I am 24, which is roughly 12 in New York years. No one expects me to have a kid or own a home. The same cannot be said for the small town I grew up in. There, Times up! is less of a #MeToo rallying cry and more of something a friends father tells his oldest daughter upon learning shes still single.
There comes a time in young womanhood where people who once really didnt want you to get pregnant suddenly start to care a lot about the babies you must have, right now. I cannot fathom why anyone at my familys Christmas dinner table would want to talk about freezing my eggs in between bites of mashed potatoes. And yet.
Despite what her poreless skin and dumb lyrics like spelling is fun might make you believe, Taylor Swift will turn 30 this week. The milestone means next to nothing, except that I hope she has a very nice birthday party. But of course, that means peoplenamely, menare falling over themselves to remind her she should spawn at once, or else shell almost certainly die alone and unloved.
One of those men happens to be Stefan Molyneux, an alt-right personality who boasts over 900,000 YouTube subscribers. He regularly spouts social Darwinist bullshit to his followers, and the Southern Poverty Law Center added him to its Extremist Files. Leave it to this guy to have thoughts on Taylor Swifts uterus.
I cant believe Taylor Swift is about to turn 30 - she looks so young! Molyneux began. Its strange to think that 90% of her eggs are already gone - 97% by the time she turns 40 - so I hope she thinks about having kids before its too late! Shed be a fun mom. 🙂
Yes, Stefan, it is strange, for you or anyone who is not Taylor Swift to spend even a moment thinking about her reproductive system. Please log off and factory reset your invasive man mind.
Swift has not responded to Molyneuxs tweet, and representatives for parties did not respond to my request for comment. But the singer addressed a similar topic last week.
In what she surely hoped would be a nice sound bite for an interview with People magazine, Swift said, The more women are able to voice their discomfort in social situations, the more it becomes the social norm that people who ask the questions at parties like When are you going to start a family to someone as soon as they turn 25 are a little bit rude.
Its good that were allowed to say, Hey, just so you know, were more than incubators. You dont have to ask that of someone just because theyre in their mid-20s and theyre a female, she added.
Molyneuxs trolling of Swift is less troubling than his enthusiastic promotion of scientific racism and eugenics. But its still concerning that many meneven otherwise lovely, well-intended menview a womans fertility as a point of friendly chatter.
Molyneux punctuated his tweet with a smile emoji, in what looks like an attempt at congeniality. Hes posed his unwarranted and unwanted message to Swift as a public service announcement, even beginning it with a complimentalbeit a seriously creepy one. (She looks so young! Seriously, my dude, close the tab on your computer thats just Google images of Taylor Swift and go take a walk.)
It brings me no joy to imagine Molyneux at his desk, stroking his chin, deep in thought imagining Taylor Swifts parenting abilities. Though, I guess it is probably one of his better thoughts, considering all the other abhorrent things hes said.
Still, when Youd be such a fun mom comes from the mouth not of a total stranger and internet conspiracy theorist, but a loved one, it seems innocuous, almost kind and caring.
But what if the man saying this is talking to one of the 6 million women in the United States struggling with infertility? They probably already know theyd be excellent mothers; after all, theyre trying. The women in my life who are struggling to get pregnant think about their situation nearly every day; why dont we give them some time off this holiday.
Maybe a woman just plain doesnt want to have a kid, now or ever. Thats her right, even as patriarchal laws attempting to control her sexual everything continue to arise.
So if you find yourself unable to control opening your mouth this holiday season to demand why a female family member is still childless, I beg you: find the nearest forkful of Christmas ham, and shove it there instead.
Originally posted here:
- Opinion: People with disabilities don't need eugenics to improve - UI The Daily Iowan - March 16th, 2020
- The right has perfected making people expendable but a coronavirus recession will take it further than ever - The Independent - March 16th, 2020
- Assistant professor says he's been fired because he dared to talk about human population variation - Inside Higher Ed - March 16th, 2020
- Iain Macwhirter: Herd immunity does not mean the Government is trying to kill old people - HeraldScotland - March 16th, 2020
- Wendy Vogel on art and abortion - Artforum - March 16th, 2020
- Full Sixth Circuit Takes Up Ohio Ban on Selective Abortions - Courthouse News Service - March 16th, 2020
- Will This Years Census Be the Last? - The New Yorker - March 16th, 2020
- Eugenics - HISTORY - March 14th, 2020
- Introduction to Eugenics - Genetics Generation - March 14th, 2020
- Boris Johnson cares more about the economy than he does about human lives - The Canary - March 14th, 2020
- The World Changed Its Approach to Health After the 1918 Flu. Will It After The COVID-19 Outbreak? - TIME - March 14th, 2020
- The Morality Of Eugenics - New University - March 4th, 2020
- Eugenics and Scientific Racism - Slugger O'Toole - March 4th, 2020
- The history of time capsules has a dark side linked to eugenics. But their future is brighter - ABC News - March 4th, 2020
- Prejudice against Downs Syndrome is a form of eugenics Brian Wilson - The Scotsman - March 4th, 2020
- S. Craig Zahler and the Art of the Podcast - Filmmaker Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Dumbarton MP critical of Boris Johnson as he tells of brother who died from cerebral palsy - The Dumbarton and Vale of Leven Reporter - March 4th, 2020
- Fakebook and the Big Data manipulators - Pressenza International Press Agency - March 4th, 2020
- Resignation of UK Government Adviser Sparks Controversy Over Link Between Race and IQ - The National Interest Online - March 4th, 2020
- A new view of eugenics shows its ties to the slavery era - Daily Northwestern - February 12th, 2020
- The Dangers In Nationalizing Health Care - Forbes - February 12th, 2020
- It Was Never About Overpopulation - Psuvanguard.com - February 12th, 2020
- Universities must share their oppressive pasts - University World News - January 30th, 2020
- The Talented Mr. Epstein - The American Conservative - January 30th, 2020
- Anti-Semitism preceded Auschwitz and outlived it - The Boston Globe - January 30th, 2020
- Genetic risk scores open a host of concerns and implications - The Daily Cardinal - January 30th, 2020
- Margaret Sanger Is a Hero to the Left. Here's Her History of Ugly Views. - Daily Signal - January 30th, 2020
- Editorial: Lt. Gov. Forest -- Embrace the truth. Stop spreading divisive falsehoods - WRAL.com - January 30th, 2020
- Mengele was a monster and a product of his time - Catholic Herald Online - January 30th, 2020
- eugenics | Description, History, & Modern Eugenics ... - December 27th, 2019
- There's A New Problematic Dating Trend, One Based On DNA Matching - HuffPost India - December 27th, 2019
- Backstory 2019: What Seven Days Writers Didn't Tell You the First Time Around - Seven Days - December 27th, 2019
- Scandal of The Tinker Experiment: demands for apology over Scotland's treatment of gypsy travellers - HeraldScotland - December 27th, 2019
- A year of more Netflix progress - The Irish Catholic - December 26th, 2019
- Eugenics Is Influencing Dating Apps and Other Forms of Tech - Wear Your Voice - December 13th, 2019
- CVTC eugenics victims: 'I always wanted children and never could have them' - Lynchburg News and Advance - December 13th, 2019
- What to Read During the Holiday Break - Georgia Tech News Center - December 13th, 2019
- An Oregon Couple Can Get Their Kids Back From Foster Care. But Many Disabled Parents Don't Get That Chance. - Rewire.News - December 13th, 2019
- 'Targeted for Abortion Simply Because They May Have Down Syndrome': PA Gov. Blocks Anti-Eugenics Bill - CBN News - November 27th, 2019
- Book review - "The Guarded Gate: Bigotry, Eugenics, and the Law that kept Two Generations of Jews, Italians, and Other European Immigrants out of... - November 27th, 2019
- Does Your Dog Actually Love You? - The Cut - November 27th, 2019
- Genetically Modified Babies Are Ethically OK - Reason - November 27th, 2019
- Reefer Madness And Seduction Of The Innocent Are Now The Anti-Vaping M.O. - Science 2.0 - November 27th, 2019
- Samanthas Journey Into the Alt-Right, and Back - The New Yorker - November 27th, 2019
- Renowned scientists address ethics, 'twin scientific revolutions' of AI and CRISPR - The Stanford Daily - November 27th, 2019
- Stephen Miller's white supremacy is no surprise but it raises the stakes on impeachment and 2020 - Salon - November 27th, 2019
- When DAFs Belie the Community in Community Foundation - Non Profit News - Nonprofit Quarterly - November 27th, 2019
- Indiana University Provost: The First Amendment says we can't fire our notorious bigot professor, so here's what we're doing instead - Boing Boing - November 27th, 2019
- At least we've on from eugenics...maybe - The Irish Catholic - October 23rd, 2019
- New Governor Addresses Piney Situation - By THOMAS P. FARNER - The SandPaper - October 23rd, 2019
- Universities must stop covering up racism in order to protect their own reputations - The Guardian - October 23rd, 2019
- Trump Makes Startling Statement: 'We've Taken Control of the Oil in the Middle East US Has Control of That' - The New Civil Rights Movement - October 23rd, 2019
- The Climate Change Solution Scientists Have Been Overlooking - Mother Jones - October 16th, 2019
- Eugenics: The Scientific Scandal That Helped Hitler Murder 300,000 Disabled People - Newsweek - October 16th, 2019
- What's on TV tonight: The Met investigates London's drugs gangs, and celebrities head to the First Dates Hotel - iNews - October 16th, 2019
- Selling Babies, Trading Wives - By THOMAS P. FARNER - The SandPaper - October 16th, 2019
- Lilly Presents Positive Results for Taltz (ixekizumab) in Pediatric Patients with Moderate to Severe Plaque Psoriasis at the 28th Annual European... - October 13th, 2019
- AbbVie Announces New Data from its Dermatology Portfolio and Pipeline at the 28th European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV) Congress -... - October 13th, 2019
- Scots psoriasis sufferer opens up on how skin condition can affect mental health and leave her not wanting to - The Scottish Sun - October 13th, 2019
- Lilly to Unveil New Data for the Treatments of Complex Dermatological Conditions at the 28th Annual European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology... - October 13th, 2019
- Public awareness on psoriasis increasing: health expert - pna.gov.ph - October 13th, 2019
- IL-41 Levels Elevated in Synovium of Patients With Psoriatic Arthritis - Rheumatology Advisor - October 13th, 2019
- Novartis data show Cosentyx treatment results in rapid and sustained resolution of signs and symptoms of psoriatic arthritis in patients with and wit... - October 13th, 2019
- New Guelph exhibit reveals history of eugenics education in Ontario - CBC.ca - October 1st, 2019
- Playing God, Ungodly? - Times of India - October 1st, 2019
- Alderman Library in midst of removing 1.7 million books, other items - The Daily Progress - October 1st, 2019
- TV guide: 18 of the best shows to watch this week - The Irish Times - October 1st, 2019
- Hillary Clinton proves impeaching Trump is all about protecting abortion - Lifesite - October 1st, 2019
- Toby Young apologises for accusing Hammond of antisemitism - The Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- Panelists Discuss Technology and Race at Harvard IOP Event | News - Harvard Crimson - October 1st, 2019
- Trump Attacks Obama, Hillary, Biden, and Supports Putin in Off-the-Rails Press Conference With Ukraine President - The New Civil Rights Movement - October 1st, 2019
- Questioning the Truth behind 'Climate Catastrophe' - Alameda Sun - October 1st, 2019
- My father was IBM's first black software engineer. The racism he fought persists in the high-tech world today - Los Angeles Times - September 27th, 2019
- French bishops oppose medically assisted procreation for single moms, lesbians - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - September 27th, 2019
- Not A Unique Case: 87-Year-Old Murdered Disabled Grandson With Overdose - Forbes - September 27th, 2019
- Republic of Lies: the rise of conspiratorial thinking and the actual conspiracies that fuel it - Boing Boing - September 27th, 2019
- Forget Mensa! All Hail the Low IQ - WIRED - September 27th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019