Inever thought I would be coming out against free speech and Im not, exactly.
Its more like an over-abundance of free speech at inappropriate times.
I am all for free speech. I usually say what I think, sometimes when I shouldnt say anything at all. And I wish more people would say, publicly, what they think.
Paradoxically, the most difficult thing to get in a newspaper in a small town is honest opinion. People are shy, or more likely overly concerned about what their boss, friends, neighbors or family will think of them for it.
They may say a lot privately but not in a public, on-the-record setting.
But lately there has been an exception: governmental meetings.
People should be able, and encouraged, to make their feelings known to elected officials. But there is a time and a place.
This past week New Albany aldermen met to reach a final decision on next years budget. The meeting ran nearly three hours and much of what was said was relevant to the unfortunate and uncomfortable situation concerning the civic center.
But much of what was said had nothing to do directly with the budget and the meeting had the air of a verbal free-for-all.
The Union County Board of Supervisors allows comments from the public and others present at their meetings, but this never really gets out of hand.
The New Albany School Board takes a more draconian approach: no one is allowed to speak up during a meeting unless that person is on the agenda and even trustees themselves appear reluctant to raise questions. People have effectively been exiled for flouting the rules.
As much as I hate to say it, aldermen need to institute a similar rule in order to keep order and deal with business in a business-like way.
Only those on the agenda should be allowed to speak and they should be given a reasonable time limit that is enforced.
Board members or the mayor can control follow-up questions or comments, or perhaps there can be a time of informal discussion following the formal meeting.
But the verbal wild west attitude is getting out of hand.
The public should be allowed to speak, but they should also show common sense as to when they speak up and whether it is appropriate to the situation.
View original post here:
- Trump Executive Order Misreads Key Law Promoting Free Expression Online and Violates the First Amendment - EFF - June 4th, 2020
- SHARON RANDALL: The Fifth Freedom - Scottsbluff Star Herald - June 4th, 2020
- EFF Files Amicus Brief with Top French Court to Bring Down Controversial Avia Bill - EFF - June 4th, 2020
- After Reality Stars Death, Japan Vows to Rip the Mask Off Online Hate - The New York Times - June 4th, 2020
- The US Supreme Court vs the First Amendment - The Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Two Universities React as Antisemitism Steps Out of the Shadows - Lubavitch.com - April 27th, 2020
- Article 19: The freedom of Speech and expression - India Today - April 27th, 2020
- After FIRs for Hate Speech, Arnab Goswami Will Be Back in the Studio With SC Protection - Qrius - April 27th, 2020
- Halting disinformation in a time of pandemic: the need to tread very carefully - The Hill Times - April 27th, 2020
- China's 'wolf warrior' diplomats show teeth in defending virus response - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- FREEDOM OF PRESS IN AGE OF 'RETREATING DEMOCRACY' - Kashmir Reader - April 27th, 2020
- Wars Are Bad For Free SpeechThe Coronavirus War Will Be No Exception - The National Interest - April 3rd, 2020
- Forging the Four Freedoms Initiative for prosperity and peace in the Balkans - Atlantic Council - April 3rd, 2020
- Devoleena Bhattacharjee: Cyber bullies are misusing their right to freedom of speech - Times of India - April 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus: Hungarys right-wing leader given unlimited powers that could curb free speech - Mirror Online - April 3rd, 2020
- The Centre Is Back to Using the Bogey of 'Fake News' to Try and Suppress Press Freedom - The Wire - April 3rd, 2020
- Scholars Call for Limits on Freedom of Speech - The Heartland Institute - March 25th, 2020
- Opinion | Have hope - alreporter.com - March 25th, 2020
- Dissent in a time of Covid - Spiked - March 25th, 2020
- How Bad Is Online Harassment? - Reason - March 25th, 2020
- How to win the campus free-speech wars - Spiked - March 16th, 2020
- University free speech society told it is a 'red risk' and needs to have all external speakers vetted - Telegraph.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- Why Toby Young and other robust white men are using free speech to whip universities - The Guardian - March 4th, 2020
- Behind the SECs War on Freedom of Speech - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- NRB Resolves that Religious Liberty & Freedom of Speech Must Prevail - MissionsBox - March 4th, 2020
- 10 Chinese Readers Share Their Stories of the Coronavirus Crisis - The New York Times - March 4th, 2020
- No platforming nowhere near as productive as debate or conversation - The Badger Herald - March 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is the Technology of Dissent That Secures Individual Liberties - Bitcoin Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Fighting corruption can unite the American people - The Fulcrum - March 4th, 2020
- The Guardian is not a fan of Toby Young or free speech - The Post Millennial - March 4th, 2020
- ASUC fails students when it comes to free speech - Daily Californian - February 29th, 2020
- Toby Young's 'Free Speech Union' is illogical - and more to the point, it won't work - inews - February 29th, 2020
- Baranyai: Defending free speech requires we condemn offensive ideas - The London Free Press - February 29th, 2020
- An Instagram Account That Accused Subodh Gupta of Sexual Harassment Has Agreed to Apologize in Exchange for the Artist Dropping His Lawsuit - artnet... - February 29th, 2020
- How progressives and conservatives have changed the debate over freedom of speech - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - February 22nd, 2020
- How the Hare Krishna led to a free speech booth at St. Louis airport - Alton Telegraph - February 22nd, 2020
- OPINION: The importance of freedom of speech in the christian community - Argonaut - February 22nd, 2020
- Netanyahu Boasts That He Destroyed Free Speech in America - Truthdig - February 22nd, 2020
- What We Really Mean by Free Speech - Jewish Journal - February 22nd, 2020
- Verbum Ultimum: Crying Wolf - The Dartmouth - February 22nd, 2020
- Calls for freedom of speech on rise in China as coronavirus death toll soars to over 1,100 - Outlook India - February 12th, 2020
- Education secretary Gavin Williamson says universities must do more to protect free speech or the government will - PinkNews - February 12th, 2020
- Morocco: Crackdown against activists for criticizing the King, public institutions and officials - Amnesty International - February 12th, 2020
- Dr. Ricky Jones talks to students after anti-gay pamphlets were handed out to LGBTQ-focused classroom - WHAS11.com - February 11th, 2020
- Swiss vote to approve legislation to protect LGBTQ+ rights - The Guardian - February 11th, 2020
- Julian Assange Wins 2020 Gary Webb Freedom of the Press Award - Consortium News - February 11th, 2020
- In a small state of poetry: Why poets are on the front lines of the free-speech fight - The Providence Journal - February 7th, 2020
- Bill that would extend freedom of speech to student journalists amended in committee - Fauquier Times - February 7th, 2020
- Editorial: Ohio Senate bill on free speech goes further than it should - The Columbus Dispatch - February 7th, 2020
- Faculty asked Zimmer for an open forum to discuss UChicago's free speech policy. Here's what they got instead. - The Chicago Maroon - February 7th, 2020
- No, Boris is not the most 'sinister' threat to media freedom - Spiked - February 7th, 2020
- Removing Section 144 Will Lead to 'Chaos', Free Speech 'Not Absolute': Ahmedabad Police - The Wire - February 7th, 2020
- Why Middlebury was deemed one of the worst colleges for free speech according to FIRE - Burlington Free Press - February 6th, 2020
- In One Month, For Freedoms Will Stage the Largest Congress of Creatives in Americas History. Will You Join Us? - artnet News - February 6th, 2020
- What BDN readers think about planned live-action 'Bambi' movie - Bangor Daily News - February 6th, 2020
- What are the limits of freedom of speech? - The New Indian Express - February 6th, 2020
- 'You're the ENEMY of free speech' Piers Morgan slams 'snowflakes triggered by everything' - Express - February 6th, 2020
- Quillen Op-Ed: 'How to Protect Free Speech in the Age of Mass Shootings' - Davidson News - January 19th, 2020
- Brazils Top Culture Official Fired Over Speech Evoking Nazi Propaganda - The New York Times - January 19th, 2020
- Franklin Republican wants to make it a crime to burn symbol of liberty - The Union Leader - January 19th, 2020
- Experts warn of foreign disinformation in 2020 election that could 'annihilate truth' - The Daily World - January 19th, 2020
- Editorial: NH House should reject bill that violates freedom of the press - Seacoastonline.com - January 19th, 2020
- Montclair State Univ. Sued for 'Unconstitutional' Speech Policy and Favoring One Student Group Over Another Based on Their Beliefs - CBN News - January 19th, 2020
- Sheffield Arena urged to cancel event by 'homophobic' Trump ally - The Guardian - January 19th, 2020
- Free Speech Left for Space as Professor Fired Over a Political Joke - Ask the Truth - January 19th, 2020
- Join the Inquisition or lose your job: wasn't Hong Kong meant to give peace a chance? - Hong Kong Free Press - January 19th, 2020
- Appeals Court reverses conviction in freedom of speech case - Whidbey News-Times - January 5th, 2020
- The war on free speech in Tanzania - The Week Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Ricky Gervais: 'Offense is the collateral damage of free speech' - Washington Times - January 5th, 2020
- Non-profit sues Iowa State University on grounds of free speech infringement - Local 5 - weareiowa.com - January 5th, 2020
- 'Anne with an E' Season 3 Episode 7 Review: Free speech crusade makes it one of the best episodes on TV - MEAWW - January 5th, 2020
- How I Learned to Love Free Speech - The Good Men Project - December 25th, 2019
- 2019 was the year 'cancel culture' took on a gorgeously messy life of its own - Mashable - December 25th, 2019
- Rugby League: Toronto Wolfpack say Sonny Bill Williams has 'right to freedom of speech' after Uighur tweet - Newshub - December 25th, 2019
- From the Age of Persuasion to the Age of Offense - lareviewofbooks - December 25th, 2019
- California Freelancers Sue To Stop Law That's Destroying Their Jobs. Pol Says Those 'Were Never Good Jobs' Anyway. - Reason - December 25th, 2019
- LeBron James angers Hong Kong protesters with free speech comments - PBS NewsHour - October 16th, 2019
- Internet Industry Under the Microscope as House Committee Grills Witnesses on Liability for Online Content - BroadbandBreakfast.com - October 16th, 2019
- The Arizona Supreme Court Strikes a Powerful Blow for Free Speech and Religious Freedom - National Review - September 19th, 2019
- The Growing Right-Wing Threat to Campus Free Speech - Reason - September 19th, 2019