The English naturalist Charles Darwin was born on this day in 1809. He studied the evolution of turtles in the Galapagos Islands of South America. He came up with the theory that the present man had evolved from apes. At that time, the western world believed that god had made man in his likeness, just as a sculptor sculpts a statue with hammer and chisel. Thus, the Bible says, God created humankind in his own image male and female he created them (Genesis 1:27).
Instead, Darwin suggested that there was no intervention by an external entity in the process. Humankind evolved by the process of natural selection. There is a variation in all living species. Some monkeys are supple, others are strong. Those among them that adjusted to the existing environment proliferated, while those that failed to adapt, died. His theory challenged the Biblical concept of God creating mankind.
Darwinism vs the Bible
The opposition to Darwins theory of evolution can be gauged from a discussion held in 1860 between Bishop Samuel Wilberforce and the naturalist Thomas Henry Huxley, a Darwinist, at the University of Oxford. Wilberforce asked Huxley whether he claimed descent from an ape on his grandmothers or grandfathers side? Huxley responded that he would rather be descended from an ape than a man who used his talents to bring ridicule into a serious scientific discussion. The question posed by the Bishop shows that Darwins theory was pitted against the narrative of the Bible.
The issue is equally important for the Hindu religions, although it was apparently not debated at that timeor now. The Vayu Purana says that Brahma created four sets of 1,000 pairs of men and women (8:37-40), just as the Bible says God created humankind. Next, the Bible says, And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul (Genesis 2:7). In parallel, the Vayu Purana tells of Brahmas five efforts at creation: of demons, gods, man, ancestors, and birds and animals from darkness (9:6).
Next, the Bible tells of the creation of Eve from Adams rib. (Genesis 2:21-22). In parallel, the Purana says that Swayambhu and his wife Shatarupa were created by splitting of the body of Brahma (10:7-8). Next, the Bible say that after being expelled from the Garden of Eden, Adam started to till the ground (Genesis 3:23). In parallel, the Vayu Purana says that the trees began to die at one time. People meditated on the matter. Then trees began to grow again in their homes (8:83-90). Therefore, Darwins refuting the Biblical creation of man by God equally refutes the Hindu creation of man by Brahma.
However, this writer would like to believe that Darwin did not actually refute the Bible or the Vayu Purana. The issue hinges on how we understand God or Brahma. Scientists tell us that at one time, the entire universe was contained in a black hole. Then there was a big bang and elements like hydrogen, oxygen, earth, plants, animals and man were created sequentially.
The question arises, where was God or Brahma when the entire universe was contained in the black hole? If we consider that God was in the black hole at that time, then it would follow that God and the universe were the same entity and that God-Universe itself exploded or divided and the world as we know it, came into existence.
'Monist' & 'Monotheist'
In this formula, God is the name of the consciousness of the Universe as contained in the black hole. God is universal consciousness. This possibility matches with the statement in the Upanishads that Brahman thought, I am one, let me be many. This description of God is known as Monist philosophy.
If, on the other hand, God was outside the black hole and he caused the explosion in the black hole, then the question arises: where was God when there was nothing in the universe except the black hole? This description of God is known as Monotheist philosophy.
Be that as it may, if we accept the Monist approach, then the ideas of Darwin, the Bible and the Hindu ideas of the creation of man become consistent with each other. In that case, we may understand that the inner consciousness of the ape caused the ape to evolve and it became man.
Male & female consciousness
In continuation of the above, when the Bible says that God created Eve from Adams rib (Genesis 2:21-22), or the Vayu Purana says that Brahma divided his body of darkness into Swayambhu Manu and his wife Shatarupa; we may understand this as the evolution of the human consciousness into male and female consciousnesses.
Mankind had already been created, according to the Bible and the Vayu Purana. Biblical scholars, such as Nahum M Sarna, author of the JPS Biblical Commentary and David Wenham, author of the Word Biblical Commentary, say that the creation of Eve from Adams rib actually describes the beginning of the institution of marriage. The same idea is encapsulated in the Vayu Purana saying that Shatarupa accepted Swayambhu Manu as her husband.
Darwin represents a fundamental break in the understanding of God. He has caused us to think whether God was an external entity that created man, so to say, with a hammer and a chisel; or whether God was an all-pervasive internal entity that evolved. The road opened by Darwin still needs to be walked on. One key difference in the Abrahamic- and Hindu religions is that the Abrahamic religions think of God as an external entity, while Hindu religions think of Brahman as an internal and all-pervasive entity. The time is at hand to resolve this debate, thanks to Darwin.
The writer is former Professor of Economics, IIM Bengaluru.
View original post here:
- Woke Comes Back to Bite the Darwinists and They Deserve It - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - January 11th, 2022
- Confusing Artificial Selection with Darwinism - Discovery Institute - January 11th, 2022
- Is Darwinism a Theory in Crisis? - Discovery Institute - October 20th, 2021
- DNA Energy Code: Survival of the Fittest Phenomenon Is Only Part of the Evolution Equation - SciTechDaily - February 20th, 2021
- Remembering Tom Bethell: Wordsmith of Courage and Controversy - KMJ Now - February 20th, 2021
- A True Portrait of Tom Bethell - Discovery Institute - February 20th, 2021
- Iconoclast: Farewell to Tom Bethell - Discovery Institute - February 20th, 2021
- What Is Mutual Aid? | How to Get Involved in the Community Movement - MarieClaire.com - February 20th, 2021
- Random Evolution Doesn't Produce Algorithmic Functions in Animals - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - February 20th, 2021
- One People, One House: The truth about race IS there is no race - masslive.com - February 20th, 2021
- Darwin and Race: Three Strikes, He's Out - Discovery Institute - February 11th, 2021
- DigiPlus Conclave: Optimism and imagination are key approaches for dealing with technology - ETBrandEquity.com - February 11th, 2021
- Jonathan Wells: Scientific Revolutions and Counter-Revolutions - Discovery Institute - February 11th, 2021
- Past and prologue: Engaging with our history | Columnists | eastoregonian.com - East Oregonian - February 11th, 2021
- Excerpt: Darwinism and Design - Discovery Institute - December 5th, 2020
- Darwin's Finches: Galpagos Islands as an Evolutionary Model - Discovery Institute - December 5th, 2020
- Agency Darwinism: Will Covid-19 force the agency world to drag itself into the future? - The Drum - September 8th, 2020
- Alfred Russel Wallace: Shedding Light on Darwin's Shadow - Discovery Institute - September 8th, 2020
- Darwinism Paved the Way to Our Perilous Cultural Moment - Discovery Institute - August 11th, 2020
- Ignoring the Obvious: Convergent Evolution in Strickberger's Evolution - Discovery Institute - August 10th, 2020
- Darwinism - Wikipedia - August 6th, 2020
- Darwinism | Definition & Facts | Britannica - August 6th, 2020
- An Evolution Definition of Darwinism - ThoughtCo - August 6th, 2020
- Social Darwinism - HISTORY - August 6th, 2020
- Darwinism 2048 | Addicting Games - August 6th, 2020
- How Darwin Shaped the Young Joseph Stalin - Discovery Institute - July 27th, 2020
- social Darwinism | Definition & Facts | Britannica - July 21st, 2020
- Darwinism Would Fare Poorly Against Pandemics - Discovery Institute - July 11th, 2020
- On "Darwinism" - Scientific American Blog Network - June 9th, 2020
- Darwinism Quotes (148 quotes) - Goodreads - June 9th, 2020
- Darwinism in full play as the pandemic rages - Deccan Herald - June 9th, 2020
- Behe Vindicated Again: Sherpas Climb Everest Easier, Because Darwin Devolves - Discovery Institute - June 1st, 2020
- 52 ideas that changed the world - 49. Ecology - The Week (UK) - June 1st, 2020
- Sickle Cell, Darwinism, and COVID-19: Is My Life Worth Less Than... - Sickle Cell Anemia News - April 27th, 2020
- What Is Darwinism? - ThoughtCo - April 24th, 2020
- 'Kiss the Son, lest He be angry' | Columns - Weatherford Democrat - April 12th, 2020
- Darwinism: Survival without Purpose | The Institute for ... - April 2nd, 2020
- As Netanyahu and Gantz prepare for unity, social Darwinism is at the gates - Haaretz - April 2nd, 2020
- Culling the old & weak: Eugenics and social Darwinism rear their ugly heads in the Covid-19 pandemic - RT - April 2nd, 2020
- How Emily Dickinson Wrestled with Darwinism - JSTOR Daily - March 21st, 2020
- VIDEO: The Unholy Trinity Atheism, Feminism and Darwinism - 5Pillars - March 9th, 2020
- Was Darwin wrong about 'survival of the fittest'? Collaboration may be just as natural as competition - Genetic Literacy Project - January 30th, 2020
- Darwin on Trial As Fresh and Relevant as Ever - Discovery Institute - November 8th, 2019
- Your Witness, Mr. Johnson: A Retrospective Review of Darwin on Trial - Discovery Institute - November 8th, 2019
- Bible revelation: Richard Dawkins reveals Charles Darwin theory for Noahs Ark - Express.co.uk - October 16th, 2019
- Pop Social Darwinism in Contemporary American Capitalist Society: the Marketization of Che as Individualist Symbol - CounterPunch - October 8th, 2019
- Darwinism | biology | Britannica.com - April 20th, 2019
- Darwinism - New World Encyclopedia - April 20th, 2019
- An Evolution Definition of Darwinism - thoughtco.com - April 20th, 2019
- Social Darwinism - Wikipedia - April 20th, 2019
- social Darwinism | Definition & Facts | Britannica.com - March 6th, 2019
- Urban Dictionary: Darwinism - March 6th, 2019
- Darwinism - Free online games at Gamesgames.com - December 27th, 2018
- Challenge B Origins Six More Summers - October 5th, 2018
- What is Social Darwinism - AllAboutScience.org - August 24th, 2018
- Pseudo-scientific racism and Social Darwinism | South ... - August 24th, 2018
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and ... - August 19th, 2018
- Challenge B Origins | Six More Summers - July 2nd, 2018
- Neo-Darwinism - Wikipedia - June 23rd, 2018
- Social Darwinism: The Theory of Evolution Applied to Human ... - June 8th, 2018
- Digital Darwinism (9780749482282) - Kogan Page - May 21st, 2018
- Nazi racial ideology was religious, creationist and ... - May 21st, 2018
- Marketing Darwinism | by Paul Dunay - May 8th, 2018
- What is Social Darwinism - Science - AllAboutScience.org - April 24th, 2018
- Digital Darwinism: How Disruptive Technology Is Changing ... - April 24th, 2018
- Social Darwinism: The Theory of Evolution Applied to Human Society - April 10th, 2018
- Darwin's Influence on Ruthless Laissez Faire Capitalism - March 26th, 2018
- What is Social Darwinism - March 22nd, 2018
- The Institute for Creation Research - March 22nd, 2018
- The Royal Society's Evolution Meeting: James MacAllister ... - March 22nd, 2018
- Darwinism: Survival without Purpose - The Institute for ... - March 19th, 2018
- How Darwinism Corrodes Morality: Darwinism, Immorality ... - March 16th, 2018
- Economic Darwinism | On the origin of crises by unnatural ... - March 16th, 2018
- The Imminent Death of Darwinism and the Rise of ... - February 24th, 2018
- FitzRoy, Captain of the Beagle, Fierce Critic of Darwinism - February 24th, 2018
- The eclipse of Darwinism - Wikipedia - January 26th, 2018
- Modern synthesis - Wikipedia - August 25th, 2017
- The Effect of Darwinism on Morality and Christianity | The ... - August 25th, 2017
- Darwinism and the Nazi race Holocaust - creation.com - August 25th, 2017
- 'Radical' new biography of Darwin is unreliable and inaccurate - New Scientist - August 25th, 2017