Since the release of Justice League, a vocal subset of fans have demanded the release of the "Snyder Cut." The now-legendarily troubled production of Justice League culminated in director Zack Snyder leaving the project for personal reasons, with Joss Whedon coming on board to reshoot a huge chunk of the movie, as well as re-edit the film. The result was a film that received middling critical responses and disappointing box office returns.
However, over the years, the legend of the Snyder Cut, the original epic version of the film that Snyder intended to create, has only grown. It's a cut that either, depending on who you ask, sounds like an epic follow-up to his prior DC Extended Universe films or a colossal mess that was narrowly avoided. However, thanks to all the teases and hints that Snyder and other individuals have given over the years, we have a fairly good sense of what might've been in the Snyder Cut. Now, we're going to take a look back at everything we know to see what exactly the Snyder Cut had to offer.
RELATED: Justice League: Jason Momoa Watched the Snyder Cut, Wants Public To See It
We know that the entire opening of Justice League was entirely different in the Snyder Cut. Many of Superman's scenes comprise of reshoots -- as evidenced by the presence of the now-infamous CGI mustache removal. In Superman's first scene in the movie, his mustache is clearly removed, which makes it clear that it was reshot.
RELATED:Justice League: The Snyder Cut - 'Many VFX Shots Are Complete'
Following that, the film turns to Gotham City, where Batman encounters a Parademon.This might also be a reshoot, as it establishes a few key plot points relevant to the theatrical ending, but not the supposed Snyder Cut ending. The plot points in question are as follows: the Parademons smell fear and hate sonic noises, and neither of those elements come up in the Snyder Cut's alleged ending.
Multiple characters who had roles in the Snyder Cut had their parts dramatically trimmed or completely excised from the theatrical cut of Justice League.
Iris West, played by Kiersey Clemens, would have been rescued by the Flash in a scene that has leaked in its entirety. It's unclear how Iris would have factored into the plot, beyond, presumably, giving Barry Allen someone to talk to other than his dad in prison or the other superheroes.
Furthermore, Atlantis originally played a far larger role. Willem Dafoe's Vanko is removed entirely from the film, while Mera plays a very small role. Atlantis only itself appears in one scene.As indicated by how the final film lacks the several leaked visuals Snyder revealed early into post-production, there originally would have been more scenes in Atlantis.
RELATED: Junkie XL Confirms, He Scored Justice League's Snyder Cut
And even more importantly, Cyborg's role would have been greatly expanded. The original trailer showcases Cyborg, before his transformation, walking around and playing football. We would have seen him Victor Stone as a human, perhaps to contrast his later transformation later on in the film. Silas Stone would also have played a larger role in the original film, as it has since been confirmed that he, not Lois Lane, would have served as the narrator for the film's epilogue. Cyborg's father would have died halfway through, and the ending scene would be a video that he recorded for his son. The dialogue is apparently the same.
This indicates that Cyborg, who starts both cuts as a loner isolated from society, ends his story with a message of hope for the future. This, in essence, means that Cyborg's entire arc was cut from the film.
The film would've also featured more DC heroes, with a Green Lantern appearing at the end, as well as the reveal that General Swanwick was the Martian Manhunter the entire time.
However, in all cases, we still don't entirely know how all of this would tie into the main plot, if at all, and that aspect of the film hasn't really been spoiled beyond the acknowledgement of their existence.
As indicated by the CGI lip throughout the film, most scenes involving Superman probably would've been different, and there remains even more evidence that the film would've been drastically different originally.
In the theatrical version, the Flash and Cyborg go to dig up Superman's grave. However, as indicated by this behind-the-scenes photo, Snyder shot a scene at the cemetery with Wonder Woman and Aquaman present as well. Superman's resurrection and fight in the park is also subject to reshoots, though it remains uncertain how much of these scenes came from Snyder and how much came from Whedon.
RELATED:Joker Is What Zack Snyder's DC Movies Wanted to Be
What is undeniable, however, is that the park fight scene did exist in the Snyder Cut, in some capacity. Early trailers show Cyborg taking a tank head-on in the same park in Metropolis where they fight Superman. What remains uncertain is whether or not this fight would've been remotely similar to how it plays out in the movie.
Superman also, at one point, would return to his Kryptonian ship. We can see from a production still from the Snyder Cut that, at one point, Clark was going to consider donning his iconic black suit before choosing his more colorful one. This hints that we would have seen the black suit as an Easter Egg, if nothing else.
Furthermore, almost all of Lois's scenes in the Snyder Cut are with Superman, who, again, has his CGI mustache. So we can assume that Lois Lane's scenes are largely from reshoots. However, we don't know what her role in Snyder's cut of the film would have been.
Undoubtedly, the most well-known change from the Snyder Cut to the theatrical one is the role that Darkseid played in the film. Darkseid exists as a presence throughout the Snyder Cut, while in the theatrical cut Darkseid is barely alluded to. In the Snyder Cut, while Steppenwolf would have remained the core antagonist, Darkseid would have loomed over him as a presence, much like how Thanos looms over both Loki and Ronan in both The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy,
The most explicit appearance of Darkseid would've been during the flashback to Steppenwolf's first invasion, where we would've seen Uxas, Darkseid before becoming Darkseid proper.But arguably the biggest change in the film is who would have defeated Steppenwolf. While in the film it's a tag-team brawl, in the Snyder Cut, we know that it would've been Wonder Woman who decapitates the villain with her sword.
RELATED: Zack Snyder Says Martian Manhunter Was In Justice League Theatrical Release
In addition, much of the material connecting Justice League to Batman v. Superman's Knightmare sequence was cut, which results in that dangling subplot meaning precious little. Presumably, we would have seen the Flash's time travel as well as how Lois is "the Key." However, the problem remains that, at this time, we still don't understand entirely how this might've played out, other than through the scrapped idea to kill Lois Lane in the Batcave early on in the film.
Ultimately, while many core elements of the Snyder Cut have been revealed, much still remains in the dark. The Snyder Cut represents a fascinating possibility of what could have been. For the moment, there's no way of knowing if we'll ever actually see what it contains, but if it is ever released, we have a fairly strong idea of what to expect from it.
KEEP READING: Joe Manganiello 'Could Write a Book' About His Experience Playing Deathstroke
Make More Mutants: A Popular X-Men Couple Has a Case of Baby Fever
Tags:feature,justice league (film)
Read the original post:
- UFC Sensation Sean O'Malley Just Made More Money Selling His Own Clothes Than He Did in 2 Years With Reebok - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- DCeased Ignites a New Justice League Romance Between Batman and Wonder Woman - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 10th, 2020
- Teen Titans Go!: 10 Hilariously Raunchy Jokes That Flew Over Our Heads - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Stargirl: How the DC TV Star Joined the New 52 Justice League - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 10th, 2020
- DCeased Is Calling the Justice League's Biggest Bluff | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 10th, 2020
- #ZackSnydersJL Is Trending on Twitter, and Ray Fisher Approves - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 10th, 2020
- Teen Titans Go!: 10 Jokes That Only DC Comics Fans Will Understand - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- This is how WWII, G.I. Joe and a decorated U.S. Marine shaped Transformers - We Are The Mighty - August 10th, 2020
- The Reverse-Flash WON Flashpoint in DC's Dark Multiverse - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Opinion: The Most Biased Commentary in UFC History - Sherdog.com - August 10th, 2020
- All the premieres of the week on HBO: Robot Chicken and A Perfect Plan | Entertainment - Explica - August 10th, 2020
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Defies Current Trek with Laughs and Fun - 25YearsLaterSite.com - August 10th, 2020
- The Top 10 Superman Suits In Film & TV - Heroic Hollywood - August 10th, 2020
- Ryan Reynolds eviscerates 'Green Lantern' and teases the Snyder Cut in the viral Reynolds Cut of his superhero bomb - Yahoo Sports - August 10th, 2020
- You've beaten Half-Life: Alyx, now what? More great VR games to try - GameCrate - August 10th, 2020
- Star Wars: A Tech Version of the Force Exists - But It Sucks - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 10th, 2020
- Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies (That Aren't About Aliens), According To IMDb - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- The Flash movie: know details here - TheNationRoar - TheNationRoar - August 10th, 2020
- Katie Taylor open to fight with former UFC champion Cris Cyborg - Pundit Arena - August 9th, 2020
- Nelson Cruz has the mask needed to help us take down all the robot cyborgs (Video) - FanSided - August 9th, 2020
- Canadian Julia (The Jewel) Budd to fight Jessy Miele in Bellator 244 co-main event - Vancouver Courier - August 9th, 2020
- Teen Titans Go!: The 5 Best (& 5 Worst) Episodes, According To IMDb - Screen Rant - August 9th, 2020
- Cyborg Actor Ray Fisher 'Will Not Relent' When Speaking Out About Joss Whedon and Producers - Epicstream - August 9th, 2020
- Heart of America Library News - ThePierceCountyTribune.com | Rugby, Pierce County and North Dakota news, sports and information - Pierce County... - August 9th, 2020
- To give myself a vacation, I sent my phone on a trip - The Boston Globe - August 9th, 2020
- 10 New Things You Need To Know About The Flash Movie - Animated Times - August 9th, 2020
- According to Hofmann: Sage against the machine | According To Hofmann - Uniontown Herald Standard - August 9th, 2020
- Ghost In The Shell: 10 Quotes From The Show That Will Stay With Us Forever - Screen Rant - August 8th, 2020
- This Day in Horror History: MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE was released in 1987 - Dread Central - August 8th, 2020
- 10 Quotes From The Show That Will Stay With Us Forever - KYR News - August 8th, 2020
- Hellpoint is a jerk to the player, and that's the point - Polygon - August 7th, 2020
- Suicide Squad for PS5 and PC: Everything you need to know - Up News Info - August 7th, 2020
- Exclusive Teen Titans Go! To Camp: Review and Interview with Sholly Fisch - GeekDad - August 7th, 2020
- Doom Patrol Recap: The Living Years - Vulture - August 6th, 2020
- Justice League: Ray Fisher 'Will Not Relent' Against Joss Whedon, Geoff Johns and Jon Berg - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 6th, 2020
- In MMA Theres Just More Exposure Than In Womens Boxing- Claressa Shields Speaks Out On Womens Boxing - Essentially Sports - August 6th, 2020
- Jiro Kuwata, the Creator of 8 Man and the Batman Manga, Has Died - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 6th, 2020
- A Doom Patrol Hero Brings Another Piece of Watchmen Into the DC Universe - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 6th, 2020
- 10 Sith Lords That Undoubtedly Took From Darth Vader | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - August 6th, 2020
- Where to start watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Season 2's Samson and Delilah. - Slate - August 6th, 2020
- To the Moon and Back with Sheyene Gerardi, kicks off its first season with space, rockets and cyborgs. - Press Release - Digital Journal - August 6th, 2020
- Enjin Partners with SwissBorg and 8 Game Studios to Usher in the Era of Blockchain-Powered Cross-Game Events - BTCMANAGER - August 6th, 2020
- Jiro Kuwata, Batmanga and 8 Man Creator, Dead at 85 - Multiversity Comics - August 6th, 2020
- Intense and Addictive Hit Amazon Chrome The Series in the Pipeline with Episode 2 for August 30 Release - Press Release - Digital Journal - August 3rd, 2020
- Holly Holm Defends Her Many Chances to Earn a UFC Title: 'There's a Reason' - Sportscasting - August 3rd, 2020
- John Kavanagh and fiancee Orlagh Hunter welcome first child as Conor McGregors coach declares the champ is h - The Irish Sun - August 3rd, 2020
- Augusts Filmmaker of the Month: Park Chan-wook - The Spool - August 3rd, 2020
- The Terminator Is a Subtly Subversive Slasher - The Escapist - August 3rd, 2020
- Injustice's Most Heartbreaking Death Is... Jim Gordon | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 3rd, 2020
- Cyborg - Wikipedia - August 2nd, 2020
- Cyborg (1989) - IMDb - August 2nd, 2020
- Cyborg | DC - August 2nd, 2020
- Cyborg (comics) - Wikipedia - August 2nd, 2020
- Victor Stone (New Earth) | DC Database | Fandom - August 2nd, 2020
- 'A Late Chrysanthemum': A short story collection full of pathos and maturity - The Japan Times - August 2nd, 2020
- DCEU Cyborg Wants TV Crossover Better Than The Flash In Crisis - Screen Rant - August 1st, 2020
- 'Teen Titans Go!' Hits Shelves With a Camp-y Adventure - TVInsider - August 1st, 2020
- Ray Fisher May Be Written Out Of The Flash Now - We Got This Covered - August 1st, 2020
- Cable Just Became the Most Wanted Man in the Marvel Universe - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 1st, 2020
- You Can Finally Own a Good Ghost in the Shell Movie in 4K - Gizmodo UK - July 31st, 2020
- Enjin Partners with SwissBorg, 8 Other Development Teams to Usher in the Blockchain Cross-Gaming Era - BTCMANAGER - July 30th, 2020
- The relentless Kamaru Usman makes his move in pound-for-pound rankings - ESPN.co.uk - July 29th, 2020
- Ill be back? Have we seen the end of the Terminator franchise for good? - NME.com - July 29th, 2020
- Justice League Cyborg Actor Says Joss Whedon Should Be Scared Of Abuse Investigation - Don't Feed the Gamers - July 29th, 2020
- Batman Beat The Hulk in The Craziest Way Possible | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 29th, 2020
- Doom Patrol Teases Alan Tudyk's OTHER DC Universe Character - Screen Rant - July 29th, 2020
- Ill be back? Have we seen the end of the Terminator franchise for good? - NME - July 28th, 2020
- The 'Alita: Battle Angel' Army Is Rampaging Through Twitter - VICE - July 28th, 2020
- Could 2020 be the year DC finally overtakes Marvel? - AsiaOne - July 28th, 2020
- 'I would set the movie on fire': Zack Snyder won't use any of Joss Whedon's 'Justice League' footage - Sarnia and Lambton County This Week - July 27th, 2020
- How Tall is Batman Actually Supposed To Be? | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 27th, 2020
- Who are the Overwatch League coaches' top teams after Week 24? - ESPN - July 27th, 2020
- 5 DC Movie Characters Aries Will Relate To (& 5 They Won't Understand) - Screen Rant - July 27th, 2020
- Ray Fisher has revealed his one request for the Justice League Snyder Cut - Flickering Myth - July 26th, 2020
- Doom Patrol Is a Refreshing Ally For the Queer Community, and We Love It - POPSUGAR - July 26th, 2020
- Air Force awards contracts to develop Skyborg combat drones that 'learn' how to fight - Stars and Stripes - July 25th, 2020
- The Knicks are reportedly hiring Tom Thibodeau and Knicks Twitter lost it - For The Win - July 25th, 2020
- Prepare for four more years of the most disruptive president ever - MSN Money - July 25th, 2020
- The X-Men's Most Unstable Team Is Killing Each Other - Screen Rant - July 25th, 2020
- Details Revealed on The Two "Trippier" Unproduced TERMINATOR: GENISYS Sequels - GeekTyrant - July 24th, 2020