There are less than 100 luxury spas worldwide with a Forbes' five-star rating. We chatted with the spa director, Verena Lasvigne-Fox, on the heels of the announcement.
Photography courtesy Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia
Theres no denying that Philly has seen a boom in alternative healing esoteric practices like crystal healing and reiki, tarot reading, and sound baths are on the rise. And, in this case, theyre literally on the rise: appearing in full force on the top of the Comcast Center, in what is now one of the most highly-rated luxury spas in the world.
Yep, thats right: The Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia and the Spa at Four Seasons just became the first hotel and spa in the city to receive a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star ranking. Theyll both be appearing in the upcoming Forbes 2021 guide. With this announcement, the Spa joins an elite group of less than 100 luxury spas across the world with a five-star rating. (Forbes Travel Guide has long been a global authority on luxury hospitality their inspectors travel the magnificent spaces of the world incognito, assessing restaurants, spas, and hotels based on 900 objective standards. Tough life.)
The new Four Seasons, helmed by general manager Ben Shank, opened its doors last August to great fanfare: It was called the most-anticipated hotel of the decade, and stands as highest-situated hotel in all of North America. It boasted fine dining from the likes of Greg Vernick and Jean-Georges Vongerichten oh, and a spa way, way up in the air it sits high above the honking and jaywalking of Philly streets, perched on the 57th floor, with an infinity-edge pool and 700 pounds of healing crystals concealed in its walls.
The luxury-meets-New-Age spa design plan came about based on a vision from Verena Lasvigne-Fox, the senior director of the spa. She was born in Germany, speaks three languages, and has done stints at tony Four Seasons hotels in Paris, Seychelles, and Marrakech. In short, she has a practiced eye for trends with staying power, which is probably why its not just the expected silky soft robes, expert body and facial treatments, and deftly curated lounge areas that youll find here though those are all present, too. Instead, The Four Seasons Spa is a whole vibe, man. The crystals, by the hundreds, are not only invisibly embedded in the walls, but a common thread on the menu, with signature treatments focused around the purportedly therapeutic gemstones.
We chatted with world-traveling spa expert Lasvigne-Fox on the heels of the award to find out more about therapeutic crystals, luxury service, what makes her spa here in Philly such a knockout and how shes running things during COVID-19.
Crystals in the walls of the Four Seasons Spa; spa director Verena Lasvigne-Fox. | Photography courtesy of Four Seasons.
Phillys spa scene has been expanding over the last several decades. What makes the Four Seasons Spa a unique experience?
Certainly the location on the 57th floor the stunning view of Philadelphias North, East and South sides. We have an amazing indoor Infinity Edge pool. Theres a 30-foot high ceiling. Then, of course, theres our crystal theme. We have over 700 pounds of crystals embedded into our walls that spread positive energy and vibes throughout our floor. They were placed there by our crystal healer, Ms. Rashia Bell. Shes a native Philadelphian and a previous Pennsylvania Ballet dancer, and also works in our New York location.She re-energizes the space every six months to make sure that the crystals are activated again. She also provides energy healing services to our guests.
The crystal vision speaks to our time people are very compelled by alternative methods of healing. I think its a smart incorporation into a luxury spa like this. How did that vision come about?
I came up with the crystal theme, and then I reached out to others to help make this a meaningful concept. The idea of the crystals in a wall was really born between Rashia Bell and I. I think there was an authentic wish to create something that made sense with the location. Were on top of the Comcast Technology Center that actually uses crystals than you can think of microchips, phones there was clearly this balance to strike between high-tech and low-tech. The choice of crystals clearly was justified by the location. It was logical for me.
A sound bath session at the Four Seasons Spa. | Photography courtesy of Four Seasons.
Crystals and sage-burning at the Four Seasons Spa. | Photography courtesy of Four Seasons.
A treatment room at the Four Seasons Spa. | Photography courtesy Four Seasons.
How does this theme play out in the treatments?
We have seven treatment rooms named after specific crystals like citrine and amethyst, and then in each room, a crystal singing bowl that starts each treatment. Its played to activate and harmonize the crystals that are in the walls of that room. We have signature treatments like a crystal oil massage. At the end of those treatments, the guest leaves with a crystal, to take this moment home with them. We have a relaxation lounge with a set of calming soothing stones, like rose quartz, moonstone, and green and blue calcite.
What else will visitors notice that stands out while visiting the spa?
The spa also contains a fitness center, relaxation lounge with zero gravity chairs, a hair and nail salon, dry sauna, and steam room. We offer a variety of treatments, and a wide-ranging menu of facials designed for darker skin tones by Dr. Barbara Sturm like the 90-minute Super Rejuvenating Facial. (Note: Allfacials are currently on hold due to COVID-19 precautions.) I am also proud of our lifestyle boutique. We work together with different jewelry brands and a brand that does leather handbags from Italy she is very exclusive. People love to shop here, because of the offers we have you can not find somewhere else in the city. Our relaxation lounge is stunning. The wave lounger in our relaxation lounge overlooking South Philadelphias cityscape feature a sleek, zero gravity design with the manufacturers (Living Earth Crafts) renowned Strata memory cushioning system.
Youve worked all over the world. What is it like managing a spa in Philadelphia, as opposed to Marrakech or Paris?
Im German, and my eleven years in Paris for my first employment it was such a refined hotel. It develops your eyes for details and your taste for refinement and your knowledge on refinement and both physically connection with guests and experience. I think that was clearly an important milestone in my career. Marrakech was a totally different experience; I just love the way of life in that country. The craftsmanship of the locals was just outstanding. It was a very inspiring place to be for two yearsand Philadelphia I love it here. I love how open and heart-warming people are. Its amazing to see how vast the city is.
See a video of Rashia Bell explaining the crystal healing properties in the video below:
The Forbes award is a huge honor. What does it mean for you, and for the spa?
Theres not a higher recognition that you can get today in the travel industry. Obviously were very humbled by this honor, especially after not even a year after the opening. Forbes Travel Guide is the gold standard for service, and weve worked towards best-in-class service, which is always our goal. We have very diligently selected our team members from the attendant to the receptionist. For me, this just confirms that what were doing is at the level where we naturally wanted to be.
How has COVID-19 changed the way you operate the spa? What precautions are being taken so guests feel safe?
We work alongside international experts to inform our health and safety decisions during the COVID-19 pandemic as we focus onstrengthening our already stringent health and safety measuresthrough our newLeadWithCareprogram. Our team has been trained to ensure that there is cleanliness and safety throughout the spa with highly specific COVID-19 disinfecting and sanitizing protocols and procedures. We are in line with state orders; we have capacity limitations; we also wear a mask throughout the entire guest experience including doing treatments. We offer the same service, same amenities, but now they are upon request, versus being available for self-service a critical part of my team is not changing who we are and our service level.
The infinity pool at the Spa at Four Seasons. | Photography courtesy of Four Seasons.
The infinity pool at the Spa at Four Seasons. | Photography courtesy of Four Seasons.
Lounge area at the Four Seasons Spa. | Photography courtesy of Four Seasons.
The Spa at the Four Seasons is open on the 57th floor of the Comcast Technology Center, 1 N 19th Street. You can book your visit here.
Read more from the original source:
- Hotel openings around the world, Travel News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- 16 Really Good Things That Happened in the Travel World in 2020 - Hospitality Net - January 5th, 2021
- A Mass. beach just ranked among the top 25 island beaches in the world - Boston.com - January 5th, 2021
- Jim Cramer: 10 Investment Themes I Like in 2021 - RealMoney - January 5th, 2021
- Travel 2021: What will be on the itinerary once vaccination opens up the world? - The Financial Express - January 5th, 2021
- Travel to New Zealand during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- Playing the Green Lottery: Life Inside Colombias Emerald Mines - The New York Times - January 5th, 2021
- Traveling to Spain during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- How four of this year's Transformers helped the world's biggest banks surviveand thrive... - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Travel to Antarctica during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- The cauldrons of gold theory of media and startups - TechCrunch - January 5th, 2021
- Tracing the steps of a fantastic voyage, part 2 - SF Gate - January 5th, 2021
- Discovery+ enters the streaming wars with a big bet on reality TV - CNBC - January 5th, 2021
- Epic Games buys enormous shopping mall, will convert it to global HQ - Polygon - January 5th, 2021
- Where the President Got His Lies About Georgia - Slate - January 5th, 2021
- World War 3: Israel told dont underestimate Irans weapons as tensions soar - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- China branded 'greatest threat to democracy and freedom since WW2 by US spy chief - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- China THREAT as US intelligence chief warns Bidens team targeted amid trade tensions - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- Boris must act now before its too late! Navy chief calls for UK to stand up to China - Express - December 5th, 2020
- Ivanka Trump blasted over India intervention as POTUS set to leave White House - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- SAIS students from around the world travel to Italy for in-person instruction - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - October 29th, 2020
- New World, New Duties: Creating Tomorrows Travel, Today - Worth - October 29th, 2020
- These destinations were overwhelmed by tourists. Here's how they're doing now - CNN - October 29th, 2020
- Villas of Distinction Recognized with Cond Nast Traveler's 2020 Readers' Choice Award in Villas Category - Benzinga - October 29th, 2020
- Trending Now: Sports Tourism Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts - Aerospace Journal - October 29th, 2020
- Where Wes Anderson films 'accidentally' come to life - The Guardian - October 29th, 2020
- Beachfront Residences at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort Open November 1 - Luxury Travel Advisor - October 29th, 2020
- Tourism and Agriculture Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - TechnoWeekly - October 29th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on the Hospitality, Travel, and Leisure Sector - Programming Insider - October 29th, 2020
- Africas year of zero: a special report on the future of wildlife tourism - Financial Times - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Is self-catering the best option? - World First Travel Insurance - October 29th, 2020
- From Lusaka to the world: why travel holds the key to economic recovery - themastonline.com - October 29th, 2020
- TCS World Travel Announces Dates for Its First All-Inclusive Luxury Expeditions On Ground-Breaking New Airbus A321neo Private Jet - Business Wire - October 14th, 2020
- Hacienda Tres Ros is a Strong Candidate in Three 2020 World Travel Awards Categories - PR Web - October 14th, 2020
- Peru, Bahamas and Puerto Rico Added to WTTC's Safe Travels List - TravelPulse - October 14th, 2020
- Maldives bags 8 nominations at World Travel Awards - The Edition - October 14th, 2020
- Aircraft Interiors Expo (AIX) And World Travel Catering & Onboard Services Expo (WTCE) Announce They Will Bring the Industry Together in Hamburg... - October 14th, 2020
- WTTC has a plan to save the travel sector - Travel Weekly - October 14th, 2020
- Short's Travel Signs with Deem to Offer An Additional Travel Booking Solution for Clients - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel insurance proposition enhanced by Zurich - ITIJ - October 14th, 2020
- The world's busiest airports -- and how far they've fallen - CNN - October 14th, 2020
- This is why travel will be better post-pandemic - Traveller - October 14th, 2020
- Is cow hugging the world's new wellness trend? - BBC News - October 14th, 2020
- Disney World attendance to stay capped; Disneyland reopening 'not much of a negotiation,' CEO says - USA TODAY - October 14th, 2020
- Author and World Traveler Illustrates Exploration of Europe and the Challenges he Faced in New Book - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel Alert: Covid-19 Cases Are Back To July Levels, And Rising Fast - Forbes - October 14th, 2020
- The traveler who spent a month working as a porter on Mount Everest - CNN - October 14th, 2020
- Expedia Modernized Operations on One of the World's Fastest-Moving IT Stacks - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Experiential Travels Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 14th, 2020
- How One Travel Advisor Gets Creative to Stay Engaged with Clients - Travel Market Report - October 14th, 2020
- New York City named one of world's top ten best walking cities - Travel Daily - October 14th, 2020
- Lonely Planet's new Ultimate Travel List reveals the world's unmissable travel experiences - Lonely Planet Travel News - October 8th, 2020
- President Trump positive is a red alert for World Travel and Tourism - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - October 8th, 2020
- 4 Travelers on Life Around the World: Women Who Travel Podcast - Cond Nast Traveler - October 8th, 2020
- The world's 10 coolest neighborhoods, according to Time Out - CNN - October 8th, 2020
- After six months, Germany eases world travel restrictions - The Tribune India - October 8th, 2020
- Travel agents wait for the world to reopen from COVID shutdowns; heres how theyre staying afloat with trave - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- The world of travel is (slowly) reopening | Opinion - ECM Publishers - October 8th, 2020
- Amazon Prime's Global Child "Travel with Purpose" & Netflix's Down to Earth with Zac Efron bring hope to audiences through a new breed... - October 8th, 2020
- This hotel was named the best in Boston and among the top in the world - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- Is One of the Most Overtouristed Cities in the World Better Off Without Them? - Fodor's Travel - October 8th, 2020
- New Zealand passport is now the most powerful in the world; India secures 58th position - Happytrips - October 8th, 2020
- Big plans from Small Luxury Hotels of the World - Travel Weekly - October 3rd, 2020
- Trending News: Customized travel Market Overview and Forecast Report 2020-2026 Top players: TCS World Travel, DuVine Cycling & Adventure Co,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Australia-New Zealand travel bubble to partially open within two weeks - The Guardian - October 3rd, 2020
- Ski, Party, Seed a Pandemic: The Travel Rules That Let Covid-19 Take Flight - The New York Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Which Countries Did Worse In The Deadly Summer Of Tourism? - Forbes - October 3rd, 2020
- New WTTC Campaign Highlights Social Benefits of Travel & Tourism - Hotel Business - October 3rd, 2020
- Worlds Best Islands: Why Portugals Terceira Belongs On Your Travel Wish List - Forbes - October 3rd, 2020
- When Star Wars Rebels brought back Mortis and introduced time travel [Jabba the Pod 3.13] - SYFY WIRE - October 3rd, 2020
- Dream Vacations Lift and Shifts National Conference Aboard Celebrity Apex to 2021; This Years Conference will be Virtual - Franchising.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Tratok and Hotel Data Cloud Sign Agreement to Restart Travel Industry Through Blockchain Powered Technology and Artificial Intelligence Enabled... - October 3rd, 2020
- How You Can Help Animal Shelters Around the World During COVID - Fodor's Travel - October 3rd, 2020
- Panama is reopening to tourists from all countries in October - Lonely Planet Travel News - October 3rd, 2020
- Travel-Awards.Org to Host the Virtual Conference World Travel Summit 2020, Under the Theme "Travel - In The New Normal" - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Attend a Live, Interactive Virtual Oktoberfest Celebration This Year - TravelPulse - September 4th, 2020
- So you had a terrible vacation. Whose fault is that: The airline's? The hotel's? Or yours? - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- It's a new world of travel in MLS for the Galaxy and LAFC - Los Angeles Times - September 4th, 2020
- Staycationers are saving hotels and Airbnb from covid-19 - The Economist - September 4th, 2020
- Cerabino: In world of COVID-19 precautions, it's Florida, not Canada, that should be advocating solo sex - Palm Beach Post - September 4th, 2020