Congratulations to the University of Florida andNVIDIAfor their announcement today of a transformational partnership to create higher educations most powerful AI supercomputer and develop a workforce training program that will jumpstart the next generation of discovery and innovation. This initiative will empower students and arm them with new tools to succeed in the 21stcentury economy. The University of Florida is a top-tier public research university, and I commendNVIDIAfor using this opportunity to form this public-private partnership that will exponentially leverage the prior and current investments by the state and federal government in our research at institutions of higher education.
The University of Florida today announced a public-private partnership with NVIDIA that will catapult UFs research strength to address some of the worlds most formidable challenges, create unprecedented access to AI training and tools for underrepresented communities, and build momentum for transforming the future of the workforce.
The initiative is anchored by a $50 million gift -- $25 million from UF alumnus Chris Malachowsky and $25 million in hardware, software, training and services from NVIDIA, the Silicon Valley-based technology company he cofounded and a world leader in AI and accelerated computing.
Along with an additional $20 million investment from UF, the initiative will create an AI-centric data center that houses the worlds fastest AI supercomputer in higher education. Working closely with NVIDIA, UF will boost the capabilities of its existing supercomputer, HiPerGator, with the recently announced NVIDIA DGX SuperPOD architecture. This will give faculty and students within and beyond UF the tools to apply AI across a multitude of areas to improve lives, bolster industry, and create economic growth across the state.
This incredible gift from Chris and NVIDIA will propel the state of Florida to new heights as it strives to be an economic powerhouse, an unrivaled leader in job creation and an international model of 21st-century know-how, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said. Over the coming years, tens of thousands of University of Florida graduates with this unique AI-oriented background will create their futures and ours, transforming our workforce and virtually every field and every industry here in Florida and around the world.
With AI holding the potential to revolutionize education and research and indeed every sector of society the University of Florida will work to ensure diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the center of this transformational change. Were thrilledUF is demonstrating such national leadership and placing community engagement and training a 21st Century workforce at the heart of its mission.
"DOE's Artificial Intelligence & Technology Office is ready to partner to accelerate the development of UFs AI curricula and eager to seek UF and NVIDIA expertise on how to advance our own workforce training.
The University of Florida has been at the forefront of these efforts. Its partnership with NVIDIA to develop the HiPerGator3 supercomputer, the most powerful AI machine in US higher education,is a strong symbol of UFs commitment to AI and the growing role it needs to play in how we learn.
The goals UF has set to infuse the entire curriculum with AI training and educational opportunities is an example all universities should aspire to follow. It demonstrates that the University of Florida and NVIDIA understand the depth and the breadth of AIs impact as the demand for AI-literate workers will extend well beyond the tech sector.
As the Co-Chairs of the House AI Caucus, we applaud this new, comprehensive AI program. The initiative includeskey componentsof AI development: computing power, data, talent, and partnerships. We are also pleased to see the focus on equitable access to AI. Executing on this program will mean students at schools across the state and nation including K-12, state and local schools, HBCUs, and HSIs wont be left behind in the AI-driven future. The U.S. must continue to invest in AI, and efforts such as this can help light the way.
UFs National AI Leadership
The partnership will be central to UFs vision to be a national leader in the application of AI, including an expansive plan to elevate its reach and impact in research, teaching, and economic development. It provides a replicable framework for future public-private cooperation, and a model for addressing societys grand challenges through interdisciplinary collaboration. By deploying AI across the curriculum, this powerful resource will address major challenges such as rising seas, aging populations, data security, personalized medicine, urban transportation and food insecurity.
UFs leadership has a bold vision for making artificial intelligence accessible across its campus, said Malachowsky, who serves as an NVIDIA Fellow. What really got NVIDIA and me excited was partnering with UF to go broader still, and make AI available to K-12 students, state and community colleges, and businesses. This will help address underrepresented communities and sectors across the region where the technology will have a profound positive effect.
Extensive Collaboration with NVIDIA
NVIDIAs technology powers two-thirds of the worlds 500 fastest supercomputers, including eight of the top 10. The third-generation HiPerGator will have access to NVIDIAs most advanced AI software and integrate 140 NVIDIA DGX A100 systems with 1,120 NVIDIA A100 Tensor Core GPUs and high-performance NVIDIA Mellanox HDR 200Gb/s InfiniBand networking to deliver 700 petaflops of AI performance.
Artificial intelligence is the most powerful technology force of our time, said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. Fueled by data and machine learning, AI is advancing at an exponential pace, impacting every industry from healthcare to transportation to the sciences. Through their generosity and vision, Chris and UF are providing a mighty foundation for students and faculty to harness this technology and drive discovery.
UF is the first institution of higher learning in the U.S. to receive DGX A100 systems, which are designed to accelerate diverse workloads, including AI training, inference, and data analytics.
NVIDIA will also contribute its AI expertise to UF through ongoing support and collaboration across the following initiatives:
As the grand challenges that the scientific and engineering communities face become more complex, the need for artificial intelligence and machine learning to both advance scientific knowledge and manage an increasingly complex technological environment becomes more important. The University of Floridas new supercomputing facility is an important addition to the AI ecosystem and will provide academic researchers with much needed access to computing power that can advance artificial intelligence far into the future.
Unlike traditional high-performance computing systems, this academic supercomputer is specialized to leverage AI simulation and inference, which are important tools in accelerating research areas including drug discovery, astrophysics, and natural hazards modeling. By partnering with NVIDIA, the University of Florida is able to leverage this state-of-the-art technology and use it to enhance the education and training of the next generation of researchers, technicians, and leaders.
This partnership can and should serve as a model of how universities, industry, and government can combine their respective strengths for the benefit of all. This will be vitally important in strengthening the U.S. supercomputing ecosystem, and by extension, U.S. economic competitiveness"
Computing power is at the heart of Artificial Intelligence, and this investment in the fastest AI supercomputer in academia will ensure that the U.S. stays on the cutting edge of research and development. This system, combined with investments in curriculum and critical national, state, and local partnerships, is a model for building an AI economy for all Americans. As the Chair of the Congressional Semiconductor Caucus, Im glad that American semiconductor companies like NVIDIA are leading the charge.
With Director Panchanathan now at the helm of the National Science Foundation, I look forward to seeing his vision for bringing AI supercomputing to other research centers such as the TACC in Austin, Texas.
Integrated AI Curriculum, Intelligent-Decision Support, Equitable Access
As a comprehensive institution, UF has a goal of bringing together students and faculty from across campusand across the state. It will be among the nations first to integrate AI across all disciplines and make it a ubiquitous part of its academic enterprise. It will offer certificates and degree programs in AI and data science, with curriculum modules for specific technical and industry-focused domains. The initiative includes a commitment from UF to hire 100 more faculty members focused on AI. They will join 500 new faculty recently added across disciplines -- many of whom will weave AI into their teaching and research.
More than ever before in my lifetime, people around the country and the globe are looking to universities to expand access to higher education and technology and to level the field of opportunity for all, UF President Kent Fuchs said. UF intends to meet that challenge, and this partnership will help us do it.
Within UF Health, UFs robust academic health center, AI systems are being deployed to monitor patient conditions in real time, making it the first health system to use deep-learning technology to generate patient viability data. Through a novel system known as DeepSOFA, Dr. Azra Bihorac and her team use AI systems to collect and organize a patients medical data so that doctors can make better-informed decisions. DeepSOFA is but one example of how AI technology will be put to use to bolster research and improve patient care at UF Health.
To ensure no community is left behind, UF plans to promote wide accessibility to these computing capabilities and work with other institutions to develop a talent pipeline able to harness the power of AI through several initiatives. These include:
This initiative will allow us to recruit and equip a diverse, talented cadre of faculty and students across multiple disciplines and bring them together with colleagues from government and the private sector to find solutions to our most important problems, said Dr. Cammy Abernathy, dean of UFs Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering.
University officials expect todays announcement will spark additional excitement among others who have significant resources and abilities related to AI, and reaffirmed their commitment to serve as a catalyst for those who wish to step up and join in this amazing adventure.
Steve Orlando July 21, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Government: Global Markets 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 31st, 2020
- Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data - FDA.gov - August 31st, 2020
- Supercharge vegetation management and outage prediction with artificial intelligence - Utility Dive - August 31st, 2020
- Automation, artificial intelligence to be central in the post-Covid world - Economic Times - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Next Top Gun - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Defense Innovation Unit Teaching Artificial Intelligence to Detect Cancer - Department of Defense - August 31st, 2020
- Toward a machine learning model that can reason about everyday actions - MIT News - August 31st, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is changing the way we search and find online - ITProPortal - August 31st, 2020
- TikTok Assets Cant Be Sold Without Chinas Approval - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Oil and Gas Market Global Size, Growth and Demand 2020 to 2030 - The News Brok - August 31st, 2020
- Rage Against the Algorithm: the Risks of Overestimating Military Artificial Intelligence - Chatham House - August 31st, 2020
- U of I to lead two of seven new national artificial intelligence institutes - University of Illinois News - August 31st, 2020
- Holocaust survivors will be able to share their stories after death thanks to a new project - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 31st, 2020
- Funding boost for artificial intelligence in NHS to speed up diagnosis of deadly diseases - GOV.UK - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies 80,000 Spiral Galaxies Promises More Astronomical Discoveries in the Future - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- Is Artificial intelligence the Future of IT Help Desk? - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Experts Are Divided Over Future Of Artificial Intelligence But Agree On Its Growing Impact - Outlook India - August 10th, 2020
- "Artificial Intelligence Will Make Medicine Better in the Long Run" - Biophotonics.World - August 10th, 2020
- How machine learning and artificial intelligence can drive clinical innovation - PharmaLive - August 10th, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Investments in July 2020 - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Job interviews: Recruiters are using artificial intelligence to analyse what you say to find the right hire - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- The next frontier of human-robot relationships is building trust - Scroll.in - August 8th, 2020
- Game-Changing Artificial Intelligence Solution by PhotoShelter to Revolutionize Social Media Workflow as Premier Lacrosse League Returns to the Field... - August 8th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Helping to Fight against Coronavirus in India? - Analytics Insight - August 8th, 2020
- BLOG: How to capitalise on the Artificial Intelligence theme - Your Money - Your Money - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Its Partners - Modern Diplomacy - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence isnt destroying jobs, its making them more inclusive - The Globe and Mail - August 8th, 2020
- RadNet and Hologic Announce Collaboration to Advance the Development of Artificial Intelligence Tools in Breast Health - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 48% Through 2020-2024|Growing Adoption of... - August 7th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Business: The New Normal in Testing Times - Analytics Insight - August 7th, 2020
- VIEW: Digitisation in pathology and the promise of artificial intelligence - CNBCTV18 - August 7th, 2020
- What It Means to Be Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence - Medium - August 7th, 2020
- Not so Artificial Intelligence When is AI really AI? - EFTM - August 3rd, 2020
- IMD to explore artificial intelligence to improve forecasting, predict extreme weather events - Firstpost - August 3rd, 2020
- Examples of Failure in Artificial Intelligence - ReadWrite - August 3rd, 2020
- IMD plans to use artificial intelligence in weather forecasting - The Financial Express - August 3rd, 2020
- MLOps: What You Need To Know - Forbes - August 3rd, 2020
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Artificial Intelligence job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 215559 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 3rd, 2020
- How do CEO's Succeed with Artificial Intelligence at their Workplace? - Analytics Insight - August 3rd, 2020
- The future of Artificial Intelligence and what it means to the Enterprise? - Analytics Insight - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence helps lead decisions over Intelligent automation and - 401kTV - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and civil liability. Who pays the damages? - Lexology - August 3rd, 2020
- The AI-boost: Using more artificial intelligence will boost GDP growth - The Financial Express - August 3rd, 2020
- $19.9B Artificial Intelligence in Retail Industry, 2027 - Rising Focus on Blockchain and Adoption of 5G Technology - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Loses Some Of Its Edginess, But Is Poised To Take Off - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is transforming the world in the current pandemic situation? - Geospatial World - July 31st, 2020
- The NBA will use artificial intelligence and a tap-to-cheer app feature to help fans stuck at home get in the game - CNN - July 31st, 2020
- Different Scopes Of Artificial Intelligence To Dive In With! - Inventiva - July 31st, 2020
- Gatling Exploration to use artificial intelligence to identify possible gold targets at the Larder project in Ontario - Proactive Investors USA &... - July 31st, 2020
- Elon Musk Thinks that Artificial Intelligence Will Be 'Vastly Smarter' Than Humans in 5 Years - News18 - July 31st, 2020
- Church body recommends restrictions on Artificial Intelligence - The Tablet - July 31st, 2020
- How the Coronavirus Pandemic Is Breaking Artificial Intelligence and How to Fix It - Gizmodo - July 31st, 2020
- Using artificial intelligence to smell the roses - UC Riverside - July 30th, 2020
- Shield AI Recognized As One of the Most Promising Artificial Intelligence Companies - PR Web - July 30th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence needs an update on ethics to be able to help humanity in times of crisis - Economic Times - July 30th, 2020
- Reshaping Artificial Intelligence with the Help of Affordances - Analytics Insight - July 29th, 2020
- WISeKey to Showcase its Cybersecurity Solutions for Artificial Intelligence Used in Drones and Robots at SIDO 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- GPT-3: The Next Revolution in Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 28th, 2020
- FLY AI: the role of artificial intelligence in aviation - Airport Technology - July 28th, 2020
- Four university experts use Artificial Intelligence to discover that children don't like going to school on Mondays in Milton Keynes - Milton Keynes... - July 28th, 2020
- People are using artificial intelligence to help sort out their divorce. Would you? - The Conversation AU - July 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Hope 2020 Needs - Bloomberg - July 28th, 2020
- Top Five Data Privacy Issues that Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Startups Need to Know - insideBIGDATA - July 28th, 2020
- I Am a Model and I Know That Artificial Intelligence Will Eventually Take My Job - Vogue.com - July 28th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Manufacturing Market Worth $16.7 Billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Accounting Market is expected to grow from USD 884.99 Million in 2019 to USD 4,779.11 Million by the end of 2025... - July 28th, 2020
- Imint is the Swedish firm that gives Chinese smartphones an edge in video production - TechCrunch - July 26th, 2020
- UF students, get used to this topic: artificial intelligence - Tampa Bay Times - July 26th, 2020
- Odisha to use artificial intelligence in organisation audit in big way - The New Indian Express - July 26th, 2020
- Covid could have been AIs moment in sun. But it isnt as flexible as humans yet - ThePrint - July 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is the hope 2020 needs | Commentary | Seattle Times - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - July 26th, 2020
- Could this software help users trust machine learning decisions? - C4ISRNet - July 26th, 2020
- Exploring the edge cases of artificial intelligence in 2020 - TechHQ - July 26th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is being used for divorce and separations with apps like Amica, Adieu and Penda - Newcastle Herald - July 26th, 2020
- Tech Q&A: Artificial Intelligence Has Promise of Streamlining Hospital Processes, Diagnostic Tools - MedTech Intelligence - July 26th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence for Automotive Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Outlook with Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Express... - July 26th, 2020
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Analysis by Emerging Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth, Current Statistics, Brand Endorsements and... - July 26th, 2020
- Opinion: Artificial intelligence is the hope 2020 needs - Crain's Cleveland Business - July 26th, 2020
- AI in the Field of Transportation - a Review - AI Daily - July 26th, 2020
- Loop Insights and ImagineAR Sign MOU To Integrate Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Reality, Creating Real-Time Actionable Data For Brands To... - July 26th, 2020