Policymakers around the world are developing guidelines for use of artificial intelligence in health care.
Baymax, the robotic health aide and unlikely hero from the movie Big Hero 6, is an adorable cartoon character, an outlandish vision of a high-tech future. But underlying Baymaxs character is the very realistic concept of an artificial intelligence (AI) system that can be applied to health care.
As AI technology advances, how will regulators encourage innovation while protecting patient safety?
AI does not have a precise definition, but the term generally describes machines that have the capacity to process and respond to stimulation in a manner similar to human thought processes. Many industriessuch as the military, academia, and health carerely on AI today.
For decades, health care professionals have used AI to increase efficiency and enhance the quality of patient care. For example, radiologists employ AI to identify signs of certain diseases in medical imaging. Tech companies are also partnering with health care providers to develop AI-based predictive models to increase the accuracy of diagnoses. A recent study applied AI to predict COVID-19 based on self-reported symptoms.
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and the rise of telemedicine, experts predict that AI technology will continue to be used to prevent and treat illness and will become more prevalent in the health care industry.
The use of AI in health care may improve patient care, but it also raises issues of data privacy and health equity. Although the health care sector is heavily regulated, no regulations target the use of AI in health care settings. Several countries and organizations, including the United States, have proposed regulations addressing the use of AI in health care, but no regulations have been adopted.
Even beyond the context of health care, policymakers have only begun to develop rules for the use of AI. Some existing data privacy laws and industry-specific regulations do apply to the use of AI, but no country has enacted AI-specific regulations. In January 2021, the European Union released its proposal for the first regulatory framework for the use of AI. The proposal establishes a procedure for new AI products entering the market and imposes heightened standards for applications of AI that are considered high risk.
The EUs suggested framework provides some examples of high-risk applications of AI that are related to health care such as the use of AI to triage emergency aid. Although the EUs proposal does not focus on the health care industry in particular, experts predict that the EU regulations will serve as a framework for future, more specific guidelines.
The EUs proposal strikes a balance between ensuring the safety and security of the AI market, while also continuing to promote innovation and investment in AI. These conflicting values also appear in U.S. proposals to address AI in health care. Both the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) more broadly have begun to develop guidelines on the use of AI in the health industry.
In 2019, FDA published a discussion paper outlining a proposed regulatory framework for modifications to AI-based software as a medical device (SaMD). FDA defines AI-based SaMD as software intended to treat, diagnose, cure, mitigate, or prevent disease. In the agencys discussion paper, FDA asserts its commitment to ensure that AI-based SaMD will deliver safe and effective software functionality that improves the quality of care that patients receive. FDA outlines the regulatory approval cycle for AI-based SaMD, which requires a holistic evaluation of the product and the maker of the product.
Earlier this year, FDA released an action plan for the regulation of AI-based SaMD that reaffirmed its commitment to encourage the development of AI best practices. HHS has also announced its strategy for the regulation of AI applied in health care settings. As with FDA and the EU, HHS balances the health and well-being of patients with the continued innovation of AI technology.
The United States is not alone in its attempt to monitor and govern the use of AI in health care. Countries such as China, Japan, and South Korea have also released guidelines and proposals seeking to ensure patient safety. In June 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) issued a report on the use of AI in health care and offered six guiding principles for AI regulation: protecting autonomy; promoting safety; ensuring transparency; fostering responsibility; ensuring equity; and promoting sustainable AI.
Scholars are also discussing the use of AI in health care. Some experts have urged policymakers to develop AI systems designed to advance health equity. Others warn that algorithmic bias and unequal data collection in AI can exacerbate existing health inequalities. Experts argue that, to mitigate the risk of discriminatory AI practices, policymakers should consider the unintended consequences of the use of AI.
For example, AI systems must be trained to recognize patterns in data, and the training data may reflect historical discrimination. One study showed that women are less likely to receive certain treatments than men even though they are more likely to need them. Similarly biased data would train an AI system to perpetuate this pattern of discrimination. Health care regulators must address the need to protect patients from potential inequalities without discouraging the development of life-saving innovation in AI.
As the use of AI becomes more prominent in health care, regulators in the United States and elsewhere find themselves considering more robust regulations to ensure quality of care.
See the original post:
- 193 countries adopt first-ever global agreement on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence - UN News - November 29th, 2021
- Seattle Researchers Claim to Have Built Artificial Intelligence That Has Morality - The Great Courses Daily News - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in oncology: current applications and future perspectives | British Journal of Cancer - Nature.com - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence may not actually be the solution for stopping the spread of fake news - The Conversation CA - November 29th, 2021
- Computer Conservation: Lily Xu Uses Artificial Intelligence To Stop Poaching Around the World - SciTechDaily - November 29th, 2021
- 6 positive AI visions for the future of work - World Economic Forum - November 29th, 2021
- Global AI (Artificial Intelligence) Market Report 2021: Ethical AI Practices and Advisory will be Incorporated in AI Technology Growth Strategy to... - November 29th, 2021
- Defining what's ethical in artificial intelligence needs input from Africans - The Conversation CA - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence reveals the secrets of the spider web - Digital Journal - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to count tens of thousands of puffins - The Scotsman - November 29th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and mobility, who's at the wheel? - Innovation Origins - November 29th, 2021
- [Webinar] Balancing Compliance with AI Solutions - How Artificial Intelligence Can Drive the Future of Work by Enabling Fair, Efficient, and Auditable... - November 29th, 2021
- Can artificial intelligence be harnessed to protect the public from random assailants? - The Japan Times - November 29th, 2021
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence Autonomous Killing Machines: What You Need to Know About Military AI - SOFREP - November 29th, 2021
- Top Artificial Intelligence Jobs in MNCs to Apply this Nov Weekend - Analytics Insight - November 29th, 2021
- Who Says AI Is Not For Women? Here Are 6 Women Leading AI Field In India - SheThePeople - November 29th, 2021
- Job hunting nightmare: 1,000 plus job applications and still no offers - ABC Action News - November 29th, 2021
- Staten Island Family Advocating For New Artificial Intelligence Program That Aims To Prevent Drug Overdoses - CBS New York - November 29th, 2021
- ITV Will Use Artificial Intelligence To Tailor Adverts For Its Viewers - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - November 29th, 2021
- Yes, it has been offside: FIFA tests an artificial intelligence system with a view to using it in the Qatar World Cup - InTallaght - November 29th, 2021
- UC adopts recommendations for the responsible use of Artificial Intelligence - Preuss School Ucsd - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare? 'Don't focus solely on technology' - Innovation Origins - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence to Boost the Global Wound Care Market by 2026 with Minimal Intervention Solutions - inForney.com - October 20th, 2021
- Global Artificial Intelligence Market Is Expected To Set A New Benchmark With A CAGR Of 40.2% By 2028 | Up Market Research - PRNewswire - October 20th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions, Inc. Reports Revenue Increases of Over 400% Over Same Period Prior Year as Shown in 2nd Quarter SEC... - October 20th, 2021
- WVU Researchers Using Artificial Intelligence To Help Diagnose Those With Autism - West Virginia Public Broadcasting - October 20th, 2021
- Potential of Artificial Intelligence Replacing Animal Testing in the Future - Analytics Insight - October 20th, 2021
- Putting artificial intelligence at the heart of health care with help from MIT - MIT News - October 20th, 2021
- What is Artificial Intelligence as a Service (AIaaS)? | ITBE - IT Business Edge - October 20th, 2021
- Understanding the UK Artificial Intelligence commercialisation - GOV.UK - October 20th, 2021
- Beethoven's Unfinished 10th Symphony Brought to Life by Artificial Intelligence - Scientific American - October 20th, 2021
- The 5 articles you read in AI hell - The Next Web - October 20th, 2021
- Transactions in the Age of Artificial Intelligence: Risks and Considerations - JD Supra - October 20th, 2021
- SenseTime Co-hosts the 3rd International Artificial Intelligence Fair to Nurture AI Talent and Promote a Collaborative Education Ecosystem -... - October 20th, 2021
- Alation Acquires Artificial Intelligence Vendor Lyngo Analytics - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- AI in the courts - The Indian Express - July 12th, 2021
- Infrared cameras and artificial intelligence provide insight into boiling - MIT News - July 12th, 2021
- COVID: Artificial intelligence in the pandemic - DW (English) - July 12th, 2021
- The smart role of Artificial Intelligence in todays world - BL on Campus - July 12th, 2021
- Which companies are leading the way for artificial intelligence in the aerospace, defence & security sector? Companies leading the way for... - July 12th, 2021
- Navigating the Intersections of Data, Artificial Intelligence, and Privacy - JD Supra - July 12th, 2021
- Companies leading the way for artificial intelligence in the power sector - Power Technology - July 12th, 2021
- Military researchers ask for artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning able to share experiences - Military & Aerospace Electronics - July 12th, 2021
- The Evolution of the Judiciary in the Age of Technology | Artificial Intelligence and the Delivery of Justice - Lexology - July 12th, 2021
- Content management and Artificial Intelligence the future of ContentOps - ITProPortal - July 12th, 2021
- How artificial intelligence is propelling the energy transition forward - Innovation Origins - July 12th, 2021
- Astronomers use artificial intelligence to reveal the true shape of universe - WION - July 12th, 2021
- A History of Regular Expressions and Artificial Intelligence - kottke.org - kottke.org - July 12th, 2021
- Experimenting thoughtfully with artificial intelligence - Reuters - June 15th, 2021
- VisionQuest Uses Artificial Intelligence to Screen 40000 Patients for Diabetic Retinopathy - Business Wire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence for Rapid Exclusion of COVID-19 Infection - SciTechDaily - June 15th, 2021
- Researchers ask industry for military technologies in artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned aircraft - Military & Aerospace Electronics - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Uses of Artificial Intelligence to Improve Customer Experience Measurement - Small Business Trends - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the McData-fueled future of capitalism - The Next Web - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Types of Artificial Intelligence that will Shape 2021 and Beyond - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence will Transform Businesses in 2021? - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Research of Quantum Mechanics - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Global Wearable Medical Devices Markets Report 2021: Integrating Artificial Intelligence in the Wearable Medical Devices is Gaining Traction -... - June 15th, 2021
- Your Future May Lie With an Artificial Intelligence Certificate - The Future of Things - June 15th, 2021
- White House partners with NSF to stand up National AI Research Resource Task Force - Federal News Network - June 15th, 2021
- RGS welcomes Artificial Intelligence Innovator to training event - Attain News - June 15th, 2021
- An artificial-intelligence powered ETF has smashed the S&P 500 in the last month without any meme stocks - Markets Insider - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing the Future of Air Transportation - GW Today - June 15th, 2021
- Can We Learn Sperm Whale Language? Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Find Out - TheInertia.com - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Pharmaceutical market worth US$27156.1 Million in 2031. Visiongain Research Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- DoDs AI center striving to be connective tissue across all projects - Federal News Network - February 17th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence is Improving the Online Sports Betting Experience - MWWire - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Calastone implements Opsmatix Artificial Intelligence solution Improving client handling and efficiency within client operations - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - by Component, Technology, Process, Application, Vehicle Type, Demand Category,... - February 17th, 2021
- Liverpool scientists deploy Artificial Intelligence to develop model that predicts the next pandemic - Times Now - February 17th, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence May Not Offer The Business Value You Think - CMSWire - February 17th, 2021
- Needed: People To Put The Intelligence In Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence helps automation, but can't tell you where to put your money, Indexa CEO says - Business Insider - February 17th, 2021
- Excerpt: 'Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Power' by Rajiv Malhotra - Times of India - February 17th, 2021
- BYU lab works to improve artificial intelligence communication - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to monitor patients with chronic diseases and COVID-19 - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 17th, 2021