The cryptocurrency market has continued to witness a boom despite the global pandemic wreaking havoc on all significant economies on the planet.
Many crypto startups have emerged in the space during this pandemic to cater to the ever-increasing demand for Bitcoin and alike cryptocurrencies.
For instance, CoinSwitch Kuber recently announced the raising of $15 million (Rs 109 crore) Series A funding from leading global fintech investors such as Ribbit Capital, Paradigm, Sequoia Capital India and prominent angel investor Kunal Shah from CRED.
Cryptocurrency market capitalisation fueled by Bitcoins growth recently crossed the $1 trillion mark. Out of which, Bitcoin, has been on a bull run for quite some time and is responsible for roughly 69% of the total market value.
Similarly, many cryptocurrency prices have been on the rise, and investors are wondering why. Here are five reasons why cryptocurrency prices are rising:
Recently, there has been a trend where public companies are converting their cash treasuries into cryptocurrency. Square, an American payments company, bought $50 million worth of Bitcoins. Following this, Microstrategy- a public listed company in the US, converted $425 million worth of cash reserves into Bitcoin, considering it to be a better store of value.
The launch included four majorly traded currencies, namely Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, and Litecoin. Paypal has also announced plans of allowing transactions to be made using cryptocurrencies.
Paypal is known to have 350 million users who will now be capable of adopting crypto as a payment means. Also, its 30 million merchants will have the option of receiving payments in crypto.
Paypal was one of the critics of cryptocurrency as a sustainable currency. Now it is one of the biggest names jumping on the bandwagon. Along with others and PayPal's support, there has been more demand for the asset class, thus contributing to its price rise.
Apart from Paypal, the company also owns another popular payment platform Venmo which will expose another 40 million users to crypto payment. While these platforms are new to crypto, some other platforms are already making crypto payments wider.
As several private investors seek to adopt cryptocurrency as a means of exchange, many governments are also trying to regulate the market.
Many countries like Japan, USA, Germany etc. have taken a positive stance towards cryptocurrencies.
Bitcoin Halving Driven ScarcityIt is not news that most cryptocurrencies in the market have a limited supply. Bitcoin is also one of them. This year the third Bitcoin Halving took place.
Bitcoin halving is an important event in the Bitcoin network that happens every four years.
The Bitcoin network works because it introduces new bitcoins in the market by a process called Bitcoin mining. Bitcoin miners do this mining by verifying Bitcoin blocks which are simply groups of Bitcoin transactions.
Every 10 minutes, a miner who can verify one block of transactions and add it to the Bitcoin network gets awarded a certain amount of bitcoins as a reward.
Currently, this reward stands at 6.25 BTC per valid block mined. But this reward per block reduces by half roughly every four years, or after every 210000 blocks are mined. This phenomenon of Bitcoin block reward getting reduced by 50% every four years is termed as Bitcoin halving.
It also doubles the stock to flow ratio (total currency available: total currency in circulation) making is highly scarce.
Halving is one of the most critical factors that contribute to the price of Bitcoin.
Since there are only 21 million Bitcoins in total, there is less circulation of the market currency as the reward decreases. And as more people become aware of the asset's scarcity, more demand rises, resulting in a higher price.
Since Bitcoin holds more than half of the market capitalisation, the Bitcoin price variation may affect other currencies.
Easy Accessibility To PublicCryptocurrency is a digital currency that can be used as both - a store of value and a mode of exchange. While it has just started to gain attention as a legit payment method, it has established itself as a new asset class over the past decade.
Even if the public is unwilling to use it for transactions, many want to convert their cash into crypto because they believe that its deflationary nature makes it a better store of value and a hedge against inflation.
Especially in India, after the RBI ban against cryptocurrency was lifted, its investors had a significant surge.
Many platforms have launched and received funding in this space to make crypto investing accessible. One such platform is CoinSwitch Kuber- acquiring over two million users in just six months after it launched.
As cryptocurrency is becoming more accessible to the public, more retail investors want a share of the asset class and are willing to pay more.
Bottom LineIf the rising prices in the crypto market have got you thinking that it is too late to invest in cryptocurrencies, understand that this is just the beginning.
With more countries seeking to regulate the market, cryptocurrencies will become mainstream.
Disclaimer: This above is non-editorial content and TIL hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, relating to the same. TIL does not guarantee, vouch for or necessarily endorse any of the above content nor is responsible for them in any manner whatsoever. The article does not constitute investment advice. Please take all steps necessary to ascertain that any information and content provided is correct, updated and verified.
Read more here:
- Crypto cash: Stakeholders talk about what could be the way forward - The Indian Express - November 29th, 2021
- Data Shows a Myriad of Crypto Networks Are More Profitable to Mine Than Bitcoin Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Hit Another New All-Time High This Month. Why Crypto Investors Should Ignore the Ups and Downs - NextAdvisor - November 29th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash: Why this moving average could be key for a break to the upside - AMBCrypto News - October 20th, 2021
- As Bitcoin goes mainstream, Wall Street looks to cash in - ABC News - October 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash Gets Geared Up For A Move As Ethereum Lead The Way Higher - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 20th, 2021
- ETC Group: Europe Overtakes Canada to Hold the World's Largest and Most Traded Physical Single Asset Cryptocurrency ETP - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- The Prophecy Of Satoshi Nakamoto: Bitcoin As Religion - Bitcoin Magazine - October 20th, 2021
- NBA agrees to first cryptocurrency sponsorship deal with Coinbase - Basketball Insiders - October 20th, 2021
- Grayscale confirms Bitcoin ETF plans and adds exposure to Zcash, Stellar Lumens and Horizen to its trusts - Cointelegraph - October 20th, 2021
- Douugh partners with Zero Hash to launch integrated crypto offering - Finextra - October 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): Hows It Differ From Bitcoin and Whats It Worth? - Yahoo Finance - April 5th, 2021
- The Power of ETH and BCH: Smart Bitcoin Cash Project Highlights Innovative Sidechain Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Developers Launch the First Hosted Noncustodial Payment Processor for Bitcoin Cash Payments Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Ethereum Sets a New All-Time High Above the $2K Handle, Bitcoin Cash Markets Jump 8% Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- US Judge Dismisses Antitrust Case Accusing Bitmain, Kraken, and BCH Devs of Manipulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 5th, 2021
- Top 10 Cryptocurrencies To Invest In 2021 - Goodreturns - April 5th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers April 5th, 2021 - FX Empire - April 5th, 2021
- PayPal solidifies standing as major crypto player with latest payment option - Business Insider - April 5th, 2021
- Ziglu makes Tezos and digital coin tez available to customers - Finextra - April 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): There's More Than One Bitcoin? - Vulcan Post - April 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Soars After Kim Dotcom Support - Finance Magnates - February 15th, 2021
- Kim Dotcom Publishes a Website That Highlights the Benefits of Bitcoin Cash Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - February 15th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers February 14th, 2021 - FX Empire - February 15th, 2021
- What is the problem with cryptocurrency (bitcoin)? - Investors' Corner - Investors' Corner BNP Paribas - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin Has Reached Its Latest High Above $48,000What's Next? - Forbes - February 15th, 2021
- Apple Pay can now be used to spend Bitcoin - CNET - February 15th, 2021
- Uber wont buy bitcoin with its cash but would consider accepting it as payment, CEO says - CNBC - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin cash out: Is it worth using Bitcoin as money? - Marketing Analysis - February 15th, 2021
- UK cryptocurrency startups coining the future of fintech in 2021 - UKTN (UK Technology News - February 15th, 2021
- If Dogecoin is a Joke, Why is Elon Musk Pumping This Meme Cryptocurrency? - Value The Markets - February 15th, 2021
- Better Than Bitcoin? 6 Other Cryptocurrencies You Should Consider - InvestorPlace - February 15th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash, Ripple Price Prediction: What Next for BCH and XRP? - InvestingCube - February 11th, 2021
- Ray Dalio on why Bitcoin is zooming and why it faces hurdles as an alternative asset - Moneycontrol - February 11th, 2021
- The Impact of Bitcoin on Online Poker - TechRound - February 11th, 2021
- The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: What It Is and How It Works - CoinDesk - Coindesk - February 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 9.14% Up In The Last 24 Hours - Via News Agency - February 11th, 2021
- Central Bank of Kenya to Reportedly Use Bitcoin as Reserve Currency - Coingape - February 11th, 2021
- Dogecoin Blasts Into Top 10, And Leaves - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- Crypto Has Entered Its Fourth Stage Of Adoption, Industry Exec Says - Forbes - January 30th, 2021
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers January 30th, 2021 - FX Empire - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bearish Momentum: 6.82% Down In The Last 12 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 6.88% Up In The Last 6 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- USDT Transactions on Tron Surpassed Ethereum Tether Transactions Every Day in 2021 Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Jumps To Almost USD 38K, Ethereum, Altcoins Try To Follow - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- American Cancer Society Creates Its First Crypto Only Donation Fund News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Gemini research reveals 2 in 5 crypto investors in the UK are women - PR Newswire UK - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash USD On Bullish Momentum: 5.93% Up In The Last 6 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- How to buy bitcoin in a IRA: Rules, benefits, risks, and where to buy - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin Holds Steady Above USD 30K, Ethereum and Altcoins Gain Traction - Cryptonews - January 30th, 2021
- US Court Sentences ICO Fraudster to 6 Months in Jail: Orders the Accused to Pay Over $4 Million in Restitution Regulation - Bitcoin News - January 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin On Bearish Momentum: 11.62% Down In The Last 12 Hours - Via News Agency - January 30th, 2021
- Ex-CEO of Bitcoin.com, a Leading Proponent of Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Joins Nodle's Board to Help Develop the Nodle Cash Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- The Genesis of BCH Tokenization: Over 10,000 SLP Tokens Built on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 30th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Roger Ver Propaganda for the Blockchain Technology and Use Case Continues - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 28th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Crypto hedge funds and mining regulations: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 27th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- What Would Jesus Think of Bitcoin? - hackernoon.com - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 26th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- AirVPN review: Good speeds and full of stats - PCWorld - September 30th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 25th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Unlimited Launches Two-Option Voting App Powered by Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Up $0.33 On 4 Hour Chart, Started Today Up 2.12%; in a Downtrend Over Past 30 Days - CFDTrading - September 18th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 18th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 18th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 17th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 18th, 2020
- Miny.CC Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Mining Sphere | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Mad Money's Jim Cramer 'Fixated' on Buying Bitcoin, Fears Massive Inflation | News - Bitcoin News - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Faces Third Blockchain Split in Under Four Years - Decrypt - September 4th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers September 4th, 2020 - FX Empire - September 4th, 2020
- Meet The 2 Newest Grayscale Products That Trade On OTC Markets - Yahoo Finance - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Analysis: Breakdown Could Extend Below $200 - Live Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Price Prediction: Bitcoin Cash, Tron and Ethereum European Wrap 2 September - FXStreet - September 4th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers August 31st, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Slips in Latest Crypto Ranking by Chinese Government-Backed Center | News - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- The Crypto Daily Movers and Shakers August 30th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 4th, 2020
- Canaan Cuts Losses for Second Successive Quarter, Down To $2.4M in Q2; Demand Remains Weak - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Inter-Blockchain Liquidity: Minting Synthetic Bitcoin Cash With the Ren Protocol - Bitcoin News - August 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Price Prediction: BCH/USD looking forward to a falling wedge pattern breakout - FXStreet - August 28th, 2020