Thanks in large part to Tesla, Elon Musk is an icon and a very rich man the company's market cap reached $100 billion for the first time on Jan. 22 and its stock surged Thursday after reporting higher than expected earnings for the fourth-quarter. If Tesla continues to hit stock milestones, Musk could earn an enormous compensation package, including options worth more than $55 billion.
But in the beginning, "I really didn't want to be CEO" of Tesla, Musk said in a recent episode of the Third Row Tesla podcast.
In fact, Musk had a very different idea on how he'd spend his time with the company.
In 2003, a 32-year-old Musk (who had recently become a millionaire thanks to two successful start-up sales) was inspired to build an entirely electric sports cars after test driving an electric car model called the tzero, he recalled in the podcast.
"[The first tzero model] literally didn't have doors or a roof, or any airbags or an effective cooling system. It was not safe or reliable," he said.
According to Musk, the model's maker, AC Propulsion, had no interest in bringing the tzero to market, but he felt strongly it could work. So Musk asked AC Propulsion founder Alan Cocconi and CEO Tom Gage if he could commercialize the tzero, he says. They agreed, according to Musk.
At the time, only hybrid electric vehicles (with both gas and electric motors on board) had hit the U.S. market: Honda released its Insight in 1999, and Toyota released the Prius in 2000.
The only problem with starting an electric car company was that Musk had founded aerospace company SpaceX just a year earlier and didn't want to take on another start-up. At SpaceX, he was already working 80 hours a week and he wanted to avoid working 160 hours a week, according to the podcast.
So AC Propulsion CEO Gage suggested Musk speak with electric car start-up Tesla Motors, which was also looking to commercialize the tzero. Musk reasoned that by teaming up with another company, he could "have my cake and eat it too," he said on the podcast he could still run SpaceX but also pursue his passion for electric cars in his spare time.
"I didn't think it would be easy, but I thought maybe I could allocate 20 to 30 hours a week and just work on product engineering, and then other people could do the other stuff. I didn't like doing the other stuff anyway," Musk said.
"But that didn't work out."
With money Musk earned as a co-founder of PayPal, which eBay bought for $1.5 billion in 2002, Musk invested $6.3 million in start-up Tesla Motors in 2004, according to Wired.
The company had five co-founders: Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning, who started the original Tesla Motors in 2003, as well as Ian Wright, JB Straubel and Musk.
But according to Musk, there was "a lot of drama" around naming a CEO.
"They made me choose who was going to be CEO, because I really didn't want to be CEO," Musk said on the podcast. "[I] was trying to make this rocket company work."
According to Musk, he chose "lesser of evils, between Eberhard and Wright." Musk said that he ultimately picked Eberhard, with the help of Straubel and Tarpenning.
Eberhard and Wright, however remember things differently.
"That's not really how it was," Wright told CNBC Make It. "Martin was already the CEO" of Tesla when they met Musk, he said.
"There was no discussion about anyone other than Martin being the CEO," Wright said. According to him, Musk said he would be chairman of the board.
Eberhard also disagreed with Musk's account. "I was the CEO," he told CNBC Make It, and Musk was on the board of directors.
Whatever the case, Wright left Tesla in 2004. (Wright says he left while Eberhard says he was fired).
Between 2004 and 2007 the Tesla team worked on its first release, the Tesla Roadster, while also searching for investors. According to Musk, with Eberhard as CEO, they got off to a rough start.
Early Tesla experienced hurdles, including a faulty prototype, Musk said on the podcast.
"[We] really just jammed" electric car parts into a Lotus Elise, Musk said of the first prototype. (Sports car manufacturer Lotus allowed Tesla to manufacture and test Roadsters at its factory in England.)
"In retrospect, this wasn't a good idea," Musk said on the podcast. "The car ending up weighing like 60% more than an Elise.we went through a lot of trouble trying to shoehorn everything in there. The costs ended up being crazy."
Still, production of the Roadster was set to begin in September 2007, according to Wired, and was priced at $109,000. However, that summer an internal audit revealed that production costs would actually be $140,000 per vehicle, Wired reported. Musk blamed Eberhard.
"We obviously had to fire Eberhard. There was no choice about that," Musk said on the podcast. "It was pretty bad."
"The story about the 2007 audit is not true and is slanderous," Eberhard told CNBC Make It. (Eberhard sued Musk and Tesla in 2009 for libel and slander, alleging he was forced out of the company. He later dropped the suit.)
After Eberhard came an interim CEO, Michael Marks. Then Ze'ev Drori came on as CEO and launched the Roadster in 2008, with its six-figure price tag.
Musk finally stepped in as CEO in October 2008 after deciding to invest more of his personal fortune into the company. In the end, it was too hard to find a qualified CEO since Tesla was not a typical gas vehicle company and had the culture of start-up, Musk and his brother, Kimbal Musk, a Tesla investor, said on the podcast.
Production of the Roadster started in 2009 and Tesla Motors went public in June 2010.
Even as a public company the road was bumpy, but today Tesla, Inc. (Musk changed the name in 2017) has six models of vehicles, including the new Cybertruck. (And Musk recently mentioned the idea of a minivan.) Tesla also sells home solar energy products.
Along the way, Musk and Tesla have been both lauded and criticized: Musk is often dinged for over-promising and production delays, most recently for the Model 3. And the stock hit a three-year low in June. That's not to mention his troubles with Securities and Exchange Commission (which were settled) and the recent libel suit (which he won).
But things seem to have turned around for Musk, at least for now Tesla's stock hit an all time high after it began production of the Model Y in its new Shanghai factory. As a result, Tesla became the first publicly listed U.S. carmaker to hit the $100 billion mark.
Today, Musk is worth nearly $35 billion, according to Forbes and owns about 20% of Tesla. (SpaceX is valued at about $33 billion as of May, according to CNBC.)
Of course, Tesla's success has come with the kind of schedule Musk was originally trying to avoid. As recently as 2018, Musk told Leslie Stahl on CBS' "60 Minutes" that he had been working 120 hours a week on Tesla after experiencing Model 3 production problems.
"Tesla was a company you tried so hard not to be CEO of," Kimbal Musk said in the Third Row Tesla podcast.
"Yes," said Musk. "This will be misinterpreted as somehow I don't love Tesla, which I do. It's just like, I was trying not to go insane. I mean [the] pain level is extreme."
Like this story? Subscribe to CNBC Make It on YouTube!
- NASA chooses Elon Musk's SpaceX for nearly $100M mission to map the beginning of our universe | TheHill - The Hill - February 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is $11.5 Billion Richer This Week As Tech Stocks Soar - Forbes - February 6th, 2021
- Tesla, Elon Musk and beyond: The green companies making billionaires - CNBC - February 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk's Twitter Break Is Over. See What He Posted - NDTV - February 6th, 2021
- Robinhood CEO explains to Elon Musk why his platform restricted trading last week - CNBC - February 6th, 2021
- Analyst: How Chamath Palihapitiya, Elon Musk Mastered The 'Narrative Of The Underdog' - Yahoo Finance - February 6th, 2021
- Clubhouse, the social network Elon Musk just joined, plans to make money through subscriptions - CNBC - February 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk is R1.1 trillion richer than at the start of the pandemic - CapeTalk - September 26th, 2020
- - Designing tools and components for Elon Musk-style helicopter - Design Products & Applications - September 26th, 2020
- California's Planned Ban on Gas-Powered Auto Sales Is Great for Elon Musk, but It Won't Help the Environment | Jon Miltimore - Foundation for Economic... - September 26th, 2020
- From Gigi and Zayn to Grimes and Elon Musk: A Brief List of Celebrity Lockdown Babies - Pajiba Entertainment News - September 26th, 2020
- Elon Musk - Forbes - August 31st, 2020
- How Elon Musk pronounces 'X A-12,' his new son's name - August 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk shows Neuralink brain implant working in a pig ... - August 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk Becomes The Worlds Fifth $100 Billion-Dollar Man - Forbes - August 31st, 2020
- Elon Musks Neuralink is neuroscience theater - MIT Technology Review - August 31st, 2020
- Need a Job? Elon Musk May Have One for You in South Texas. - Reform Austin - August 28th, 2020
- Elon Musk confirms Tesla gigafactory was target of foiled cyberattack - MarketWatch - August 28th, 2020
- Elon Musks Net Worth Nears $100 Billion As Tesla Stock Burns Rubber - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Stocks & Shares, Art, Antiques and Property: Peak Uncertainty - Even Elon Musk is off by 245% - IFA Magazine - August 28th, 2020
- Musk Wealth Tops $100 Billion as Bezos Worth Twice as Much - Bloomberg - August 28th, 2020
- Elon Musk | Biography & Facts | Britannica - August 10th, 2020
- Elon Musk says coronavirus pandemic is 'practice run' for ... - August 10th, 2020
- Blog: Elon Musk and the future of the D&O market - Insurance Age - August 10th, 2020
- Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk's plans to colonize space are even crazier than we thought - New York Post - August 10th, 2020
- Elon Musk's SpaceX: We now want to bring Starlink internet from space to 5 million in US - ZDNet - August 10th, 2020
- To understand how rich billionaires really are, use this calculator - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Russian Indigenous groups call on Elon Musk not to buy battery metals from Nornickel - The Independent Barents Observer - August 10th, 2020
- The NY Times and Elon Musk Deal With Bolivia - Fair Observer - August 10th, 2020
- Elon Musk's Neuralink Chip Could Lead to a 'Black Mirror' Episode in Real Life: Experts Warn It Could be Hacked - Tech Times - August 10th, 2020
- Elon Musk's Neuralink Brain Chip Will Soon Allow Users to Take Charge of Moods and Emotions - Tech Times - August 10th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk talks Rivian lawsuit, Theyre doing bad things, so we sued them - Teslarati - August 10th, 2020
- Egypt invites Elon Musk to visit after Tesla and SpaceX CEO tweets 'aliens built the pyramids obv' - USA TODAY - August 9th, 2020
- Three people charged in Twitter hack which targeted accounts of Obama, Elon Musk - Hindustan Times Auto News - August 9th, 2020
- Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk rivalry: A history of their 15-year feud - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 8th, 2020
- Elon Musk and the pyramids of the mind - Vanguard - August 7th, 2020
- Elon Musk claims Neuralink brain chip will allow people to hear sounds impossible to humans - Zee News - August 7th, 2020
- Elon Musk claims his mysterious brain chip will allow people to hear previously impossible sounds - The Independent - August 7th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Tesla headquarters may still leave California - Los Angeles Times - August 5th, 2020
- Why Elon Musk Is The Marketer Of The Moment - Forbes - August 5th, 2020
- There's a Theory That Elon Musk Is Digging a Tunnel Between LA and Vegas - Futurism - August 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk says DeepMind is his 'top concern' when it comes to A.I. - CNBC - August 5th, 2020
- Bill Gates on Elon Musks controversial coronavirus comments: Stick with electric cars and rockets - MarketWatch - August 5th, 2020
- India and Elon Musk show Asia the way in discount race to Mars - Nikkei Asian Review - August 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk and Tom Cruise now have a studio backing their space movie, report says - CNET - August 5th, 2020
- UAE space sector launches mission to find next Elon Musk with millions in funding - The National - August 5th, 2020
- What will happen when Tesla hits the S&P 500 - The Australian Financial Review - August 5th, 2020
- Tech Billionaires Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk Have Made $115 Billion This Year - NDTV - August 4th, 2020
- Here's how a 17 year old allegedly hacked 130 Twitter accounts including Musk's - Hindustan Times Auto News - August 3rd, 2020
- Elon Musk tweet about Bill Gates goes viral - Fox Business - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk and the Overthrow of Democracy in Bolivia - The Bullet - Socialist Project - July 31st, 2020
- Amber Heard thought ex Elon Musk gave her bugged Tesla, court docs show - Page Six - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk calls Jeff Bezos and Blue Origin too old and 'too slow' - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 31st, 2020
- Dont be fooled! Elon Musk says Warren Buffett isnt quite the kindly grandfather hes cracked up to be - MarketWatch - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk says that Ivanka Trump read his 'red pill' tweet too politically - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 31st, 2020
- Huge tropical storm threatens Elon Musks historic mission to bring two Nasa astronauts home this weekend - The Sun - July 31st, 2020
- 'We Will Coup Whoever We Want': Elon Musk and the Overthrow of Democracy in Bolivia - CounterPunch - July 31st, 2020
- Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk have made $115 billion this year - The Province - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk: Grimes does more parenting than me | Fox 11 Tri Cities Fox 41 Yakima - FOX 11 and FOX 41 - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk challenges Johnny Depp to a cage fight after affair allegations with Amber Heard - Hindustan Times - July 31st, 2020
- Amazon will invest over $10 billion in its satellite internet network after receiving FCC authorization - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Musk says Tesla is open to supplying batteries and technology to competitors - Autoblog - July 31st, 2020
- Texans DE J.J. Watt jokes with Elon Musk about the price of a Tesla solar panel - Texans Wire - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk's Plea Tripled This Stock in 1 Week! - The Motley Fool Canada - July 31st, 2020
- Don't be fooled! Elon Musk says Warren Buffett isn't quite the 'kindly grandfather' he's cracked up to be - MarketWatch - July 30th, 2020
- What We Know About Errol Musk, Elons Brilliant and ... - July 29th, 2020
- The 25 Greatest Achievements of Elon Musk - July 29th, 2020
- Elon Musk - His Religion, His Hobbies, His Political Views - July 29th, 2020
- Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk have made $115 billion this year - The Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Why everyone is talking about the A.I. text generator released by an Elon Musk-backed lab - CNBC - July 29th, 2020
- Elon Musk shared a rare photo of his newborn baby, X A-Xii - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 27th, 2020
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk says his Twitter DMs are mostly for swapping memes - The Verge - July 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk offered to 'arrange 24/7 security' for Amber Heard in 2016, texts read in court show - Insider - INSIDER - July 27th, 2020
- Elon Musks Boring Company confirms use of Tesla Model S, X, and 3 in new Loop - Electrek.co - July 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk was supposed to be finished with his tunnel to Dodger Stadium by now. What happened? - The Eastsider LA - July 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk embodies the unity of capitalism and imperial war - Morning Star Online - July 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk and coronavirus skeptic Alex Berenson reportedly discussed starting their own publication - MSN Money - July 26th, 2020
- Elon Musk on the A.I. Apocalypse, Being the Emperor of Mars, and Texting With Kanye West - Vanity Fair - July 26th, 2020
- Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk are getting richer as the pandemic gets worse - Vox.com - July 26th, 2020
- Elon Musks performance award could reach $55 billion (U.S.) and that is unacceptable - Toronto Star - July 25th, 2020