A terminally-ill scientist who is dying from a muscle wasting disease has taken the final steps to become the world's first full cyborg .
Dr Peter Scott-Morgan, 61, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease two years ago, but instead of accepting his fate he decided to challenge what it meant to be human.
He said he wanted to push the boundaries of what science can achieve so decided to extend his life and become fully robotic - known as Peter 2.0.
The world-renowned roboticist has already undergone a series of incredibly complex and risky operations during his journey. This has included developing a remarkably life-like avatar of his face before he lost any muscle.
The avatar is designed to respond using artificially intelligent body language and he has also explored eye-tracking technology to enable him to control multiple computers using only his eyes.
And this week he announced the final procedure in his transition into a robot where he traded his voice for potentially decades of life.
He underwent a laryngectomy, meaning he lost his physical voice, but in doing so, he will avoid the added danger of saliva potentially entering his lungs, due to his condition.
Dr Scott-Morgan labelled this final procedure as the end of Peter 1.0 with a post this week on Twitter , and wrote: "This is my last post as Peter 1.0.
"Tomorrow (Thursday 10/10) I trade my voice for potentially decades of life as we complete the final medical procedure for my transition to Full Cyborg, the month I was told statistically I would be dead. I'm not dying, I'm transforming. Oh, how I love science."
Dr Scott-Morgan, of Torquay, Devon, has throughout his career been granted 'unparalleled confidential access' to government organisations, banks and major corporations.
He has been using this scientific expertise to work with cutting-edge technology experts to become Peter 2.0.
Speaking of his transition, he said: "'I'm about to be turned into Peter 2.0. And when I say 'Peter 2.0', I mean 'a Cyborg'.
"And when I say 'Cyborg', I don't just mean any old cyborg, you understand, but by far the most advanced human cybernetic organism ever created in 13.8 billion years. I'm scheduled to become the world's very first full Cyborg.
"Almost everything about me is going to be irreversibly changed - body and brain.
"It goes without saying that all my physical interaction with the world will become robotic. And naturally, my existing five senses are going to be enhanced. But far more importantly, part of my brain, and all of my external persona, will soon be electronic - totally synthetic.
"From then on, I'll be part hardware / part wetware, part digital / part analogue. And it won't stop there; I've got more upgrades in progress than Microsoft. Mine isn't just a version change. It's a metamorphosis."
The scientist has also been exploring eye-tracking technology, to enable him to control multiple computers using just his eyes. Among other things, this would mean he could control his own electronic bed and a hoist to help him move.
This eye-tracking technology, means that he could no longer wear contact lenses, and so he has undergone laser eye surgery to enable him to have perfect vision at 70cm- the distance from his computer screen.
The scientist also has a remarkable top-end wheelchair, which he said on Twitter is 'brilliantly engineered' and allows him to stand, lie flat and go fast.
He has undergone further pioneering surgery in what he believes to be the first ever operation of its kind, to insert a feeding tube directly into his stomach, a catheter directly into his bladder and a colostomy bag directly onto his colon.
These procedures will help him to deal with any potential feeding and toileting problems, helping him to maintain his independence.
However, he stressed online that this is an incredibly risky procedure for somebody with MND. Despite the risks of operations and being terminally ill, Dr Scott-Morgan says he is not interested in how to survive his condition, he intends to 'thrive.'
He remains positive and often, humorous, seeing his situation as a chance to truly embrace scientific capabilities.
In fact, The Scott-Morgan Foundation which he set up with his husband, Francis, seeks to use artificial intelligence, robotics and other high-technology systems to transform the lives of those 'restricted by age, ill-health, disability, or other physical or mental disadvantage."
On his website Dr Scott-Morgan said this vision is far from just a dream: "We are within touching distance of changing - everything. I'm not dying - I'm transforming!
"This is terminal disease like you've never seen it before. And as far as I'm concerned, bring it on. MND hasn't even begun to bring me to my knees. And even long after I'm locked In, I will still be standing tall.
"Thanks to HiTech - I will talk again. I will convey Emotion and Personality. And I'll reach out and touch the people I love. And I will not be the only one.
"Over time, more and more with MND, with extreme disability, with old age, with a passion simply to break free from their physical straight-jacket, will choose to stand beside me.
"And we will all stand tall. And we will stand proud. And we will stand unbowed. And we will keep standing, year after year after year after year after year. Because we refuse simply to 'Stay Alive'. We choose to thrive."
Dr Scott-Morgan will be the subject of a Channel 4 documentary in airing 2020, by Sugar Films.
Read the rest here:
- The Great Divide: What is the biggest dream fight fans missed out on? - MMA Fighting - March 26th, 2020
- Darkseid is Showing Thanos How You REALLY Change Reality - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 100 Fights to Watch at Home this Weekend - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - March 26th, 2020
- The Mandalorian casts Terminator and Aliens legend Michael Biehn as bounty hunter in Disney+ season 2 - The Irish Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Walking the Walk and Heeding the Talk for Now - The SandPaper - March 26th, 2020
- 15 Female UFC Fighters In Their Workout And Gym Gear | TheThings - TheThings - March 26th, 2020
- Super Promotions: 10 Teen Characters Who Graduated To The Avengers Or Justice League - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 26th, 2020
- DCEU: 10 Ways The Slate Has Changed Since The Franchise Began - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Here is every UFC womens champion in the history of the promotion - FanSided - March 26th, 2020
- Meet The STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS of Marvel's New Comic - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2020
- Planet Earth Report Cyborgs Will Lead Us to an Intelligent Universe to a New Force of Nature - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - March 16th, 2020
- 'War of the Worlds' Episode 5: Killer cyborgs' obsession with babies is show's biggest mystery - MEAWW - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists successfully created a cybernetic neural network - The Next Web - March 16th, 2020
- Patricio Freire's title, tourney hopes on the line at closed Bellator event - ESPN - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists Linked Artificial and Biological Neurons in a Networkand Amazingly, It Worked - Singularity Hub - March 16th, 2020
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 - Netflix Shares New Stills from Its CG Anime - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 16th, 2020
- The Terminator sequel trilogies that never were - Film Stories - March 16th, 2020
- The Pac-12 in Polaroids - Rule Of Tree - March 16th, 2020
- Who Wants To Help Steve Cohen Build A Trading Cyborg? - Dealbreaker - March 8th, 2020
- Alita's got nothing on this mind-controlled robotic arm that links to your nerves - SYFY WIRE - March 8th, 2020
- 'Don Giovanni' breaks fourth wall, fuses cyborgs with Mozart classic - Indiana University The Penn Online - March 8th, 2020
- 5 Things About Nebula The MCU Changed (& 5 They Kept The Same) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 8th, 2020
- 8 books that inspired fashion collections - Dazed - March 8th, 2020
- Enforce Earbud-Only Zones For The Jerks Infecting The Public With Noise - The Federalist - March 8th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 2: Where You Know Trepps Actor From - Screen Rant - March 8th, 2020
- Cyborg | DC - March 4th, 2020
- This is What the Cyborg Movie in the DCEU Can be Like - TVOvermind - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim about a cyborg on a dying Earth - PC Gamer - March 4th, 2020
- Cyborg | Teen Titans Wiki | Fandom - March 4th, 2020
- This YouTube time traveler says hes a cyborg from 2050and he wants you to buy merch - The Daily Dot - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim a couple of cyborg on a dying Earth - BingePost - March 4th, 2020
- Energizer Hard Case H280S: A KaiOS-powered blower that can withstand a few knocks - The Register - March 4th, 2020
- DC: 5 Superheroes We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 4th, 2020
- Apple to pay up to $500M over battery-related phone slowdown - ABC 4 - March 4th, 2020
- Felicia 'The FeeNom' Spencer's future could be of vital importance to the UFC after Cris Cyborg fight - Sportskeeda - February 29th, 2020
- Felicia Spencer Aiming For A Title Shot - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - February 29th, 2020
- Teamfight Tactics' next update turns everyone into cyborgs and Sailor Moon - PC Gamer - February 29th, 2020
- Made In Abyss: 10 Burning Questions About Season One That The Sequel Could Finally Answer - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- Star Trek: Picard Fixes The Biggest Problem With First Contact - Screen Rant - February 29th, 2020
- Doctor Who is clearly rewriting the history and future of an iconic villain - SYFY WIRE - February 29th, 2020
- Alita: Battle Angel - 5 Things The Live-Action Movies Got Right (& 5 Things That The Anime Did Better) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- This Cyborg Man Devised a Way to Play Music with His Mind - Beebom - February 29th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode 1 recap: The Bad Batch blazes into action on Disney Plus - CNET - February 29th, 2020
- Roxane Gay World of Wakanda Was a Short-lived but Brilliant Series - Comic Years - February 29th, 2020
- Cyborg grasshoppers have been engineered to sniff out explosives - New Scientist News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'Cyborg' grasshopper engineered to sniff explosives - E&T Magazine - February 23rd, 2020
- The life of a voluntary cyborg - University Affairs - February 23rd, 2020
- Harley Quinn's Cyborg Might Be Better Than the Justice League's - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 23rd, 2020
- Sy Borgman: The new Cyborg in town! - Animated Times - February 23rd, 2020
- See Henry Cavill With Black Superman Costume & Beard In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - February 23rd, 2020
- Grievous began to realize far too late - Dork Side of the Force - February 23rd, 2020
- 7 Dance Performances to See in N.Y.C. This Weekend - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Doom Patrol Season 2 Brings In a New Character Having Cyborg Connection! Find Out Who He/She Is! - Top Buzz Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Fighters and Boxers React to Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder - Heavy.com - February 23rd, 2020
- Scientists create cyborg jellyfish with swimming superpowers - CNET - January 30th, 2020
- New Bellator champ Cris Cyborg was as raw, violent and captivating as ever - The Athletic - January 30th, 2020
- Cyborg Smashes Budd at Bellator 238 to Win Title: Caldwell Taps Borics in Featherweight Grand Prix - BroBible - January 30th, 2020
- B.C. Budd aims to unleash fine form on Cyborg in MMA cage at The Forum - Vancouver Sun - January 30th, 2020
- The J-curve of technology: From Snapchat to cyborgs - Media Update - January 30th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019