The Top 15 Terminator Robots, Ranked
Whether we like every Terminator movie or dont (lets face it, most of us dont love at least one of them), we can usually all agree that the robots are cool. But how cool? The Arnold Schwarzenegger cyborg clearly commands the most popularity, but where does he rank in terms of actual effectiveness? Were going to bring the fake math and work it out, by ranking the top 15 Terminator robots to appear on the big screen. Note: this list only includes the movie Terminators. The Sarah Connor Chronicles and the comics are their own thing. And while we dig Cameron and the Robocop vs. Terminator dogs, we had to draw the line somewhere!
Matt Smith might have played the most amazing, powerful Terminator of them allhad Genisys actually started a new trilogy. According to the writers, he was a dimension-hopping Skynet in humanoid form who traveled the multiverse to fix the timelines in his favor. Thats a perfectly ironic bit of casting. Unfortunately, based on what he actually does onscreen, we cant say very much about him, save that he turned John Connor. Thats a twist but doesnt offer much idea of what he can really do.
Marcus Wrights story has a great hook. A prisoner on death row donates his body to science, then wakes up in the apocalypse. Later, he finds out he has been turned into a cyborg and an unwitting spy, with a conveniently donation-ready human heart. Whatever you think of him as a character, though, he sucks as a Terminator. Skynet would have done just as well to plant a bomb inside him instead. And they definitely blew it by making him the same blood type as the one guy theyre definitely trying to kill.
Basically just mildly intelligent miniature tanks. They barely qualify as Terminators, but since theyre officially the first ones, they count.
Robot snakes that can swim are creepy, but ultimately more effective as drain cleaners than human killers. Unless humans hide in drains and sewers. Then theyre great. But on land, definitely inferior to humanoids.
The icon of the franchise, besides Arnold Schwarzenegger in sunglasses. Endoskeletons were an instant creepy classic since their introduction. With a look thats both a throwback to walking-skeleton ghost stories and an echo of future mechanization fears, they strike a primal nerve. However, in the future war, theyre basically cannon fodder.
They make terrible fake humans, but these rotting rubber-skins with big guns look supremely creepy. Its everything scary about Terminators combined with every suppressed fear of mannequins and dolls. The biggest disappointment with Salvation not being a great movie is that we never got good consumer-grade toys of these guys. (Mega-expensive Hot Toys figures aside.)
Infiltrating is tossed out the window with this one. Giant robots make for great intimidation tactics, but they also make much bigger targets. With humans waging guerilla warfare against Skynet, giant war machines prove less effective than ground-level soldiers.
The ultimate fusion of man and machine, the nanocyte T-300o is theoretically the most powerful shape-shifter and best infiltrator in the arsenal. It would also have been the most shocking plot twist if trailers hadnt spoiled it. But ultimately all it succeeded in doing was accidentally turning the Arnold Terminator into a T-1000, giving Skynet an even more powerful enemy. Way to go. Had he been more human, he might have known: its not the size of your powers, but what you do with them that counts.
The new infantry of the future, these endoskeletons up the ante by having all the powers of Dr. Octopus. Spider-Man would have his hands full, and humans barely have a chance. It takes cybernetic upgrades for even a fighter as gifted as Grace to have a real shot against them. The downside is theyre not well suited to be infiltrators, because where would the tentacles fit inside a human skin?
Humans can run from an Arnold Terminator, because hes slow and deliberate. Nobody can run faster than a robot motorcycle. But because bikes are loud, potential victims will hear them coming, which helps.
Are these vehicles piloted by robots, or just giant vehicle-shaped robots? Nobody knows for certain. But theyre invaluable to that whole future war atmosphere, just by hanging in the sky or crushing skulls on the ground, and looking badass.
The original liquid metal shape-shifter is like a robot Johnny Knoxville it just keeps moving forward no matter how many times it gets blown apart or knocked down. And it even has a mildly impish sense of humor to boot (that finger wag rules). But its vulnerability to extreme heat and cold needs work. As the directors cut of T2 reveals, he was already starting to mess up before the Connors and their cyborg pal messed him up forever in that molten steel. The next generation of variants learned from his mistakes.
He just keeps coming back. The original Arnold model appears in nearly every film (well get to the main exception in a couple more entries). And its because hes the most popular. As T2, Genisys, and Dark Fate reveal, hes also capable of learning at least a facsimile of compassion, and functioning as a father figure. The problem is he also usually gets destroyed at the end of each adventure, so his real super power is just having multiple bodies that keep being sent back in time. Its kind of like The Prestige, except robots dont care so much about dying again and again.
Skynets major backup plan if their first Terminator failed seems to primarily have been to send back several more. But not until the T-X did they realize that maybe programming two plans into one Terminator was a good idea. So shes not just here for John Connor, but also to ensure Skynets creation, plus she has a blaster under that liquid skin. And as we see in Dark Fate, they probably should have thought of that of all for the T-800s as well. Silly Skynet you retconned yourself out of existence. Your flaws are officially Legion.
Most Terminators can be taken out with the extreme heat of a plasma weapon, or at least crushed in a hydraulic press or melted in red hot steel. But not the Rev-9, whose flexible skeleton never breaks and whose processor cannot be crushed. Specifically vulnerable to nothing less than an electromagnetic pulse, this guy can also split in two and hack any computer system with his fingers. Hes the threat Ultron should have been to the Avengers, if JARVIS/Vision hadnt immediately matched him move for move.
Why the T-850 over the T-800? Simple. The slightly older Arnold was the first Terminator to successfully kill John Connor. More impressively, it was the future Messiah, height-of-his-powers John Connor. Assuming we can take the Terminators word for it, of course. He did tell us to Tawk to da hand, after all.
Which Terminator model would you rank at the top? Let us know in the comment section below!
See the rest here:
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- Cyborg (comics) - Wikipedia - December 18th, 2019
- AI and the future of work: becoming cyborgs! - Ericsson - December 18th, 2019
- Canadian featherweight Felicia Spencer returns to action on UFC card in Norfolk - The Chronicle Journal - December 18th, 2019
- Watchmen: Damon Lindelof On Why There Were 9 Episodes Instead Of 10 - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- The Witcher: Henry Cavill Says Show Won't Block Him From Superman Role - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- UFC 245 odds, fight card: A closer look at every bout from the early prelims to the main event - CBS Sports - December 18th, 2019
- 'The Falcon and The Winter Soldier' Set Photos Tease New York City Setting - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- Arlene Blencowe thinks she's earned another title shot with win over Leslie Smith at Bellator 233 - MMA Junkie - November 13th, 2019
- Janay Harding: Bellator women's featherweight division is 'almost out of reach for the UFC now' - The Body Lock - November 13th, 2019
- Is Jorge Masvidal now the undisputed BMF? We put together a 32-fighter bracket to find out - The Athletic - November 13th, 2019
- 'Teen Titans GO!' Will Roast Controversial 'Thundercats' Reboot - Heroic Hollywood - November 13th, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization cerebrum waves to control up your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - November 13th, 2019
- Justice League: Has the Snyder Cut Already Been Spoiled? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 13th, 2019
- Song of the Day: "Cyborg" - LemonWire - November 6th, 2019
- Cyborg Is the Cure for DCeaseds Zombie Virus - Or At Least He WAS - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 6th, 2019
- Venom 2: Tom Hardy Teases Fight With Woody Harrelson's Carnage In Pic - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Daniel Craig's No Time To Die Is The Most Expensive James Bond Film - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Anthony Mackie Reveals First Look At Falcon & The Winter Soldier - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The only thing deadlier than Leslie Smiths hands is (apparently) her Chapstick - MMA Mania - November 6th, 2019
- The worlds largest cruise ship has a bar with robot bartenders. Heres how my margarita compared to one made by a human. - Business Insider - November 6th, 2019
- Keanu Reeves Goes Public With First Girlfriend In Decades - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Grant Gustin Dons Green Lantern-Impressed The Flash Go well with In Neat Fan Art - The Media Hq - November 6th, 2019
- Behind The Night: Diaz vs Cyborg - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill roboticist on his way to becoming the world's first full cyborg - Firstpost - October 21st, 2019
- Disembodied cyborg hand can solve a Rubiks Cube using scary smart AI - SYFY WIRE - October 21st, 2019
- ALS affected, terminally-ill Robotics expert will transform himself into the world's first 'cyborg' - Digit - October 21st, 2019
- Is this guitar-playing cyborg from Japan the future of heavy metal? - Guitar World - October 21st, 2019
- Dying scientist is about to become first cyborg - Times of India - October 21st, 2019
- The Terminator timeline explained: Every key event from the franchise in chronological order - GamesRadar - October 21st, 2019
- Ruby Rose's Batwoman & Grant Gustin's The Flash Unite In Arrowverse Crossover BTS Photos - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- Creating the Symbiotic AI Workforce of the Future - MIT Sloan - October 21st, 2019
- See Keanu Reeves Transform Into The MCU's Ghost Rider In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization mind waves to catalyst your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill scientist is about to 'transform' into world's first full cyborg - Mirror Online - October 16th, 2019
- Taika Waititi Confirms Korg Will Return In 'Thor: Love And Thunder' - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- J.J. Abrams Spider-Man book killed The Avengers in a very Abrams way - Polygon - October 16th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Runtime Possibly Revealed - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Preparing municipalities for customers of the future - ESI Africa - October 16th, 2019
- Jesse Eisenberg On His Future As Lex Luthor With DC Films - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- BMF Resume: Justin Gaethje - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 16th, 2019
- 'Sonic The Hedgehog Halloween Masks Are On Sale & They're Horrifying - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Teen Titans: How Kid Flash Helped Shape the Iconic DC Team | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 16th, 2019
- Review: The Ninja Saviors - Return of the Warriors - Destructoid - October 16th, 2019
- World of Warcraft's upcoming races revealed: adorable foxes and cyborg gnomes - PC Gamer - October 9th, 2019
- Goodbye humans, hello cyborgs: The moment of Singularity is nigh - Daily Maverick - October 9th, 2019
- 'Avengers' Directors Share First Photo From 'Cherry' With Tom Holland - Heroic Hollywood - October 9th, 2019
- 10 Key DC Characters Who Debuted In The 90s | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 9th, 2019
- Insight: Transhumanists believe in the bionic body beautiful - The Scotsman - October 9th, 2019
- 10 Best DC Cosplays That Look Exactly Like The Characters - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 9th, 2019
- Charting the Uncanny Valley - Reporter Magazine - October 9th, 2019
- Airbus Planes Will Track How Often Passengers Go to the Bathroom - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Robot Fish Fly by Shooting Water out of Its Rear - September 14th, 2019
- Residents Are Trying to Flee Russian Town Where Snow Turned Black - September 14th, 2019
- This Startup Will Send DNA From Your Spit to the Moon for $99 - September 14th, 2019
- FBI Investigation Targets Trump Booster Peter Thiel’s VC Firm - September 14th, 2019
- YouTube Influencers Are Mentally Collapsing From Stress - September 14th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX Test Its Crew Dragon’s Escape System - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Community Horrified by Famed Researcher’s Epstein Outburst - September 14th, 2019
- Unlike MIT, Harvard Cut Off Epstein Donations After Conviction - September 14th, 2019