There has been good and bad news of AI in the year 2019. Of course, Bad News always get preference and catches peoples minds. Some of the popular bad news in AI has been related to Fake news Generation, Creating Porn fakes from Social Media images, Autonomous Vehicle killing a pedestrian, AI systems attacking a production facility, Data biases creating problems in AI applications. In the good news we have seen innovative Healthcare related applications being deployed in Hospitals, AI tools helping specially abled people, Robots being used in increasing set of domains, AI assistants and smart devices guiding people in day to day queries and chores. The speed of evolution, adoption and research in AI is accelerating. It will be important and essential for the society to know what lies ahead on the road so that we are prepared for the worst and hopeful for the best.
AI will come out of the Data Conundrum
Although one of the main drivers for the success story of AI in the last decade has been the availability of exponentially increasing data; now the data itself is becoming one of the key barriers in developing futuristic applications using AI. Advancements in the study of human intelligence also show that our species is very effective in adapting to unseen situations which contrasts with the current capabilities of AI.
In the past year, there has been a significant activity in AI research to tackle this issue. Specific progress has been made inReinforcement Learning Techniques that take care of the limitations of supervised learning methods requiring huge amount of data. Deep Minds recent achievement is on top of the success stories in this domain. The Star Craft-II system developed by them taking the throne of the Grandmaster is a game changer and an indicator of the tremendous progress and potential of this technology.Generating data through Simulation in past year and it will grow at a much faster pace in 2020
For many complex applications, it is almost impossible to have data of all variety related to different phenomenon of that problem. For example, Autonomous vehicles, Healthcare, Space research, Prediction of natural disasters, Video Generation are some of the areas where high quality simulation data will be much more effective. In most of these cases real historical data will be too limited to predict new situations that can occur in the future. E.g. Space research is coming out with new inventions every day and nullifying old assumptions; in such a scenario, any AI application using historical data is bound to fail. However, Simulations of new possibilities with high precision software applications can alter the direction of AI applications in these domains.
Even in the cases where the applications are starving for additional training with local data; Public and Private organizations are coming forward to share and collaborate for data requirements. The Leaders are becoming more conversant with the requirements of AI and the mindset is changing.
All these factors combined will have a dramatic effect in 2020 and will bring the dependency of AI on data to a lower level. AI will come out of the Data Cage.
Machine Generated Content with Artificial Intelligence takes over Crowd Intelligence
We have seen the prototypes and demonstrations of content generating Robots in the form of user reviews, news stories, Celebrity images, Funny Videos, Music Compositions, Short stories and Artistic paintings. This is going to become sophisticated with the advancement in self-Supervised learning led by NVIDIA, Google and Microsoft; which are pushing the boundaries to new frontiers.Most popular Online Retail stores, Food Portals, Hotel & Travel aggregators etc. are based on customer reviews. Till now, these were written by real customers and real humans. Most of us were putting our faith in the crowd and take their reviews at face value. This has become a key component in driving new sales in different business segments. So, we were relying on crowd intelligence. But with these new content generation Robots all such businesses will be flooded with AI generated reviews and it will be very easy to fool the Customer.
Another Critical area is the opinion formation regarding various news, events and issues concerning the society. Social media, online campaigns, Messaging through different mobile apps has become a key resource to build the public sentiment on important issues. This is another area which is facing an immediate danger of Artificial machines taking over human beings to form opinion.Next year this trend will consolidate and there will be a visible effect on democratic Governments. AI may become a key driver and a primary campaigner for elections. Those organizations, Individuals or parties having AI supremacy will be able to win the elections and drive the world.
The world will speak and understand one Language: The Language of AI
With the tremendous success and improvements brought by BERT and GPT-2, the Language translation is coming of age. People talking to anyone outside their community will be talking through Language of AI Middleware. In 2019, we have already seen devices which can help you converse with people speaking other languages. The offerings are going to become more qualitative and inclusive. More and more languages are being added with an amazing pace in such conversational devices. Impact of such technologies coming in mass usage will result in plethora of applications being developed resulting in great impact on business and society. Movement of people, skills and knowledge across borders with different language speakers will become more common. This will also bring transformation in the cinema, performing arts and travel industries. This phenomenon will also affect Higher education sector and affect different countries in diverse ways. It can prove to be an economic bonanza, or a disaster based on the way the countries plan and embrace the changes. Proactive leadership that understands the future impacts of these technologies will be crucial to bring a considered transition of society and happy future of these countries.
AI Boost for the powerful and AI poison for the under-privileged Groups
AI is working in the same way for the powerful as Industrialization and Digitalization. People with resources are deploying and utilizing new age technologies to their advantage. They have resources to invest in new applications and become first adopters of technology. The power of Artificial Intelligence is being combined to optimize Manufacturing and Energy Production. It is also being used to increase the efficiency of distribution networks, delivery chain, connectivity. Every big business is at progressing to further increase the AI adoption including Airlines, Shipping Corporations, Mining Companies and Infrastructure Conglomerates. Eventually AI is further intensifying the divide between the haves and have-nots. Common people are becoming pawns in the hands of AI applications. Their privacy is under attack. As the cost of labor is devalued due to automation and new technologies, the wealth will be owned by a tiny percentage of the people in the world.
Genuine Voices, Groups and organizations should strive for development of Technology with a Human face. Already, the UN and other groups are working for Sustainable development Goals. Now, it is time that a proper framework is put in place involving all stakeholders so that the pace and direction of technology remains under the control of humanity. It will involve developing comprehensive moral, ethical, legal and societal ecosystems governing the use, development and deployment of AI tools, technologies and applications.
Crazy increase in Defense Budgets for AI enabled Weaponization
Few countries in the World are already in the advanced stages of developing Lethal Autonomous Warfare Systems. Sea Hunter, An Autonomous Unmanned Surface Vehicle for Anti-submarine Warfare is already operational. China is in the final stages of deploying army of Micro Swarm Drone Systems which can launch suicidal incognito attacks on adversary infrastructure. Other Permanent Members of the Security Council are working on Holistic Warfare Systems which are fully integrated with other functions of the Government. With complex set of adversaries in place, Israel is working to use AI as a force multiplier and to take fast decisions in the prevailing nebulosity of hybridity. AI also helps greatly in asymmetric warfare.
AI has unlimited potential to launch Cybersecurity attacks of complex nature which will require adversaries to have superior AI capabilities to counter. As major Financial systems of the world are online including banks and stock markets, they may become easy targets of Future AI systems for blackmailing and threatening Govts.In recent years we have seen significant increase in AI related defense budgets to help AI enabled weaponization. This is going to further accelerate in the coming year(s). Precision attack on individuals, distribution and infrastructure networks of the countries will be enhanced by AI. We have already seen a precision attack powered by US and Israeli Cooperation in Iraq, which resulted in killing of Irans Top Commander.
With all these trends in pipeline it will be vital for the organizations, Countries and the world to set their AI strategy in place. To have competent people who are expert in AI will be indispensable and essential for the survival in this new decade. We will need people who understand both the human and machine operated ecosystems and can make emotionally sound judgements which are in the benefit of humanity.
DISCLAIMER : Views expressed above are the author's own.
Read the original post:
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - March 28th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - March 28th, 2020
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - March 28th, 2020
- Return On Artificial Intelligence: The Challenge And The Opportunity - Forbes - March 28th, 2020
- VA Looking to Expand Usage of Artificial Intelligence Data - GovernmentCIO Media - March 28th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Market - Premium Insight, Competitive News Feed Analysis, Company Usability Profiles, Market Sizing &... - March 28th, 2020
- The Global Artificial Intelligence in Aviation Market is expected to grow from USD 214.36 Million in 2018 to USD 1,824.46 Million by the end of 2025... - March 28th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to disease prevention? - The Burn-In - March 28th, 2020
- Why transparency is key to promoting trust in artificial intelligence - IT PRO - March 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Spain to use artificial intelligence to automate testing - ComputerWeekly.com - March 28th, 2020
- Bridging the gaps: joining human and artificial intelligence | Technology - Business Chief Canada - March 28th, 2020
- DIAGNOS Will Utilize its Artificial Intelligence Medical Platform FLAIRE in Response to the US White House - Call to Action to Analyse and Transform... - March 26th, 2020
- LiveMD Global Telehealth Platform launches artificial intelligence tracking and triaging tools to help combat COVID-19 (CoronaVirus) Pandemic -... - March 26th, 2020
- New Research from Newark Reveals Strong Adoption of Artificial Intelligence within the Internet of Things Ecosystem - Embedded Computing Design - March 26th, 2020
- AI vs COVID-19: Here are the AI tools and services fighting coronavirus - AI News - March 26th, 2020
- Stanford virtual conference to focus on COVID19 and artificial intelligence | Stanford News - Stanford University News - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the energy sector: opportunities and challenges - WhaTech - March 26th, 2020
- 31 Companies, Products and People making Artificial Intelligence a Reality in 2020 - PR Web - March 26th, 2020
- KT zu Guttenberg, Artificial Intelligence and You - theTrumpet.com - March 26th, 2020
- BrainChip and Socionext Provide a New Low-Power Artificial Intelligence Platform for AI Edge Applications - Design and Reuse - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Chipsets Market report reviews overview with demographic data and industry growth trends by 2025 - WhaTech Technology and... - March 26th, 2020
- Richmond-based Blue Heron Capital invests in company that uses artificial intelligence to improve lung disease monitoring - Richmond.com - March 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Becoming the Future of Investment Platforms - EnterpriseTalk - March 19th, 2020
- Is Your Company Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The Forbes 2020 AI 50 List Are Now Open - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- On the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Genomics to Enhance Precisio | PGPM - Dove Medical Press - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence myths: Reality check - Livemint - March 19th, 2020
- Battery Researchers Look to Artificial Intelligence to Slash Recharging Times - Greentech Media News - March 19th, 2020
- The Army Will Soon Be Able to Command Robot Tanks With Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - March 19th, 2020
- Canon Medical's 3T MR System Receives FDA Clearance for Artificial Intelligence-Based Image Reconstruction Technology - BioSpace - March 19th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How Artificial Intelligence, Data Science And Technology Is Used To Fight The Pandemic - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence: The new power dynamic of today - Daily Sabah - March 19th, 2020
- Rethinking Financial Services with Artificial Intelligence Tools - The Financial Brand - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence recruited to find clues about Covid-19 - The Star Online - March 19th, 2020
- IIT-M to reskill women in artificial intelligence - Campus Varta - March 19th, 2020
- San Diego-Based Company takes Digital Marketing to the next Level by Launching the First Artificial Intelligence Marketing Agency in the United States... - March 19th, 2020
- An Unexpected Ally in the War With Bacteria - The Atlantic - March 19th, 2020
- Compliance For A Digital World: BSA/AML The New ABC's: Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain And How Each Complements The Other - JD Supra - March 19th, 2020
- The next step in digital transformation: is Artificial Intelligence production-ready for green sand foundries? - Foundry-Planet.com - March 19th, 2020
- Insights into the North America Artificial Intelligence in Fashion Market to 2027 - Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Trends -... - March 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence by CWI and Amsterdam UMC proposes the best radiation treatment plans in clinical practice for the first time - Centrum... - March 19th, 2020
- H2O.ai Named to the 2020 CB Insights AI 100 List of Most Innovative Artificial Intelligence Startups - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- 'There's No Story That Stays Stable for Too Long.' How Artists Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Confront Modern Anxieties - TIME - March 4th, 2020
- Minister declares creation of artificial intelligence centres in Poland - The First News - March 4th, 2020
- Dont forget to consider GDPR when using artificial intelligence in the workplace - ComputerWeekly.com - March 4th, 2020
- Iktos and SRI International Announce Collaboration to Combine Artificial Intelligence and Novel Automated Discovery Platform for Accelerated... - March 4th, 2020
- Why we need to adapt existing EU laws to Artificial Intelligence - European Public Health Alliance - March 4th, 2020
- How a Portland nonprofit is using artificial intelligence to help save whales, giraffes, zebras - Seattle Times - March 4th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Infused with Big Data Creating a Tech-driven World - EnterpriseTalk - March 4th, 2020
- Gaming with Artificial Intelligence Technology in 2020 - ReadWrite - March 4th, 2020
- Global Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud Based Solutions to Boost Market Growth | Technavio -... - March 4th, 2020
- WorldMarkets Continues With the Success of Its Trading Artificial Intelligence - Live Bitcoin News - March 4th, 2020
- Why Artificial Intelligence Will Never Beat the Stock Market - Traders Magazine - March 4th, 2020
- Why Neuro-Symbolic Artificial Intelligence Is The AI Of The Future - Digital Trends - January 5th, 2020
- Welcome to the roaring 2020s, the artificial intelligence decade - GreenBiz - January 5th, 2020
- A reality check on artificial intelligence: Can it match the hype? - PhillyVoice.com - January 5th, 2020
- Can medical artificial intelligence live up to the hype? - Los Angeles Times - January 5th, 2020
- Illinois regulates artificial intelligence like HireVues used to analyze online job Interviews - Vox.com - January 5th, 2020
- How This Cofounder Created An Artificial Intelligence Styling Company To Help Consumers Shop - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Takes on Artificial Intelligence - JD Supra - January 5th, 2020
- Baidu looks to work with Indian institutions on AI - BusinessLine - January 5th, 2020
- Top Movies Of 2019 That Depicted Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Analytics India Magazine - January 5th, 2020
- Shocking ways AI technology will revolutionise every day industries in YOUR lifetime - Express.co.uk - January 5th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence takes scam to a whole new level - The Jackson Sun - January 5th, 2020
- Global Industrial Artificial Intelligence Market 2019 Research by Business Analysis, Growth Strategy and Industry Development to 2024 - Food &... - January 5th, 2020
- IIT Hyderabad to collaborate with Telangana government on artificial intelligence - India Today - January 5th, 2020
- THE AI IN TRANSPORTATION REPORT: How automakers can use artificial intelligence to cut costs, open new revenue - Business Insider India - January 5th, 2020
- Revisiting the rise of A.I.: How far has artificial intelligence come since 2010? - Digital Trends - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence is helping us talk to animals (yes, really) - Wired.co.uk - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Identifies Previously Unknown Features Associated with Cancer Recurrence - Imaging Technology News - December 30th, 2019
- AI IN BANKING: Artificial intelligence could be a near $450 billion opportunity for banks - here are the strat - Business Insider India - December 30th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Rushing Into Patient Care - And Could Raise Risks - Scientific American - December 30th, 2019
- Quantum leap: Why we first need to focus on the ethical challenges of artificial intelligence - Economic Times - December 30th, 2019
- In 2020, lets stop AI ethics-washing and actually do something - MIT Technology Review - December 30th, 2019
- The Power Of Purpose: How We Counter Hate Used Artificial Intelligence To Battle Hate Speech Online - Forbes - December 30th, 2019
- The skills needed to land the hottest tech job of 2020 - Business Insider Nordic - December 30th, 2019
- In the 2020s, human-level A.I. will arrive, and finally ace the Turing test - Inverse - December 30th, 2019
- Samsung to announce its Neon artificial intelligence project at CES 2020 - Firstpost - December 30th, 2019
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything - HowStuffWorks - December 26th, 2019
- Artificial intelligence jobs on the rise, along with everything else AI - ZDNet - December 26th, 2019
- Why Cognitive Technology May Be A Better Term Than Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - December 26th, 2019