Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, plenty of evidence has emerged that wearing face masks cuts down on disease transmission and saves lives. Yet even in cities and states that have mandated mask use, compliance in the United States has been unenthusiastic. And good luck finding a law enforcement officer eager to enforce those mandates.
So heres an idea: Why not enlist the help of artificial intelligence to nudge people to mask up?
Seattle software company RealNetworks has developed an app and data platform that aims to promote mask use and address the safety concerns of businesses, governments and other organizations. The app - dubbed MaskCheck - uses AI and a tablets camera to detect whether a passer-by is not wearing a mask or wearing one improperly (in particular, by covering the mouth but leaving the nose free to inhale and exhale virus-laden air).
On HoustonChronicle.com: Houston's Onit acquires New Zealand AI company
The company is offering the software for free in partnership with the COVID-19 International Research Team, a grass-roots effort by scientists around the world to advance efforts to defeat the pandemic.
In its simplest deployment, the app could be used on kiosks in foyers to check mask usage and alert people when theyre not wearing one properly (or at all), while also showing them the right way to cover their faces. Or it could silently gather data on compliance that could help inform policymakers - for example, in determining whether a mask mandate could enable certain businesses and activities to reopen safely.
For those of us frustrated by the stubborn resistance to face coverings in this country, MaskCheck seems like a good way to prod people to put up with a minor inconvenience in the name of public health. And a flat screen on a pedestal at an entrance or in a hallway can deliver the message without provoking a deadly confrontation, an outcome that seems ludicrous yet has been all too real.
The software is trying to address a problem that extends in multiple directions. The people who are concerned about contracting COVID-19 are avoiding places where theyre likely to share space with unmasked strangers. Business owners and employees may let customers go maskless for fear of alienating them or provoking a fight. And with little more than anecdotal evidence about mask compliance, policymakers draw up pandemic countermeasures based on assumptions about risk that may not be true.
I think well make better policy decisions if we have more data, said Rob Glaser, chief executive of RealNetworks. The company plans to make anonymized, aggregated data collected by the MaskCheck app freely available, so researchers and policymakers can see how well mask mandates are or are not working.
RealNetworks may be best known for its RealAudio technology, which gave rise to the streaming media industry in the 1990s. But MaskCheck grew out of the companys work on facial recognition technology, which is just a wee bit more controversial than webcasting and online music services.
Reza Rassool, RealNetworks chief technologist, emphasized that MaskChecks artificial intelligence isnt a facial recognition program. It does not identify people, it just detects the presence of a human face and the position of a mask, if one is being worn. If the person using the app chooses, though, it can estimate the age and gender of each person observed, and it can capture their images, Rassool said.
Texas Inc.: Get the best of business news sent directly to your inbox
Age and gender might be useful in helping policymakers get a demographic breakdown on mask compliance. But theres a trade-off to this utility; the more information the app captures and records, the more it raises the sort of surveillance-state hackles that facial recognition programs do.
The problem with mask mandates today is mainly a political one - a sense by many Americans that the government shouldnt have the power to force them to breathe filtered air. Despite estimates that universal mask use could save tens of thousands of lives, roughly half the population goes out in public without one, and theres little effort to force a change.
Its easy to imagine the app being deployed in more aggressive ways - for example, tied electronically to a door lock to prevent unmasked people from entering a building. But RealNetworks isnt going in that direction now. Its counting on its partnership with the COVID-19 International Research Team to spread the app organically to institutions, governments and businesses across the country in an effort to generate more mask wearing voluntarily.
Here is the original post:
- UC adopts recommendations for the responsible use of Artificial Intelligence - Preuss School Ucsd - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare? 'Don't focus solely on technology' - Innovation Origins - October 20th, 2021
- How Will Health Care Regulators Address Artificial Intelligence? - The Regulatory Review - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence to Boost the Global Wound Care Market by 2026 with Minimal Intervention Solutions - inForney.com - October 20th, 2021
- Global Artificial Intelligence Market Is Expected To Set A New Benchmark With A CAGR Of 40.2% By 2028 | Up Market Research - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions, Inc. Reports Revenue Increases of Over 400% Over Same Period Prior Year as Shown in 2nd Quarter SEC... - October 20th, 2021
- WVU Researchers Using Artificial Intelligence To Help Diagnose Those With Autism - West Virginia Public Broadcasting - October 20th, 2021
- Potential of Artificial Intelligence Replacing Animal Testing in the Future - Analytics Insight - October 20th, 2021
- Putting artificial intelligence at the heart of health care with help from MIT - MIT News - October 20th, 2021
- What is Artificial Intelligence as a Service (AIaaS)? | ITBE - IT Business Edge - October 20th, 2021
- Understanding the UK Artificial Intelligence commercialisation - GOV.UK - October 20th, 2021
- Beethoven's Unfinished 10th Symphony Brought to Life by Artificial Intelligence - Scientific American - October 20th, 2021
- The 5 articles you read in AI hell - The Next Web - October 20th, 2021
- Transactions in the Age of Artificial Intelligence: Risks and Considerations - JD Supra - October 20th, 2021
- SenseTime Co-hosts the 3rd International Artificial Intelligence Fair to Nurture AI Talent and Promote a Collaborative Education Ecosystem -... - October 20th, 2021
- Alation Acquires Artificial Intelligence Vendor Lyngo Analytics - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- AI in the courts - The Indian Express - July 12th, 2021
- Infrared cameras and artificial intelligence provide insight into boiling - MIT News - July 12th, 2021
- COVID: Artificial intelligence in the pandemic - DW (English) - July 12th, 2021
- The smart role of Artificial Intelligence in todays world - BL on Campus - July 12th, 2021
- Which companies are leading the way for artificial intelligence in the aerospace, defence & security sector? Companies leading the way for... - July 12th, 2021
- Navigating the Intersections of Data, Artificial Intelligence, and Privacy - JD Supra - July 12th, 2021
- Companies leading the way for artificial intelligence in the power sector - Power Technology - July 12th, 2021
- Military researchers ask for artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning able to share experiences - Military & Aerospace Electronics - July 12th, 2021
- The Evolution of the Judiciary in the Age of Technology | Artificial Intelligence and the Delivery of Justice - Lexology - July 12th, 2021
- Content management and Artificial Intelligence the future of ContentOps - ITProPortal - July 12th, 2021
- How artificial intelligence is propelling the energy transition forward - Innovation Origins - July 12th, 2021
- Astronomers use artificial intelligence to reveal the true shape of universe - WION - July 12th, 2021
- A History of Regular Expressions and Artificial Intelligence - kottke.org - kottke.org - July 12th, 2021
- Experimenting thoughtfully with artificial intelligence - Reuters - June 15th, 2021
- VisionQuest Uses Artificial Intelligence to Screen 40000 Patients for Diabetic Retinopathy - Business Wire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence for Rapid Exclusion of COVID-19 Infection - SciTechDaily - June 15th, 2021
- Researchers ask industry for military technologies in artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned aircraft - Military & Aerospace Electronics - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Uses of Artificial Intelligence to Improve Customer Experience Measurement - Small Business Trends - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the McData-fueled future of capitalism - The Next Web - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Types of Artificial Intelligence that will Shape 2021 and Beyond - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence will Transform Businesses in 2021? - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Research of Quantum Mechanics - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Global Wearable Medical Devices Markets Report 2021: Integrating Artificial Intelligence in the Wearable Medical Devices is Gaining Traction -... - June 15th, 2021
- Your Future May Lie With an Artificial Intelligence Certificate - The Future of Things - June 15th, 2021
- White House partners with NSF to stand up National AI Research Resource Task Force - Federal News Network - June 15th, 2021
- RGS welcomes Artificial Intelligence Innovator to training event - Attain News - June 15th, 2021
- An artificial-intelligence powered ETF has smashed the S&P 500 in the last month without any meme stocks - Markets Insider - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing the Future of Air Transportation - GW Today - June 15th, 2021
- Can We Learn Sperm Whale Language? Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Find Out - TheInertia.com - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Pharmaceutical market worth US$27156.1 Million in 2031. Visiongain Research Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- DoDs AI center striving to be connective tissue across all projects - Federal News Network - February 17th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence is Improving the Online Sports Betting Experience - MWWire - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Calastone implements Opsmatix Artificial Intelligence solution Improving client handling and efficiency within client operations - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - by Component, Technology, Process, Application, Vehicle Type, Demand Category,... - February 17th, 2021
- Liverpool scientists deploy Artificial Intelligence to develop model that predicts the next pandemic - Times Now - February 17th, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence May Not Offer The Business Value You Think - CMSWire - February 17th, 2021
- Needed: People To Put The Intelligence In Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence helps automation, but can't tell you where to put your money, Indexa CEO says - Business Insider - February 17th, 2021
- Excerpt: 'Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Power' by Rajiv Malhotra - Times of India - February 17th, 2021
- BYU lab works to improve artificial intelligence communication - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to monitor patients with chronic diseases and COVID-19 - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 17th, 2021
- Elon Musk Talks Auto Safety and Regulation of Artificial Intelligence with Joe Rogan - Corporate Crime Reporter - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2020-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - February 17th, 2021
- AI Definition & Meaning | What is Artificial Intelligence? - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Development Goals - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence can predict whether you will die from COVID-19 - Free Press Journal - February 7th, 2021
- Beyond the Unknown: Applications of Artificial intelligence In Space - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Two UWF teams place in top 5 in national artificial intelligence competition - University of West Florida Newsroom - UWF Newsroom - February 7th, 2021
- Bingo and AI: The changing relation between entertainment and artificial intelligence - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Off The Menu: Artificial intelligence lends hand in recipe development - MassLive.com - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence must not be allowed to replace the imperfection of human empathy - The Conversation UK - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the Gamestonk blowback - The Next Web - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Policing Is the Focus of Encode Justice - Teen Vogue - February 6th, 2021
- 'Artificial Intelligence' Integrated PET-CT launched at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad on the occasion of World Cancer Day 2021 - PR Newswire India - February 6th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Will Change The Way We Work Once We Get Back To The Office - Forbes - February 6th, 2021
- Chemistry and computer science join forces to apply artificial intelligence to chemical reactions - Princeton University - February 6th, 2021
- How to Build a Modern Workplace with Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- Morality Poses the Biggest Risk to Military Integration of Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - February 6th, 2021
- Canon Medical expands reach of its MRI artificial intelligence programs - FierceBiotech - February 6th, 2021