Some political commentators have predicted that a Joe Biden presidency would spell the end of Antifa and its riots.
"Notice, there are no post-election riots because the media have declared Biden the next president, and Biden declares himself president," tweeted conservative commentator Mark Levin. "So, most of the looters, arsonists, rioters were, in fact, pro-Biden voters."
Comments like these reflect a widespread misunderstanding about Antifa. Antifa is not made up of supporters of the Democratic Party, even if it shares a hatred of the Donald Trump administration. It is a movement of anarchist-communist individuals, organizations and networks that seek the abolishment of the United States itself. That means no Republicansor Democrats.
To see what Antifa has done and what it's likely to do under a Biden administration, just look to Portlandthe epicenter of American Antifa militancy.
From May through October this year, Antifa and far-left extremists carried out more than 125 days of violent protests and riots. National media focused on the riots in July when thousands of protesters tried to tear down the barrier protecting the downtown federal courthouse. Some of them tried to burn down the whole facility. The Portland mayor, Oregon governor and other Democrats blamed the Trump administration. But like Levin, they were wrong to believe that Antifa has a partisan agenda.
As soon as federal officers withdrew at the beginning of August, Antifa simply moved its riots to other parts of the cityareas inhabited by residents. In the months after, the rioters have tried to burn down police stations and have vandalized dozens of businesses and homes. But since Election Day, not only have they not ceased their violence, they've stepped up their attacks on smaller targets to avoid arrests.
On Nov. 4, the day after the election, they gathered in the hundreds downtown and held a large banner declaring: "WE DON'T WANT BIDENWE WANT REVENGE!" The marauders marched through a business district where they smashed windows one by one using hammers. Nothing in their path was spared. A church that provided support services to Portland's homeless shut down its charity work due to severe damage to its building exterior. Gov. Kate Brown activated the National Guard for the first time to clamp down on the mass violence that night.
But it was just getting started. The day after, a mob of Antifa rioters gathered at the home of Portland city commissioner Dan Ryan and vandalized it as punishment for being the swing vote against a city council proposal to defund police.
On Nov. 8, another Antifa mob destroyed the exterior of the Multnomah County Democrats' headquarters using melee tools in a late-night riot. They spray-painted "F BIDEN" on the building to top it off.
Four days later, several dozen Antifa members secretly marched in the middle of the night to the offices of the Rapid Response Bio Clean, a business contracted with the city to clean and remove homeless encampments. There, they disabled the security cameras and smashed out the glass windows.
And just last Friday, in an evolution of riot tactics, Antifa publicly announced a downtown "direct action" via social media flyers. But this was a trick. The event was a decoy to fool police into responding to the wrong place while the main group of 100 Antifa members smashed out and vandalized more than two dozen businesses in northeast Portland. Police made no arrests.
Antifa's activities in Portland show that not only is the group still a force to be reckoned with post-Election Day, but it's also improving its organizing to evade arrest. The goal of the riots is the same today as it was before: drain public resources and make economic recovery after COVID-19 impossible for the public. Some signs show it is working. Businesses that didn't already shutter earlier this year continue to suffer routine damage costing thousands to repair each time. All the while, the entire state of Oregon has now gone under a new set of lockdown restrictions. Moribund businesses will meet their end.
Biden infamously said in the first presidential debate in September that Antifa is an "idea." He is right, but Antifa also organizes and carries out violence based on that idea. And it views him, Kamala Harris and the state as its primary enemies now that Donald Trump will soon be out of the way.
Andy Ngo is the author of the upcoming Unmasked: Inside Antifa's Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy.
The views expressed in this article are the writer's own.
See original here:
- Witness at trial over Unite the Right rally describes being terrified by marchers, badly injured when car struck her - kuna noticias y kuna radio - November 2nd, 2021
- Kyle Rittenhouse and the New Era of Political Violence - The New York Times - November 2nd, 2021
- Ted Nugent repeats baseless claims that Antifa and BLM activists were behind Capitol riot - NME - June 10th, 2021
- Finally, Portland Antifa is being brought to justice for its violence - New York Post - June 10th, 2021
- Alleged Santa Cruz Boogaloo Militia Planned 'War' on Police, Disguising Themselves as Antifa - SFist - June 10th, 2021
- Journalist Andy Ng Says He Was Nearly Killed by 'Antifa' While Undercover at Oregon Protest - Yahoo News - June 10th, 2021
- Another Antifa beating won't silence truth-teller Andy Ngo - New York Post - June 10th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Grassley proudly stands with democracy's foes - theperrynews.com - June 10th, 2021
- What is antifa? Is it a group or an idea, and what do ... - February 10th, 2021
- Antifa (United States) - Wikipedia - February 10th, 2021
- Who are Antifa? - Anti-Defamation League - February 10th, 2021
- Jewish Antifa Hacks KKK Website: 'We Will Destroy Their Lives' - Newsweek - February 10th, 2021
- US Attorney who prosecuted Antifa suspects will resign at request of Biden admin - Fox News - February 10th, 2021
- Antifa uses Twitter to threaten me and the media: Seattle radio host - Yahoo News - February 10th, 2021
- What is antifa and why is Donald Trump targeting it ... - February 10th, 2021
- What Is Antifa: 5 Things To Know About The Movement ... - February 10th, 2021
- Antifa and the Capitol: A tale of two insurrections - opinion - The Jerusalem Post - February 10th, 2021
- LONSBERRY: Time To Move Against Antifa And The Proud Boys | 570 WSYR | Bob Lonsberry - KFI AM 640 - February 10th, 2021
- How Trumps Focus on Antifa Distracted Attention From the Far-Right Threat - The New York Times - February 4th, 2021
- Trump's Antifa Obsession Diverted Feds From Right-Wing Threats: Officials - The Daily Beast - February 4th, 2021
- Rudy Giuliani Responds to Lincoln Projects Litigation Threat: Im Writing Them a Letter Back Telling Them I Will Not Respond to Their Letter - Law... - February 4th, 2021
- How the Media and Politicians Aided Antifa Rioters in Portland | Opinion - Newsweek - February 4th, 2021
- Inside Antifa With Andy Ngo - The Federalist - February 4th, 2021
- Ohio Man Radicalized by Trump Tried to Blame Riots on Antifa While Admitting He Was in the Capitol. It Didnt Work. - Law & Crime - February 4th, 2021
- Parker column, Electoral College, Antifa and BLM | Letters To The Editor | tdtnews.com - Temple Daily Telegram - December 1st, 2020
- What an ex-Proud Boy says happens within the groups ranks - WTOP - December 1st, 2020
- Is ANYONE actually surprised that rioting comrades Antifa & BLM are seeking a divorce as racial tensions come to the fore? - RT - December 1st, 2020
- In Sacramento, Proud Boys take to the streets, and they're angry J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - December 1st, 2020
- Pro-Trump Washington Councilwoman Tearfully Rants After Husband Is Fired For Harassing Reporter - Comic Sands - December 1st, 2020
- Ex-Proud Boy on life inside the far-right group's ranks - 9News - December 1st, 2020
- Right-Wing Orgs Are Enlisting Students in Their War Against Campus Progressives - Truthout - December 1st, 2020
- GOP Sen. Josh Hawley tries to explain how Democrats are both 'Marxists' and 'corporatists' - The Week - December 1st, 2020
- Savannahs Town Square: Election results and the absence of violence - Savannah Morning News - December 1st, 2020
- Violent Portland Antifa IDd as 35-year-old trans woman - The Post Millennial - November 30th, 2020
- Alleged Antifa Leader Suspended from Twitter After Threatening Violence Against Donald Trump If He Fails to Concede 2020 Election by Deadline - The... - November 30th, 2020
- What Is Antifa? Separating Fact From Fiction | Here & Now - October 23rd, 2020
- Antifa 'commander' with flamethrower cried when he was ... - October 23rd, 2020
- Most arrested in protests are not associated with antifa - Axios - October 23rd, 2020
- What is antifa? Is it a group or an idea, and what do supporters want? - CBS News - October 23rd, 2020
- Republican Plays the Antifa Card on Suburban Women of the Chathams - InsiderNJ - October 23rd, 2020
- My week with the baying Antifa mob - Spectator.co.uk - October 23rd, 2020
- Antifa Is Mentioned Just Once in Court Docs for Hundreds of BLM Protest Arrests: AP - The Daily Beast - October 23rd, 2020
- Looking at the ideologies of the Whitmer kidnapping plot suspects - PolitiFact - October 23rd, 2020
- Is antifa asking people to disguise themselves as Trump supporters? It appears to be a 2017 hoax, recycled - OregonLive - October 23rd, 2020
- America Speaks: What is a bigger threat to America - white supremacy or antifa? - YouGov US - October 23rd, 2020
- Realtor and son of former Democrat lawmaker charged over Antifa firebombings and assault - The Post Millennial - October 23rd, 2020
- Lawyers Say Philly Officials Are Partaking In 'Italophobia' By Allowing Antifa to Target Them - YC - October 23rd, 2020
- Another week of wildfire smoke. But it's not because of antifa. - KUOW News and Information - September 15th, 2020
- No evidence for rumor that Antifa cut down utility poles to start fires on the West Coast - PolitiFact - September 15th, 2020
- 'Antifa Alyse' has you covered with this bail list for Black Lives Matter rioters - Must Read Alaska - September 15th, 2020
- Right-Wing Conspiracists Linked Antifa to the Wildfires. Then They Got a Big Boost From Russian Media. - Mother Jones - September 15th, 2020
- Facebook to take down false reports of antifa arson in Oregon - NBC News - September 15th, 2020
- VERIFY: No, Antifa did not start the wildfires in Oregon - KGW.com - September 15th, 2020
- Rumors of blazes started by antifa spreading as fast as fires - The Spokesman-Review - September 15th, 2020
- Sheriff says its unlikely antifa started Cold Springs Fire - wenatcheeworld.com - September 15th, 2020
- Antifa and BLM protest in Poughkeepsie - Mid-Hudson News - September 15th, 2020
- Posts on social media are blaming antifa and the Proud Boys for the US wildfires. Firefighters, police and the FBI say it isn't true - ABC News - September 15th, 2020
- Bernie Kerik says DOJ must put an end to BLM, Antifa: This is an anti-government movement - Fox News - September 15th, 2020
- And Tomorrow the Entire World review German antifa drama skewers left and right - The Guardian - September 15th, 2020
- When They Came To An Oregon Town To Take Pictures Of The Fires, Armed Locals Thought They Were Antifa Arsonists - BuzzFeed News - September 15th, 2020
- Will Antifa and Black Lives Matter cancel the Biden-Harris ticket? - Washington Times - September 15th, 2020
- Did Antifa and BLM do the RICO? - KCRW - September 15th, 2020
- What Is Antifa? Mostly a Myth - Progressive.org - September 4th, 2020
- Fact check: Antifa.com does redirect to Joebiden.com, but this is not proof of a link between the two - Reuters - September 4th, 2020
- Devin Nunes May Be Trump's 'Person' Who Witnessed the Antifa Plane 'Firsthand' - The Daily Beast - September 4th, 2020
- Rantz: Trump goes to war with organized Seattle Antifa and agitators - MyNorthwest.com - September 4th, 2020
- Right-wing extremists far greater threat than antifa, says former DHS senior official - Yahoo! Voices - September 4th, 2020
- Antifa threatened to burn down Portland apartment building, set fire to police office - The Post Millennial - August 9th, 2020
- Congress to Hold Hearing on Antifa Violence - National Review - August 9th, 2020
- Homeland Security Is Quietly Tying Antifa to Foreign Powers - The Nation - August 9th, 2020
- Social media rumor of militant gathering in Weatherford draws more than 200 counterprotesters - The Dallas Morning News - August 9th, 2020
- Cruz, ahead of Antifa hearing, describes riots in US cities as organized terror attacks - Fox News - August 9th, 2020
- No positive light on ANTIFA | Letters to the Editor | citizensvoice.com - Wilkes-Barre Citizens Voice - August 9th, 2020
- Was this antifa recruitment site actually created by Ben Shapiro? - The Daily Dot - August 9th, 2020
- Trump on Fox News pushes conspiracy theory that George Soros is funding Antifa - Haaretz - August 9th, 2020
- WWE Reveals Antifa-Type Group, and Fans Are Confused and Mad - PopCulture.com - August 9th, 2020
- (OPINION) Riots, Mayhem, Obstructionism, and Existential Threats - News Talk 1340 KROC-AM - August 9th, 2020
- Our country is at a turning point in terms of police protection | News, Sports, Jobs - Gloversville Leader-Herald - August 9th, 2020
- Letters to the editor: August 8, 2020 - Opinion - Austin American-Statesman - August 9th, 2020
- GWU law prof: Antifa is winning, colleges are helping - Campus Reform - August 8th, 2020