Breyanzi (lisocabtagene maraleucel) was approved on the 54 percent complete remission rate achieved in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma trials.
Breyanzi (lisocabtagene maraleucel), a chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell-based gene therapy to treat adult patients with certain types of large B-cell lymphoma who have not responded to, or relapsed, after at least two other types of systemic treatment has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
According to the agency, Breyanzi is the third gene therapy approved in the US for certain types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, including diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL). Breyanzi is not indicated for the treatment of patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma.
Todays approval represents another milestone in the rapidly progressing field of gene therapy by providing an additional treatment option for adults with certain types of cancer affecting the blood, bone marrow, and lymph nodes, commented Dr Peter Marks, director of the FDAs Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. Gene and cell therapies have evolved from promising concepts to practical cancer treatment regimens.
DLBCL is the most common type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in adults. Approximately 77,000 new cases of non-Hodgkin lymphoma are diagnosed in the US each year, with DLBCL accounting for around a third of newly diagnosed cases.
Breyanzi is customised for each patient; their T cells, a type of white blood cell, are collected and genetically modified to include a new gene that facilitates targeting and killing of the lymphoma cells. Once the cells are modified, they are infused back into the patient.
The safety and efficacy of the treatment were established in a multi-centre clinical trial of more than 250 adults with refractory or relapsed large B-cell lymphoma. The complete remission rate after treatment with Breyanzi was 54 percent.
The treatment can cause severe side effects, including cytokine release syndrome (CRS), which is a systemic response to the activation and proliferation of CAR T cells, causing high fever and flu-like symptoms and neurologic toxicities. Both CRS and neurological events can be life-threatening, so the therapy is being approved with a risk evaluation and mitigation strategy (REMS) which includes elements to assure safe use (ETASU).
The requirements include, among other things, that healthcare facilities that dispense Breyanzi be specially certified, with staff involved in the prescribing, dispensing or administering of the treatment being trained to recognise and manage the risks of CRS and neurologic toxicities.
Other side effects include hypersensitivity reactions, serious infections, low blood cell counts and a weakened immune system. According to the FDA, side effects generally appear within the first one to two weeks following treatment, but some side effects may occur later.
To further evaluate the long-term safety, the FDA is also requiring the manufacturer to conduct a post-marketing observational study involving patients treated with Breyanzi.
The approval was granted to Juno Therapeutics Inc., a Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.
Read more from the original source:
- At FDA meeting, gene therapy experts wrestle with field's blindspots - BioPharma Dive - September 5th, 2021
- Astellas again hits pause on gene therapy trial - BioPharma Dive - September 5th, 2021
- Joe Rogan falsely says mRNA vaccines are 'gene therapy' - PolitiFact - September 5th, 2021
- Connecticuts Children first to enroll affordable gene therapy - WTNH.com - September 5th, 2021
- Cell And Gene Therapy Manufacturing Market Size Worth $57.4 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - September 5th, 2021
- Global Gene Therapy Market Top Companies, Size, Growth Analysis, Segmentation, Industry Outlook Analysis , and Forecast 2020 to 2027 UNLV The Rebel... - September 5th, 2021
- Regenerative medicine 2021: report highlights record year for the sector - Clinical Trials Arena - September 5th, 2021
- Science Will Win Podcast: Season 1 - Pfizer - September 5th, 2021
- GenSight Biologics Announces Publication of RESTORE Study Data Demonstrating Sustained Efficacy 3 Years After Unilateral Injection of LUMEVOQ -... - September 5th, 2021
- Novartis, Gates Foundation pursue a simpler gene therapy for sickle cell - STAT - February 17th, 2021
- Affinia Therapeutics Announces Addition of Gene Therapy Scientific and Medical Experts to Leadership Team to Advance Novel Gene Therapy Platform and... - February 17th, 2021
- Avance Biosciences Expanding Houston Campus in Support of Cell and Gene Therapy Drug Development - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Sensorion and Institut Pasteur announce new gene therapy collaboration - BioPharma-Reporter.com - February 17th, 2021
- Gene Therapy GS010 Safe, Well-Tolerated for LHON Patients - MD Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- bluebird bio 'baffled' after NICE rejects beta-thalassaemia gene therapy - - pharmaphorum - February 17th, 2021
- Global Gene Therapy Market Outlook to 2030 - by Therapeutic Approach, Type of Gene Therapy, Type of Vectors Used, Therapeutic Areas, Route of... - February 17th, 2021
- GenSight Biologics' gene therapy proves safe in LHON trial - Clinical Trials Arena - February 17th, 2021
- Sio Gene Therapies to Present at the 10th Annual SVB Leerink Global Healthcare Conference - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Beti-Cel Gene Therapy Frees Patients With Beta-Thalassemia From Red Blood Cell Transfusions - OncLive - February 17th, 2021
- Forge Biologics Receives FDA Fast Track, Orphan Drug, and Rare Pediatric Disease Designations for FBX-101 Gene Therapy for Patients with Krabbe... - February 17th, 2021
- CDMO Vigene plots cell and gene therapy manufacturing expansion, adding 245 new jobs along the way - FiercePharma - February 17th, 2021
- Taysha Gene Therapies Announces Formation of Independent Scientific Advisory Board - Business Wire - February 17th, 2021
- bluebird bio's beta-thalassaemia gene therapy rejected by NICE - PharmaTimes - February 17th, 2021
- Europe Cell and Gene Therapy Market Industry Outlook and Forecast Report 2021-2026 with Data-driven Insights on the Impact of COVID-19 -... - February 17th, 2021
- Europe Cell and Gene Therapy Market Report 2021-2026: Prominent Players are Novartis, Spark Therapeutics, Amgen, Gilead Sciences & Organogenesis -... - February 17th, 2021
- Rentschler Biopharma to build new cell and gene therapy capabilities in the UK - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market to Reflect Impressive Growth Rate During 2020-2027 AveXis, Vineti, uniQure NV, Spark Therapeutics KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - February 17th, 2021
- Genethon and WhiteLab Genomics Join Forces to Enhance Gene Therapy Through Artificial Intelligence - BioSpace - February 17th, 2021
- Avrobio Gene Therapy Shows Early Promise in Fabry, Other Rare Lysosomal Diseases - BioSpace - February 11th, 2021
- Global Genes Announces New Multimedia Series Focused on Advances in Gene Therapy and Editing, in Collaboration with the National Institutes of Health... - February 11th, 2021
- The Europe cell and gene therapy market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 23% during the period 20212026 - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- FLT201 Shows Promise as a Gene Therapy for Gaucher Disease - MD Magazine - February 11th, 2021
- NICE Draft Guidance Recommends that Patients be Denied Access to bluebird bio's Gene Therapy for Life-Limiting Rare Blood Diseas - PharmiWeb.com - February 11th, 2021
- Dyno Therapeutics Announces Publication in Nature Biotechnology Demonstrating Use of Artificial Intelligence to Generate Unprecedented Diversity of... - February 11th, 2021
- Breakthrough gene therapy helps Utah boy thrive - Yahoo News - February 11th, 2021
- Taysha Gene Therapies Announces Participation in Upcoming Investor Healthcare Conferences - Yahoo Finance - February 11th, 2021
- Global Adeno-Associated Virus (AAV) Vectors in Gene Therapy Market to 2030 - Insight, Epidemiology and Forecasts - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - February 11th, 2021
- Amicus Therapeutics Presents Positive Preclinical Fabry Disease Gene Therapy Data at the 17th Annual WORLDSymposium 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Paragon Biosciences Expands Cell And Gene Therapy Platform - Contract Pharma - February 11th, 2021
- FDA Clears IND Application for Passage Bio's Gene Therapy Candidate PBKR03 for Treatment of Patients with Early Infantile Krabbe Disease, A Rare... - February 11th, 2021
- Gene Therapy Market by Therapeutic Approach, Type of Gene Therapy, Type of Vectors Used, Therapeutic Areas, Route of Administration, and Key... - February 11th, 2021
- Europe Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach Revenues of USD 2.9 Billion by 2026 - Arizton - PRNewswire - February 7th, 2021
- FDA Issues More Guidance on Gene and Cell Therapy Products - JD Supra - February 7th, 2021
- Spark Therapeutics Announces First Participant Dosed in Phase 1/2 Study of Investigational Gene Therapy for Late-Onset Pompe Disease - BioSpace - February 7th, 2021
- The gene therapy market is projected to be worth USD 14.6 billion in 2030, growing at a CAGR of 30%, over the next decade, claims Roots Analysis -... - February 7th, 2021
- AGTC Executives Awarded First Place in the BioProcess International Reader's Choice Awards, Cell & Gene Therapies Category - GlobeNewswire - February 7th, 2021
- Retinal Gene Therapy Market: Advent of High-end Technologies to Support Development of the Market - BioSpace - February 7th, 2021
- Sio Gene Therapies Announces Receipt of $11.6 Million from Closing of the Sale of Arvelle Therapeutics - BioSpace - February 7th, 2021
- Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe Commits $250 Million in a Strategic Partnership with Kiniciti, a Newly-Formed Platform Investing in Cell and Gene... - February 7th, 2021
- Sio Gene Therapies Announces First Patient Dosed in Clinical Trial of AXO-AAV-GM2 in Patients with Tay-Sachs and Sandhoff Disease (GM2 Gangliosidosis)... - February 7th, 2021
- Abeona Therapeutics Announces Clinical Investigator Webinar to Review ABO-102 and ABO-101 Clinical Data Presented at the 17th Annual WORLDSymposium -... - February 7th, 2021
- Decibel and Catalent Sign Development and Manufacturing Agreement for Dual-Vector Gene Therapy for the Treatment of Congenital Hearing Loss - Yahoo... - February 7th, 2021
- Meeting the commercialization challenge of a surging gene and cell therapy market - FierceBiotech - February 7th, 2021
- Albumedix enters into collaboration agreement with Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult - PharmiWeb.com - February 7th, 2021
- Adverum Biotechnologies Announces Publication of Preclinical Long-Term Safety Data on ADVM-022 IVT Gene Therapy - BioSpace - February 7th, 2021
- Avacta JV raises $7.3m for cell and gene therapy push | Business Weekly - Business Weekly - February 7th, 2021
- Taysha Gene Therapies Highlights Strategic Priorities and Provides 2021 Business Outlook - Business Wire - February 7th, 2021
- FDA's New Guidance on Cell and Gene Therapy Recommends Assessment of COVID-19 Transmission Risks - Lexology - February 7th, 2021
- After reeling back a gene therapy from Sanofi, a North Carolina upstart bags enough money to do something about it - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy in One Eye Improves Vision in Both Eyes - The Scientist - December 17th, 2020
- After leaving Wall Street to launch a gene therapy upstart, Rachel McMinn nabs $115M to drive her first candidate to the clinic - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Global Gene Therapy Market Report 2020-2030 Featuring Novartis, Bluebird Bio, Spark Therapeutics, Audentes Therapeutics, Voyager Therapeutics,... - December 17th, 2020
- Cell and Gene Therapy Global Market Report 2020-30: COVID-19 Growth and Change - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Passage Bio Invests In Gene Therapy Manufacturing R&D Site - Contract Pharma - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Worth USD 35.67 Billion at 33.6% CAGR; Rising Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy to Augment Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - December 17th, 2020
- Though Promising, Gene Therapies Face Durability And Reimbursement Headwinds - Forbes - December 17th, 2020
- What is gene therapy? - The Star Online - December 17th, 2020
- They thought their gene therapy failed. Instead, it spawned a medical mystery - Endpoints News - December 17th, 2020
- Health Canada approves Zolgensma, the one-time gene therapy for pediatric patients with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) - Canada NewsWire - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Injection in One Eye Improves Vision in Both - Technology Networks - December 17th, 2020
- Locanabio Raises $100 Million to Advance RNA-Targeted Gene Therapies - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Worldwide Gene Therapy Industry to 2025 - Cancer is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share in the Indication Segment - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - December 17th, 2020
- Taysha Gene Therapies Set to Join Russell 2000 Index on December 21, 2020 - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Rare Disease Gene Therapy Market: Increasing cases of genetic diseases to drive the market - BioSpace - December 17th, 2020
- Single gene therapy injection surprisingly boosts vision in both eyes - New Atlas - December 17th, 2020
- Freeline takes the haemophilia B gene therapy fight to Uniqure - Vantage - December 17th, 2020
- Gene Therapy for Hemophilia B Found Safe and Effective in First Phase III Trial - PRNewswire - December 14th, 2020
- ASH: UniQure/CSL hem B gene therapy curbs bleeding in phase 3even in patients with anti-AAV antibodies - FierceBiotech - December 14th, 2020
- Gene Therapy Market Analysis by Vector Type, Application, Region - Global Market Insights, Covid-19 Impact, Competition and Forecast to 2025 -... - December 14th, 2020
- Retinal Gene Therapy Market to Witness Sales Slump in Near Term Due to COVID-19; Long-term Outlook R - PharmiWeb.com - December 14th, 2020