An online app called Amica is now using artificial intelligence to help separating couples make parenting arrangements and divide their assets.
For many people, the coronavirus pandemic has put even the strongest of relationships to the test. A May survey conducted by Relationships Australia found 42% of 739 respondents experienced a negative change in their relationship with their partner under lockdown restrictions.
There has also been a surge in the number of couples seeking separation advice. The Australian government has backed the use of Amica for those in such circumstances. The chatbot uses artificial intelligence (AI) to make suggestions for how splitting couples can divide their money and property based on their circumstances.
But although such tools offer advantages such as convenience and reduced emotional distress, their applications remain limited. And over-relying on them could be a slippery slope.
Read more: Coronavirus: how the pandemic has exposed AIs limitations
According to Amicas website, it considers legal principles and applies them to your circumstances. In other words, the software draws on mass data (collected and embedded by its designers) from similar past cases to make suggestions to users.
Amica demonstrates AIs potential in solving legal problems in family disputes. Interestingly, its not the only tool of this kind in the legal field. There are a range of AI-powered family legal services used in Australia, including Penda and Adieu.
Penda aims to help victims of family violence by providing free legal and safety information. Its AI chatbot provides online legal advice and information without requiring a face-to-face meeting with a lawyer.
Adieu enables couples to achieve amicable financial and parenting agreements via its AI chatbot component Lumi, which can refer couples to mediators, counsellors, lawyers or financial advisers if required. Lumi also has a one-click disclosure tool designed to save time and money by using AI to analyse the financial records of both users.
Australias family law system is overburdened, resulting in long delays for families in the court system. Court proceedings are also expensive, and complex family law cases can cost each party more than A$200,000.
AI tools such as Amica and Adieu enable couples to resolve problems themselves and avoid the slow and expensive court process. This is especially true for couples who have commenced or are considering the separation process now, amid coronavirus restrictions.
Our evaluation of Adieu involved reviewing literature on justice apps and interviewing professionals including mediators, lawyers and financial advisers. We also surveyed 37 Adieu users to find out who would use such an app and how comfortable people were with them.
We found by giving couples dominion over the separation process, they were less likely to be emotionally stressed. Although our survey sample was relatively small, 76% of participants reported not feeling emotional distress. Of those who did, most said this was the result of existing circumstances.
One participant said:
Im pretty new to apps but am learning. Theyre not so bad, but dont really replace people. On the plus side, theyre neutral and dont judge you!
Despite a number of advantages, AI tools for settling legal disputes (much like many other AI tools) come with setbacks.
For instance, theyre not helpful in many cases. Amicas designers highlight the platform is only suitable for amicable separating couples with no complex situations involved, such as family violence. This is because at its current development level, AI-powered chatbots can only generate a relatively simple response from the information theyre given.
According to a 2016 survey by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, around 5.8 million Australians had experienced physical or emotional abuse from a partner.
Read more: Does your AI discriminate?
Further, Australian courts are required to consider each childs best interests when deciding on a family case. There are legitimate concerns that parenting and financial suggestions from AI-powered tools may ignore the needs of children, and only reflect the interests of parents.
There are also concerns around the use of AI in legal family cases more generally. For example, access to online platforms requires a certain amount of digital literacy and accessibility.
This disadvantages people without access to the internet, a smartphone or computer. Also, people may not have the technological skills needed to use apps such as Amica or Adieu.
Apart from family disputes, AI has also been controversially used in criminal cases for sentencing purpose. The COMPAS tool has come under fire on numerous occasions for its use in the US. Its risk assessment algorithms supposedly predict how likely a criminal is to reoffend.
Australias robodebt saga also showed how AI can contribute to problematic administrative decision making. In that debacle, welfare payments made on the basis of self-reported fortnightly income were cross-referenced against an estimated income, taken as an average of annual earnings reported to the Australian Tax Office. This was then used to auto-generate debt notices without human checks.
Read more: From robodebt to racism: what can go wrong when governments let algorithms make the decisions
Its clear AI comes with the potential for embedded bias. As the use of AI-powered technology continues for matters traditionally handled in the courts, a government strategy such as the European Commissions AI White Paper is needed to address the general challenges.
Along with this, an ethical framework with input from Australias legal industry should underpin AI use in the legal sector.
The rest is here:
- A crewless boat is recreating the Mayflower's 400-year-old journey, with the help of artificial intelligence - CBS News - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Is It All Just Costly Hype? - Dice Insights - December 26th, 2020
- 7 Types of Artificial Intelligence: Propelling the Technology Development - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence will go mainstream in 2021 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 26th, 2020
- Top 7 Amazing Artificial Intelligence Applications that Are Unfamiliar - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- NASCAR Team up with the World Poker Tour while Artificial Intelligence Breaks New Barriers - HighstakesDB - December 26th, 2020
- Youve heard of Elf on the Shelf; in New Haven theres elf with artificial intelligence - New Haven Register - December 26th, 2020
- How is Artificial Intelligence Transforming the lives of People with Disabilities? - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- How Bad Is Your Spotify? There's Artificial Intelligence to Judge Your Taste - Distractify - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence measure included in must-pass government funding deal - Homeland Preparedness News - December 26th, 2020
- PetrSU joined the fight for leadership in the field of artificial intelligence applications in Russia and in the world - India Education Diary - December 26th, 2020
- Why not enlist the help of artificial intelligence to nudge people to mask up? - Houston Chronicle - December 22nd, 2020
- Congress wants an inventory of all AI projects at the Pentagon - C4ISRNet - December 22nd, 2020
- The influence of artificial intelligence on the banking industry - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - December 22nd, 2020
- Application of artificial intelligence in the field of treatment and medicine - Tehran Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The 2021 AI 50 List Are Open - Forbes - December 22nd, 2020
- Delivering Proactive Mental Healthcare With Artificial Intelligence - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is intertwined in precision agriculture - AGDAILY - December 22nd, 2020
- Spin Announces Cutting Edge On-Vehicle Artificial Intelligence (AI) Platform To Bring Sidewalk Riding and Parking Detection Technology to Cities... - December 22nd, 2020
- UC convenes Artificial Intelligence Working Group to harness innovative technology, establish guardrails for equitable and ethical use - University of... - December 22nd, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Research Report by Technology, by Process, by Offerings, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence, Contactless Solutions Set to Provide Safety Protocols to Enable Reopening of Live Events in 2021 - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Employing artificial intelligence to spot infrastructure issues - Construction Dive - December 22nd, 2020
- CPPI and HSDF Release Report from Virtual Symposium: Artificial Intelligence: Transforming the Government Mission - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Top 10 AI and machine learning stories of 2020 - Healthcare IT News - December 17th, 2020
- The 8 Best Books About Artificial Intelligence to Read Now - WIRED - December 17th, 2020
- KODA AUTO wins Pioneer Award for its use of artificial intelligence and Sound Analyser app - Automotive World - December 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligences Are Power Hungry, But Not How You Think - Nextgov - December 17th, 2020
- Now is the time to ensure artificial intelligence works for Europeans - EU News - December 17th, 2020
- Currux Vision LLC Announces Industry Leading Accuracy of Artificial Intelligence Smart City Traffic Platform Testing with the City of San Jos - PR Web - December 17th, 2020
- Leveraging artificial intelligence to reach fathers and support child nutrition in India during COVID-19 - World Bank Group - December 17th, 2020
- How artificial intelligence helped me overcome my dyslexia - The Guardian - December 17th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Advances Showcased at the Virtual 2020 AACC Annual Scientific Meeting Could Help to Integrate This Technology Into Everyday... - December 17th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Supply Chain Management Market was Valued at US$ 1549.5 Mn in 2019 Growing at a CAGR of 25.12% over the Forecast... - December 17th, 2020
- Are AI and job automation good for society? Globally, views are mixed - Pew Research Center - December 17th, 2020
- Landmark artificial intelligence legislation advances toward becoming law Defense bill awaits possible presidential veto and Congressional override;... - December 17th, 2020
- The Next Generation Of Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - October 16th, 2020
- St. Louis Is Grappling With Artificial Intelligence's Promise And Potential Peril - St. Louis Public Radio - October 16th, 2020
- Looper column: Artificial intelligence, humanity and the future - SouthCoastToday.com - October 16th, 2020
- For artificial intelligence to flourish, governments need to think ahead about its responsible use - Firstpost - October 16th, 2020
- MediFind Selected as Finalist for Best in Artificial Intelligence in the Shorty Social Good Awards - The Wellsboro Gazette - October 16th, 2020
- The relentless threat of artificial intelligence taking our jobs away - Mint - October 16th, 2020
- Will artificial intelligence technology change the dairy industry - positivelyosceola.com - October 16th, 2020
- Penn Medicine researchers use artificial intelligence to identify early signs of Alzheimer's Disease - Express Computer - October 16th, 2020
- Futurism Reinforces Its Next-Gen Business Commerce Platform With Advanced Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Capabilities - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2020
- SparkCognition Advances the Science of Artificial Intelligence with 85 Patents - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2020
- Dont Be Afraid, BMW Promises To Keep Artificial Intelligence (AI) On A Tight Leash With These 7 Principles - CarScoops - October 16th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Government: Global Markets 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 31st, 2020
- Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data - FDA.gov - August 31st, 2020
- Supercharge vegetation management and outage prediction with artificial intelligence - Utility Dive - August 31st, 2020
- Automation, artificial intelligence to be central in the post-Covid world - Economic Times - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is the Next Top Gun - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Defense Innovation Unit Teaching Artificial Intelligence to Detect Cancer - Department of Defense - August 31st, 2020
- Toward a machine learning model that can reason about everyday actions - MIT News - August 31st, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is changing the way we search and find online - ITProPortal - August 31st, 2020
- TikTok Assets Cant Be Sold Without Chinas Approval - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Oil and Gas Market Global Size, Growth and Demand 2020 to 2030 - The News Brok - August 31st, 2020
- Rage Against the Algorithm: the Risks of Overestimating Military Artificial Intelligence - Chatham House - August 31st, 2020
- U of I to lead two of seven new national artificial intelligence institutes - University of Illinois News - August 31st, 2020
- Holocaust survivors will be able to share their stories after death thanks to a new project - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 31st, 2020
- Funding boost for artificial intelligence in NHS to speed up diagnosis of deadly diseases - GOV.UK - August 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies 80,000 Spiral Galaxies Promises More Astronomical Discoveries in the Future - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- Is Artificial intelligence the Future of IT Help Desk? - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Experts Are Divided Over Future Of Artificial Intelligence But Agree On Its Growing Impact - Outlook India - August 10th, 2020
- "Artificial Intelligence Will Make Medicine Better in the Long Run" - Biophotonics.World - August 10th, 2020
- How machine learning and artificial intelligence can drive clinical innovation - PharmaLive - August 10th, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Investments in July 2020 - Analytics Insight - August 10th, 2020
- Job interviews: Recruiters are using artificial intelligence to analyse what you say to find the right hire - TechRepublic - August 10th, 2020
- The next frontier of human-robot relationships is building trust - Scroll.in - August 8th, 2020
- Game-Changing Artificial Intelligence Solution by PhotoShelter to Revolutionize Social Media Workflow as Premier Lacrosse League Returns to the Field... - August 8th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence is Helping to Fight against Coronavirus in India? - Analytics Insight - August 8th, 2020
- BLOG: How to capitalise on the Artificial Intelligence theme - Your Money - Your Money - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence and Its Partners - Modern Diplomacy - August 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence isnt destroying jobs, its making them more inclusive - The Globe and Mail - August 8th, 2020
- RadNet and Hologic Announce Collaboration to Advance the Development of Artificial Intelligence Tools in Breast Health - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of Over 48% Through 2020-2024|Growing Adoption of... - August 7th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Business: The New Normal in Testing Times - Analytics Insight - August 7th, 2020
- VIEW: Digitisation in pathology and the promise of artificial intelligence - CNBCTV18 - August 7th, 2020
- What It Means to Be Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence - Medium - August 7th, 2020
- Not so Artificial Intelligence When is AI really AI? - EFTM - August 3rd, 2020