E DITOR Want to stop COVID-19? Start wearing a face mask
To the editor: Many people are confused about face masks because back in April the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) issued statements suggesting they were not needed. Both institutions have changed and now strongly recommend face masks.
There are several reasons for the change, but mostly it is because the coronavirus is constantly evolving and we are learning more about it. We now know the virus is commonly spread simply by people speaking. The virus organisms are expelled from a persons lungs when they speak and can float in the air for as much as eight hours. A face mask prevents some from being expelled and slows those that are so they do not travel as far from the speaker.
That is why social distancing is so important. You have a much greater chance of being infected by standing close to someone that is infected. If the virus cannot infect another individual, it goes through its infectious cycle and appears to die. The vast majority of scientists say if everyone would wear a face mask and use social distancing for two weeks, we could be on the way to beating COVID-19, and cautiously re-opening our businesses and our schools.
In addition to killing some of its victims, we now know COVID-19 affects other organs that can have long, life altering results. We know COVID-19 infects young children and they can pass it on to others. We know that going to parties or attending other social, religious, or governmental gatherings helps to spread COVID-19 and perpetuates the pandemic.
Its simple; you can help re-open our schools and our economy, and you might save your own or someone elses life by wearing a face mask, washing your hands and social distancing. If you do not do these things you are part of the problem.
Colby Fire/EMS decides to cancel Aug. 5 banquet
To the editor: You may have heard by now that the Colby Fire Ems Associations banquet has been cancelled. The banquet was going to be Aug. 5.
Due to the uncertain decisions of the Clark and Marathon health departments, we felt this was the best decision at this time. With the number of people who attend and the size of the VFW hall, we could not properly social distance.
Our members will be contacting ticket holders and the businesses that made donations already. Hold on to your tickets so we can refund your money.
If the member that sold you a ticket does not contact you within the next few weeks, please feel free to reach out to them.
We appreciate your understanding and support. We look forward to seeing you in April 2021.
Colby Fire/ EMS Association
Poor leadership produces bad results for the U.S.
To the editor: Leaders of the European Common Market and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau have several things in common that leave them, and the current condition of their countries, in stark contrast to President Trump.
They have had national requirements for wearing face masks and have enforced social distancing. They instituted economic recovery plans that kept people employed and they enjoyed universal health care that paid medical bills. They have the trust and respect of a majority of their citizens while they work together to defeat a common enemy.
Finally, they invest in, believe in, and work with science.
President Trump said he believes face masks are not important and encouraged people in several states to protest social distancing. The $2 trillion U.S. Economic Recovery plan encouraged extended unemployment and Trump has consistently attempted to gut the Affordable Care Act which provides health care for millions of Americans.
Trump is a nationalist and has refused to work with other countries to defeat COVID-19, first defunding the World Health Organization and then withdrawing from it. He abolished the National Security Councils Pandemic Response Team in 2018, cut funding to the Centers for Disease Control by $690 million, and has never relied on science to help fight COVID-19.
The result of these differences and more is that Canadian and European economies are opening back up while ours is closing down. Coronavirus transmission rates in Canada and Europe are less than 20 per 100,000 while in the U.S. they are greater than 120 per 100,000!
We are still fighting over face masks, enduring an increase in daily deaths and are a nation divided with our economy in chaos with no recovery plan while much of the industrialized world is slowly moving forward. COVID-19 is out of control, our economy is a disaster, and both are due in large part to a terrible lack of leadership by President Trump.
Darlene and Dennis Bucheger Greenwood
President Trump clearly violated U.S. Constitution
To the editor: President Trumps recent actions to deploy federal agents in American cities, against American citizens, violate Article 1, Section 8 and Article 3, Section 4 of the Constitution of the United States.
When those agents appeared in uniforms with no agency or personal identifi cation and apprehended a protester, shoving him into an unmarked vehicle without saying where they were taking him or why, they were in clear violation of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution. The Fourth Amendment states, The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated. . .
We know Trump admires the most tyrannical dictators in the world and has expressed a desire to have those same dictatorial powers. It should be frightening to anyone concerned with civil liberties, including the right to assemble, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and the right to petition the government as is granted in the First Amendment.
Trump has declared himself to be your law and order president and thinks of himself as a war time president. He has called for the military to be deployed to dominate protesters. His acting secretary for Homeland Security said he is protecting federal property and indicated these agents will be deployed to other American cities.
Despite Congress being in session and no requests from the states, Trump feels free to violate several articles of the most sacred document this country has. Can you imagine what he will do if he is reelected? Conspiracy planners are suggesting the placement of federal troops in cities around the nation as part of Plan B in case he is not re-elected and attempts to stay in office. He is violating fundamental American laws and should be stopped. Where are our representatives in Congress? Their silence is deafening.
Richard A. Slone Neillsville
- Govt That Spies Has Insatiable Appetite - KMJ Now - February 4th, 2021
- No-knock search warrants began in Wisconsin, Rep. Myers wants to end them here - Wisconsin Examiner - February 4th, 2021
- Close the Gaps - East Bay Express - February 4th, 2021
- Is Americas Approach to Cannabis Racist? Study Shows Its Worse Than You Think - GreenState - February 4th, 2021
- Federal appeals court allows reporters to sue SWAT officer who tear-gassed them during Ferguson protests - JURIST - February 4th, 2021
- Invoking Scalia, Sotomayor Presses for Broad Fourth Amendment Protections - Reason - October 30th, 2020
- EFF Files Amicus Brief Arguing That Law Enforcement Access to Wi-Fi Derived Location Data Violates the Fourth Amendment - EFF - October 30th, 2020
- Main Points Of The Fourth Amendment To Chinese Patent Law (Approved On October 17, 2020, Effective From June 1, 2021) - Intellectual Property - China... - October 30th, 2020
- Column: Michigan can bring privacy into the 21st century - The Oakland Press - October 30th, 2020
- IMPD dismissed from Dreasjon Reed lawsuit - WTHR - October 30th, 2020
- The Criminal Justice of Amy Coney Barrett - Washington Monthly - October 30th, 2020
- A guide to the statewide constitutional amendments on the ballot in November 2020 - Yellowhammer News - October 30th, 2020
- RUTHS HOSPITALITY GROUP, INC. : Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement, Creation of a Direct Financial Obligation or an Obligation under an... - October 30th, 2020
- Assembly Committee Clears Verrelli & Benson Bill Protecting Employees from Employer Tracking Device Violations - InsiderNJ - October 30th, 2020
- The tyranny of the experts - Leader & Times - October 30th, 2020
- Mike R. Galli is recognized by Continental Who's Who - PRNewswire - October 30th, 2020
- Mail Voting Litigation in 2020, Part II: Submission of Mail-In Ballots - Lawfare - October 30th, 2020
- In its 4th revision to the SEC, Palantir tries to explain what the hell is going on - TechCrunch - September 20th, 2020
- City of Pierre among South Dakota towns ordered to pay a total of $440000 because of forced catheterizations - Drgnews - September 20th, 2020
- Former Torrington officer seeks to have evidence suppressed before trial - Scottsbluff Star Herald - September 20th, 2020
- Council To Have One-Day Session To Learn About Police - The Rhino TImes - September 20th, 2020
- Things to Know Before Your Neighborhood Installs an Automated License Plate Reader - EFF - September 20th, 2020
- Attorney argues Haynes and his brother bribed witness to recant his testimony in 1999 murder case - Kankakee Daily Journal - September 20th, 2020
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburgs Lasting Impact on U.S. Traffic Laws - The Art of Gears - September 20th, 2020
- Editorial, August 10, 2020: Your cellphone might be "Big Brother" - Richmond.com - August 10th, 2020
- Legal Brief: Surveillance and the Fourth Amendment - SecurityInfoWatch - August 10th, 2020
- Common Ways to Fight Against a Drug Possession Charge - Student Assembly of the State University of New York - August 10th, 2020
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Grant Qualified Immunity on First Amendment Retaliation Claim: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People For the... - August 10th, 2020
- Did Judge Reeves Reach the Correct Result in Jamison v. McClendon? - Reason - August 10th, 2020
- The Police Lie. All the Time. Can Anything Stop Them? - Slate - August 10th, 2020
- The Court of Justice of the European Union in Schrems II: The impact of GDPR on data flows and national security - Brookings Institution - August 10th, 2020
- Calls for police reform and racial justice spur a flurry of resolutions before the ABA House - ABA Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Reporters Committee amicus brief in Alasaad v. Wolf - Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - August 8th, 2020
- Meet the Judge Who Thinks a Black Man Walking Around Is a Crime - Rewire.News - August 8th, 2020
- Who will police Springfields cops? - The Boston Globe - August 8th, 2020
- 'Defund the police' is not a real reform strategy - The Maine Wire - August 8th, 2020
- Assessing Indias obsession with data localisation - Deccan Herald - August 8th, 2020
- How 9/11 and the US Civil War provided the framework for federal agents in Portland - News@Northeastern - August 7th, 2020
- Senators Graham And Blumenthal Can't Even 'Earn' The EARN IT Act: Looking To Sneak Vote Through Without Debate - Techdirt - August 6th, 2020
- The Constitutional Case Against Trumps Use of the Department of Homeland Security - The New Yorker - August 6th, 2020
- 'Trump's Troops Are Breaking the Law and Creating Chaos' - FAIR - August 6th, 2020
- Portland demonstrates that government spying on citizens has become commonplace, and easy - Washington Times - August 6th, 2020
- Plainclothes NYC police grab protester and throw her into unmarked car - WSWS - August 6th, 2020
- Majority of Kingston aldermen view Kingstonian project tax pact favorably, with conditions - The Daily Freeman - August 4th, 2020
- Officers on the street without ID or insignia is dangerous - News-Press Now - August 4th, 2020
- "It's the decent thing to do" - News - Fowler Tribune - August 4th, 2020
- What would the Founding Fathers do? - Smoky Mountain News - August 4th, 2020
- How the president became the deporter in chief. - Slate - August 3rd, 2020
- Want To Reform The Police? Get Rid Of Qualified Immunity - WBUR - August 3rd, 2020
- Who is Zane James, why were his brother and father detained by police in Cottonwood Heights protest? - MEAWW - August 3rd, 2020
- Unpacking DHS's Troubling Explanation of the Portland Van Video - Lawfare - August 1st, 2020
- Capitol Hill grilling of tech CEOs highlights expansion of 'geofence warrants' - WRAL.com - August 1st, 2020
- R Sikoryaks latest project is a word-for-word adaptation of the U.S. Constitution - Boing Boing - August 1st, 2020
- FBI bulletin exposes another crack in ELD mandate - Land Line - Land Line Media - August 1st, 2020
- Analysis: Is Trump stretching the law to deploy federal police power in cities? - wenatcheeworld.com - July 31st, 2020
- NRA and Tea Party: Where are you now? - Greensboro News & Record - July 31st, 2020
- Fourth Amendment | United States Constitution | Britannica - July 30th, 2020
- Fourth Amendment - the Text, Origins, and Meaning - July 30th, 2020
- "It's the decent thing to do" - News - Pueblo Chieftain - July 30th, 2020
- Trump Judge Casts the Deciding Vote to Reverse District Court Ruling to Suppress Evidence Obtained in Violation of the Fourth Amendment: Confirmed... - July 29th, 2020
- Trump Judge Casts the Deciding Vote to Give Qualified Immunity to Officers Who Violated Fourth Amendment: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - July 29th, 2020
- How does the Fourth Amendment apply to my child while at school? - Lawyers.com Blog - July 29th, 2020
- Ga. voters will decide thorny 'sovereign immunity' issue this fall - Georgia Recorder - July 29th, 2020
- Shot Twice in the Back: A Case Tests the Fleeing Felon Defense - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- Wronged by the Police? How to Defend Your Rights - Legal Reader - July 29th, 2020
- The innocents at home, anti-mask tales of purity - Greensburg Daily News - July 29th, 2020
- Someone who cared about safe cities would try to bring calm to chaos. Trump is doing the opposite to bolster his law-and-order reelection campaign. -... - July 29th, 2020
- Here's Why Cities Won't Be Able to Stop Trump's Secret Police - VICE - July 29th, 2020
- Radio Diary: A Harvard Law Professor Explains Why Federal Officers' Tactics In Portland Are Unlawful - WBUR - July 26th, 2020
- Two DHS Officials Apparently Just Admitted Their Troops Have Been Violating the Constitution - Law & Crime - July 26th, 2020
- John Krull: The innocents at home, anti-mask tales of purity - Terre Haute Tribune Star - July 26th, 2020
- Protester in Portland sues Trump for 'conspiracy to violate the U.S. Constitution' after alleged attack by feds - Pamplin Media Group - July 26th, 2020
- The Federal Coup to Overthrow the States and Nix the 10th Amendment Is Underway - River Cities Reader - July 26th, 2020
- The Majority of Americans Oppose Qualified Immunity. Where Is Congress? - Reason - July 26th, 2020
- Oregon sues US agencies over protest arrests; what gave feds authority to intervene? - ABA Journal - July 26th, 2020
- Can use of force restrictions change police behavior? Heres what we know - PBS NewsHour - July 26th, 2020
- Judge refuses to dismiss claims Balch Springs police violated rights of murdered teen Jordan Edwards - The Dallas Morning News - July 25th, 2020
- East Bay Homeless Living On Caltrans Property May Be Entitled To Cash - KALW - July 25th, 2020
- As journalism jobs decrease, the future of the discipline might depend on general education - Poynter - July 25th, 2020
- Trenton cop found a flask inside a councilwoman's car after crash, tried covering it up - The Trentonian - July 25th, 2020