There has been good and bad news of AI in the year 2019. Of course, Bad News always get preference and catches peoples minds. Some of the popular bad news in AI has been related to Fake news Generation, Creating Porn fakes from Social Media images, Autonomous Vehicle killing a pedestrian, AI systems attacking a production facility, Data biases creating problems in AI applications. In the good news we have seen innovative Healthcare related applications being deployed in Hospitals, AI tools helping specially abled people, Robots being used in increasing set of domains, AI assistants and smart devices guiding people in day to day queries and chores. The speed of evolution, adoption and research in AI is accelerating. It will be important and essential for the society to know what lies ahead on the road so that we are prepared for the worst and hopeful for the best.
AI will come out of the Data Conundrum
Although one of the main drivers for the success story of AI in the last decade has been the availability of exponentially increasing data; now the data itself is becoming one of the key barriers in developing futuristic applications using AI. Advancements in the study of human intelligence also show that our species is very effective in adapting to unseen situations which contrasts with the current capabilities of AI.
In the past year, there has been a significant activity in AI research to tackle this issue. Specific progress has been made inReinforcement Learning Techniques that take care of the limitations of supervised learning methods requiring huge amount of data. Deep Minds recent achievement is on top of the success stories in this domain. The Star Craft-II system developed by them taking the throne of the Grandmaster is a game changer and an indicator of the tremendous progress and potential of this technology.Generating data through Simulation in past year and it will grow at a much faster pace in 2020
For many complex applications, it is almost impossible to have data of all variety related to different phenomenon of that problem. For example, Autonomous vehicles, Healthcare, Space research, Prediction of natural disasters, Video Generation are some of the areas where high quality simulation data will be much more effective. In most of these cases real historical data will be too limited to predict new situations that can occur in the future. E.g. Space research is coming out with new inventions every day and nullifying old assumptions; in such a scenario, any AI application using historical data is bound to fail. However, Simulations of new possibilities with high precision software applications can alter the direction of AI applications in these domains.
Even in the cases where the applications are starving for additional training with local data; Public and Private organizations are coming forward to share and collaborate for data requirements. The Leaders are becoming more conversant with the requirements of AI and the mindset is changing.
All these factors combined will have a dramatic effect in 2020 and will bring the dependency of AI on data to a lower level. AI will come out of the Data Cage.
Machine Generated Content with Artificial Intelligence takes over Crowd Intelligence
We have seen the prototypes and demonstrations of content generating Robots in the form of user reviews, news stories, Celebrity images, Funny Videos, Music Compositions, Short stories and Artistic paintings. This is going to become sophisticated with the advancement in self-Supervised learning led by NVIDIA, Google and Microsoft; which are pushing the boundaries to new frontiers.Most popular Online Retail stores, Food Portals, Hotel & Travel aggregators etc. are based on customer reviews. Till now, these were written by real customers and real humans. Most of us were putting our faith in the crowd and take their reviews at face value. This has become a key component in driving new sales in different business segments. So, we were relying on crowd intelligence. But with these new content generation Robots all such businesses will be flooded with AI generated reviews and it will be very easy to fool the Customer.
Another Critical area is the opinion formation regarding various news, events and issues concerning the society. Social media, online campaigns, Messaging through different mobile apps has become a key resource to build the public sentiment on important issues. This is another area which is facing an immediate danger of Artificial machines taking over human beings to form opinion.Next year this trend will consolidate and there will be a visible effect on democratic Governments. AI may become a key driver and a primary campaigner for elections. Those organizations, Individuals or parties having AI supremacy will be able to win the elections and drive the world.
The world will speak and understand one Language: The Language of AI
With the tremendous success and improvements brought by BERT and GPT-2, the Language translation is coming of age. People talking to anyone outside their community will be talking through Language of AI Middleware. In 2019, we have already seen devices which can help you converse with people speaking other languages. The offerings are going to become more qualitative and inclusive. More and more languages are being added with an amazing pace in such conversational devices. Impact of such technologies coming in mass usage will result in plethora of applications being developed resulting in great impact on business and society. Movement of people, skills and knowledge across borders with different language speakers will become more common. This will also bring transformation in the cinema, performing arts and travel industries. This phenomenon will also affect Higher education sector and affect different countries in diverse ways. It can prove to be an economic bonanza, or a disaster based on the way the countries plan and embrace the changes. Proactive leadership that understands the future impacts of these technologies will be crucial to bring a considered transition of society and happy future of these countries.
AI Boost for the powerful and AI poison for the under-privileged Groups
AI is working in the same way for the powerful as Industrialization and Digitalization. People with resources are deploying and utilizing new age technologies to their advantage. They have resources to invest in new applications and become first adopters of technology. The power of Artificial Intelligence is being combined to optimize Manufacturing and Energy Production. It is also being used to increase the efficiency of distribution networks, delivery chain, connectivity. Every big business is at progressing to further increase the AI adoption including Airlines, Shipping Corporations, Mining Companies and Infrastructure Conglomerates. Eventually AI is further intensifying the divide between the haves and have-nots. Common people are becoming pawns in the hands of AI applications. Their privacy is under attack. As the cost of labor is devalued due to automation and new technologies, the wealth will be owned by a tiny percentage of the people in the world.
Genuine Voices, Groups and organizations should strive for development of Technology with a Human face. Already, the UN and other groups are working for Sustainable development Goals. Now, it is time that a proper framework is put in place involving all stakeholders so that the pace and direction of technology remains under the control of humanity. It will involve developing comprehensive moral, ethical, legal and societal ecosystems governing the use, development and deployment of AI tools, technologies and applications.
Crazy increase in Defense Budgets for AI enabled Weaponization
Few countries in the World are already in the advanced stages of developing Lethal Autonomous Warfare Systems. Sea Hunter, An Autonomous Unmanned Surface Vehicle for Anti-submarine Warfare is already operational. China is in the final stages of deploying army of Micro Swarm Drone Systems which can launch suicidal incognito attacks on adversary infrastructure. Other Permanent Members of the Security Council are working on Holistic Warfare Systems which are fully integrated with other functions of the Government. With complex set of adversaries in place, Israel is working to use AI as a force multiplier and to take fast decisions in the prevailing nebulosity of hybridity. AI also helps greatly in asymmetric warfare.
AI has unlimited potential to launch Cybersecurity attacks of complex nature which will require adversaries to have superior AI capabilities to counter. As major Financial systems of the world are online including banks and stock markets, they may become easy targets of Future AI systems for blackmailing and threatening Govts.In recent years we have seen significant increase in AI related defense budgets to help AI enabled weaponization. This is going to further accelerate in the coming year(s). Precision attack on individuals, distribution and infrastructure networks of the countries will be enhanced by AI. We have already seen a precision attack powered by US and Israeli Cooperation in Iraq, which resulted in killing of Irans Top Commander.
With all these trends in pipeline it will be vital for the organizations, Countries and the world to set their AI strategy in place. To have competent people who are expert in AI will be indispensable and essential for the survival in this new decade. We will need people who understand both the human and machine operated ecosystems and can make emotionally sound judgements which are in the benefit of humanity.
DISCLAIMER : Views expressed above are the author's own.
Read the original post:
- Break into artificial intelligence with this four-course ... - July 13th, 2020
- New Report from Corinium and FICO Signals Increased Demand for Artificial Intelligence in the Age of COVID-19 - PRNewswire - July 13th, 2020
- Burden of COVID-19 on the Market & Rehabilitation Plan | Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market in Manufacturing Industry 2019-2023 | The Increasing... - July 13th, 2020
- Where it Counts, U.S. Leads in Artificial Intelligence - Department of Defense - July 13th, 2020
- The path to real-world artificial intelligence - TechRepublic - July 13th, 2020
- Healthcare Artificial Intelligence Market Analysis Of Global Trends, Demand And Competition 2020-2028 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- The journey that organizations should embark on to realize the true potential of AI - The Indian Express - July 13th, 2020
- Commentary: Artificial intelligence and automation would actually benefit Singapore - CNA - July 13th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Innovations Induced Industrywide Advancements? - Analytics Insight - July 13th, 2020
- Break into artificial intelligence with this four-course online training for $35 - ZDNet - July 13th, 2020
- Integrating Artificial Intelligence in Treatment Planning - Imaging Technology News - July 13th, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Industry Market Trend Analysis and Major Factors Forecast Report till 2025 - CueReport - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Transportation Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence In Transportation Market 2020: Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Key Players, Growth Trends and Forecast Till 2025 - Apsters... - July 13th, 2020
- High Growth of Steady Explore Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Construction Market size, Growth analysis & forecast report to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 13th, 2020
- Enterprise Artificial Intelligence Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape,... - July 13th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Construction Market will drastically increase in the Future | brandessenceresearch.biz - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Top 12 Ways Artificial Intelligence Will Impact Healthcare - July 12th, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence to Address Criminal Justice ... - July 12th, 2020
- Augmented Intelligence is the New Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- MULTIMEDIA UPDATE - New Research Reveals Adoption and Implementation of Artificial Intelligence in the Enterprise - GlobeNewswire - July 12th, 2020
- trusted computing artificial intelligence (AI) information warfare - Military & Aerospace Electronics - July 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence will aid in better decision-making capacity - Livemint - July 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact & Recovery Analysis - Artificial Intelligence Platforms Market 2020-2024 | Rise in Demand for AI-based Solutions to Boost Growth |... - July 12th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Artificial Intelligence: How the pandemic has re-ignited a focus on the software - Savannah Morning News - July 12th, 2020
- Second plenary meeting of the Ad Hoc Committee on Artificial Intelligence (CAHAI) - Council of Europe - July 12th, 2020
- LI startup predicts where COVID-19 will spike - Newsday - July 12th, 2020
- How Innovation is Changing the Artificial Intelligence in Telecommunication Market - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- AI In Human Resources To AI or not to AI? - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- Ardigen Enters Into Research Collaboration With CVC to Apply Artificial Intelligence for Identification of T-cell Targets - PRNewswire - July 12th, 2020
- 'Make in India': Artificial Intelligence Company, AiBridge ML, Adds Handwriting and Image Recognition Capabilities to AiMunshi, the Popular Financial... - July 12th, 2020
- CORRECTION - OMNIQs Artificial Intelligence-Based Quest Shield Solution Selected by the Talmudical Academy of Baltimore - Financialbuzz.com - July 12th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Could Lead to Better Investment Decisions - Barron's - July 12th, 2020
- European Parliament names MEPs on artificial intelligence, cancer plan and foreign interference committees - Science Business - July 12th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: worth the hype? - BusinessCloud - July 12th, 2020
- The Amalgamation of Human Brain and Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 12th, 2020
- Latest Trends in the Field of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - July 11th, 2020
- The main beneficiaries of artificial intelligence success are IT departments themselves - ZDNet - July 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Market is Anticipated to Cross US$ 15 Billion By 2025 MRE Analysis - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- Charting the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Shipping - BBN Times - July 11th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Education System Market: Revenue Growth and Applications Insights till 2030 - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis | Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market In BFSI Sector 2019-2023 | Focus On Autonomous Banking to Boost Growth |... - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Powered COVID-19 Diagnosis Tool to Seek Lung Scan Images from India - The Weather Channel - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence should be used to augment human creativity - not replace it - Bizcommunity.com - July 8th, 2020
- Forums held ahead of World Artificial Intelligence Conference - Chinadaily USA - July 8th, 2020
- VeChain Is Attending the World Artificial Intelligence Conference 2020 Hosted - AiThority - July 8th, 2020
- ContractPodAi and Bowmans Partner to Bring Artificial Intelligence-Powered Contract Management to the African Market - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- How Machine Learning Will Impact the Future of Software Development and Testing - ReadWrite - July 8th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Definition - Investopedia - May 31st, 2020
- The Temptations Of Artificial Intelligence Technology And The Price Of Admission - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence offers a chance to optimize COVID-19 treatment in international partnership - Vanderbilt University News - May 31st, 2020
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 31st, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is hopelessly biased - and that's how it will stay - TechRadar India - May 31st, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 31st, 2020
- Art and artifice - The Indian Express - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence software improves accuracy, doubles speed in evaluating CT scans of advanced cancer - UAB News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 31st, 2020
- The Use of Artificial Intelligence by Investment Advisers: Considerations Based on an Advisers Fiduciary Duties - JD Supra - May 31st, 2020
- Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Infrastructures job with UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL | 208485 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 31st, 2020
- Walmart Employees Are Out to Show Its Anti-Shoplifting AI Doesn't Work - WIRED - May 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 31st, 2020
- IIT-Ropar and TSW Launch a PG Programme in Artificial Intelligence - THE WEEK - May 31st, 2020
- MS in Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence - May 19th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? | Azure Blog and Updates ... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are the Advantages of Artificial Intelligence ... - May 19th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - May 19th, 2020
- It's Called Artificial Intelligencebut What Is Intelligence? - WIRED - May 19th, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 19th, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence-based imaging reconstruction may lead to incorrect diagnoses, experts caution - Radiology Business - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Covid Frontline - Morningstar - May 19th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 19th, 2020