On November 8, Bellator will once again showcase the talent of their roster with an exciting Friday night card in Thackerville, Oklahoma, headlined by highly touted middleweight John Salter. Also competing that night is UFC veteran Leslie Smith, who will be making her promotional debut, and King Mo Lawal, who is coming out of retirement for one last fight.
Not only is the main card full of intriguing bouts, so too are the preliminaries. Undefeated prospects Logan Storley and Jordan Young have the opportunity to extend their professional records to 11-0 and 12-0, respectively, and if successful come Friday, will continue climbing the ladder in Bellator.
Also fighting on the prelims is Janay Hollowpoint Harding (5-3), a bantamweight who has recently moved to featherweight in search of championship gold. The Australian will be taking on brawler Amanda Bell, who will be looking to rebound from her July defeat.
Harding spoke to John Hyon Ko of The Body Lock about her upcoming bout and her journey to becoming a well-rounded fighter.
Janay Harding will step into the Bellator cage for the fourth time this Friday. Although she suffered defeat in her first outing for the promotion, Hollowpoint has bounced back with two dominant wins, with the latest coming in March.
In her last fight, Harding outclassed Russian submission maestro Marina Mokhnatkina for three rounds to score a unanimous decision victory. Despite controlling her opponent for the full 15 minutes, the 25-year-old was critical of her performance, stating that she was disappointed.
There was a lot I was disappointed in, Harding said.
For me, it wasnt my best performance, I think mentally I wasnt in the fight. We made a few changes in the [training] camp so I think a combination of increased muscle mass and just not being used to my new physique did make a bit of difference in how technical I was, especially [going] into the third round. I was just a bit sloppy and obviously gassed quite a bit. I was still happy to come away [with the win] and be dominant.
As of late, Harding and her team have begun putting a newfound focus on her grappling game, which was critical considering the level of jiu-jitsu her opponent possessed.
I was just really looking forward to showcasing my jiu-jitsu against someone who has such [a] high [level of] jiu-jitsu. And just being able to show that as much as Im a striker Ive been working on my jiu-jitsu this whole time and I have solid jiu-jitsu as well. Its just not something I gravitate towards in [terms] of my performance, so it was really good to test that stuff.
Last month, Bellator unveiled the signing of one of the greatest female mixed martial artists of all time: Cris Cyborg. Shortly after this, they announced that she would get an immediate title shot against the companys featherweight queen Julia Budd.
Harding weighed in on the former UFC stars immediate title shot, and who she thinks will walk away with the featherweight crown.
They are both such great caliber opponents for one another, and I think thats a matchup that they have both been waiting for for a very long time, Harding said.
Julias such a strong champion that its kind of the first matchup that comes to mind thats going to be Cris biggest challenge. Im happy that she gets the title fight and interested to see who walks away with the title.
I do think she [Cyborg] is slowing down a tiny bit, just because of her age, and because of her age in this sport [which] makes a big difference. So I think technically theyll go head to head in a few different sections. I think well get to see a few different areas from both women and then whoever makes the best decisions comes out on top. I really dont think its going to be one of those quick finishes from either girl, but either way, itll be interesting.
The arrival of Cyborg in Bellator is not only huge for the promotion financially but crucial to the success of their 145-pound division. Along with their champion, many other of the female featherweights on the roster have spoken publically about the strength of Bellators featherweight division; they were able to create something the UFC was so desperately trying to force.
Janay Harding is one of many who feel like Bellator is the premier destination for all female featherweights, and credits Cris Cyborg for being a non-stop advocate for the division.
Even when I got signed Cris shared that on her story shes always been a massive advocate of just growing the sport, especially the featherweight division for females, said Harding.
In the last two years its just really skyrocketed, and I think theyve extended the gap between the UFC and Bellator featherweight division. So much so that its almost out of reach for the UFC now.
If I become a titleholder in Bellator, Im not only world champion, Im world champion in the deepest featherweight division on earth.
On November 8, Janay Harding will square off against highly experienced Amanda Bell, who will be hungry to return to the win column. Bell has won two of her four Bellator bouts, both via TKO.
I think shes a fantastic opponent exclaimed Harding, her record isnt the best of course, but shes fought some of the best people, which makes a massive difference and it just gives [her] so much more credibility.
For me, thats a great fight. I love to be challenged, and not only am I challenged, but I do feel like my style works perfectly against hers. That kind of thing will just allow me to showcase my skills and showcase the fact that I am super worthy to be up the top end of these featherweight female rankings.
Her opponent is known to be a brawler, meaning she likes to stand and bang in order to dictate the victor. Harding must be wary of this, as 4 of Bells 6 wins have come via knockout.
Nonetheless the Australian remains certain that she will display her full skillset, which will leave doubters over how well rounded she really is.
I want to utilize every skill I have. I want to make sure that Im showcasing the fact that Im an all-round fighter like I attempted last time. I just wanted to reiterate that I have a solid ground game and I have a solid all-round MMA game.
Although she is the biggest female signing in the promotions history, Cris Cyborg wasnt the first to jump ship from the UFC to Bellator. At the start of the year, the companys president Scott Coker revealed that former UFC bantamweight Leslie Smith had signed a contract, and would be competing at featherweight.Smith made her promotional debut in July, picking up a majority decision victory of Sinead Kavanagh.
Smith will also be competing on November 8 against Arlene Blencowe, who happens to have a stoppage victory over Harding. The Australian has her sights set on both women and is confident a fight could materialize with the two in the future.
When Leslie got signed I was super interested in that fight for myself, Harding told John Hyon Ko.
And of course Ive always been interested in that rematch with Arlene and Im sure well get our time, no doubt now that were in the same promotion. But Im just interested to see how they go: obviously Leslie had a great run in the UFC and shes a veteran on her own accord, but Arlene has incredible skills, especially in the striking. Shes so heavy-handed that I think Leslie will have a little bit of trouble with that. But either way, I think itll make a great fight.
3 ideal opponents for Sergio Pettis Bellator debut
Michael Chandler vs. Benson Henderson II set for Bellator Japan
After main event win over former champ, Lorenz Larkin eyes Bellator Japan card
Fedor Emelianenko to face Quinton Rampage Jackson at Bellator x RIZIN event on 12/29
See the article here:
- The Great Divide: What is the biggest dream fight fans missed out on? - MMA Fighting - March 26th, 2020
- Darkseid is Showing Thanos How You REALLY Change Reality - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 100 Fights to Watch at Home this Weekend - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - March 26th, 2020
- The Mandalorian casts Terminator and Aliens legend Michael Biehn as bounty hunter in Disney+ season 2 - The Irish Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Walking the Walk and Heeding the Talk for Now - The SandPaper - March 26th, 2020
- 15 Female UFC Fighters In Their Workout And Gym Gear | TheThings - TheThings - March 26th, 2020
- Super Promotions: 10 Teen Characters Who Graduated To The Avengers Or Justice League - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 26th, 2020
- DCEU: 10 Ways The Slate Has Changed Since The Franchise Began - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Here is every UFC womens champion in the history of the promotion - FanSided - March 26th, 2020
- Meet The STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS of Marvel's New Comic - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2020
- Planet Earth Report Cyborgs Will Lead Us to an Intelligent Universe to a New Force of Nature - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - March 16th, 2020
- 'War of the Worlds' Episode 5: Killer cyborgs' obsession with babies is show's biggest mystery - MEAWW - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists successfully created a cybernetic neural network - The Next Web - March 16th, 2020
- Patricio Freire's title, tourney hopes on the line at closed Bellator event - ESPN - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists Linked Artificial and Biological Neurons in a Networkand Amazingly, It Worked - Singularity Hub - March 16th, 2020
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 - Netflix Shares New Stills from Its CG Anime - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 16th, 2020
- The Terminator sequel trilogies that never were - Film Stories - March 16th, 2020
- The Pac-12 in Polaroids - Rule Of Tree - March 16th, 2020
- Who Wants To Help Steve Cohen Build A Trading Cyborg? - Dealbreaker - March 8th, 2020
- Alita's got nothing on this mind-controlled robotic arm that links to your nerves - SYFY WIRE - March 8th, 2020
- 'Don Giovanni' breaks fourth wall, fuses cyborgs with Mozart classic - Indiana University The Penn Online - March 8th, 2020
- 5 Things About Nebula The MCU Changed (& 5 They Kept The Same) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 8th, 2020
- 8 books that inspired fashion collections - Dazed - March 8th, 2020
- Enforce Earbud-Only Zones For The Jerks Infecting The Public With Noise - The Federalist - March 8th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 2: Where You Know Trepps Actor From - Screen Rant - March 8th, 2020
- Cyborg | DC - March 4th, 2020
- This is What the Cyborg Movie in the DCEU Can be Like - TVOvermind - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim about a cyborg on a dying Earth - PC Gamer - March 4th, 2020
- Cyborg | Teen Titans Wiki | Fandom - March 4th, 2020
- This YouTube time traveler says hes a cyborg from 2050and he wants you to buy merch - The Daily Dot - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim a couple of cyborg on a dying Earth - BingePost - March 4th, 2020
- Energizer Hard Case H280S: A KaiOS-powered blower that can withstand a few knocks - The Register - March 4th, 2020
- DC: 5 Superheroes We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 4th, 2020
- Apple to pay up to $500M over battery-related phone slowdown - ABC 4 - March 4th, 2020
- Felicia 'The FeeNom' Spencer's future could be of vital importance to the UFC after Cris Cyborg fight - Sportskeeda - February 29th, 2020
- Felicia Spencer Aiming For A Title Shot - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - February 29th, 2020
- Teamfight Tactics' next update turns everyone into cyborgs and Sailor Moon - PC Gamer - February 29th, 2020
- Made In Abyss: 10 Burning Questions About Season One That The Sequel Could Finally Answer - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- Star Trek: Picard Fixes The Biggest Problem With First Contact - Screen Rant - February 29th, 2020
- Doctor Who is clearly rewriting the history and future of an iconic villain - SYFY WIRE - February 29th, 2020
- Alita: Battle Angel - 5 Things The Live-Action Movies Got Right (& 5 Things That The Anime Did Better) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- This Cyborg Man Devised a Way to Play Music with His Mind - Beebom - February 29th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode 1 recap: The Bad Batch blazes into action on Disney Plus - CNET - February 29th, 2020
- Roxane Gay World of Wakanda Was a Short-lived but Brilliant Series - Comic Years - February 29th, 2020
- Cyborg grasshoppers have been engineered to sniff out explosives - New Scientist News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'Cyborg' grasshopper engineered to sniff explosives - E&T Magazine - February 23rd, 2020
- The life of a voluntary cyborg - University Affairs - February 23rd, 2020
- Harley Quinn's Cyborg Might Be Better Than the Justice League's - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 23rd, 2020
- Sy Borgman: The new Cyborg in town! - Animated Times - February 23rd, 2020
- See Henry Cavill With Black Superman Costume & Beard In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - February 23rd, 2020
- Grievous began to realize far too late - Dork Side of the Force - February 23rd, 2020
- 7 Dance Performances to See in N.Y.C. This Weekend - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Doom Patrol Season 2 Brings In a New Character Having Cyborg Connection! Find Out Who He/She Is! - Top Buzz Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Fighters and Boxers React to Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder - Heavy.com - February 23rd, 2020
- Scientists create cyborg jellyfish with swimming superpowers - CNET - January 30th, 2020
- New Bellator champ Cris Cyborg was as raw, violent and captivating as ever - The Athletic - January 30th, 2020
- Cyborg Smashes Budd at Bellator 238 to Win Title: Caldwell Taps Borics in Featherweight Grand Prix - BroBible - January 30th, 2020
- B.C. Budd aims to unleash fine form on Cyborg in MMA cage at The Forum - Vancouver Sun - January 30th, 2020
- The J-curve of technology: From Snapchat to cyborgs - Media Update - January 30th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019