Gene therapy is an experimental technique that aims to treat genetic diseases by altering a disease-causing gene or introducing a healthy copy of a mutated gene to the body. The U.S. Food and Drug Administrationapprovedthe first gene therapy for an inherited disease a genetic form of blindness in December 2017.
Sickle cell anemia is caused by a mutation in the HBB gene which provides the instructions to make part of hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen.
Researchers are working on two different strategies to treat sickle cell anemia with gene therapy. Both of these strategies involve genetically altering the patients own hematopoietic stem cells. These are cells in the bone marrow that divide and specialize to produce different types of blood cells, including the red blood cells.
One strategy is to remove some of the patients hematopoietic stem cells, replace the mutated HBB gene in these cells with a healthy copy of the gene, and then transplant those cells back into the patient. The healthy copy of the gene is delivered to the cells using a modified, harmless virus. These genetically corrected cells will then hopefully repopulate the bone marrow and produce healthy, rather than sickled, red blood cells.
The other strategy is to genetically alter another gene in the patients hematopoietic stem cells so they boost production of fetal hemoglobin a form of hemoglobin produced by babies from about seven months before birth to about six months after birth. This type of hemoglobin represses sickling of cells in patients with sickle cell anemia, but most people only produce a tiny amount of it after infancy. Researchers aim to increase production of fetal hemoglobin in stem cells by using a highly specific enzyme to cut the cells DNA in the section containing one of the genes that suppress production of fetal hemoglobin. When the cell repairs its DNA, the gene no longer works and more fetal hemoglobin is produced.
Gene therapy offers an advantage over bone marrow transplant, in that complications associated with a bone marrow donation now the only cure for the disease such as finding the right match are not a concern.
Twelve clinical trials studying gene therapy to treat sickle cell anemia are now ongoing. Nine of the 12 are currently recruiting participants.
Four trials (NCT02186418, NCT03282656, NCT02247843, NCT02140554) are testing the efficacy and safety of gene therapy to replace the mutated HBB gene with a healthy HBB gene. These Phase 2 trials are recruiting both children and adults in the United States and Jamaica.
Three trials (NCT02193191, NCT02989701, NCT03226691) are investigating the use ofMozobil (plerixafor) in patients with sickle cell anemia to increase the production of stem cells to be used for gene therapy. This medication is already approved to treat certain types of cancer. All three are recruiting U.S. participants.
One trial (NCT00669305) is recruiting sickle cell anemia patients in Tennessee to donate bone marrow to be used in laboratory research to develop gene therapy techniques.
The final study(NCT00012545) is examining the best way to collect, process and store umbilical cord blood from babies with and without sickle cell anemia. Cord blood contains abundant stem cells that could be used in developing gene therapy for sickle cell anemia. This trial is open to pregnant women in Maryland both those who risk having an infant with sickle cell anemia, and those who do not.
One clinical trial (NCT02151526) conducted in France is still active but no longer recruiting participants. It is investigating the efficacy of gene therapy in seven patients. For the trial, a gene producing a therapeutic hemoglobin that functions similarly to fetal hemoglobin is introduced into the patients stem cells. A case studyfrom one of the seven was published in March 2017; it showed that the approach was safe and could be an effective treatment option for sickle cell anemia.
Sickle Cell Anemia News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
Read more from the original source:
- FDA Continues Strong Support of Innovation in Development of Gene Therapy Products - FDA.gov - February 2nd, 2020
- Interpreting Sameness Gene Therapy Products Orphan Drug Regulations - FDA.gov - February 2nd, 2020
- Pfizer lays out gene therapy aspirations - BioPharma Dive - February 2nd, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Industry Outlook 2020-2024 - Strong Product Pipeline Gives Rise to Lucrative Growth Opportunities - P&T Community - February 2nd, 2020
- FDA guidance on gene therapies development and manufacturing - BioPharma-Reporter.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Devastation, then hope: Platteville baby first in state treated for rare condition after screening - Madison.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Studies target unilateral gene therapy injection - Ophthalmology Times - February 2nd, 2020
- Otonomy Presents Preclinical Results for GJB2 Gene Therapy Collaboration and Cisplatin Otoprotection Program - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Eyeing a trio of trial initiations, Jim Wilson's gene therapy startup woos Bruce Goldsmith from Deerfield as CEO - Endpoints News - February 2nd, 2020
- The FDA unveils a new regulatory framework to speed along gene therapies, rewarding the leading players - Endpoints News - February 2nd, 2020
- Gene Therapies Make it to Clinical Trials - Discover Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Experimental Gene Therapy Shows Promise for Preventing and Treating Lou Gehrig's Disease in Mice - BioSpace - December 31st, 2019
- 2019: The year gene therapy came of age - INQUIRER.net - December 31st, 2019
- BLA Submitted for Gene Therapy to Treat Hemophilia A - Monthly Prescribing Reference - December 31st, 2019
- First Alzheimer's Disease Gene Therapy Human Study Provided by Maximum Life Foundation, Offers 10 Free Therapies for Qualifying Patients - Benzinga - December 31st, 2019
- Year in Review: Gene Therapy Technology and a Milestone 2019 for Medical Research - News18 - December 31st, 2019
- Gene therapy to conquering hepatitis C: A decade of medical breakthroughs - Business Standard - December 31st, 2019
- What were the biggest biopharma stories of 2019? - MedCity News - December 31st, 2019
- Global Gene Therapy Market 2019 Revenue, Opportunity, Forecast and Value Chain 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 31st, 2019
- Manufacturing: the next breakthrough in gene therapy - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Novartis in talks with patients upset about lottery-like gene therapy giveaway - Reuters - December 23rd, 2019
- Ring Therapeutics Launches to Expand Gene Therapy Viral Vector Options - Xconomy - December 23rd, 2019
- Gene Therapy for Sickle-Cell Anemia Looks Promisingbut It's Riddled With Controversy - Singularity Hub - December 23rd, 2019
- Making advanced therapies takes industrializing personalization - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Dyno Therapeutics Launches to Improve Viral Vectors for Gene Therapy - BioSpace - December 23rd, 2019
- New Gene Therapy Method May Open BRAVE New World in Parkinson's - Parkinson's News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- Pharma's gene and cell therapy ambitions will kick into high gear in 2020despite some major hurdles - FiercePharma - December 23rd, 2019
- Viewpoint: EU should take a lead in enforcing the corporate social responsibility of gene therapy manufacturers - Science Business - December 23rd, 2019
- Takeda Presents Data for Hemophilia A and B Gene Therapy Optimization - Hemophilia News Today - December 23rd, 2019
- GenScript Biotech to Host Global Forum on Cell and Gene Therapy and the Booming China Market During JPM Week - PRNewswire - December 23rd, 2019
- The gene therapy research that could save a family of four - News - The University of Sydney - December 23rd, 2019
- Waning treatment is a warning for all 'one-and-done' therapies - STAT - December 23rd, 2019
- Would you pay $1M to partake in an anti-aging gene therapy trial? - Fox Business - December 13th, 2019
- Pfizer to bring gene therapy production in-house - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 13th, 2019
- Buyer beware of this $1 million gene therapy for aging - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- Dr. James Wilson, a scientific pioneer, on the future of gene therapy - STAT - December 13th, 2019
- The Rise Of Patent Wars In Europe's Gene Therapy Space - Law360 - December 13th, 2019
- Pfizer cites competitiveness of inhouse gene therapy - Bioprocess Insider - BioProcess Insider - December 13th, 2019
- Investment in UK cell and gene therapy manufacturing set to continue - European Pharmaceutical Review - December 13th, 2019
- Biomanufacturing and Supply Chain Standardization Key to Success in Cell and Gene Therapy Industry Boom - BioBuzz - December 13th, 2019
- Research targets gene therapy for exudative AMD patients - Modern Retina - December 13th, 2019
- Magenta Therapeutics Demonstrates First-ever Successful Gene Therapy Transplant Without Chemotherapy in Primates Using a Single Dose of Antibody-drug... - December 13th, 2019
- GenEdit and Editas Medicine Enter into Exclusive License and Collaboration Agreement for Nanoparticle Gene Therapy Delivery - Business Wire - December 13th, 2019
- First 2 Adults with Severe Hemophilia A Respond Well to Gene Therapy BAY 2599023 in Clinical Trial - Hemophilia News Today - December 13th, 2019
- New Anti-Aging Clinical Trial Begins. For $1 Million, You Can Be a Participant. - Livescience.com - December 13th, 2019
- Watch out, Keytruda. Ferring's bladder cancer gene therapy rival has new dataand they look competitive - FiercePharma - December 13th, 2019
- Solid Biosciences Stock Crashes Over Safety Concerns About Its Gene Therapy - Barron's - November 13th, 2019
- Solid's Duchenne gene therapy trial halted after patient suffers toxicity - STAT - November 13th, 2019
- Gene Therapy in Neurology: 2019 Overview & Forecast Report - Yahoo Finance - November 13th, 2019
- How Gene Therapy Is Evolving to Tackle Complex... - Labiotech.eu - November 13th, 2019
- Lonza taps Cryoport to bolster cell and gene therapy delivery - BioPharma Dive - November 13th, 2019
- Pfizer's 'brainstorming' payment deals as gene therapies advance, exec tells Bloomberg - FiercePharma - November 13th, 2019
- Next generation cell and gene therapies: fine tuning the promise - Business Weekly - November 13th, 2019
- Vertex invests in gene therapy manufacturing - BioPharma-Reporter.com - November 13th, 2019
- Scientists are using gene therapy to treat a heart disease in dogs. Could humans be next? - 10News - November 13th, 2019
- Updated Alta Trial Results Support SB-525 Gene Therapy for Hemophilia A - Hemophilia News Today - November 13th, 2019
- Sangamo Announces Gene Therapy and Ex Vivo Gene-Edited Cell Therapy Data Presentations at the American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting - Business... - November 13th, 2019
- Modified Protein Enhances the Accuracy of CRISPR Gene Therapy - DocWire News - November 13th, 2019
- Triple-Gene Announces Completion of Enrollment and Dosing in Phase 1 Trial of INXN4001, First Multigenic Investigational Therapeutic Candidate for... - November 13th, 2019
- Five benefits of gene therapies - Echo Live - September 19th, 2019
- Reprogramming the Human Computer: Silicon Valley Meets Cell and Gene Therapy - BioBuzz - September 19th, 2019
- FDA approves 2nd gene therapy cancer drug from Durham's Precision Bio for clinical trial - WRAL Tech Wire - September 19th, 2019
- 7-Year-Old Receives New FDA-Approved Retina Gene Therapy - University of Michigan Health System News - September 19th, 2019
- First Patient Dosed in Trial of Fabry Gene Therapy Candidate FLT190 - Fabry Disease News - September 19th, 2019
- Bluebird bio reveals further encouraging data for CALD gene therapy - PMLiVE - September 19th, 2019
- Joseph M. Sanzari Childrens Hospital and John Theurer Cancer Center Launch Clinical Trial Evaluating Gene Therapy for Severe Sickle Cell Disease in... - September 19th, 2019
- Personalised medicine: developing gene therapies - AOP - September 19th, 2019
- A Child's Shattered Chromosomes Illustrate the Value of Supportive Therapies | DNA Science Blog - PLoS Blogs - September 19th, 2019
- Novartis says Pharmalittle: Pelosi unveils aggressive drug pricing plan - STAT - September 19th, 2019
- TrakCel partners with McKesson - BioPharma-Reporter.com - September 19th, 2019
- CMTA Grants $335,000 to Projects that Advance Therapy Development - Charcot-Marie-Tooth News - September 19th, 2019
- First patient dosed in Fabry Disease gene therapy trial - PharmaTimes - September 19th, 2019
- PPMD Awards University of Florida $1 Million for Novel Gene Therapy Approach Targeting the Heart - PRNewswire - September 19th, 2019
- Early snapshot of Adverum's eye gene therapy sparks concern about vision loss - Endpoints News - September 19th, 2019
- Type 2 Gaucher Trial of Gene Therapy PR001 May Open with Higher Dose - Gaucher Disease News - September 19th, 2019
- Therapy creates new neurons for faster stroke recovery - Futurity: Research News - September 19th, 2019
- Bluebird gene therapy shows sustained benefit in CALD study - Seeking Alpha - September 19th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019