Margaret Sanger, the womens rights activist and founder ofPlanned Parenthoodthe largest abortion provider in Americais a hero to themodern Left. And little wonder, given her outsized role in the founding andpromotion of the modern abortion industry.
But what few people realize is that Planned Parenthood isactually more extreme than its founder, at least when it comes to abortion. Infact, Sanger, as remarkable as it seems, looks positively tame next to themodern agenda.
Which raises the question: why would Planned Parenthood, whichhas gone so far beyond Sanger in its promotion of abortion, eugenics, andpopulation control, still hold her up as a leader of the movement? Isnt she abit behind the times?
The movement can thank prominent Progressive leaders of thelast decade for raising Sangers profile. Shes featured prominently in liberalspeeches and interviews, like when Hillary Clinton told supporters in 2009 thatshe was in awe of her. In 2014, Barack Obama became the first sittingpresident to address the abortion groups national conference, praisingSangers legacy as its core principle [that] has guided everything all of youdo.
Interestingly, Planned Parenthood, whose highest award still bears Sangers name, has moved so far to the left that its hero probably couldnt even get a job selling T-shirts for the radical abortion giant today. If they were consistent, modern leftists wouldcall Sanger a white supremacist or an extremist for her views on immigration, raceand yes, abortion.
Take, for example, Sangers desire to see Americas borderssealed to all unfit immigrants to protect what she considered a fragile gene pool.That sounds a lot like the caricature of pro-Trump conservatives conjured up inleft-wing fantasies.
Then there was her notorious speech before a branch of theNew Jersey Ku Klux Klan, a well-documented event despite the content beingnearly forgotten. In that speech, Sanger warned that America must keep thedoors of Immigration closed to genetic undesirables.
Then theres Sangers opinion of non-whites, which, if utterednow, would (rightly) cause a conniption among Americans. She consideredAustralias Aborigines compulsiverapists and the lowest known species of the human family, just a stephigher than the chimpanzee in brain development. Because he has no greatbrain development, Sanger wrote, police authority alone prevents [Aborigines]from obtaining sexual satisfaction on the streets.
But if Planned Parenthood was honest about its founder,Sangers most unforgivable sin would be her skepticism of abortion itself.
One of Sangers few criticisms of the Soviet Union when shevisited the communist state in 1934 was its outright insistence on encouragingabortion over contraception. Four hundred thousand abortions a year indicatewomen do not want to have so many children, a perplexed Sanger told a Sovietdoctor.
She thought that access to birth control was a human rightbutwas repulsed by abortion. In my opinion it is a cruel method of dealing withthe problem, Sanger wrote upon returning home, because abortion, no matterhow well done, is a terrific nervous strain and an exhausting physical hardship.
In fact, the founder of Planned Parenthood was deeplyconcerned about the tremendous number of abortions taking place in the SovietUnion, as historian Paul Kengor has documented.Legalization of abortion was one of the communist governments first acts followingthe 1917 Russian Revolutionnearly 60 years before Roe v. Wadeaccomplished the same thing in America. By1920, the Soviet Union was providing abortions free of charge to its citizens.
Sanger wrote that the number of abortions in Moscow was 100,000per year. By the 1970s, there were 78 millionabortions annually in the USSRa rate unmatched in human history, Kengorpoints out. Roe v. Wade only managed 1.5 million in 1973, the year the SupremeCourt legalized abortion.
By these metrics, Planned Parenthoods position on abortion in2020 is far closer to that of post-Revolutionary Soviet Union than their hero, MargaretSanger.
If Progressives held Sanger to their own standards, theydhave to denounce her antiquated viewsso why do they continue to applaud her?Because the Left believes that Sangers contributions to the pro-choicemovement outweigh her racist views. So Planned Parenthood sticks with itsdespicable founder, refusing to disavow her altogether, to its shame.
If leftists were honest, theyd renounce Margaret Sangerandthen reflect on what it means that theyve become even more radical than theeugenicist who started their anti-life movement.
- Opinion: People with disabilities don't need eugenics to improve - UI The Daily Iowan - March 16th, 2020
- The right has perfected making people expendable but a coronavirus recession will take it further than ever - The Independent - March 16th, 2020
- Assistant professor says he's been fired because he dared to talk about human population variation - Inside Higher Ed - March 16th, 2020
- Iain Macwhirter: Herd immunity does not mean the Government is trying to kill old people - HeraldScotland - March 16th, 2020
- Wendy Vogel on art and abortion - Artforum - March 16th, 2020
- Full Sixth Circuit Takes Up Ohio Ban on Selective Abortions - Courthouse News Service - March 16th, 2020
- Will This Years Census Be the Last? - The New Yorker - March 16th, 2020
- Eugenics - HISTORY - March 14th, 2020
- Introduction to Eugenics - Genetics Generation - March 14th, 2020
- Boris Johnson cares more about the economy than he does about human lives - The Canary - March 14th, 2020
- The World Changed Its Approach to Health After the 1918 Flu. Will It After The COVID-19 Outbreak? - TIME - March 14th, 2020
- The Morality Of Eugenics - New University - March 4th, 2020
- Eugenics and Scientific Racism - Slugger O'Toole - March 4th, 2020
- The history of time capsules has a dark side linked to eugenics. But their future is brighter - ABC News - March 4th, 2020
- Prejudice against Downs Syndrome is a form of eugenics Brian Wilson - The Scotsman - March 4th, 2020
- S. Craig Zahler and the Art of the Podcast - Filmmaker Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Dumbarton MP critical of Boris Johnson as he tells of brother who died from cerebral palsy - The Dumbarton and Vale of Leven Reporter - March 4th, 2020
- Fakebook and the Big Data manipulators - Pressenza International Press Agency - March 4th, 2020
- Resignation of UK Government Adviser Sparks Controversy Over Link Between Race and IQ - The National Interest Online - March 4th, 2020
- A new view of eugenics shows its ties to the slavery era - Daily Northwestern - February 12th, 2020
- The Dangers In Nationalizing Health Care - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- It Was Never About Overpopulation - Psuvanguard.com - February 12th, 2020
- Universities must share their oppressive pasts - University World News - January 30th, 2020
- The Talented Mr. Epstein - The American Conservative - January 30th, 2020
- Anti-Semitism preceded Auschwitz and outlived it - The Boston Globe - January 30th, 2020
- Genetic risk scores open a host of concerns and implications - The Daily Cardinal - January 30th, 2020
- Editorial: Lt. Gov. Forest -- Embrace the truth. Stop spreading divisive falsehoods - WRAL.com - January 30th, 2020
- Mengele was a monster and a product of his time - Catholic Herald Online - January 30th, 2020
- eugenics | Description, History, & Modern Eugenics ... - December 27th, 2019
- There's A New Problematic Dating Trend, One Based On DNA Matching - HuffPost India - December 27th, 2019
- Backstory 2019: What Seven Days Writers Didn't Tell You the First Time Around - Seven Days - December 27th, 2019
- Scandal of The Tinker Experiment: demands for apology over Scotland's treatment of gypsy travellers - HeraldScotland - December 27th, 2019
- A year of more Netflix progress - The Irish Catholic - December 26th, 2019
- Eugenics Is Influencing Dating Apps and Other Forms of Tech - Wear Your Voice - December 13th, 2019
- CVTC eugenics victims: 'I always wanted children and never could have them' - Lynchburg News and Advance - December 13th, 2019
- What to Read During the Holiday Break - Georgia Tech News Center - December 13th, 2019
- An Oregon Couple Can Get Their Kids Back From Foster Care. But Many Disabled Parents Don't Get That Chance. - Rewire.News - December 13th, 2019
- Even Taylor Swift Can't Escape 'When Will You Have Kids?' - The Daily Beast - December 13th, 2019
- 'Targeted for Abortion Simply Because They May Have Down Syndrome': PA Gov. Blocks Anti-Eugenics Bill - CBN News - November 27th, 2019
- Book review - "The Guarded Gate: Bigotry, Eugenics, and the Law that kept Two Generations of Jews, Italians, and Other European Immigrants out of... - November 27th, 2019
- Does Your Dog Actually Love You? - The Cut - November 27th, 2019
- Genetically Modified Babies Are Ethically OK - Reason - November 27th, 2019
- Reefer Madness And Seduction Of The Innocent Are Now The Anti-Vaping M.O. - Science 2.0 - November 27th, 2019
- Samanthas Journey Into the Alt-Right, and Back - The New Yorker - November 27th, 2019
- Renowned scientists address ethics, 'twin scientific revolutions' of AI and CRISPR - The Stanford Daily - November 27th, 2019
- Stephen Miller's white supremacy is no surprise but it raises the stakes on impeachment and 2020 - Salon - November 27th, 2019
- When DAFs Belie the Community in Community Foundation - Non Profit News - Nonprofit Quarterly - November 27th, 2019
- Indiana University Provost: The First Amendment says we can't fire our notorious bigot professor, so here's what we're doing instead - Boing Boing - November 27th, 2019
- At least we've on from eugenics...maybe - The Irish Catholic - October 23rd, 2019
- New Governor Addresses Piney Situation - By THOMAS P. FARNER - The SandPaper - October 23rd, 2019
- Universities must stop covering up racism in order to protect their own reputations - The Guardian - October 23rd, 2019
- Trump Makes Startling Statement: 'We've Taken Control of the Oil in the Middle East US Has Control of That' - The New Civil Rights Movement - October 23rd, 2019
- The Climate Change Solution Scientists Have Been Overlooking - Mother Jones - October 16th, 2019
- Eugenics: The Scientific Scandal That Helped Hitler Murder 300,000 Disabled People - Newsweek - October 16th, 2019
- What's on TV tonight: The Met investigates London's drugs gangs, and celebrities head to the First Dates Hotel - iNews - October 16th, 2019
- Selling Babies, Trading Wives - By THOMAS P. FARNER - The SandPaper - October 16th, 2019
- Lilly Presents Positive Results for Taltz (ixekizumab) in Pediatric Patients with Moderate to Severe Plaque Psoriasis at the 28th Annual European... - October 13th, 2019
- AbbVie Announces New Data from its Dermatology Portfolio and Pipeline at the 28th European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV) Congress -... - October 13th, 2019
- Scots psoriasis sufferer opens up on how skin condition can affect mental health and leave her not wanting to - The Scottish Sun - October 13th, 2019
- Lilly to Unveil New Data for the Treatments of Complex Dermatological Conditions at the 28th Annual European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology... - October 13th, 2019
- Public awareness on psoriasis increasing: health expert - pna.gov.ph - October 13th, 2019
- IL-41 Levels Elevated in Synovium of Patients With Psoriatic Arthritis - Rheumatology Advisor - October 13th, 2019
- Novartis data show Cosentyx treatment results in rapid and sustained resolution of signs and symptoms of psoriatic arthritis in patients with and wit... - October 13th, 2019
- New Guelph exhibit reveals history of eugenics education in Ontario - CBC.ca - October 1st, 2019
- Playing God, Ungodly? - Times of India - October 1st, 2019
- Alderman Library in midst of removing 1.7 million books, other items - The Daily Progress - October 1st, 2019
- TV guide: 18 of the best shows to watch this week - The Irish Times - October 1st, 2019
- Hillary Clinton proves impeaching Trump is all about protecting abortion - Lifesite - October 1st, 2019
- Toby Young apologises for accusing Hammond of antisemitism - The Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- Panelists Discuss Technology and Race at Harvard IOP Event | News - Harvard Crimson - October 1st, 2019
- Trump Attacks Obama, Hillary, Biden, and Supports Putin in Off-the-Rails Press Conference With Ukraine President - The New Civil Rights Movement - October 1st, 2019
- Questioning the Truth behind 'Climate Catastrophe' - Alameda Sun - October 1st, 2019
- My father was IBM's first black software engineer. The racism he fought persists in the high-tech world today - Los Angeles Times - September 27th, 2019
- French bishops oppose medically assisted procreation for single moms, lesbians - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - September 27th, 2019
- Not A Unique Case: 87-Year-Old Murdered Disabled Grandson With Overdose - Forbes - September 27th, 2019
- Republic of Lies: the rise of conspiratorial thinking and the actual conspiracies that fuel it - Boing Boing - September 27th, 2019
- Forget Mensa! All Hail the Low IQ - WIRED - September 27th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019