AI tools and services are being used or offered by companies around the world to help fight the coronavirus pandemic.
In a best-case scenario, whereby the virus transmission is massively mitigated, researchers from Imperial College London predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.11.2 million in the US resulting from the coronavirus.
Imperial College Londons analysis landed in Washington over the weekend and its said to be the reason behind the US stepping up its response. British PM Johnson warned that further measures in the UK will likely be introduced in the coming days and a coronavirus bill for emergency powers is making its way to the House of Commons.
Much like in wartime, technologies and social experiments that under normal circumstances would take years or decades to be tested and implemented will be rushed into use in days or weeks.
Chinas Tianhe-1 supercomputer is offering doctors around the world free access to an AI diagnosis tool for identifying coronavirus patients based on a chest scan. The supercomputer can sift through hundreds of images generated by computed tomography (CT) and can give a diagnosis in about 10 seconds.
Alibaba Cloud has launched a series of AI technologies including the International Medical Expert Communication Platform on Alibaba Groups enterprise chat and collaboration app, DingTalk. The platform allows verified medical personnel around the world to share their experiences through online messaging and video conferencing.
Another solution from Alibaba estimates the trajectory of a coronavirus outbreak in a specific region using a machine learning algorithm based on public data gathered from 31 provinces in China. Within China, it has a 98 percent accuracy rate.
For researchers and institutions working hard towards a vaccine, Alibaba has opened its AI-powered computational platform to accelerate data transfer and computation time in areas such as virtual drug screening.
Several of the other leading cloud players in China including Baidu and Tencent have opened up specific parts of their solutions for free to qualifying medical personnel. In the US, Microsoft and Google have also done the same.
Last month, scientists from South Korea-based firm Deargen published a paper with the results from a deep learning-based model called MT-DTI which predicted that, of available FDA-approved antiviral medication, the HIV drug atazanavir is the most likely to bind and block a prominent protein on the outside of the virus which causes COVID-19. In early trials, coronavirus sufferers are reportedly improving significantly using HIV drugs.
Hong Kong-based Insilico Medicine also published a paper in February which, instead of seeking to repurpose available drugs, detailed the use of a drug discovery platform which generated tens of thousands of novel molecules with the potential to bind a specific SARS-CoV-2 protein and block the viruss ability to replicate. A deep learning filtering system helped Insilico narrow down the list and the company has synthesised two of the seven molecules and plans to test them in the next two weeks with a pharmaceutical partner.
British AI startup Benevolent AI has also been active in seeking to identify approved drugs that might block the viral replication of COVID-19. The companys AI system examined a large repository of medical information to identify six compounds that effectively block a cellular pathway that appears to allow the virus into cells to make more virus particles. Baricitinib, used for treating rheumatoid arthritis, looks to be the most effective against the virus.
For its part, the White House has urged AI experts to analyse a dataset of 29,000 scholarly articles about coronavirus and use them to develop text and data-mining techniques to help scientists answer the following key questions about COVID-19:
The entire COVID-19 Open Research Dataset (CORD-19) has been made available on SemanticScholar and will be updated whenever new research is published.
While the outlook around the world is currently grim, some of these AI-powered tools and developments offer a glimmer of hope we may be to reduce the viruss spread, improve treatment for patients, and ultimately conquer the coronavirus sooner than otherwise would have been possible.
Interested in hearing industry leaders discuss subjects like this? Attend the co-located 5G Expo, IoT Tech Expo, Blockchain Expo, AI & Big Data Expo, and Cyber Security & Cloud Expo World Series with upcoming events in Silicon Valley, London, and Amsterdam.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Definition - Investopedia - May 31st, 2020
- The Temptations Of Artificial Intelligence Technology And The Price Of Admission - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence offers a chance to optimize COVID-19 treatment in international partnership - Vanderbilt University News - May 31st, 2020
- Reality Check: The Benefits of Artificial Intelligence - AiThority - May 31st, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is hopelessly biased - and that's how it will stay - TechRadar India - May 31st, 2020
- Top Artificial Intelligence Trends that will Change the Decade - Analytics Insight - May 31st, 2020
- Art and artifice - The Indian Express - May 31st, 2020
- The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Ethical Hacking | EC-Council Official Blog - EC-Council Blog - May 31st, 2020
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence - Seattle Times - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial intelligence software improves accuracy, doubles speed in evaluating CT scans of advanced cancer - UAB News - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus tests the value of artificial intelligence in medicine - FierceHealthcare - May 31st, 2020
- The Use of Artificial Intelligence by Investment Advisers: Considerations Based on an Advisers Fiduciary Duties - JD Supra - May 31st, 2020
- Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence for Digital Infrastructures job with UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL | 208485 - Times Higher Education (THE) - May 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market to Reach USD 202.57 Billion by 2026; Rising Demand for Cloud-based Applications to Aid Growth: Fortune Business... - May 31st, 2020
- Walmart Employees Are Out to Show Its Anti-Shoplifting AI Doesn't Work - WIRED - May 31st, 2020
- How artificial intelligence is keeping time-critical shipments on track during pandemic - FreightWaves - May 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Recent FTC Guidance on the Use of Artificial Intelligence and Algorithms in the Age of COVID-19 - Government Contracts Legal Forum - May 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: A Mix of Challenges and Opportunities | Artificial Intelligence-as-a-Service (AIaaS) Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Cloud... - May 31st, 2020
- IIT-Ropar and TSW Launch a PG Programme in Artificial Intelligence - THE WEEK - May 31st, 2020
- MS in Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence - May 19th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? | Azure Blog and Updates ... - May 19th, 2020
- What Are the Advantages of Artificial Intelligence ... - May 19th, 2020
- AI Tutorial | Artificial Intelligence Tutorial - Javatpoint - May 19th, 2020
- It's Called Artificial Intelligencebut What Is Intelligence? - WIRED - May 19th, 2020
- Powering the Artificial Intelligence Revolution - HPCwire - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is struggling to cope with how the world has changed - ZDNet - May 19th, 2020
- An AI future set to take over post-Covid world - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- A New Way To Think About Artificial Intelligence With This ETF - MarketWatch - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence-based imaging reconstruction may lead to incorrect diagnoses, experts caution - Radiology Business - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Covid Frontline - Morningstar - May 19th, 2020
- Patent Analytics Market to Reach USD 1,668.4 Million by 2027; Integration of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to Spur Business... - May 19th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in Cancer: How Is It Used in Practice? - Cancer Therapy Advisor - May 19th, 2020
- Five Important Subsets of Artificial Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- Ethical artificial intelligence: Could Switzerland take the lead? - swissinfo.ch - May 19th, 2020
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence: Edge Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Architecture - May 15th, 2020
- Keysight Validates Artificial Intelligence (AI) and ... - May 15th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence? Examples and News in 2019 ... - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Is Nothing Without Humans - E3zine.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is helping seniors who are isolated during the coronavirus pandemic - WXYZ - May 15th, 2020
- ValleyML is launching a Machine Learning and Deep Learning Boot Camp from July 14th to Sept 10th and AI Expo Series from Sept 21st to Nov 19th 2020.... - May 15th, 2020
- TSA Issues Road Map to Tackle Insider Threat With Artificial Intelligence - Nextgov - May 15th, 2020
- The Expanding Role Of Artificial Intelligence In Tax - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: Technology Of The Future - Forbes India - May 15th, 2020
- SparkCognition and Milize to Offer Automated Machine Learning Solutions for Financial Institutions to the APAC Region - PRNewswire - May 15th, 2020
- Alpha Modus Allowed 2nd Patent Leveraging Artificial Intelligence for Monitoring and Analyzing Consumer Behavior - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla : Artificial Intelligence - the .AI domain is on the rise - marketscreener.com - May 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Can Only Help Architecture if We Ask the Right Questions - ArchDaily - May 15th, 2020
- Fighting COVID-19: Artificial Intelligence community to help citizens and the healthcare system - Canada NewsWire - May 15th, 2020
- Understanding the Four Types of Artificial Intelligence - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence Facts for Kids - May 9th, 2020
- 4 Main Types of Artificial Intelligence - G2 - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence project lets Holocaust survivors ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Simple English Wikipedia, the ... - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Market by Size, Share, Analysis ... - May 9th, 2020
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence movie review (2001) | Roger Ebert - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence is Evolving to Process the World Like Humans - Interesting Engineering - May 9th, 2020
- Drug research turns to artificial intelligence in COVID-19 fight - Business in Vancouver - May 9th, 2020
- Women wanted: Why now could be a good time for women to pursue a career in AI - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Used to Identify Light Sources With Far Fewer Measurements - Unite.AI - May 9th, 2020
- The Impending Artificial Intelligence Revolution in Healthcare - Op-Ed - HIT Consultant - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 identification in X-ray images by Artificial intelligence - News Anyway - May 9th, 2020
- Is artificial intelligence the answer to the care sector amid COVID-19? - Descrier - May 9th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence - Wikipedia - April 26th, 2020
- artificial intelligence | Definition, Examples, and ... - April 26th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - April 26th, 2020
- What Is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | PCMag - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Totally Changing Everything ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence And Automation Top Focus For Venture Capitalists - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence - Future of ... - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence can take banks to the next level - TechRepublic - April 26th, 2020
- Health care of tomorrow, today: How artificial intelligence is fighting the current, and future, COVID-19 pandemic | TheHill - The Hill - April 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence, IoT And Big Data Can Save The Bees - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- First meeting of the new CEPEJ Working Group on cyberjustice and artificial intelligence - Council of Europe - April 26th, 2020
- When the coronavirus hit, California turned to artificial intelligence to help map the spread - 60 Minutes - CBS News - April 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence in the Oil & Gas Industry, 2020-2025 - Upstream Operations to Witness Significant Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 26th, 2020
- Pre & Post COVID-19 Market Estimates-Artificial Intelligence (AI) Market in Retail Sector 2019-2023| Increased Efficiency of Operations to Boost... - April 26th, 2020
- EUREKA Clusters Artificial Intelligence (AI) Call | News item - The Netherlands and You - April 26th, 2020
- A guide to healthy skepticism of artificial intelligence and coronavirus - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2020