Inever thought I would be coming out against free speech and Im not, exactly.
Its more like an over-abundance of free speech at inappropriate times.
I am all for free speech. I usually say what I think, sometimes when I shouldnt say anything at all. And I wish more people would say, publicly, what they think.
Paradoxically, the most difficult thing to get in a newspaper in a small town is honest opinion. People are shy, or more likely overly concerned about what their boss, friends, neighbors or family will think of them for it.
They may say a lot privately but not in a public, on-the-record setting.
But lately there has been an exception: governmental meetings.
People should be able, and encouraged, to make their feelings known to elected officials. But there is a time and a place.
This past week New Albany aldermen met to reach a final decision on next years budget. The meeting ran nearly three hours and much of what was said was relevant to the unfortunate and uncomfortable situation concerning the civic center.
But much of what was said had nothing to do directly with the budget and the meeting had the air of a verbal free-for-all.
The Union County Board of Supervisors allows comments from the public and others present at their meetings, but this never really gets out of hand.
The New Albany School Board takes a more draconian approach: no one is allowed to speak up during a meeting unless that person is on the agenda and even trustees themselves appear reluctant to raise questions. People have effectively been exiled for flouting the rules.
As much as I hate to say it, aldermen need to institute a similar rule in order to keep order and deal with business in a business-like way.
Only those on the agenda should be allowed to speak and they should be given a reasonable time limit that is enforced.
Board members or the mayor can control follow-up questions or comments, or perhaps there can be a time of informal discussion following the formal meeting.
But the verbal wild west attitude is getting out of hand.
The public should be allowed to speak, but they should also show common sense as to when they speak up and whether it is appropriate to the situation.
View original post here:
- LeBron James angers Hong Kong protesters with free speech comments - PBS NewsHour - October 16th, 2019
- Internet Industry Under the Microscope as House Committee Grills Witnesses on Liability for Online Content - BroadbandBreakfast.com - October 16th, 2019
- The Arizona Supreme Court Strikes a Powerful Blow for Free Speech and Religious Freedom - National Review - September 19th, 2019
- The Growing Right-Wing Threat to Campus Free Speech - Reason - September 19th, 2019
- Freedom of Speech Protects Calligraphers' Right Not to Create Custom Same-Sex Wedding Invitations - Reason - September 19th, 2019
- Nicholls holds freedom of speech panel discussion - Daily Comet - September 19th, 2019
- Remembering why free speech is important - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - September 19th, 2019
- Wheaton College Students Sue Chicago for Banning Them From Evangelizing at The Bean - The Daily Beast - September 19th, 2019
- A Revival of Free Speech (and True Tolerance) - Townhall - September 19th, 2019
- Appeals Court: No, Lynching Threats Are Not Free Speech - Patheos - September 19th, 2019
- Why oppose banning books and free speech? - Seacoastonline.com - September 19th, 2019
- The litmus test for free speech - The Hindu - September 19th, 2019
- The Right Wings War on the L.G.B.T.Q. Community - The New Yorker - September 19th, 2019
- Reactions Mixed After Brush & Nib Ruling - KJZZ - September 19th, 2019
- There is no free press: Freedom of speech in Mexico | DW ... - February 20th, 2019
- Europes Freedom of Speech Fail Foreign Policy - February 13th, 2019
- Benefits Of Freedom of Speech Benefits Of - February 13th, 2019
- Freedom of speech - Wikiquote - November 13th, 2018
- Freedom of Speech Quotes - QuotesHunter - November 13th, 2018
- Freedom of Speech: General - Bill of Rights Institute - November 13th, 2018
- What Are Examples of Freedom of Speech? | Reference.com - November 1st, 2018
- The Importance of Freedom of Speech in College Essay ... - November 1st, 2018
- Freedom Of Speech Quotes (305 quotes) - October 8th, 2018
- Freedom of Speech: Mightier Than the Sword: David K ... - September 28th, 2018
- Freedom Of Speech Quotes (300 quotes) - September 6th, 2018
- Freedom of Speech - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com - September 6th, 2018
- Freedom Of Speech Quotes (298 quotes) - August 9th, 2018
- Freedom Of Speech Quotes (297 quotes) - July 14th, 2018
- Why Is Freedom of Speech Important? | Reference.com - April 20th, 2018
- The Iceberg/Freedom of Speech... Just Watch What You Say ... - February 14th, 2018
- The Iceberg/Freedom of Speech... Just Watch What You Say! - February 2nd, 2018
- A free-speech rally, minus the free speech - The Boston Globe - August 25th, 2017
- Poll: 85 Percent Say Freedom of Speech More Important Than Not Offending Others - Breitbart News - August 25th, 2017
- 73% Say Freedom of Speech Worth Dying For - Rasmussen Reports - August 25th, 2017
- A Free-speech Rally, Minus the Free Speech - Townhall - August 24th, 2017
- Freedom of speech is for all - The Register-Guard - August 22nd, 2017
- Why Even Nazis Deserve Free Speech - POLITICO Magazine - August 22nd, 2017
- Free Speech: The Left Moves In for the Kill - PJ Media - August 22nd, 2017
- So, just how guaranteed is your freedom of speech online? | New ... - New York Post - August 21st, 2017
- A KKK chief just threatened to 'burn' all immigrants freedom of speech has gone too far - The Independent - August 21st, 2017
- Hate speech v free speech: Where is the line? Part 1 - Aljazeera.com - August 21st, 2017
- Will Britain's crackdown on internet trolls undermine freedom of speech? - RT - August 21st, 2017
- Is hate speech protected by American law? Quartz - Quartz - August 19th, 2017
- Hate on the Web: Does banning neo-Nazi websites raise free-speech issues for the rest of us? - Los Angeles Times - August 19th, 2017
- Letters: A clarion call for free speech - Press-Enterprise - August 18th, 2017
- 'Swedish police should prioritize crimes against freedom of speech' - The Local Sweden - August 18th, 2017
- Boston Free Speech Rally Permit Approved - CBS Boston / WBZ - August 16th, 2017
- Free Speech and Assembly in Hong Kong - New York Times - August 16th, 2017
- Strange bedfellows: The ACLU, free speech and Neo-Nazis - ABC News - August 16th, 2017
- Free speech and White Supremacy at Texas A & M (and elsewhere) - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- Free speech comes at a price - Spectrum News - August 16th, 2017
- Today in actual free speech violations: DOJ issues warrant for info on protesters - A.V. Club - August 15th, 2017
- Neo-Nazis have the right to free speech. They don't have the right to deny it to the rest of us - Quartz - August 14th, 2017
- In Defense of Lance Armstrong and His Freedom of Speech - Outside Magazine - August 14th, 2017
- SMU reverses decision to move 9/11 memorial after free speech ... - USA TODAY - August 12th, 2017
- Their view: Google memo is not a free speech issue - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - August 12th, 2017
- Google Supports Freedom Of Speech For Child Sex Traffickers, But Not Conservatives - The Federalist - August 12th, 2017
- Freedom Of Speech: Poland Plots Restrictions On Foreign Media And US Companies Could Be Hit - Newsweek - August 10th, 2017
- Free-speech rights don't apply in the American workplace, as Google demonstrates - Quartz - August 9th, 2017
- Google's Free Speech & Diversity But | National Review - National Review - August 9th, 2017
- SMU Student Groups: Moving The 9/11 Memorial Restricts Freedom of Speech - Texas Monthly - August 9th, 2017
- The War on Free Speech Turns Further Left - Capital Research Center - Capital Research Center - August 9th, 2017
- 'A declaration of war on freedom of speech' - Arutz Sheva - August 7th, 2017
- Yassmin Abdel-Magied: where were my free-speech defenders? - The Age - August 7th, 2017
- Is the Israel Anti-Boycott Act an infringement of free speech? - The Jerusalem Post mobile website - August 7th, 2017
- Speaking free: Congress shall make no law on campus speech - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - August 7th, 2017
- Liberals intent on eliminating free speech - New Castle News - August 4th, 2017
- Vice-Chancellors urged to stop deterioration of free speech on campus - Telegraph.co.uk - August 4th, 2017
- North Carolina Campus Free Speech Act: Goldwater Proposal ... - National Review - August 1st, 2017
- Talking Campus Free Speech on Capitol Hill - FrontPage Magazine - August 1st, 2017
- Letter to the Editor: Johnson County Sheriff's Office protects free speech - The Daily Iowan - August 1st, 2017
- Merkel, Germany, the Media and Free Speech - National Review - July 31st, 2017
- Hassan should support freedom of speech - Seacoastonline.com - July 31st, 2017
- Soy milk is at the epicenter of a global free-speech debate - Quartz - July 31st, 2017
- 'It's a Massive Assault on Free Speech': Australian Leaders React to Proposed 'Jesus Ban' in Schools - CBN News - July 29th, 2017
- Comedian Adam Carolla Testifies on Free Speech Abuse Before ... - Capital Research Center - July 29th, 2017
- Who should police free speech on college campuses? Congress wants to know - USA TODAY - July 29th, 2017
- Ben Shapiro and Adam Carolla Tell Congress the Truth About Free Speech - National Review - July 29th, 2017
- 'Controversy, not artistry': How the media covers Arab art - Deutsche Welle - July 29th, 2017
- GOP Rep. on Campus Free Speech: Students and Faculty Are 'Forced Into Self-Censorship' - Washington Free Beacon - July 27th, 2017