Although AI is undoubtedly multifaceted, there are specific types of artificial intelligence under which extended categories fall.
What are the four types of artificial intelligence?
There are a plethora of terms and definitions in AI that can make it difficult to navigate the difference between categories, subsets, or types of artificial intelligence and no, theyre not all the same. Some subsets of AI include machine learning, big data, and natural language processing (NLP); however, this article covers the four main types of artificial intelligence: reactive machines, limited memory, theory of mind, and self-awareness.
These four types of artificial intelligence comprise smaller aspects of the general realm of AI.
Reactive machines are the most basic type of AI system. This means that they cannot form memories or use past experiences to influence present-made decisions; they can only react to currently existing situations hence reactive. An existing form of a reactive machine is Deep Blue, a chess-playing supercomputer created by IBM in the mid-1980s.
Deep Blue was created to play chess against a human competitor with intent to defeat the competitor. It was programmed with the ability to identify a chess board and its pieces while understanding the pieces functions. Deep Blue could make predictions about what moves it should make and the moves its opponent might make, thus having an enhanced ability to predict, select, and win. In a series of matches played between 1996 and 1997, Deep Blue defeated Russian chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov 3 to 2 games, becoming the first computerized program to defeat a human opponent.
Deep Blues unique skill of accurately and successfully playing chess matches highlight its reactive abilities. In the same vein, its reactive mind also indicates that it has no concept of past or future; it only comprehends and acts on the presently-existing world and components within it. To simplify, reactive machines are programmed for the here and now, but not the before and after.
Reactive machines have no concept of the world and therefore cannot function beyond the simple tasks for which they are programmed. A characteristic of reactive machines is that no matter the time or place, these machines will always behave the way they were programmed. There is no growth with reactive machines, only stagnation in recurring actions and behaviors.
Limited memory is comprised of machine learning models that derive knowledge from previously-learned information, stored data, or events. Unlike reactive machines, limited memory learns from the past by observing actions or data fed to them in order to build experiential knowledge.
Although limited memory builds on observational data in conjunction with pre-programmed data the machines already contain, these sample pieces of information are fleeting. An existing form of limited memory is autonomous vehicles.
Autonomous vehicles, or self-driving cars, use the principle of limited memory in that they depend on a combination of observational and pre-programmed knowledge. To observe and understand how to properly drive and function among human-dependent vehicles, self-driving cars read their environment, detect patterns or changes in external factors, and adjust as necessary.
Not only do autonomous vehicles observe their environment, but they also observe the movement of other vehicles and people in their line of vision. Previously, driverless cars without limited memory AI took as long as 100 seconds to react and make judgments on external factors. Since the introduction of limited memory, reaction time on machine-based observations has dropped sharply, depicting the value of limited memory AI.
GIF courtesy of ProStock/Getty via Tesla
What constitutes theory of mind is decision-making ability equal to the extent of a human mind, but by machines. While there are some machines that currently exhibit humanlike capabilities (voice assistants, for instance), none are fully capable of holding conversations relative to human standards. One component of human conversation is having emotional capacity, or sounding and behaving like a person would in standard conventions of conversation.
This future class of machine ability would include understanding that people have thoughts and emotions that affect behavioral output and thus influence a theory of mind machines thought process. Social interaction is a key facet of human interaction, so to make theory of mind machines tangible, the AI systems that control the now-hypothetical machines would have to identify, understand, retain, and remember emotional output and behaviors while knowing how to respond to them.
From this, said theory of mind machines would have to be able to use the information derived from people and adapt it into their learning centers to know how to communicate with and treat different situations. Theory of mind is a highly advanced form of proposed artificial intelligence that would require machines to thoroughly acknowledge rapid shifts in emotional and behavioral patterns in humans, and also understand that human behavior is fluid; thus, theory of mind machines would have to be able to learn rapidly at a moments notice.
Some elements of theory of mind AI currently exist or have existed in the recent past. Two notable examples are the robots Kismet and Sophia, created in 2000 and 2016, respectively.
Kismet, developed by Professor Cynthia Breazeal, was capable of recognizing human facial signals (emotions) and could replicate said emotions with its face, which was structured with human facial features: eyes, lips, ears, eyebrows, and eyelids.
Sophia, on the other hand, is a humanoid bot created by Hanson Robotics. What distinguishes her from previous robots is her physical likeness to a human being as well as her ability to see (image recognition) and respond to interactions with appropriate facial expressions.
GIF courtesy of GIPHY
These two humanlike robots are samples of movement toward full theory of mind AI systems materializing in the near future. While neither fully holds the ability to have full-blown human conversation with an actual person, both robots have aspects of emotive ability akin to that of their human counterparts one step toward seamlessly assimilating into human society.
Self-aware AI involves machines that have human-level consciousness. This form of AI is not currently in existence, but would be considered the most advanced form of artificial intelligence known to man.
Facets of self-aware AI include the ability to not only recognize and replicate humanlike actions, but also to think for itself, have desires, and understand its feelings. Self-aware AI, in essence, is an advancement and extension of theory of mind AI. Where theory of mind only focuses on the aspects of comprehension and replication of human practices, self-aware AI takes it a step further by implying that it can and will have self-guided thoughts and reactions.
We are presently in tier three of the four types of artificial intelligence, so believing that we could potentially reach the fourth (and final?) tier of AI doesnt seem like a far-fetched idea.
But for now, its important to focus on perfecting all aspects of types two and three in AI. Sloppily speeding through each AI tier could be detrimental to the future of artificial intelligence for generations to come.
TIP: Find out what AI software currently exists today, and see how it can help with your business processes.
Ready to learn more in-depth information about artificial intelligence? Check out articles on the benefits and risks of AI as well as the innovative minds behind the first genderless voice assistant!
See the rest here:
- Experimenting thoughtfully with artificial intelligence - Reuters - June 15th, 2021
- VisionQuest Uses Artificial Intelligence to Screen 40000 Patients for Diabetic Retinopathy - Business Wire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence for Rapid Exclusion of COVID-19 Infection - SciTechDaily - June 15th, 2021
- Researchers ask industry for military technologies in artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned aircraft - Military & Aerospace Electronics - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Uses of Artificial Intelligence to Improve Customer Experience Measurement - Small Business Trends - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the McData-fueled future of capitalism - The Next Web - June 15th, 2021
- 5 Types of Artificial Intelligence that will Shape 2021 and Beyond - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence will Transform Businesses in 2021? - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Research of Quantum Mechanics - Analytics Insight - June 15th, 2021
- Global Wearable Medical Devices Markets Report 2021: Integrating Artificial Intelligence in the Wearable Medical Devices is Gaining Traction -... - June 15th, 2021
- Your Future May Lie With an Artificial Intelligence Certificate - The Future of Things - June 15th, 2021
- White House partners with NSF to stand up National AI Research Resource Task Force - Federal News Network - June 15th, 2021
- RGS welcomes Artificial Intelligence Innovator to training event - Attain News - June 15th, 2021
- An artificial-intelligence powered ETF has smashed the S&P 500 in the last month without any meme stocks - Markets Insider - June 15th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing the Future of Air Transportation - GW Today - June 15th, 2021
- Can We Learn Sperm Whale Language? Researchers Are Using Artificial Intelligence to Find Out - TheInertia.com - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in the Pharmaceutical market worth US$27156.1 Million in 2031. Visiongain Research Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence And The End Of Work - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- DoDs AI center striving to be connective tissue across all projects - Federal News Network - February 17th, 2021
- How Artificial Intelligence is Improving the Online Sports Betting Experience - MWWire - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (2) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Calastone implements Opsmatix Artificial Intelligence solution Improving client handling and efficiency within client operations - PRNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- Global Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - by Component, Technology, Process, Application, Vehicle Type, Demand Category,... - February 17th, 2021
- Liverpool scientists deploy Artificial Intelligence to develop model that predicts the next pandemic - Times Now - February 17th, 2021
- Why Artificial Intelligence May Not Offer The Business Value You Think - CMSWire - February 17th, 2021
- Needed: People To Put The Intelligence In Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 17th, 2021
- Chess and Artificial Intelligence (1) - Chessbase News - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence helps automation, but can't tell you where to put your money, Indexa CEO says - Business Insider - February 17th, 2021
- Excerpt: 'Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Power' by Rajiv Malhotra - Times of India - February 17th, 2021
- BYU lab works to improve artificial intelligence communication - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence used to monitor patients with chronic diseases and COVID-19 - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - February 17th, 2021
- Elon Musk Talks Auto Safety and Regulation of Artificial Intelligence with Joe Rogan - Corporate Crime Reporter - February 17th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Market is expected to rise at a remarkable CAGR during the Forecast Period 2020-2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper... - February 17th, 2021
- AI Definition & Meaning | What is Artificial Intelligence? - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Development Goals - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence can predict whether you will die from COVID-19 - Free Press Journal - February 7th, 2021
- Beyond the Unknown: Applications of Artificial intelligence In Space - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Two UWF teams place in top 5 in national artificial intelligence competition - University of West Florida Newsroom - UWF Newsroom - February 7th, 2021
- Bingo and AI: The changing relation between entertainment and artificial intelligence - Analytics Insight - February 7th, 2021
- Off The Menu: Artificial intelligence lends hand in recipe development - MassLive.com - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence must not be allowed to replace the imperfection of human empathy - The Conversation UK - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial intelligence and the Gamestonk blowback - The Next Web - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence in Policing Is the Focus of Encode Justice - Teen Vogue - February 6th, 2021
- 'Artificial Intelligence' Integrated PET-CT launched at Yashoda Hospitals, Hyderabad on the occasion of World Cancer Day 2021 - PR Newswire India - February 6th, 2021
- SLAS Technology Special Collection on Artificial Intelligence in Process Automation Available Now - Newswise - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Will Change The Way We Work Once We Get Back To The Office - Forbes - February 6th, 2021
- Chemistry and computer science join forces to apply artificial intelligence to chemical reactions - Princeton University - February 6th, 2021
- How to Build a Modern Workplace with Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- Morality Poses the Biggest Risk to Military Integration of Artificial Intelligence - The National Interest - February 6th, 2021
- Canon Medical expands reach of its MRI artificial intelligence programs - FierceBiotech - February 6th, 2021
- Harnessing the Power of Artificial Intelligence with High-Performance Computing: Dell Technologies - CRN - India - CRN.in - February 6th, 2021
- AI-Powered Cooperation Will Transform US Military Operations Homeland Security Today - HSToday - February 6th, 2021
- Skinopathy Files Provisional Patent for Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Reality Powered Technology that will Guide Skin Cancer Surgeries - Yahoo... - February 6th, 2021
- How Artificial intelligence is Transforming the Apparel Industry - BBN Times - February 6th, 2021
- How Airbus And Boeing Are Using Artificial Intelligence To Advance Autonomous Flight - Simple Flying - February 6th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Market to Witness Huge Growth by Top Key Players | Welltok, Inc., Intel Corporation, Nvidia Corporation And More KSU |... - February 6th, 2021
- A crewless boat is recreating the Mayflower's 400-year-old journey, with the help of artificial intelligence - CBS News - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Is It All Just Costly Hype? - Dice Insights - December 26th, 2020
- 7 Types of Artificial Intelligence: Propelling the Technology Development - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence will go mainstream in 2021 The Manila Times - The Manila Times - December 26th, 2020
- Top 7 Amazing Artificial Intelligence Applications that Are Unfamiliar - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- NASCAR Team up with the World Poker Tour while Artificial Intelligence Breaks New Barriers - HighstakesDB - December 26th, 2020
- Youve heard of Elf on the Shelf; in New Haven theres elf with artificial intelligence - New Haven Register - December 26th, 2020
- How is Artificial Intelligence Transforming the lives of People with Disabilities? - Analytics Insight - December 26th, 2020
- How Bad Is Your Spotify? There's Artificial Intelligence to Judge Your Taste - Distractify - December 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence measure included in must-pass government funding deal - Homeland Preparedness News - December 26th, 2020
- PetrSU joined the fight for leadership in the field of artificial intelligence applications in Russia and in the world - India Education Diary - December 26th, 2020
- Why not enlist the help of artificial intelligence to nudge people to mask up? - Houston Chronicle - December 22nd, 2020
- Congress wants an inventory of all AI projects at the Pentagon - C4ISRNet - December 22nd, 2020
- The influence of artificial intelligence on the banking industry - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - December 22nd, 2020
- Application of artificial intelligence in the field of treatment and medicine - Tehran Times - December 22nd, 2020
- Using Artificial Intelligence To Transform An Industry? Nominations For The 2021 AI 50 List Are Open - Forbes - December 22nd, 2020
- Delivering Proactive Mental Healthcare With Artificial Intelligence - HealthITAnalytics.com - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial intelligence is intertwined in precision agriculture - AGDAILY - December 22nd, 2020
- Spin Announces Cutting Edge On-Vehicle Artificial Intelligence (AI) Platform To Bring Sidewalk Riding and Parking Detection Technology to Cities... - December 22nd, 2020
- UC convenes Artificial Intelligence Working Group to harness innovative technology, establish guardrails for equitable and ethical use - University of... - December 22nd, 2020
- Automotive Artificial Intelligence Market Research Report by Technology, by Process, by Offerings, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - December 22nd, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence, Contactless Solutions Set to Provide Safety Protocols to Enable Reopening of Live Events in 2021 - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Employing artificial intelligence to spot infrastructure issues - Construction Dive - December 22nd, 2020