STEAMBOAT SPRINGS Waverly Gebhardt didnt know she had the chance to go to Finland for the World Junior Championships until a week and a half before. She knew she was an alternate on the womens team and when a team member backed out, Gebhardt was asked if she wanted to make the trip. She and fellow Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club skier Wally Magill made the journey to Europe to compete in the FIS cross-country junior world championships and came home with some solid results.
Mentally preparing to race was tricky, and mentally making the decision to travel right now, that was a hard decision to make, Gebhardt said. The U.S. team and the crew there we were traveling with and the organization in Finland, they had all taken the right steps. They wouldnt have put the event on if it wasnt COVID safe. I felt good about that. Ultimately skiing is what we do. I couldnt pass up the opportunity.
At 19, Gebhardt is in her last year of eligibility for the junior championships. That was a factor in her decision to attend the event in Vuokatti, Finland. She said international travel felt a lot safer than domestic travel, since everyone traveling has to have a negative test. She also enjoyed that the international terminals and flights were far less crowded than domestic terminals.
Once in Finland, Gebhardt made the most of the long flight. In her first race, the sprint qualifiers, Gebhardt took 28th. That put her in the finals, which were sent out in heats, a format that she hadnt seen since last winter, before the pandemic. Gebhardt thrived, speeding to a 25th-place finish.
I was really happy with my sprint day, she said. That was sort of the race I was going there really fired up for.
A few days later, Gebhardt and Magill competed in the 5K and 10K freestyle race. Magill took 68th, just over three minutes behind the winner. Gebhardt finished the 5K in 51st. Although there were 50 skiers between her and the victor, she was less than two minutes behind the winner.
Magill was on track to finish in the 30s, but he crashed, and his binding disconnected from his ski entirely, leaving him scrambling to reattach it while the field passed him and his momentum halted.
In the 15K classic race two days later, Gebhardt earned 53rd. Magill finished the 30K classic race in 59th.
That last race, he basically said it was the worst race of his life, said Josh Smullin, SSWSC U20 head cross-country coach. Something went wrong in his body. It just wasnt working right.
At 18, Magill was among the youngest field of competitors and will have two more years to improve upon his results, should he make the team again.
The World Junior Championships are the most competitive races between athletes younger than 20 from across the world.
They got a big experience, Smullin said. I think Waverly came away with one solid result, and Wally came away hungry for more.
All the while, Gebhardt was taking classes virtually at the University of Vermont, where shes studying neuroscience. In a normal year, Gebhardt would have flat out missed a weeks worth of in-person classes, but the online classes allowed her to keep up.
Shell continue taking classes on the computer for the next week while she self-isolates. When she returns to training with her team, shes focusing her sights on the NCAA championships in mid-March.
To reach Shelby Reardon, call 970-871-4253, email sreardon@SteamboatPilot.com or follow her on Twitter @ByShelbyReardon.
See original here:
- There's Something Strange About How These Stars Are Moving, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- Manslaughter Case Has a Strange Twist: Tesla That Killed Couple Was on Autopilot - November 4th, 2022
- Greta Thunberg Says UN Climate Conference Is a Scam and She's Not Attending - November 4th, 2022
- NASA Sets Launch Date for Mission to $10 Quintillion Asteroid - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Use Actual Lunar Soil Sample to Create Rocket Fuel - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Found a Way to Control How High Mice Got on Cocaine - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Spot "Stripped, Pulsating Core" of Star Caused By Horrific Accident - November 4th, 2022
- Twitter Working on Plan to Charge Users to Watch Videos - November 4th, 2022
- Huge Drone Swarm to Form Giant Advertisement Over NYC Skyline - November 4th, 2022
- US Gov to Crack Down on "Bossware" That Spies On Employees' Computers - November 4th, 2022
- Elon Musk Meeting With Advertisers, Begging Them Not to Leave Twitter - November 4th, 2022
- Cats May Be Tampering With Crime Scenes, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- China Plans to Send Monkeys to Space Station to Have Sex With Each Other - November 4th, 2022
- Hackers Just Took Down One of the World's Most Advanced Telescopes - November 4th, 2022
- Chinese Spaceplane Releases Mystery Object Into Orbit - November 4th, 2022
- AOC Says Her Twitter Account Broke After She Made Fun of Elon Musk - November 4th, 2022
- That "Research" About How Smartphones Are Causing Deformed Human Bodies Is SEO Spam, You Idiots - November 4th, 2022
- Jeff Bezos' Housekeeper Says She Had to Climb Out the Window to Use the Bathroom - November 4th, 2022
- Gov. Edwards and Economic Development Officials to Travel to Netherlands and France to Further Develop Water Management and Economic Partnerships -... - August 5th, 2022
- Traveler Story: Travel And Culture With Doctor And World Traveler Road2Culturedom - Travel Noire - August 5th, 2022
- Increasing Launch of Travel Apps to Boost the U.S and - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2022
- Mt. Vernon students travel to Scotland for world's largest theatre festival - MDJOnline.com - August 5th, 2022
- Why Montego Bay Is The Trendiest Destination For 2022 - Travel Off Path - August 5th, 2022
- MCEC supports social housing - Travel And Tour World - August 5th, 2022
- Some UAE tourists are looking for alternatives - Travel And Tour World - August 5th, 2022
- Spain sees 7.5 million visitors arrival in June - Travel And Tour World - August 5th, 2022
- CDFG President Charles Chen to address The Trinity Forum in Singapore as L'Oral Travel Retail becomes Platinum Partner : The Moodie Davitt Report -... - August 5th, 2022
- Series of flight cancellations, but why at all? - Travel And Tour World - August 5th, 2022
- How Heat Waves are Changing Tourism in Europe - The New York Times - August 5th, 2022
- MATTA announces Penang as MATTA online official partner - Travel And Tour World - August 5th, 2022
- Cannabis cafe welcomes tourists in Thailand - Travel And Tour World - August 5th, 2022
- Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre welcomes the first ever Australian DragExpo - Travel And Tour World - August 5th, 2022
- Atlanta named one of the best travel destinations in the world for 2022 - FOX 5 Atlanta - November 13th, 2021
- Hilton Doha honoured by World Travel Awards - Breaking Travel News - November 13th, 2021
- International travel will get easier, but restrictions will remain - The Economist - November 13th, 2021
- An emotional journey: Families reunite in U.S. with tears, balloons as COVID travel ban ends - Reuters - November 13th, 2021
- Global travel insurance market could be worth $35 billion by 2027 - ITIJ - November 13th, 2021
- Reading your way around the world with a difference - Sydney Morning Herald - November 13th, 2021
- As the Biden Administration Lifts Travel Bans on Visitors to the U.S., Museums Hope It Will Boost Lagging Attendance - artnet News - November 13th, 2021
- Maryville College freshmen travel 'Around the World in 50 Minutes' - Maryville Daily Times - November 13th, 2021
- Train travel can be as quick, cheap and easy to book as flights. Here's how to get onboard. - Euronews - November 13th, 2021
- Seeing the World Through a Grain of Rice - The New York Times - November 13th, 2021
- World Travel Holdings Offering Up to $1 Million in Commercial Loans to its Network of Travel Agency Franchise Owners as Part of a Financial Assistance... - February 17th, 2021
- World Travel: An Irreverent Guide, Anthony Bourdains last, posthumous book, to be released on April 20 - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Anthony Bourdains Posthumous Travel Guide Will Be Available This Spring - Delish - February 17th, 2021
- Showing Girls the World With Travel, Service & Media - WMUK - February 17th, 2021
- Travel The World With Wine, No Passport Necessary: New Zealand Edition - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- Apples official World Travel Adapter Kit returns to Amazon low of $25 - 9to5Toys - February 17th, 2021
- Colombia was accepted into the World Travel and Tourism Council - Travel Daily News International - February 17th, 2021
- Uzakrota Global Travel Awards has announced the global winners for the Travel and Tourism industry - 2020 - Travel Daily News International - February 17th, 2021
- Animal Crossing Players Are Using Gulliver Items in SUPER Creative Builds - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 17th, 2021
- Around the world with Ryan Jacobson: Westerly native's travel memoir takes readers to 12 countries - The Westerly Sun - February 17th, 2021
- Leisure Travel Market: What most excites you about the possibilities/opportunities hidden within industrial data? KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - February 17th, 2021
- The age of the wheelie-bag - What will travel look like after the pandemic? | Special report - The Economist - February 17th, 2021
- Hope on the horizon: Global tourism body calls for end to travel bans - The South African - February 17th, 2021
- ITB Berlin NOW: Tours and activities as a way out of the crisis - Travel Daily News International - February 17th, 2021
- One Billion Fewer International Arrivals Make 2020 Worst Year in Tourism Industry - SchengenVisaInfo.com - SchengenVisaInfo.com - February 10th, 2021
- International Tourism back to 48%, 74% or 96% in 2023? - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - February 10th, 2021
- The Nevisian Kiss on the Island of Love - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - February 10th, 2021
- Will Vaccines Be Required in Cruising and How Will that Impact Sales? - Travel Agent - February 10th, 2021
- Disjointed restrictions are tripping up a travel recovery and it may be getting worse - The Dallas Morning News - February 10th, 2021
- WTTC Says Governments Should Abandon The Concept Of 'High-Risk Countries' And Instead Focus On 'High-Risk Travellers' - Hospitality Net - February 10th, 2021
- Travel in a "Post-Covid-19" World and How Businesses are Preparing for it - ChicagoNow - February 10th, 2021
- CHTA: Economic Survival Tied to Health Safety and Responsible Tourism - Travel Agent - February 10th, 2021
- 53 Black founders and investors to watch in 2021 - PitchBook News & Analysis - February 10th, 2021
- The biggest post-pandemic challenge in travel - Travel Weekly - February 10th, 2021
- Sharify makes it super simple to rediscover your citys social side - TechCrunch - February 10th, 2021
- Universal teams with Big Hit and YG Entertainment to invest in global live-streaming platform - Music Business Worldwide - February 10th, 2021
- Around the globe, virus cancels spring travel for millions - The Associated Press - February 10th, 2021
- The Langham Hotels in the US and UK get top recognition - Travel & Tourism News Middle East - February 10th, 2021
- Salesforce declares the 9-to-5 workday dead, will let some employees work remotely from now on - The Verge - February 10th, 2021
- Hotel openings around the world, Travel News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- 16 Really Good Things That Happened in the Travel World in 2020 - Hospitality Net - January 5th, 2021
- A Mass. beach just ranked among the top 25 island beaches in the world - Boston.com - January 5th, 2021
- Jim Cramer: 10 Investment Themes I Like in 2021 - RealMoney - January 5th, 2021
- Travel 2021: What will be on the itinerary once vaccination opens up the world? - The Financial Express - January 5th, 2021
- Travel to New Zealand during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- Playing the Green Lottery: Life Inside Colombias Emerald Mines - The New York Times - January 5th, 2021
- Traveling to Spain during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021