A lone genetic mutation can cause a life-changing disorder with effects on multiple body systems. Lysosomal storage diseases, for example, of which there are dozens, arise due to single mutations that affect production of critical enzymes required to metabolize large molecules in cells. These disorders affect multiple organs including, notably, the brain, causing intellectual disability of varying degrees.
Gene therapy holds promise to address these conditions, but the brains own protective mechanismthe blood-brain barrierhas been a formidable challenge for researchers working to develop one.
In a new study published in the journal Brain, a team led by John H. Wolfe, a researcher with Penns School of Veterinary Medicine and Perelman School of Medicine and the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia, successfully applied a gene therapy platform to completely correct brain defects in a large animal model of a human genetic disease.
This is the first example of a large-brain mammal with a bona fide human genetic disease that has intellectual disability as part of the human syndrome where weve been able to correct the biochemistry and pathologic lesions in the whole brain, says Wolfe.
Wolfe has worked on models of human genetic diseases that impact the brain for many years. With gene therapy, a delivery vehicletypically a viral vectoris used to provide the normal version of a mutated gene to correct a condition. Wolfe and other scientists working in this area have made steady progress to treat neurogenetic diseases in rodents. However, applying the same treatment to the much larger brain of higher mammals has only been able to produce partial corrections.
Theres been a lot of excitement for the last 10 years or so that specific vectors can be injected into the blood and enter the brain, says Wolfe. They do cross the blood-brain barrier. One such treatment with restricted distribution has been effective in treating a disease that primarily affects the spinal cord.
And while scientists have shown these therapies can reverse the pathology throughout the brains of mice, its been hard to judge what effect it would have in patients, as the rodent brains have a much smaller cerebral cortex than larger mammals, like humans.
In the current study, the team used an animal model with a brain more similar to humans, cats, to assess the effectiveness of a gene-correcting therapy for one type of lysosomal storage disease: a condition called alpha-mannosidosis, which naturally occurs in cats and results from a mutated copy of the alpha-mannosidase gene.
Having refined the gene-delivery technique during many years of work, the researchers selected a specific vector that they showed, in mice, was capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier to reach sites throughout the brain.
They next delivered the vector, containing a reporter gene, to normal cats. Several weeks later, they were able to find evidence that the corrected gene had distributed to various parts of the brain, including the cerebral cortex, hippocampus, and mid-brain.
Finally the research team assessed the therapy in cats with alpha-mannosidosis, using either a low or high dose of the vector. They injected the therapy into the carotid artery, so that it would go directly to the brain before traveling to other parts of the body. Compared to untreated cats, treated animals had a significant delayed onset of certain neurological symptoms and a longer lifespan; those that received the higher dose of the vector delivered through the carotid artery lived the longest.
Its a big advance, says Wolfe. Nobody has been able to treat the whole brain of a large-brained animal before. Were hopeful that this will translate into clinical use in humans.
Wolfe cautions, however, the findings dont amount to a cure.
These were significant improvements, but they were only just improvements on a serious condition, Wolfe says. The cats werent cured, and we dont know what impact this has on mental ability. However, since the pathology is found throughout the brain, it is thought that complete correction will be necessary.
As alpha-mannosidosis is a childhood-onset disease with no cure, however, any improvements that lessen the severity of symptoms are welcome. The approach the researchers developed may potentially be employed to treat many other diseases that affect the whole central nervous system.
In future work, Wolfe and his collaborators hope to refine their methods to achieve the same outcomes with a lower dose, making an effective treatment safer as well as more affordable. And they will continue to work to understand the details of why their treatment works, including precisely how the vector travels through the brain, a line of investigation that could shed light on additional strategies to address these serious disorders.
John H. Wolfe is a Stokes Investigator of the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute, director of the Walter Flato Goodman Center for Comparative Medicine Genetics at the School of Veterinary Medicine, and a professor of pathology and medical genetics in Penn Vets Department of Pathobiology and in the Perelman School of Medicines Department of Pediatrics.
Wolfes coauthors on the work were Sea Young Yoon, Jacqueline E. Hunter, Sanjeev Chawla, Dana L. Clarke, Caitlyn Molony, Patricia A. ODonnell, Jessica H. Bagel, Manoj Kumar, Harish Poptani, and Charles H. Vite.
The work was supported by the National Institutes of Health (grants DK063973, OD010939, TR001878, and NS007180).
- Gyrolab AAVX Titer Kit Introduced to Support Cell and Gene Therapy Market - Technology Networks - September 2nd, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Builds Experienced Executive Leadership Team to Advance Pipeline of Gene Therapies for Monogenic CNS Disease in Both Rare and... - September 2nd, 2020
- First Gene Therapy Products Approved in Brazil - Lexology - September 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to be worth USD 10 Billion by 2030, growing at an annualized rate of over 40% - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Prevail Therapeutics to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - September 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics Announces Additional Interim Results from Proof-of-Concept Study of OTL-203 for MPS-I - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- The Safety and Clinical Activity of Gene-engineered T-cell Therapy Targeting HPV-16 E7 in Epithelial Cancers - Pharmacy Times - September 2nd, 2020
- AGTC to Host Management Update on September 9 at 8:00 am ET to Discuss Planned Phase 2/3 XLRP Trial, Share Additional XLRP Data and Report Fourth... - September 2nd, 2020
- Qualitative Analysis and Competitive Industry, CCOVID-19 Scenario of Personalized Gene Therapy Treatment Market - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Sorrento Announces the Closing of Its Acquisition of SmartPharm to Build Next Generation G-MAB-Encoded Plasmid DNA For Cost-Efficient and In Vivo... - September 2nd, 2020
- In the face of COVID-19, cell and gene therapy space shows 'remarkable resilience:' report - FierceBiotech - August 10th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Promising in BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer - Medscape - August 10th, 2020
- Evolution and Expansion of Therapies in the Global Cell and Gene Therapy Tools and Reagents Market 2020-2024 - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- How Gene Therapy Helped Conner Run : Short Wave - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- Preparing for an influx of cell and gene therapy approvals - - pharmaphorum - August 10th, 2020
- Catalent's Harmans Site Approved To Manufacture AveXis' Gene Therapy - Contract Pharma - August 10th, 2020
- Sangamo and Novartis partner on gene therapies for autism - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 10th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy in Oncology Market 2020 Growth Statistics, New Opportunities, Competitive Outloo - PharmiWeb.com - August 10th, 2020
- Research shows promising results for LHON gene therapy - Ophthalmology Times - August 10th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Detailed Information on Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | Sangamo, Spark Therapeutics, Dimension Therapeutics, Avalanche Bio,... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Cell & Gene Therapy Market Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Impact Editon of Gene Therapy for Mucopolysaccharidosis Market Research Study 2020 Future Development, Top Manufacturers, Technological... - August 9th, 2020
- The global cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 30.90% during the period 20192025 - Press Release - Digital... - August 9th, 2020
- Orgenesis Second Quarter 2020 Revenue Increases 55% Reflecting Progress of POCare Platform - GlobeNewswire - August 9th, 2020
- Regulatory Focus, July issue: Cell and gene therapy - Regulatory Focus - August 8th, 2020
- G-CON PODs Selected for Expression Therapeutics' Gene Therapy Manufacturing Facility - PR Web - August 8th, 2020
- CRISPR co-discoverer on the gene editor's pandemic push - Axios - August 8th, 2020
- Voyager Therapeutics Provides Update on AbbVie Vectorized Antibody Collaborations - GlobeNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Gene therapy - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- gene therapy | Description, Uses, Examples, & Safety ... - August 8th, 2020
- What Is Gene Therapy? How Does It Work? | FDA - August 8th, 2020
- 112M Fund Launched to Commercialize UCLs Gene Therapy... - Labiotech.eu - August 8th, 2020
- UK gene therapy pioneer tilts at $125m NASDAQ IPO - Business Weekly - August 7th, 2020
- Of mice and memories: Gene therapy study returns function in Alzheimer's mice - ABC News - August 7th, 2020
- Tessa Therapeutics Announces Results from Two Independent Phase 1/2 Trials of Autologous CD30 CAR-T Cell Therapy in Patients with Relapsed or... - August 7th, 2020
- Cancer Gene Therapy Market Latest Treatment Methodology 2020 to 2025 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces the establishment of its internal manufacturing facility for process development and scalable cGMP production of gene... - August 7th, 2020
- Regenxbio announces positive one-year data on wet AMD gene therapy - Seeking Alpha - August 7th, 2020
- Covid-19 Forces Gene Therapy Companies to Shift... - Labiotech.eu - August 5th, 2020
- Cell and gene therapies: For biotechs, collaboration is key to successful innovation - BioPharma Dive - August 5th, 2020
- The Time for DMD Gene Therapy is Now: A Chat with the MDA - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Beats the Blood-Brain Barrier To Cure Cat Disease - Technology Networks - August 5th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19 Gene Therapy Market - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- World-first gene therapy reverses Alzheimer's memory loss in mice - New Atlas - August 5th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market is projected to grow at an annualized rate of 45%, till 2030 - Market Research Posts - August 5th, 2020
- Spark Therapeutics Recognized for Fourth-straight Year as One of Philadelphia's Best Places to Work by the Philadelphia Business Journal - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- AGTC to Present at the Wedbush PacGrow Virtual Healthcare Conference on August 11, 2020 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2020
- Global Hemophilia Gene Therapy Market is estimated to Experience a Notable Rise in the coming era by Spark Therapeutics, Ultragenyx, Shire PLC,... - August 5th, 2020
- MEDIPAL HOLDINGS Partners with CRYOPORT to Bring Temperature-Controlled Supply Chain Solutions to the Japanese Market - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2020
- Can progenitor cells go further than gene therapy in retinal disorders? A biotech's answer shines in PhIIb - Endpoints News - August 4th, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market 2020 | Enormous Growth with Recent Trends & Demand By Top Vendors JW CreaGene, Vericel, Tego Sciences, CHIESI... - August 4th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Gene Therapy for Ovarian Cancer Market 2020 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Takara Bio, VBL... - August 4th, 2020
- Gene therapy reverses memory loss from Alzheimer's in mice - BioNews - August 3rd, 2020
- Hemophilia Gene Therapy Industry Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025 - Express Journal - August 3rd, 2020
- Dyne Therapeutics Appoints Susanna High as Chief Operating Officer - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Industry Market with manufacturers, Application, regions and SWOT Analysis 2025 - CueReport - August 3rd, 2020
- Investing in Advanced Manufacturing to Support Public Health - FDA.gov - August 3rd, 2020
- Genetic Studies Could Pave the Way to New Pain Treatments - Pain News Network - August 3rd, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Development, Manufacture & License Agreement with Beam Therapeutics Inc., for LentiVector Platform for Next Generation... - August 3rd, 2020
- AZ partners with Daiichi on ADC therapy - BioPharma-Reporter.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Ocugen Granted FDA Orphan Drug Designation for OCU400 (AAV-hNR2E3) Gene Therapy for the Treatment of RHO Mutation-Associated Retinal Degenerative... - August 2nd, 2020
- Axovant Signs Three-Year Clinical Supply Agreement With Oxford Biomedica for Manufacturing and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Inherited Genetic Disorders Market size in terms of volume and value 2019-2025 - Market Research Correspondent - August 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Professional Industry Overview 2020 Segmentation and Development Analysis BY 2027 - Science Examiner - August 2nd, 2020
- Greenwich swimmers take the plunge to fight cancer - Greenwich Time - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Market Overview, Growth & Advancement to (2020-2025) - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- Movers & Shakers, July 31 | BioSpace - BioSpace - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - Herald-Mail Media - August 2nd, 2020
- Catharpin mom helps raise national awareness for her young sons disease - WDVM 25 - August 2nd, 2020
- Spinraza-Zolgensma Combination Well-tolerated in Children with SMA... - SMA News Today - August 2nd, 2020
- Vineti and EVERSANA form strategic alliance to advance patient-centered services and supply chain automation for regenerative medicine - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Orchard Therapeutics to Webcast Conference Call of Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results - GlobeNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Expression Therapeutics Announces Bill Swaney as VP of Manufacturing and the Construction of Cell and Gene Therapy Manufacturing - Yahoo Finance - August 2nd, 2020
- REGENXBIO To Host Conference Call on August 6 to Discuss Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Recent Operational Highlights - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Market Analysis by SWOT, Investment, Future Growth and Major Key Players 2020 to 2025 - Research Newspaper - August 2nd, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Tools, and Reagents: Global Markets - PRNewswire - August 1st, 2020
- Oxford Biomedica Signs Three Year Clinical Supply Agreement with Axovant Gene Therapies for Manufacture and Supply of AXO-Lenti-PD - PharmiWeb.com - July 31st, 2020