How dangerous is the virus?
There are three parameters to understand in order to assess the magnitude of the risk posed by this novel coronavirus:
The attack rate or transmissibility (how rapidly the disease spreads) of a virus is indicated by its reproductive number (Ro, pronounced R-nought or r-zero), which represents the average number of people to which a single infected person will transmit the virus.
WHO's estimated (on Jan. 23) Ro to be between 1.4 and 2.5. 
Other studies have estimated a Ro between 3.6 and 4.0, and between 2.24 to 3.58. .
Preliminary studies had estimated Ro to be between 1.5 and 3.5. 
An outbreak with a reproductive number of below 1 will gradually disappear.
For comparison, the Ro for the common flu is 1.3 and for SARS it was 2.0.
See full details: Coronavirus Fatality Rate
The novel coronavirus' case fatality rate has been estimated at around 2%, in the WHO press conference held on January 29, 2020  . However, it noted that, without knowing how many were infected, it was too early to be able to put a percentage on the mortality rate figure.
A prior estimate  had put that number at 3%.
Fatality rate can change as a virus can mutate, according to epidemiologists.
For comparison, the case fatality rate for SARS was 10%, and for MERS 34%.
See full details: COVID-19 Coronavirus Incubation Period
Symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 (estimated ranges vary from 2-10 days, 2-14 days, and 10-14 days, see details), during which the virus is contagious but the patient does not display any symptom (asymptomatic transmission).
See latest findings: Age, Sex, Demographics of COVID-19 Cases and Deaths
According to early estimates by China's National Health Commission (NHC), about 80% of those who died were over the age of 60 and 75% of them hadpre-existing health conditions such as cardiovascular diseases anddiabetes.
According to the WHO Situation Report no. 7 issued on Jan. 27:
A study of 138 hospitalized patients with NCIP found that the median age was 56 years (interquartile range, 42-68; range, 22-92 years) and 75 (54.3%) were men.
The WHO, in its Myth busters FAQs, addresses the question: "Does the new coronavirus affect older people, or are younger people also susceptible?" by answering that:
As of Jan. 29, according to French authorities, the conditions of the two earliest Paris cases had worsened and the patients were being treated in intensive care, according to French authorities. The patients have been described as a young couple aged 30 and 31 years old, both Chinese citizens from Wuhan who were asymptomatic when they arrived in Paris on January 18 .
The NHC reported the details of the first 17 deaths up to 24 pm on January 22, 2020. The deaths included 13 males and 4 females. The median age of the deaths was 75 (range 48-89) years.
See full details: WHO coronavirus updates
On January 30, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a Global Public Health Emergency.
For more information from the WHO regarding novel coronavirus: WHO page on Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
View original post here:
- Church Announces Adjustments to Missionary Work, Will ... - June 21st, 2020
- Further Adjustments to Missionary Service - The Church of ... - June 21st, 2020
- Peter Navarro: Trump call to slow Covid-19 testing was 'tongue-in-cheek' - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- Daughter speaks out after her father dies of Covid-19: 'It was preventable' - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- First Presidency Letter on Administrative Principles in ... - June 21st, 2020
- 6 Trump Staffers Test Positive For COVID-19 Ahead Of Tulsa Rally - NPR - June 21st, 2020
- What a Negative COVID-19 Test Really Means - The Atlantic - June 21st, 2020
- Covid-19 unmasks what cancer patients have long known: The world needs a better and more equitable health system - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- OSDH: 478 new COVID-19 cases, another death reported Sunday in Oklahoma - Enid News & Eagle - June 21st, 2020
- TABC suspends West 6th Street bars permit for violating COVID-19 protocols - KXAN.com - June 21st, 2020
- Cleveland ISD suspends all student activities after families test positive for COVID-19 - KHOU.com - June 21st, 2020
- How PGA Tour pro Nick Watney's positive COVID-19 test revealed the need for ongoing adjustments - ESPN - June 21st, 2020
- Doctor Warns Of Risks In Rush To Embrace A COVID-19 Treatment - NPR - June 21st, 2020
- Clemson University & City officials announce increased COVID-19 detection within community - FOX Carolina - June 21st, 2020
- Fauci says US 'still in the first wave' as six states see record Covid-19 cases - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- CDC to conduct COVID-19 survey house-to-house in Manassas area - WTOP - June 21st, 2020
- Healthy teenager who took precautions died suddenly of Covid-19 - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Source of Beijing's big new COVID-19 outbreak is still a mystery - Science Magazine - June 21st, 2020
- CDC issues recommendations to help protect beachgoers from Covid-19 spread - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- 10 states are seeing their highest average of daily new Covid-19 cases since the pandemic started - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Is Trump Trying to Spread Covid-19? - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- Risk of COVID-19 exposure 'higher than ever,' as Utah reports 407 new cases and four deaths - Salt Lake Tribune - June 21st, 2020
- Covid-19 Is Bad. But It May Not Be the Big One - WIRED - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Warns of Newly Discovered Potential Drug Interaction That May Reduce Effectiveness of a COVID-19 Treatment... - June 21st, 2020
- Gov. Beshear addresses protest shooting investigation, gives COVID-19 update - WSAZ-TV - June 3rd, 2020
- Automakers have another Covid-19 problem: Suppliers - CNN - June 3rd, 2020
- The challenges of containing the spread of COVID-19 in jail for both inmates and staff - KELOLAND.com - June 3rd, 2020
- People Are Avoiding The Doctor Due To COVID-19 Fears - Honolulu Civil Beat - June 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus daily news updates, June 2: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world - Seattle Times - June 3rd, 2020
- Americans vote in primaries amid Covid-19 and mass protests - The Guardian - June 3rd, 2020
- Just As We Were Making Progress: Gov. Jared Polis Says He Fears Hundreds Of New COVID-19 Cases Due To Protests - CBS Denver - June 3rd, 2020
- Businesses hit by COVID-19 closures and damage from riots - FOX 5 DC - June 3rd, 2020
- The Utah legislature's COVID-19 commission to re-open votes to go to 'green' this weekend - fox13now.com - June 3rd, 2020
- Additional COVID-19 case reported in Dare; total now 23 - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - June 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus brief: What happened in COVID-19 news yesterday in Sioux City, beyond - Sioux City Journal - June 3rd, 2020
- Despite COVID-19, The Washington Center internships are up, virtually - WTOP - June 3rd, 2020
- Experts warn COVID-19 battle isn't over as life starts to return to normal in Lexington - WKYT - June 3rd, 2020
- What you need to know about the COVID-19 pandemic on 1 June - World Economic Forum - June 3rd, 2020
- First human trial of potential antibody treatment for Covid-19 begins - CNN - June 3rd, 2020
- The world's new Covid-19 epicenter could be the worst yet - CNN - June 3rd, 2020
- One in 10 Covid-19 patients with diabetes die within a week, study finds - CNN - June 3rd, 2020
- 11 employees and 1 patient test positive for COVID-19 at Lincoln Regional Center - Omaha World-Herald - June 3rd, 2020
- Police violence will make it harder to fight COVID-19 - The Verge - June 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Mayo Clinic - May 31st, 2020
- Florida's cases of COVID-19 topped 56,000 Sunday; more than 1 million Floridians tested - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - May 31st, 2020
- UK Finalizes COVID-19 Production Guidelines Read Them In Full - Deadline - May 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 and the Rural Fear of Taking Advantage - The New York Times - May 31st, 2020
- Utah is averaging more than 200 new coronavirus cases a day over the past week as hot spots flare up from Logan to St. George - Salt Lake Tribune - May 31st, 2020
- ICE keeps transferring detainees around the country, leading to COVID-19 outbreaks - NBC News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus daily news updates, May 31: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state, and the world - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- 103-year-old woman celebrates beating Covid-19 with a cold beer - CNN - May 31st, 2020
- Incidents of Pediatric Illness Associated With COVID-19 Still Low In Southern California - KPBS - May 31st, 2020
- CDC Says Cars Are Better Than Mass Transit during COVID-19 Crisis - Car and Driver - May 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 misinformation: pro-Trump and QAnon Twitter bots found to be worst culprits - The Guardian - May 31st, 2020
- Navajo Nation Loses Elders And Tradition To COVID-19 - NPR - May 31st, 2020
- Bars and restaurants roll with changes amid COVID-19 - Gazettextra - May 31st, 2020
- Global report: new clues about role of pangolins in Covid-19 as US severs ties with WHO - The Guardian - May 31st, 2020
- Could nearly half of those with Covid-19 have no idea they are infected? - The Guardian - May 31st, 2020
- 70 soldiers and trainees at Fort Leonard Wood test positive for COVID-19 - News-Leader - May 31st, 2020
- Williams: America is battling two lethal adversaries, COVID-19 and racism. One is deadlier. - Richmond.com - May 31st, 2020
- One New COVID-19 Case on Maui Brings Hawaii Total to 652; 95.7% Recovered - Maui Now - May 31st, 2020
- How to Recover From Covid-19 at Home - The New York Times - May 31st, 2020
- Nearing 100000 COVID-19 Deaths, U.S. Is Still 'Early In This Outbreak' - NPR - May 31st, 2020
- Trump: US will terminate relationship with WHO amid Covid-19 pandemic - STAT - May 31st, 2020
- WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 29 May 2020 - World Health Organization - May 31st, 2020
- The Covid-19 Riddle: Why Does the Virus Wallop Some Places and Spare Others? - The New York Times - May 3rd, 2020
- Covid-19 recap: Benchmarks, restrictions, and round two? - Port City Daily - May 3rd, 2020
- Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Results of Completed Antibody Testing Study of 15000 People Showing 12.3 Percent of... - May 3rd, 2020
- Man who lost mom to Covid-19 thanks nurse who arranged for them to video chat one last time - CNN - May 3rd, 2020
- Livingston County COVID-19 cases at 80 with 5 new cases confirmed Saturday - The Livingston County News - May 3rd, 2020
- First responders recovered from Covid-19 return to frontlines with a new grasp of the enemy - CNN - May 3rd, 2020
- Antibody, Antigen And PCR Tests For COVID-19: Know The Differences : Shots - Health News - NPR - May 3rd, 2020
- Covid-19 in prisons and meatpacking plants shed a light on Americas moral failures - Vox.com - May 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 tests offered to diverse neighborhoods in Harrisonburg - WHSV - May 3rd, 2020
- Increased testing continues to push COVID-19 count higher - The Southern - May 3rd, 2020
- Congress is investigating cruise ship company Carnival over COVID-19 outbreaks - The Verge - May 3rd, 2020
- Man and his daughter die of Covid-19 within days of each other - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- The effect of human mobility and control measures on the COVID-19 epidemic in China - Science Magazine - May 3rd, 2020
- Recovered patients who tested positive for COVID-19 likely not reinfected - Livescience.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Stroke and coronavirus: Blood clotting is a new Covid-19 mystery - Vox.com - May 3rd, 2020