The federal bankruptcy law is designed to provide people going through a tough financial time with an opportunity for a fresh start.
To help you determine if you need a fresh start, you can use our Credit Card Debt Calculator to determine how long it will take to pay off your credit cards if you do nothing.
There are many reasons why people file for bankruptcy relief. Often, it is because of a loss of income due to losing a job or even just a decrease in income that prevents the person from paying all of their bills.
Another life event that may cause someone to file for bankruptcy relief is a medical emergency or prolonged illness that results in massive medical costs that are not covered by insurance. Even the death of a spouse can create a financial crisis where the only alternative is to file for bankruptcy protection. It could even be that someone has made very poor financial decisions in the past and have over-extended himself or herself to the point where it is now impossible to meet all of their financial obligations given their current income.
The bottom line is that people file for bankruptcy relief because some type of life event or circumstance has caused them to be unable to continue paying for their basic living expenses in addition to paying their bills.
The ultimate goal in filing for relief under either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a discharge of your debts.
If you qualify to file for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case, you will receive a complete discharge of most of, in not all, of your unsecured debts when the case is completed. This means that once the bankruptcy case is closed, you will no longer be legally responsible for the payment of the debts that are discharged through the bankruptcy case.
The automatic stay provisions of Section 362 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code prevent creditors from attempting to collect any debt that is discharged through a Chapter 7 bankruptcy action. This includes collection actions, wage garnishments, judgments and seizure of property.
If you file a Chapter 13 you will create a 3 to 5 year repayment plan. At the end of the successful competition of your plan your debts will be discharged.
The advantage of a Chapter 13 plan is that it may allow to keep your home or other property on which you are behind in payments or which are not covered by your exemptions. You will also enjoy the protections of the automatic stay when you file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
The property a debtor can keep through the bankruptcy is determined by the specific exemptions available under state law. Bankruptcy Information allows you to search for state exemptions. In addition, residents of certain states are allowed to choose federal exemptions instead of state exemptions.
Before deciding upon the appropriate course of action you may wish to explore somealternatives to bankruptcy and review thefrequently asked questionssection of the site in order to gain a better understanding of the bankruptcy process.
- Bankruptcy | United States Courts - June 13th, 2020
- Bankruptcy Definition - Investopedia - June 13th, 2020
- Understanding Bankruptcy: How to File & Qualifications - June 13th, 2020
- The Truth About Bankruptcy | DaveRamsey.com - June 13th, 2020
- Bankruptcy: How it Works, Types & Consequences - Experian - June 13th, 2020
- Bankrupt Hertz is (desperately) trying to cash in on its stock spike - CNN - June 13th, 2020
- Chuck E. Cheese on the brink of bankruptcy, report says - NJ.com - June 13th, 2020
- Legal woes force Illinois carrier to file for bankruptcy protection - FreightWaves - June 13th, 2020
- As economy reopens, wave of bankruptcy filings likely on the way - Buffalo News - June 13th, 2020
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy numbers higher than 2019 due to coronavirus - CBS News - June 13th, 2020
- Bankrupt Hertz gets approval to sell up to $1 billion in stock but experts expect equity to be wiped out - MarketWatch - June 13th, 2020
- Tailored Brands says it may have to file bankruptcy if COVID-19 crisis wears on - Retail Dive - June 13th, 2020
- Bankruptcies Like Hertz Are a Great Investing Opportunity, Hedge Fund Head Says. He's Not Talking About Its Stock. - Barron's - June 13th, 2020
- The Unique Ways Oil Companies Are Looking To Avoid Bankruptcy - OilPrice.com - June 13th, 2020
- These restaurant chains have declared bankruptcy due to the coronavirus - Restaurant Business Online - June 13th, 2020
- California Attorney General Highlights Consumer Rights and Resources in Response to Recent Business Bankruptcies During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Sierra... - June 13th, 2020
- Here's how Hertz bankruptcy has impacted used car prices - WCVB Boston - June 13th, 2020
- Expect Another Wave Of Retail Bankruptcies By Year's End - Bisnow - June 13th, 2020
- Brooks Brothers Is Likely On The Edge Of Bankruptcy - Forbes - June 9th, 2020
- Pre-Bankruptcy Retention Bonuses - At Hertz, Penney, Libbey, Others - Are Rampant - Forbes - June 9th, 2020
- The hot new thing to make your stock pop: Go bankrupt - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Weatherford CEO exits as struggling company faces 'Chapter 22 bankruptcy' - Chron - June 9th, 2020
- Many Small Businesses Question Whether to File for Bankruptcy - NBC 6 South Florida - June 9th, 2020
- PG&E Is Getting Ready to Exit Bankruptcy - Barron's - June 9th, 2020
- A look at the bankruptcy option - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - June 9th, 2020
- Considering filing for bankruptcy during the coronavirus pandemic? Read this first - WTMJ-TV - June 9th, 2020
- What would a WeWork bankruptcy look like? - The Real Deal - June 9th, 2020
- Valuing Firms In A World Of Pandemic-Induced Bankruptcies - Law360 - June 9th, 2020
- Bankruptcy - Nolo's Free Legal Encyclopedia | Nolo - May 28th, 2020
- Hertz, JCPenney, JCrew join list of businesses filing bankruptcy - NBCNews.com - May 28th, 2020
- Texas bankruptcies are up, and Houston is the epicenter - Houston Chronicle - May 28th, 2020
- Tuesday Morning will close some Idaho stores in bankruptcy - boisedev.com - May 28th, 2020
- Related Chairman Stephen Ross: Expect a 'flood' of retail bankruptcies because of the pandemic - CNBC - May 28th, 2020
- Bankruptcies have hit the fastest pace since the Great Recession and more companies are expected to file - Business Insider - May 28th, 2020
- Which major retail companies have filed for bankruptcy since the coronavirus pandemic hit? Here's the list. - NBCNews.com - May 28th, 2020
- How to navigate bankruptcy if the coronavirus wrecks your business - CNBC - May 20th, 2020
- JC Penney to reopen 153 stores as clock is threatening its bankruptcy reorganization - The Dallas Morning News - May 20th, 2020
- Employee Benefit Issues to Know In Bankruptcy - The National Law Review - May 20th, 2020
- Nearly a Third of Small, Independent Farmers Are Facing Bankruptcy by the End of 2020, New Survey Says - gvwire.com - May 20th, 2020
- A Third Option Beyond State Bailouts and Bankruptcy - Reason - May 20th, 2020
- What Every Company Needs to Know About Insolvency, Workouts and Bankruptcy - Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP - May 20th, 2020
- Bankruptcies expected to soar, here's what you need to know - WTVY, Dothan - May 20th, 2020
- All the Fashion and Beauty Brand Closures and Bankruptcies Caused by the Pandemic - Fashionista - May 20th, 2020
- Eye of the hurricane - America Inc faces a wave of bankruptcies | Business - The Economist - May 20th, 2020
- A wave of bankruptcies is coming in Europe - The Economist - May 20th, 2020
- J.C. Penney is closing 240 stores as part of its bankruptcy plan - WRBL - May 19th, 2020
- Bankruptcy partner returns to Kirkland after leaving to pursue musical interests - ABA Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Received a Bankruptcy Notice During the Pandemic? Dont Delay - JD Supra - May 19th, 2020
- America Inc faces a wave of bankruptcies - The Economist - May 19th, 2020
- Bankruptcy courts ill-prepared for tsunami of people going broke from coronavirus shutdown - The Conversation US - May 19th, 2020
- Congress may be forced to deal with wave of bankruptcies - The Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- Hertz Is Unloading a Ton of Corvette Z06s While Reportedly Trying to Avoid Bankruptcy - RoadandTrack.com - May 19th, 2020
- JC Penney is planning to file for bankruptcy in the next day, sources say - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Arizona's three Alamo Drafthouse movie theaters have filed for bankruptcy, cite COVID-19 impacts - ABC15 Arizona - May 15th, 2020
- Congress may be forced to deal with coming wave of bankruptcies - Roll Call - May 15th, 2020
- Bankruptcy and privatization will not lead us to recovery | TheHill - The Hill - May 15th, 2020
- JC Penney poised to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - May 15th, 2020
- What the Bankruptcy Onslaught Means for the Future of Retail - The Business of Fashion - May 15th, 2020
- Flaggs floats bankruptcy as possible solution for city 'devastated by the loss of revenue' - The Vicksburg Post - Vicksburg Post - May 15th, 2020
- Boeing Predicts an Airline Bankruptcy. Heres a Way to Calculate the Odds for Each. - Barron's - May 15th, 2020
- Key Canadian bankruptcy laws and terms - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Oil And Gas Companies Have Begun Filing For Bankruptcy. Heres Why More Could Be On The Way. - Houston Public Media - May 15th, 2020
- A flood of bankruptcies likely in months ahead - GoErie.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Bankruptcy proves to be another problem for the PPP fund - Restaurant Business Online - May 3rd, 2020
- PG&E to Purge Most of Its Board in Fallout From Bankruptcy - NBC Bay Area - May 3rd, 2020
- What effect will COVID-19 have on consumer bankruptcies? - University of Illinois News - May 3rd, 2020
- J. Crew nears bankruptcy, Brooks Brothers seeks buyer - The Real Deal - May 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 pandemic likely put some bankruptcies on hold - ModernHealthcare.com - May 3rd, 2020
- A Flood of Business Bankruptcies Likely in Coming Months - The New York Times - May 3rd, 2020
- Bankruptcy Didn't Help Detroit Fight the Coronavirus - The New York Times - May 3rd, 2020
- State bankruptcy is irrelevant to COVID-19 and bailouts aren't the answer | TheHill - The Hill - May 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Retail Bankruptcies Ready to Boil Over - WWD - May 3rd, 2020
- For the record: Building permits and bankruptcies | Work & Money - Tulsa World - May 3rd, 2020
- Suddenly, bankruptcy is on the mind of business owners - ThisisReno - May 3rd, 2020
- German government to bail Lufthansa out of bankruptcy with nearly $10 billion state aid - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 3rd, 2020
- Airlines need years to recover from COVID-19, if they avoid bankruptcy - Business Insider - May 3rd, 2020
- Bankruptcy Basics | United States Courts - March 31st, 2020
- Upsolve's bankruptcy tool is seeing its first coronavirus cases - Fast Company - March 31st, 2020
- Grocers feast on Lucky's Market stores in bankruptcy auction - Grocery Dive - March 31st, 2020
- From the brink of bankruptcy to a 1,300% stock gain: How this CEO turned around her company. - CNN - March 31st, 2020