The Top 15 Terminator Robots, Ranked
Whether we like every Terminator movie or dont (lets face it, most of us dont love at least one of them), we can usually all agree that the robots are cool. But how cool? The Arnold Schwarzenegger cyborg clearly commands the most popularity, but where does he rank in terms of actual effectiveness? Were going to bring the fake math and work it out, by ranking the top 15 Terminator robots to appear on the big screen. Note: this list only includes the movie Terminators. The Sarah Connor Chronicles and the comics are their own thing. And while we dig Cameron and the Robocop vs. Terminator dogs, we had to draw the line somewhere!
Matt Smith might have played the most amazing, powerful Terminator of them allhad Genisys actually started a new trilogy. According to the writers, he was a dimension-hopping Skynet in humanoid form who traveled the multiverse to fix the timelines in his favor. Thats a perfectly ironic bit of casting. Unfortunately, based on what he actually does onscreen, we cant say very much about him, save that he turned John Connor. Thats a twist but doesnt offer much idea of what he can really do.
Marcus Wrights story has a great hook. A prisoner on death row donates his body to science, then wakes up in the apocalypse. Later, he finds out he has been turned into a cyborg and an unwitting spy, with a conveniently donation-ready human heart. Whatever you think of him as a character, though, he sucks as a Terminator. Skynet would have done just as well to plant a bomb inside him instead. And they definitely blew it by making him the same blood type as the one guy theyre definitely trying to kill.
Basically just mildly intelligent miniature tanks. They barely qualify as Terminators, but since theyre officially the first ones, they count.
Robot snakes that can swim are creepy, but ultimately more effective as drain cleaners than human killers. Unless humans hide in drains and sewers. Then theyre great. But on land, definitely inferior to humanoids.
The icon of the franchise, besides Arnold Schwarzenegger in sunglasses. Endoskeletons were an instant creepy classic since their introduction. With a look thats both a throwback to walking-skeleton ghost stories and an echo of future mechanization fears, they strike a primal nerve. However, in the future war, theyre basically cannon fodder.
They make terrible fake humans, but these rotting rubber-skins with big guns look supremely creepy. Its everything scary about Terminators combined with every suppressed fear of mannequins and dolls. The biggest disappointment with Salvation not being a great movie is that we never got good consumer-grade toys of these guys. (Mega-expensive Hot Toys figures aside.)
Infiltrating is tossed out the window with this one. Giant robots make for great intimidation tactics, but they also make much bigger targets. With humans waging guerilla warfare against Skynet, giant war machines prove less effective than ground-level soldiers.
The ultimate fusion of man and machine, the nanocyte T-300o is theoretically the most powerful shape-shifter and best infiltrator in the arsenal. It would also have been the most shocking plot twist if trailers hadnt spoiled it. But ultimately all it succeeded in doing was accidentally turning the Arnold Terminator into a T-1000, giving Skynet an even more powerful enemy. Way to go. Had he been more human, he might have known: its not the size of your powers, but what you do with them that counts.
The new infantry of the future, these endoskeletons up the ante by having all the powers of Dr. Octopus. Spider-Man would have his hands full, and humans barely have a chance. It takes cybernetic upgrades for even a fighter as gifted as Grace to have a real shot against them. The downside is theyre not well suited to be infiltrators, because where would the tentacles fit inside a human skin?
Humans can run from an Arnold Terminator, because hes slow and deliberate. Nobody can run faster than a robot motorcycle. But because bikes are loud, potential victims will hear them coming, which helps.
Are these vehicles piloted by robots, or just giant vehicle-shaped robots? Nobody knows for certain. But theyre invaluable to that whole future war atmosphere, just by hanging in the sky or crushing skulls on the ground, and looking badass.
The original liquid metal shape-shifter is like a robot Johnny Knoxville it just keeps moving forward no matter how many times it gets blown apart or knocked down. And it even has a mildly impish sense of humor to boot (that finger wag rules). But its vulnerability to extreme heat and cold needs work. As the directors cut of T2 reveals, he was already starting to mess up before the Connors and their cyborg pal messed him up forever in that molten steel. The next generation of variants learned from his mistakes.
He just keeps coming back. The original Arnold model appears in nearly every film (well get to the main exception in a couple more entries). And its because hes the most popular. As T2, Genisys, and Dark Fate reveal, hes also capable of learning at least a facsimile of compassion, and functioning as a father figure. The problem is he also usually gets destroyed at the end of each adventure, so his real super power is just having multiple bodies that keep being sent back in time. Its kind of like The Prestige, except robots dont care so much about dying again and again.
Skynets major backup plan if their first Terminator failed seems to primarily have been to send back several more. But not until the T-X did they realize that maybe programming two plans into one Terminator was a good idea. So shes not just here for John Connor, but also to ensure Skynets creation, plus she has a blaster under that liquid skin. And as we see in Dark Fate, they probably should have thought of that of all for the T-800s as well. Silly Skynet you retconned yourself out of existence. Your flaws are officially Legion.
Most Terminators can be taken out with the extreme heat of a plasma weapon, or at least crushed in a hydraulic press or melted in red hot steel. But not the Rev-9, whose flexible skeleton never breaks and whose processor cannot be crushed. Specifically vulnerable to nothing less than an electromagnetic pulse, this guy can also split in two and hack any computer system with his fingers. Hes the threat Ultron should have been to the Avengers, if JARVIS/Vision hadnt immediately matched him move for move.
Why the T-850 over the T-800? Simple. The slightly older Arnold was the first Terminator to successfully kill John Connor. More impressively, it was the future Messiah, height-of-his-powers John Connor. Assuming we can take the Terminators word for it, of course. He did tell us to Tawk to da hand, after all.
Which Terminator model would you rank at the top? Let us know in the comment section below!
See the rest here:
- The Great Divide: What is the biggest dream fight fans missed out on? - MMA Fighting - March 26th, 2020
- Darkseid is Showing Thanos How You REALLY Change Reality - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 100 Fights to Watch at Home this Weekend - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - March 26th, 2020
- The Mandalorian casts Terminator and Aliens legend Michael Biehn as bounty hunter in Disney+ season 2 - The Irish Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Walking the Walk and Heeding the Talk for Now - The SandPaper - March 26th, 2020
- 15 Female UFC Fighters In Their Workout And Gym Gear | TheThings - TheThings - March 26th, 2020
- Super Promotions: 10 Teen Characters Who Graduated To The Avengers Or Justice League - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 26th, 2020
- DCEU: 10 Ways The Slate Has Changed Since The Franchise Began - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Here is every UFC womens champion in the history of the promotion - FanSided - March 26th, 2020
- Meet The STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS of Marvel's New Comic - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2020
- Planet Earth Report Cyborgs Will Lead Us to an Intelligent Universe to a New Force of Nature - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - March 16th, 2020
- 'War of the Worlds' Episode 5: Killer cyborgs' obsession with babies is show's biggest mystery - MEAWW - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists successfully created a cybernetic neural network - The Next Web - March 16th, 2020
- Patricio Freire's title, tourney hopes on the line at closed Bellator event - ESPN - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists Linked Artificial and Biological Neurons in a Networkand Amazingly, It Worked - Singularity Hub - March 16th, 2020
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 - Netflix Shares New Stills from Its CG Anime - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 16th, 2020
- The Terminator sequel trilogies that never were - Film Stories - March 16th, 2020
- The Pac-12 in Polaroids - Rule Of Tree - March 16th, 2020
- Who Wants To Help Steve Cohen Build A Trading Cyborg? - Dealbreaker - March 8th, 2020
- Alita's got nothing on this mind-controlled robotic arm that links to your nerves - SYFY WIRE - March 8th, 2020
- 'Don Giovanni' breaks fourth wall, fuses cyborgs with Mozart classic - Indiana University The Penn Online - March 8th, 2020
- 5 Things About Nebula The MCU Changed (& 5 They Kept The Same) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 8th, 2020
- 8 books that inspired fashion collections - Dazed - March 8th, 2020
- Enforce Earbud-Only Zones For The Jerks Infecting The Public With Noise - The Federalist - March 8th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 2: Where You Know Trepps Actor From - Screen Rant - March 8th, 2020
- Cyborg | DC - March 4th, 2020
- This is What the Cyborg Movie in the DCEU Can be Like - TVOvermind - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim about a cyborg on a dying Earth - PC Gamer - March 4th, 2020
- Cyborg | Teen Titans Wiki | Fandom - March 4th, 2020
- This YouTube time traveler says hes a cyborg from 2050and he wants you to buy merch - The Daily Dot - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim a couple of cyborg on a dying Earth - BingePost - March 4th, 2020
- Energizer Hard Case H280S: A KaiOS-powered blower that can withstand a few knocks - The Register - March 4th, 2020
- DC: 5 Superheroes We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 4th, 2020
- Apple to pay up to $500M over battery-related phone slowdown - ABC 4 - March 4th, 2020
- Felicia 'The FeeNom' Spencer's future could be of vital importance to the UFC after Cris Cyborg fight - Sportskeeda - February 29th, 2020
- Felicia Spencer Aiming For A Title Shot - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - February 29th, 2020
- Teamfight Tactics' next update turns everyone into cyborgs and Sailor Moon - PC Gamer - February 29th, 2020
- Made In Abyss: 10 Burning Questions About Season One That The Sequel Could Finally Answer - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- Star Trek: Picard Fixes The Biggest Problem With First Contact - Screen Rant - February 29th, 2020
- Doctor Who is clearly rewriting the history and future of an iconic villain - SYFY WIRE - February 29th, 2020
- Alita: Battle Angel - 5 Things The Live-Action Movies Got Right (& 5 Things That The Anime Did Better) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- This Cyborg Man Devised a Way to Play Music with His Mind - Beebom - February 29th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode 1 recap: The Bad Batch blazes into action on Disney Plus - CNET - February 29th, 2020
- Roxane Gay World of Wakanda Was a Short-lived but Brilliant Series - Comic Years - February 29th, 2020
- Cyborg grasshoppers have been engineered to sniff out explosives - New Scientist News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'Cyborg' grasshopper engineered to sniff explosives - E&T Magazine - February 23rd, 2020
- The life of a voluntary cyborg - University Affairs - February 23rd, 2020
- Harley Quinn's Cyborg Might Be Better Than the Justice League's - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 23rd, 2020
- Sy Borgman: The new Cyborg in town! - Animated Times - February 23rd, 2020
- See Henry Cavill With Black Superman Costume & Beard In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - February 23rd, 2020
- Grievous began to realize far too late - Dork Side of the Force - February 23rd, 2020
- 7 Dance Performances to See in N.Y.C. This Weekend - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Doom Patrol Season 2 Brings In a New Character Having Cyborg Connection! Find Out Who He/She Is! - Top Buzz Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Fighters and Boxers React to Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder - Heavy.com - February 23rd, 2020
- Scientists create cyborg jellyfish with swimming superpowers - CNET - January 30th, 2020
- New Bellator champ Cris Cyborg was as raw, violent and captivating as ever - The Athletic - January 30th, 2020
- Cyborg Smashes Budd at Bellator 238 to Win Title: Caldwell Taps Borics in Featherweight Grand Prix - BroBible - January 30th, 2020
- B.C. Budd aims to unleash fine form on Cyborg in MMA cage at The Forum - Vancouver Sun - January 30th, 2020
- The J-curve of technology: From Snapchat to cyborgs - Media Update - January 30th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019