Mum, when I grow up, I want to be a police officerno, a soccer playerno, a scientist!
Ok darling, that sounds great! But how about becoming a cyborg?
As intelligent machines become increasingly common and powerful things are going to change, especially for those of us in the workforce. To prepare ourselves for the future, we need to learn how to work together with these machines. How can we get the best out of machines, and work together as a seamless team? Or, in a sense, how can we become cyborgs?
Its not just down to the individual to figure out how to transform into an AI-human hybrid. Organizations need to create environments that foster these alliances. So, if your position involves creating jobs, or hiring and managing people, this blog post is for you.
Here, I propose some crucial questions that you should ask in order to future-proof your workplace.
When it comes to discussing AI and the future of work we exhale in relief when someone says machines will have a hard time replacing us. This statement is backed by the argument that most AI systems are narrow. This is when AI systems only do one thing but do it really well, for example, predicting what you want to watch on Netflix. If you ask the same system to make you a cup of coffee or drive your car, youre likely to be disappointed. Similarly, when it comes to work the expectation is that AI can take over certain tasks, but perhaps not entire multidisciplinary roles.
But what happens when the AI system can perform the most significant tasks that a job entails? In our report about creative machines, we looked at how AI can impact work life. One interesting example we found came from the fashion industry, where a company had implemented two AI systems to produce novel designs. Together, the machines did all work, from trend scouting to creating new designs, and predicting how well they would sell. The first human intervention didnt occur until the designs were sent to production. In short, the humans role was to surveil the system.
The AI proved to be successful, but how much fun did the human overseer really have? Especially if they were an educated designer capable of creating new designs by themselves...
For future jobs, we need to learn how the humans role can evolve beyond supervisor, and how we can we draw on human strengths to improve AI systems. Most importantly, we need to ensure that work conducted alongside AI is still perceived as meaningful.
If you dont figure this out, youre unlikely to attract the most talented people in the future.
Lets say you find a way to make working with a machine both meaningful and attractive. How do you make sure your team becomes good at it?
Research published earlier this year coined the term Shadow Learning. As explained in the Harvard Business Review article titled Learning to work with intelligent machines, the researcher studied the challenges new surgeons faced when learning robotic surgery skills. Previously, they learned how to perform surgery by working alongside expert surgeons, but now theyre forced to watch over the surgeons shoulder as, thanks to robotics, individuals can handle entire surgeries with one pair of hands resulting in fewer hands-on learning opportunities for the student.
The term, however, does not mean that you learn by shadowing someone. The phrase refers to students who gained experience with robotic tools by taking it upon themselves to acquire new skills outside of the curriculum. Some students, for instance, used simulation tools or watched videos of robotic surgery on YouTube (what cant you learn from YouTube?). This, however, often forced the students to skip other crucial parts of the course.
For creating the AI-human workforce of the future we need to ensure that there are enough learning opportunities. So, how do you foster continuous learning and create chances for machine-human teams to excel?
See this as an opportunity. When trying to attract future star employees, offering them a chance for professional development and exposure to new technologies will give you a competitive edge against other employers.
We often say that ensuring trust in the machines is crucial. However, overreliance on AI systems could become an issue, especially during decision-making. If you always have an intelligent assistant aiding you it could get harder to ignore its advice. The smarter it gets, the harder it would be to argue against it. It may even lead to increased mental obesity, where humans just ask the AI and mindlessly follow its instructions. I have also previously written about this in another post about mental obesity and AI. In another post, my colleague also writes about the effects of overdependence on technology where he notes the typically western habit of taking the escalators rather than the stairs, its just so easy to let the machine do the work.
Overreliance on AI systems could also lead to bolder decisions, as we saw in one of our public safety studies. This insight later turned into another hot consumer trend, as our researched showed that people who perceive their smartphone as a safety device knowingly take greater risks when they have their smartphone with them. Translating this into an organizational setting, its fair to raise the question: will people be more open to taking risks if they believe a system will always be there to aid them? Is it possible that theyll also reflect less on the consequences of AI-guided decisions?
We should be augmented by the machines that we work with, not pacified. But how can you support critical thinking and autonomy at work when employees are aided by intelligent machines?
Finding the sweet spot of trust and reliance in the AI-Human collaboration you will not only inspire and empower your employees to take informed decisions, you will probably also stimulate people to generate more novel ideas.
If we look beyond the current discussion of AI and the future of work which usually revolves around the number of jobs that will be impacted by AI we can focus on how to create inspiring new ways to work with machines.
To get there, we need to figure out how to foster new alliances and bring out the best in both AI and humans.
This is a great opportunity. Just imagine what you can do when your employees are motivated, well trained and empowered. Imagine having Cyborgs!
Visit our IndustryLab and ConsumerLab pages to read more about how technology will impact our lives in the coming years.
- Cyborg grasshoppers have been engineered to sniff out explosives - New Scientist News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'Cyborg' grasshopper engineered to sniff explosives - E&T Magazine - February 23rd, 2020
- The life of a voluntary cyborg - University Affairs - February 23rd, 2020
- Harley Quinn's Cyborg Might Be Better Than the Justice League's - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 23rd, 2020
- Sy Borgman: The new Cyborg in town! - Animated Times - February 23rd, 2020
- See Henry Cavill With Black Superman Costume & Beard In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - February 23rd, 2020
- This Cyborg Man Devised a Way to Play Music with His Mind - Beebom - February 23rd, 2020
- Grievous began to realize far too late - Dork Side of the Force - February 23rd, 2020
- 7 Dance Performances to See in N.Y.C. This Weekend - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Doom Patrol Season 2 Brings In a New Character Having Cyborg Connection! Find Out Who He/She Is! - Top Buzz Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Fighters and Boxers React to Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder - Heavy.com - February 23rd, 2020
- Scientists create cyborg jellyfish with swimming superpowers - CNET - January 30th, 2020
- New Bellator champ Cris Cyborg was as raw, violent and captivating as ever - The Athletic - January 30th, 2020
- Cyborg Smashes Budd at Bellator 238 to Win Title: Caldwell Taps Borics in Featherweight Grand Prix - BroBible - January 30th, 2020
- B.C. Budd aims to unleash fine form on Cyborg in MMA cage at The Forum - Vancouver Sun - January 30th, 2020
- The J-curve of technology: From Snapchat to cyborgs - Media Update - January 30th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- Cyborg (comics) - Wikipedia - December 18th, 2019
- Canadian featherweight Felicia Spencer returns to action on UFC card in Norfolk - The Chronicle Journal - December 18th, 2019
- Watchmen: Damon Lindelof On Why There Were 9 Episodes Instead Of 10 - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- The Witcher: Henry Cavill Says Show Won't Block Him From Superman Role - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- UFC 245 odds, fight card: A closer look at every bout from the early prelims to the main event - CBS Sports - December 18th, 2019
- 'The Falcon and The Winter Soldier' Set Photos Tease New York City Setting - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- Arlene Blencowe thinks she's earned another title shot with win over Leslie Smith at Bellator 233 - MMA Junkie - November 13th, 2019
- Janay Harding: Bellator women's featherweight division is 'almost out of reach for the UFC now' - The Body Lock - November 13th, 2019
- Is Jorge Masvidal now the undisputed BMF? We put together a 32-fighter bracket to find out - The Athletic - November 13th, 2019
- 'Teen Titans GO!' Will Roast Controversial 'Thundercats' Reboot - Heroic Hollywood - November 13th, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization cerebrum waves to control up your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - November 13th, 2019
- Justice League: Has the Snyder Cut Already Been Spoiled? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 13th, 2019
- Song of the Day: "Cyborg" - LemonWire - November 6th, 2019
- Cyborg Is the Cure for DCeaseds Zombie Virus - Or At Least He WAS - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 6th, 2019
- Venom 2: Tom Hardy Teases Fight With Woody Harrelson's Carnage In Pic - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Daniel Craig's No Time To Die Is The Most Expensive James Bond Film - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Anthony Mackie Reveals First Look At Falcon & The Winter Soldier - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The only thing deadlier than Leslie Smiths hands is (apparently) her Chapstick - MMA Mania - November 6th, 2019
- The worlds largest cruise ship has a bar with robot bartenders. Heres how my margarita compared to one made by a human. - Business Insider - November 6th, 2019
- Keanu Reeves Goes Public With First Girlfriend In Decades - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The Top 15 Onscreen Terminator Robots, Ranked in Order - Superherohype.com - November 6th, 2019
- Grant Gustin Dons Green Lantern-Impressed The Flash Go well with In Neat Fan Art - The Media Hq - November 6th, 2019
- Behind The Night: Diaz vs Cyborg - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill roboticist on his way to becoming the world's first full cyborg - Firstpost - October 21st, 2019
- Disembodied cyborg hand can solve a Rubiks Cube using scary smart AI - SYFY WIRE - October 21st, 2019
- ALS affected, terminally-ill Robotics expert will transform himself into the world's first 'cyborg' - Digit - October 21st, 2019
- Is this guitar-playing cyborg from Japan the future of heavy metal? - Guitar World - October 21st, 2019
- Dying scientist is about to become first cyborg - Times of India - October 21st, 2019
- The Terminator timeline explained: Every key event from the franchise in chronological order - GamesRadar - October 21st, 2019
- Ruby Rose's Batwoman & Grant Gustin's The Flash Unite In Arrowverse Crossover BTS Photos - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- Creating the Symbiotic AI Workforce of the Future - MIT Sloan - October 21st, 2019
- See Keanu Reeves Transform Into The MCU's Ghost Rider In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization mind waves to catalyst your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill scientist is about to 'transform' into world's first full cyborg - Mirror Online - October 16th, 2019
- Taika Waititi Confirms Korg Will Return In 'Thor: Love And Thunder' - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- J.J. Abrams Spider-Man book killed The Avengers in a very Abrams way - Polygon - October 16th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Runtime Possibly Revealed - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Preparing municipalities for customers of the future - ESI Africa - October 16th, 2019
- Jesse Eisenberg On His Future As Lex Luthor With DC Films - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- BMF Resume: Justin Gaethje - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 16th, 2019
- 'Sonic The Hedgehog Halloween Masks Are On Sale & They're Horrifying - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Teen Titans: How Kid Flash Helped Shape the Iconic DC Team | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 16th, 2019
- Review: The Ninja Saviors - Return of the Warriors - Destructoid - October 16th, 2019