An article in the WSJ talks about how virtual travel could change the world with help from drones, VR and fast wireless networks. And even though drones might seem to be the best technology for deploying the cameras needed for digital teleportation, widespread use is likely to be years away.
Sarah Toth Stub writes for the Wall Street Journal that:
Proponents of digital teleportation are working to combine live virtual reality, drones and fast wireless networks to allow people to explore far-flung locales in real-time.
You strap on a slim, comfortable headset, pick up your controls and press a button. A drone takes off, whizzing down flooded city streets. Through the goggles, you see what the drone seesa crisp, live, 360-degree view of battered houses and uprooted trees. When you look down, you see whats below the drone. The full-color picture doesnt seize up; theres no latency. You are, essentially, digitally teleporting into the aftermath of a natural disaster.
At least, thats the goal. Digital teleportation, as the field is fancifully known, doesnt exist yet. But proponents of the technology, which some call live delivery, believe that in the coming years, a mix of virtual reality, fast wireless networks and machines like drones and rovers will allow people to immerse themselves in actual, far-flung environmentsin real time.
Since May, Israeli soldiers on the Gaza border have been using a drone system for surveillance, to search areas for explosive devices and enemy combatants, and to deflect flying objects sent by militants, according to the Israel Defense Forces. The drone transmits up to 130-degree, live footage to a pilots headset, allowing soldiers to explore dangerous areas without risking their safety.
Pairing live VR with drones is the next step. The technology partly comes from the small but growing world of professional drone racing. Pilots don goggles during races that give them a first-person view of the drones progress along the course. The system is difficult to learn; it takes the pilots full attention just to steer the drone. First-time fliers often crash, said Nicholas Horbaczewski, chief executive and founder of the Drone Racing League. Pilots often opt for flat, black-and-white footage because it has the quickest data-transmission rates, but it isnt detailed enough for military or other non-racing uses.
Still, startups are pushing ahead. For consumers, San Diego-based NewBeeDrone is working on a headset for use with first-person-view drones that comes with high-definition views. Its more of a proof-of-concept now, said Daryn Huang, the companys chief financial officer. But this shows people what it can be like to fly.
Still, the technological developments needed for useful, widespread teleportation by drone are likely years away, Mr. Chakareski said. Drones appear to be the best technology for deploying the cameras needed for digital teleportation, he said. But you have to completely redesign the process of gathering data and distributing data in order for VR to really deliver on its potential and have a societal impact.
You can read the entire article Virtual travel could change the world with help from drones, VR and wireless here [paywall].
If youd like to stay up to date with all the latest drone news, scoops, rumors and reviews, then follow us onTwitter,Facebook,YouTube,Instagram or sign up for our daily email newsletter, that goes out every weekday at 6 p.m. ET.
Buy your next drone directly from manufacturers, such asDJI,Parrot,Yuneec or retailers like Adorama, Amazon,B&H,BestBuy, DroneNerds or eBay. By using our links, we will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping DroneDJ grow!
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Subscribe to DroneDJ on YouTube for exclusive videos
- Cant Travel? Play These Games Instead During COVID-19 And Social Distancing - Forbes - March 21st, 2020
- Travel personalities reflect on how the coronavirus outbreak has changed their world - The Messenger - March 21st, 2020
- Remote Year, which helps you work while traveling the world, lays off 50% of staff - TechCrunch - March 21st, 2020
- WhatsApp Is at the Center of Coronavirus Response - WIRED - March 21st, 2020
- World's most expensive cities to live in - CNN - March 21st, 2020
- UK travel industry urges government action to forestall collapse of businesses - The Guardian - March 21st, 2020
- We can't travel, but we can take measures to preserve jobs in the tourism industry - World Bank Group - March 21st, 2020
- It's Hard to Believe How Empty the World's Top Tourist Destinations Are Due to Coronavirus Until You See These Photos - Travel+Leisure - March 21st, 2020
- Global action vital to save world's tourism industry: Saudi minister - Arabnews - March 21st, 2020
- 16 Of The Cheapest Travel Destinations Around The World - World Atlas - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus bailout: Airlines are asking the US government for $50 billion in aid - Vox.com - March 21st, 2020
- When Are Cruise Lines Around the World Expected To Resume Service? - Cruise Critic - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: April could be a month with almost zero flights as airlines axe more routes - The Independent - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus canceled this family's Disney trip. They made better memories at home - CNN - March 21st, 2020
- During a pandemic, what does being the world's happiest country mean? - CNN - March 21st, 2020
- Round 2: The Most Instagrammable Hotel In The World 2020 - Luxury Travel Advisor - March 21st, 2020
- Reporter's Notebook: World Travel in the Time of Coronavirus - VOA News - March 17th, 2020
- More than 80 countries have imposed travel bans to curb the new coronavirus - The Economist - March 17th, 2020
- World Travel Holdings' Brands Take Home 10 Statuettes at the 2020 Travvy Awards - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- Offutt cancels military travel and leave, but says it has seen no confirmed cases of COVID-19 - Omaha World-Herald - March 17th, 2020
- Why the world is waking up to Vietnamese coffee - CNN - March 17th, 2020
- New Inspirational Adventure Journeys from TCS World Travel - Arts and Collections International - March 17th, 2020
- Vote Now: The Most Instagrammable Hotel In The World 2020 - Luxury Travel Advisor - March 17th, 2020
- Travel bans, market chaos: Dizzying reaction to coronavirus spread around the world - TribLIVE - March 17th, 2020
- Live Coronavirus Updates and Coverage - The New York Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Latest COVID-19 Policies From The Travel Corporation Brands - Luxury Travel Advisor - March 17th, 2020
- My dream cruise is in tatters thanks to coronavirus here's how it feels to be stranded at sea - Telegraph.co.uk - March 17th, 2020
- Virus Brings New Travel Restrictions, Lockdowns And Closures - Yeshiva World News - March 17th, 2020
- Travel Brands, Remember Who You Really Serve The Traveling Public - Skift - March 17th, 2020
- Customized travel Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with Top Key Players like TCS World Travel, DuVine Cycling & Adventure Co,... - March 17th, 2020
- Corona virus affecting the tourism industry worldwide - Travel Daily News International - March 17th, 2020
- TUI suspends vast majority of travel operations | News - Breaking Travel News - March 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Virgin Atlantic asks staff to take eight weeks of unpaid leave - Sky News - March 17th, 2020
- U.S. Will Drop Limits on Virus Testing, Pence Says - The New York Times - March 4th, 2020
- Buy the World Travel Plug Adapter along with 6 Attachments only For $24.99 - iLounge - March 4th, 2020
- Second Death From Virus Is Reported in the U.S. - The New York Times - March 4th, 2020
- Travel - How the humble potato changed the world - BBC News - March 4th, 2020
- The tourism legacy of the Olympic Games - CNN - March 4th, 2020
- Mexico to Host Travel and Tourism Summit Amid Coronavirus Outbreak - Latin Post - March 4th, 2020
- The world's largest island is finally drawing tourists - CNBC - March 4th, 2020
- World's leading tourism expert warns of overreaction in coronavirus battle - Famagusta Gazette - March 4th, 2020
- After My Abusive Relationship, I Couldn't Leave The House. Travel Opened My World Up Again. - HuffPost - March 4th, 2020
- Planning summer holidays? Think about coronavirus - Times of India - March 4th, 2020
- The holiday destinations around the world which have no cases of coronavirus - The Sun - March 4th, 2020
- Travel ban set to be extended as fears grow over the 'new Hubei' - The Sydney Morning Herald - March 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus: six more test positive in NSW after travelling from Asia and Iran - The Guardian - March 4th, 2020
- Hostelworld shares fall as it warns of 3.5m coronavirus blow - City A.M. - March 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Airports around the world empty as travel industry suffers - The Independent - March 4th, 2020
- Travel Retail Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - March 4th, 2020
- Then and now: How coronavirus turned the world's busiest cities into ghost towns - Telegraph.co.uk - March 4th, 2020
- 5 of the world's smartest cities - World First Travel Insurance - March 4th, 2020
- Traveling In 2020 And The Coronavirus (COVID-19) - ADVrider - March 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus Travel Advisories: Map Shows CDC's Areas Of Concern : Goats and Soda - NPR - February 29th, 2020
- Empty airports around the world show coronavirus affected air travel - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- The travel industry is suffering its worst shock since 9/11 because of coronavirus - KTVZ - February 29th, 2020
- The coronavirus has grounded Chinese tourists. The global travel industry may not recover for years - CNN - February 29th, 2020
- There are $4 flights in China but dont expect many other coronavirus airfare deals - MarketWatch - February 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus is threatening to end the world air-travel boom - CNBC - February 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates live: 1st death in U.S. as outbreak spreads in other countries - NBC News - February 29th, 2020
- THIRDHOME partners with Major Sports Alumni Associations to offer former players access to world travel - PRNewswire - February 29th, 2020
- Great Day TV: The Strongest Woman in the World is from Indy - WISHTV.com - February 29th, 2020
- Climate activists just blocked plans to expand Heathrow, one of the world's biggest airports - CNN - February 29th, 2020
- Less-Costly Ways to Reduce the Harm of COVID-19 Without Travel-and-Immigration-Bans - Cato Institute - February 29th, 2020
- 7 things I never travel without - CNET - February 29th, 2020
- Global Leisure Travel Market, Forecast to 2026 - Mobile Applications, Big Data Analytics, and AI Evolving Together Amidst Proliferating Tourism... - February 29th, 2020
- Industry chiefs to meet at World Aviation Festival - TTG - February 29th, 2020
- Worlds largest travel fair, ITB, cancelled in Berlin - The Thaiger - February 29th, 2020
- Travel: Has Richard Branson launched the world's coolest cruise? - HeraldScotland - February 29th, 2020
- WITTI to Honor Top Women in Travel with Travel Awards Dinner, Gives Voice to Pearson Findings on Gender Mix in the C-Suite - Yahoo Finance - February 20th, 2020
- The world through the eyes of one photographer - CNN - February 20th, 2020
- What the world's most expensive Irish whiskey tastes like - CNN - February 20th, 2020
- What in the World: President Trump's Travel Ban 2.0 - CNN - February 20th, 2020
- Travel Green: Discover Some Of The Worlds Best Eco-Friendly Hotels - Forbes - February 20th, 2020
- Miami Beach Debuts "Why I Love Miami Beach" Social Video Series to Show Why the Destination is Like No Other Place in the World - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2020
- Industrial Tourism Market Global Insights and Trends 2020 to 2026 - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 20th, 2020
- Travel between Torres Strait Islands and PNG banned due to fears over coronavirus - The Guardian - February 20th, 2020
- What trends will be shaping the African travel sector? - Africa Outlook Magazine - February 20th, 2020
- Myanmar Tourism Gets a Second Chance: Is It Ready for It? - Skift - February 20th, 2020
- Why Sicily deserves a place on your travel wish list this year - Travel Daily News International - February 20th, 2020
- Highland Park rolls out exclusive Single Cask bottling for Heathrow and World Duty Free - DFNIonline.com - February 20th, 2020