The world watched and waited as the Chinese space station Tiangong-1 hurtled towards a fiery reentry. Please visit our media kit page for background information.
This prediction was performed by The Aerospace Corporation on 2018 April 1.
(Click on image to view full-size image.)
Dotted lines indicate dates of probable orbital maneuvers.
On 2016 March 21, an official Chinese statement declared that telemetry services with Tiangong-1 had ceased. Based on The Aerospace Corporations analysis of Two-Line Element set data from the JSpOC, the last orbitaladjustment for Tiangong-1 was made in December 2015. Likewise, amateur satellite trackershave been tracking Tiangong-1 and claimit has been orbiting uncontrolled since at least June 2016. On 2016September 14, China madean official statement that they predict Tiangong-1 will reenter the atmosphere in the latter half of 2017. China later updated its prediction via an announcement to the UNs Committee on Peaceful Uses of Outer Spaceon December 8, 2017. It was not mentioned whether the reentry was to betargeted or remain uncontrolled.
It is a well known scientific principle thatany measurement or prediction will always have an associated uncertainty. In the case of most reentering objects, the uncertainty associated with predicting reentry location is extremely large and precludes an accurate location prediction until shortly before the reentry has occured.In general, it is much easier to predict an accurate reentry time rather than an accurate reentry location. Based on Tiangong-1s inclination, however, we can confidently say that this object will reenter somewhere between 43 North and43 South latitudes.
Due to the uncertainties involved it is very difficult to predict the exact timing of a space objects reentry. There are several sources of uncertainty which include: 1) significant variation in the density of the upper layers of the atmosphere, 2) significant uncertainties in the orientation of the space craft over time, uncertainties in some physical properties of the spacecraft such as the exact mass and material composition, and 3) uncertainties in the exact location and speed of the space station. When aggregated, these factors translate into a reentry timing uncertainty that is roughly 20% of the time to go (the time between the date of the prediction and the predicted date of reentry).
It is highly unlikely that debris from this reentry will strike any person or significantly damage any property.The only known case of space debris striking a person is Ms.Lottie Williams of Tulsa, Oklahoma who was struck by a small piece of space debris in 1996 but was not harmed in any significant way.
As reentry gets closer, we are able to narrow possible reentry locations to a collection of specific ground tracks instead of broad regions of the globe. As the reentry time gets closer, the number of ground tracks will diminish until we are left with only one, and after that with only a portion of a single ground track. Areas not within the ground tracks are clear. The exact statistical likelihood of you or your property being struck by reentering debris is constantly changing. Potential reentry points and whether the final ground track is over inhabited or uninhabited areas will determine the risk to a specific location. Even so, the likelihood of any one person (i.e. YOU) being struck by debris is still far less than winning the Powerball Jackpot.
It is unlikelythat this is a controlled reentry. Although not declared officially, it is suspected that control of Tiangong-1 was lost and will not be regained before reentry.
No, no astronauts are currently on board Tiangong-1. The last manned mission departed from Tiangong-1 in June 2013.
It may be possible to see Tiangong-1 reentering depending on your location, the time of day, and visibility during reentry which will not be known until a few days prior to the event. A more detailed predicted reentry region will be provided a few days prior to the reentry time frame. Visiblyincandescent objectsfrom this reentry will likely last tens of seconds (up to a minute or more) in contrast with the vast majority of natural meteors which last mere seconds.
Depending on the time of day and cloud visibility, the reentry may appear as multiple bright streaks moving across the sky in the same direction. Due to the relatively large size of the object, it is expected that there will be many pieces reentering together, some of which may survive reentry and land on the Earths surface. Some examplesof reentries can be found here: video 1, video 2.
Potentially,there may be a highly toxic and corrosive substance calledhydrazine on board the spacecraft that could survive reentry. For your safety, do not touch any debris you may find on the ground nor inhale vapors it may emit.
Yes. Contact CORDS at http://www.aerospace.org/cords/contacting-cords/ Please report your location and time of the sighting, a description of what you saw, and provide any images or videos you may have captured of the reentry.
No. The largest object to reenter is the Mir space station at 120,000 kg which reentered on 2001 March 23. In comparison, Tiangong-1 is only 8,500 kg. For further space debris reentry information, consult the table onthis page.
In the history of spaceflight, no known person has ever been harmed by reentering space debris. Only one person has ever been recorded as being hit by a piece of space debris and, fortunately, she was not injured.
Tiangong-1 Reentry Update
Tiangong-1 Captured via Telescope
Reentry Test Campaign Announcement
Basic Tiangong-1 background info
Official statement regarding Tiangong-1 telemetry ceasing
Official statement regarding Tiangong-1 reentry
Amateur satellite trackers claim Tiangong-1 likely uncontrolled
Controlled vs. uncontrolled reentries
General reentry info
New York Times
Reuters: Tiangong-1 is not out of control
Chinas Manned Space Program
See the rest here:
- Ball Aerospace Ships Ozone Mapping Instrument for Weather Satellite - PRNewswire - October 8th, 2020
- US Must Weigh Strategic Impacts Of Arming The Heavens: Aerospace - Breaking Defense - October 8th, 2020
- Park Aerospace Corp. Announces Date of Second Quarter Earnings Release and Conference Call - GlobeNewswire - October 8th, 2020
- Alestis Aerospace Selects Plataine's IIoT Solution to Optimize Their Brazilian Manufacturing Operation - PR Web - October 8th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Lightning Strike Protection Market Report 2020: COVID-19 Impact, Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysis, 2014-2019 & 2020-2025... - October 8th, 2020
- What's Trending in Aerospace - October 4, 2020 - Aviation Today - October 8th, 2020
- ERP software in Aerospace (Helicopter) Market Size, Growth Opportunities, Trends by Manufacturers, Regions, Application & Forecast to 2027 -... - October 8th, 2020
- Pandemic not slowing upward trajectory of Colorados aerospace industry, the nations second-largest - The Denver Post - October 8th, 2020
- This 12-year-old Georgia boy is a sophomore in college majoring in aerospace engineering - USA TODAY - October 8th, 2020
- Aerospace Lightning Strike Protection Market Share, Growth, Statistics, by Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - October 8th, 2020
- Educators try to answer the question: Will there be aerospace jobs in Washington? - knkx.org - October 8th, 2020
- The Aerospace Corp. Breaks Ground on R&D Center - WashingtonExec - October 8th, 2020
- Aerospace giant expands on Fore Business Park - The Business Desk - October 8th, 2020
- What Kind Of Shareholders Hold The Majority In Korea Aerospace Industries, Ltd.s (KRX:047810) Shares? - Simply Wall St - October 8th, 2020
- Starburst Aerospace announces expansion in India - SpaceNews - October 8th, 2020
- North American Aerospace Industries Announces New Development on Its Kinston, NC Aircraft Recycling Facility - AviationPros.com - October 8th, 2020
- Research on Aerospace Floor Panel (COVID-19) Market Business Strategy Analysis Report 2020-2026: The EnCore Group, Euro-Composites SA, The Gill... - October 8th, 2020
- Extreme High-Speed Laser Material Deposition Used in Aerospace Manufacturing - Novus Light Technologies Today - October 8th, 2020
- Aerospace Corporation breaks ground on $100M project - Colorado Springs Business Journal - October 8th, 2020
- What's Trending in Aerospace - August 9, 2020 - Aviation Today - August 10th, 2020
- Aerospace market set to touch double digit cagr | Raytheon, Stokvis Tapes, Rockwell Collins, GE Aviation & United Technologies Corporation,... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Fluid Conveyance Systems Market 2020 Analysis by Latest COVID19/CORONA Virus Impact with Market Positioning of Key Vendors: AIM... - August 10th, 2020
- Aerospace High Performance Alloys Market Projected to Show Strong Growth | Precision Castparts, Aperam, Haynes International - Chelanpress - August 10th, 2020
- Aerospace And Defense Telemetry Market 2020 financial overview of the players - The Daily Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- Israel Aerospace Industries reports its most profitable half-year in its history - Jewish News - August 10th, 2020
- Advanced Aerospace Materials Market Growth Analysis 2020 to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors Forecast to 2026 -... - August 10th, 2020
- 3D Printing In Aerospace And Defense Market Study Report (2020-2028), Competitive Analysis, Proposal Strategy, Potential Targets, Assessment And... - August 10th, 2020
- Military Aerospace Coatings Market Report 2020 | Industry Size, Share, Trend And Forecast Is A Professional And In-Depth Study By 2027 - Levee Report - August 10th, 2020
- ERP software in Aerospace (Helicopter) Industry Market Size, Application, Revenue, Types, Trends in Future, Scope to 2025 - Express Journal - August 10th, 2020
- TT Electronics receives grant to further aerospace innova... - evertiq.com - August 10th, 2020
- In memoriam: Kwang-Tzu Yang, professor emeritus of aerospace and mechanical engineering - ND Newswire - August 10th, 2020
- 1.2m CNC investment helps TGM move up the aerospace and defence supply chain - Bdaily - August 10th, 2020
- Stripped F-117 Nighthawk Arrives at Hill Aerospace Museum Direct From Tonopah - The Drive - August 10th, 2020
- Commercial Aerospace Coatings Market Research Report by Type, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - GlobeNewswire - August 7th, 2020
- What's Trending in Aerospace - August 2, 2020 - Aviation Today - August 7th, 2020
- Howmet Aerospace eagerly awaits return of Boeing jets - Pittsburgh Business Times - August 7th, 2020
- UK Aerospace Research and Technology Program Awards Funding to TT and Other Members of the AEPEC Project in Effort to Foster the Nation's Competitive... - August 7th, 2020
- Aerospace Tubes Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - August 7th, 2020
- Aerospace Fan Cases Market 2020: What are the new innovations by companies? -Top Key GE Aviation, Magellan Aerospace - The Daily Chronicle - August 7th, 2020
- Arconic, ATI struggle with sales in the aerospace industry - Pittsburgh Business Times - August 7th, 2020
- Why Mega-Cap Defense Stocks May Be the Best Idea for the Rest of 2020 - 24/7 Wall St. - August 7th, 2020
- Aerospace Winglets Market 2020: What are the new innovations by companies? -Top Key FACC AG, Korean Air Aerospace Division - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- COMPOSITES IN THE AEROSPACE INTERIOR MARKET GLOBAL GROWTH BY 2020 WITH LEADING COMPANIES- BASF SE, SOLVAY SA, GURIT HOLDING AG, SGL GROUP Owned -... - August 7th, 2020
- Aerospace Thermoplastics Market Size: Opportunities, Current Trends And Industry Analysis by 2028 | BASF SE, SABIC, Solvay SA, Victrexplc - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Aerospace MRO Market SWOT Analysis by Size, Status and Growth Opportunities to 2025 - Owned - August 7th, 2020
- Global 3D Printing in Aerospace and Defence Market 2020 Growth Analysis, Forecast 2024 By 3D Systems Corporation, the ExOne Company, Stratasys,... - August 7th, 2020
- Check Out These Cool Shots Of A Disassembled F-117 Nighthawk Arriving At Hill Aerospace Museum - The Aviationist - August 7th, 2020
- Aerospace Industry Market: Manufacturer's Revenue All Realized Positive Growth: GE Aviation, Airbus, Raytheon - Press Release - Digital Journal - August 7th, 2020
- TAE Aerospace a global aerospace company, rely on us to ... - August 7th, 2020
- Aerospace Crew Seats Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Chelanpress - August 7th, 2020
- Element and FRISA strengthen relationship - Aerospace Testing International - August 7th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Military Aerospace Coatings Market New Business Opportunities and Investment Research Report 2027 | PPG Industries, Inc.,... - August 7th, 2020
- Aerospace Tire Market 2020 - Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - GroundAlerts.com - August 7th, 2020
- The 2020s will be a make or break decade for the future of aviation - Aerospace Testing International - August 7th, 2020
- cyber information warfare reorganizations - Military & Aerospace Electronics - August 7th, 2020
- Researchers test flapping wing ornithopter drone - Aerospace Testing International - August 7th, 2020
- Global Aerospace & Defense Composite Ducting Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With... - August 6th, 2020
- UltraFlex using induction heaters to preheat Inconel for the aerospace industry - Robotics Tomorrow - August 6th, 2020
- North Korean hackers target defense and aerospace industry in 'Operation North Star' - SiliconANGLE - August 6th, 2020
- Singapore aerospace industry set to be hit by more retrenchments, as Covid-19 continues to batter travel demand - Malay Mail - August 6th, 2020
- Commercial Aerospace Landing Gear Market Key Players, Applications, Outlook, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Owned - August 6th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Thermoplastics Market Outlook Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast, 2025 - AlgosOnline - August 6th, 2020
- From Delft to orbit, with Dawn Aerospace - Innovation Origins - August 6th, 2020
- Global Aerospace and Defense Telemetry Market to generate huge revenue by 2025: BAE Systems (UK), Cobham (UK), Curtiss-Wright Corporation (US),... - August 6th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Composites Market 2020-2025 - Government Stimulus Packages for the Aerospace Industry Amid the COVID-19 Crisis is Driving Growth -... - August 6th, 2020
- Global Aerospace & Life Sciences Testing, Inspection, and Certification (TIC) Market to Surpass $59.3 Billion by 2027 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - August 6th, 2020
- Additive Flight Solutions gains AS9100D certification for its 3D printed aerospace parts - 3D Printing Industry - August 6th, 2020
- The Collapse of Healthcare in Peru - The Bullet - Socialist Project - August 4th, 2020
- Understanding Hezbollah's complex planning behind the events on Har Dov - The Jerusalem Post - August 4th, 2020
- The coronavirus pandemic and the growing mental health crisis - WSWS - August 4th, 2020
- Sanwo-Olu, the Governor who Empathises - THISDAY Newspapers - August 4th, 2020
- As trucking evolves, the pneumatic tire will likely play the same role it always has - Fleet Owner - August 4th, 2020
- The State and Local Stake in a Federal Digital-Commerce Tax - Governing - August 4th, 2020
- The Education Sector as an Engine for Inclusive Growth in Mauritania - Modern Diplomacy - August 4th, 2020
- More than 50 years of remarkable transition of ASEANPhnom Penh Post - The Phnom Penh Post - August 4th, 2020
- The 19th, a new nonprofit newsroom dedicated to women and politics, officially launches - Nieman Journalism Lab at Harvard - August 4th, 2020
- The day after tomorrow: Africas battle with Covid19 and the road ahead - Observer Research Foundation - August 4th, 2020
- Ravages of acute hunger will likely hit six in 10 in Zimbabwe - Modern Diplomacy - August 4th, 2020
- Impact Finance Bulletin: Tipping Point Fund makes first grants of $750k to influence US impact investing policy | The Social Enterprise Magazine -... - August 4th, 2020
- 'Individualisation Of Merit A Strategy To Justify Inequality' - IndiaSpend - August 4th, 2020