers - Pharmacy Times - September 2nd, 2020
- AGTC to Host Management Update on September 9 at 8:00 am ET to Discuss Planned Phase 2/3 XLRP Trial, Share Additional XLRP Data and Report Fourth... - September 2nd, 2020
- Qualitative Analysis and Competitive Industry, CCOVID-19 Scenario of Personalized Gene Therapy Treatment Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Sorrento Announces the Closing of Its Acquisition of SmartPharm to Build Next Generation G-MAB-Encoded Plasmid DNA For Cost-Efficient and In Vivo... - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Helped Conner Run : Short Wave - NPR - August 10th, 2020