On November 8, Bellator will once again showcase the talent of their roster with an exciting Friday night card in Thackerville, Oklahoma, headlined by highly touted middleweight John Salter. Also competing that night is UFC veteran Leslie Smith, who will be making her promotional debut, and King Mo Lawal, who is coming out of retirement for one last fight.
Not only is the main card full of intriguing bouts, so too are the preliminaries. Undefeated prospects Logan Storley and Jordan Young have the opportunity to extend their professional records to 11-0 and 12-0, respectively, and if successful come Friday, will continue climbing the ladder in Bellator.
Also fighting on the prelims is Janay Hollowpoint Harding (5-3), a bantamweight who has recently moved to featherweight in search of championship gold. The Australian will be taking on brawler Amanda Bell, who will be looking to rebound from her July defeat.
Harding spoke to John Hyon Ko of The Body Lock about her upcoming bout and her journey to becoming a well-rounded fighter.
Janay Harding will step into the Bellator cage for the fourth time this Friday. Although she suffered defeat in her first outing for the promotion, Hollowpoint has bounced back with two dominant wins, with the latest coming in March.
In her last fight, Harding outclassed Russian submission maestro Marina Mokhnatkina for three rounds to score a unanimous decision victory. Despite controlling her opponent for the full 15 minutes, the 25-year-old was critical of her performance, stating that she was disappointed.
There was a lot I was disappointed in, Harding said.
For me, it wasnt my best performance, I think mentally I wasnt in the fight. We made a few changes in the [training] camp so I think a combination of increased muscle mass and just not being used to my new physique did make a bit of difference in how technical I was, especially [going] into the third round. I was just a bit sloppy and obviously gassed quite a bit. I was still happy to come away [with the win] and be dominant.
As of late, Harding and her team have begun putting a newfound focus on her grappling game, which was critical considering the level of jiu-jitsu her opponent possessed.
I was just really looking forward to showcasing my jiu-jitsu against someone who has such [a] high [level of] jiu-jitsu. And just being able to show that as much as Im a striker Ive been working on my jiu-jitsu this whole time and I have solid jiu-jitsu as well. Its just not something I gravitate towards in [terms] of my performance, so it was really good to test that stuff.
Last month, Bellator unveiled the signing of one of the greatest female mixed martial artists of all time: Cris Cyborg. Shortly after this, they announced that she would get an immediate title shot against the companys featherweight queen Julia Budd.
Harding weighed in on the former UFC stars immediate title shot, and who she thinks will walk away with the featherweight crown.
They are both such great caliber opponents for one another, and I think thats a matchup that they have both been waiting for for a very long time, Harding said.
Julias such a strong champion that its kind of the first matchup that comes to mind thats going to be Cris biggest challenge. Im happy that she gets the title fight and interested to see who walks away with the title.
I do think she [Cyborg] is slowing down a tiny bit, just because of her age, and because of her age in this sport [which] makes a big difference. So I think technically theyll go head to head in a few different sections. I think well get to see a few different areas from both women and then whoever makes the best decisions comes out on top. I really dont think its going to be one of those quick finishes from either girl, but either way, itll be interesting.
The arrival of Cyborg in Bellator is not only huge for the promotion financially but crucial to the success of their 145-pound division. Along with their champion, many other of the female featherweights on the roster have spoken publically about the strength of Bellators featherweight division; they were able to create something the UFC was so desperately trying to force.
Janay Harding is one of many who feel like Bellator is the premier destination for all female featherweights, and credits Cris Cyborg for being a non-stop advocate for the division.
Even when I got signed Cris shared that on her story shes always been a massive advocate of just growing the sport, especially the featherweight division for females, said Harding.
In the last two years its just really skyrocketed, and I think theyve extended the gap between the UFC and Bellator featherweight division. So much so that its almost out of reach for the UFC now.
If I become a titleholder in Bellator, Im not only world champion, Im world champion in the deepest featherweight division on earth.
On November 8, Janay Harding will square off against highly experienced Amanda Bell, who will be hungry to return to the win column. Bell has won two of her four Bellator bouts, both via TKO.
I think shes a fantastic opponent exclaimed Harding, her record isnt the best of course, but shes fought some of the best people, which makes a massive difference and it just gives [her] so much more credibility.
For me, thats a great fight. I love to be challenged, and not only am I challenged, but I do feel like my style works perfectly against hers. That kind of thing will just allow me to showcase my skills and showcase the fact that I am super worthy to be up the top end of these featherweight female rankings.
Her opponent is known to be a brawler, meaning she likes to stand and bang in order to dictate the victor. Harding must be wary of this, as 4 of Bells 6 wins have come via knockout.
Nonetheless the Australian remains certain that she will display her full skillset, which will leave doubters over how well rounded she really is.
I want to utilize every skill I have. I want to make sure that Im showcasing the fact that Im an all-round fighter like I attempted last time. I just wanted to reiterate that I have a solid ground game and I have a solid all-round MMA game.
Although she is the biggest female signing in the promotions history, Cris Cyborg wasnt the first to jump ship from the UFC to Bellator. At the start of the year, the companys president Scott Coker revealed that former UFC bantamweight Leslie Smith had signed a contract, and would be competing at featherweight.Smith made her promotional debut in July, picking up a majority decision victory of Sinead Kavanagh.
Smith will also be competing on November 8 against Arlene Blencowe, who happens to have a stoppage victory over Harding. The Australian has her sights set on both women and is confident a fight could materialize with the two in the future.
When Leslie got signed I was super interested in that fight for myself, Harding told John Hyon Ko.
And of course Ive always been interested in that rematch with Arlene and Im sure well get our time, no doubt now that were in the same promotion. But Im just interested to see how they go: obviously Leslie had a great run in the UFC and shes a veteran on her own accord, but Arlene has incredible skills, especially in the striking. Shes so heavy-handed that I think Leslie will have a little bit of trouble with that. But either way, I think itll make a great fight.
3 ideal opponents for Sergio Pettis Bellator debut
Michael Chandler vs. Benson Henderson II set for Bellator Japan
After main event win over former champ, Lorenz Larkin eyes Bellator Japan card
Fedor Emelianenko to face Quinton Rampage Jackson at Bellator x RIZIN event on 12/29
See the article here:
- Arlene Blencowe thinks she's earned another title shot with win over Leslie Smith at Bellator 233 - MMA Junkie - November 13th, 2019
- Is Jorge Masvidal now the undisputed BMF? We put together a 32-fighter bracket to find out - The Athletic - November 13th, 2019
- 'Teen Titans GO!' Will Roast Controversial 'Thundercats' Reboot - Heroic Hollywood - November 13th, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization cerebrum waves to control up your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - November 13th, 2019
- Justice League: Has the Snyder Cut Already Been Spoiled? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 13th, 2019
- Song of the Day: "Cyborg" - LemonWire - November 6th, 2019
- Cyborg Is the Cure for DCeaseds Zombie Virus - Or At Least He WAS - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 6th, 2019
- Venom 2: Tom Hardy Teases Fight With Woody Harrelson's Carnage In Pic - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Daniel Craig's No Time To Die Is The Most Expensive James Bond Film - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Anthony Mackie Reveals First Look At Falcon & The Winter Soldier - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The only thing deadlier than Leslie Smiths hands is (apparently) her Chapstick - MMA Mania - November 6th, 2019
- The worlds largest cruise ship has a bar with robot bartenders. Heres how my margarita compared to one made by a human. - Business Insider - November 6th, 2019
- Keanu Reeves Goes Public With First Girlfriend In Decades - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The Top 15 Onscreen Terminator Robots, Ranked in Order - Superherohype.com - November 6th, 2019
- Grant Gustin Dons Green Lantern-Impressed The Flash Go well with In Neat Fan Art - The Media Hq - November 6th, 2019
- Behind The Night: Diaz vs Cyborg - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill roboticist on his way to becoming the world's first full cyborg - Firstpost - October 21st, 2019
- Disembodied cyborg hand can solve a Rubiks Cube using scary smart AI - SYFY WIRE - October 21st, 2019
- ALS affected, terminally-ill Robotics expert will transform himself into the world's first 'cyborg' - Digit - October 21st, 2019
- Is this guitar-playing cyborg from Japan the future of heavy metal? - Guitar World - October 21st, 2019
- Dying scientist is about to become first cyborg - Times of India - October 21st, 2019
- The Terminator timeline explained: Every key event from the franchise in chronological order - GamesRadar - October 21st, 2019
- Ruby Rose's Batwoman & Grant Gustin's The Flash Unite In Arrowverse Crossover BTS Photos - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- Creating the Symbiotic AI Workforce of the Future - MIT Sloan - October 21st, 2019
- See Keanu Reeves Transform Into The MCU's Ghost Rider In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization mind waves to catalyst your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill scientist is about to 'transform' into world's first full cyborg - Mirror Online - October 16th, 2019
- Taika Waititi Confirms Korg Will Return In 'Thor: Love And Thunder' - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- J.J. Abrams Spider-Man book killed The Avengers in a very Abrams way - Polygon - October 16th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Runtime Possibly Revealed - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Preparing municipalities for customers of the future - ESI Africa - October 16th, 2019
- Jesse Eisenberg On His Future As Lex Luthor With DC Films - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- BMF Resume: Justin Gaethje - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 16th, 2019
- 'Sonic The Hedgehog Halloween Masks Are On Sale & They're Horrifying - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Teen Titans: How Kid Flash Helped Shape the Iconic DC Team | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 16th, 2019
- Review: The Ninja Saviors - Return of the Warriors - Destructoid - October 16th, 2019
- World of Warcraft's upcoming races revealed: adorable foxes and cyborg gnomes - PC Gamer - October 9th, 2019
- Goodbye humans, hello cyborgs: The moment of Singularity is nigh - Daily Maverick - October 9th, 2019
- 'Avengers' Directors Share First Photo From 'Cherry' With Tom Holland - Heroic Hollywood - October 9th, 2019
- 10 Key DC Characters Who Debuted In The 90s | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 9th, 2019
- Insight: Transhumanists believe in the bionic body beautiful - The Scotsman - October 9th, 2019
- 10 Best DC Cosplays That Look Exactly Like The Characters - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 9th, 2019
- Charting the Uncanny Valley - Reporter Magazine - October 9th, 2019
- Airbus Planes Will Track How Often Passengers Go to the Bathroom - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Robot Fish Fly by Shooting Water out of Its Rear - September 14th, 2019
- Residents Are Trying to Flee Russian Town Where Snow Turned Black - September 14th, 2019
- This Startup Will Send DNA From Your Spit to the Moon for $99 - September 14th, 2019
- FBI Investigation Targets Trump Booster Peter Thiel’s VC Firm - September 14th, 2019
- YouTube Influencers Are Mentally Collapsing From Stress - September 14th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX Test Its Crew Dragon’s Escape System - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Community Horrified by Famed Researcher’s Epstein Outburst - September 14th, 2019
- Unlike MIT, Harvard Cut Off Epstein Donations After Conviction - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Team “Accidentally” Invents Blackest Material in Existence - September 14th, 2019
- A Driver Tricked Uber’s Algorithm, Sexually Assaulted a Passenger - September 14th, 2019
- Toyota Wants to Slather Solar Panels All Over Its Prius Hybrid - September 14th, 2019
- A Runaway Star Is Escaping a Black Hole at 1.2 Million MPH - September 14th, 2019
- Putin Critic Uses Drone to Save Hard Drives Before Police Raid - September 14th, 2019
- French Gov Official Warns Facebook: Libra Is Not Welcome Here - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla Model X Blast Through Deep Flood Waters - September 14th, 2019
- Milky Way’s Giant Black Hole Lets out Two Giant, Radioactive Burps - September 14th, 2019
- Instagram Keeps Accidentally Flagging Fish Photos as Offensive - September 14th, 2019
- Horrifying Study: Corpses Thrash Around For a Year After Death - September 14th, 2019
- Cyborg | DC - May 31st, 2019
- Cyborg (1989) - IMDb - May 31st, 2019
- Cyborg (Character) - Comic Vine - May 31st, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Cyborg (comics) - Wikipedia - May 15th, 2019
- Cyborg - Wikipedia - May 1st, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019