How to globe-trot and not lose on international banking transaction fees and exchange rates? TRAVEL UNION, a Lithuania-based company, has the answer. The Baltic Times Magazine met with RamanoKorneu, CEO of the company, to learn more.
What was the start of TRAVEL UNION?
Our project appeared in 2018 in response to the problems that currently exist in the travel industry when travellers use the services of classical banks and different loyalty programmes. Every year more and more people travel abroad (by 2020, there will be about 1.6 billion tourists in the world annually visiting foreign countries) and usually lose quite a lot of money on international transaction fees and exchange rates, not to mention awkward services. Moreover, many travellers rarely choosethe same travel agencies, stay in the same hotels, tend to use various flight options, resulting in millions of loyalty programme cards for hotels and airlines in their pocket or device. Quite often points earned by them just burn out before they can beused. Therefore, the decision, in which you have one card that allows you to pay everywhere without commissions, send money in different currencies and at the same time earn non-burning and widely-convertible travel loyalty points seemed very timely.
The real action started when the professionals in finance, tourism and IT gathered together. The combination of knowledge and experience gave birth to a great business model and product concept.
What do you believe makes your product particularly attractive?
Travel Union was planned not just as a mobile banking app for customers, but as a single ecosystem for travellers and travel partners. This model gives us the opportunity to offer our clients the lowest cost possible, the best travel offers in the market and at the same time to participate in our unified loyalty program #Time. Our loyalty program #Time is unique because the points are non-burning and can be converted into cash, great offers of our partners, and points of other loyalty programs - so it is a great incentive to use particularly our mobile banking app.
The main advantage of all our products, mobile banking, online banking for business - they are extremely convenient to use, money-saving and secure.
One of the key elements of our ecosystem is our own payment system, which will allow us to overcome the limitations of off-the shelf payment gateways(high sign-up costs and fees for every transaction, inability to customize and add new features, etc.)and which we will be able to offer as a product to our travel partners and other merchants.
Who is your average client?
Our mobile banking app is created for families with children, travellers, and busy people. They are tech-savvy and cost-conscious that is why they would rather choose a digital bank with a convenient and intuitive app offering basic services for free than a traditional bank.
Our remotely on-boarded kid's accounts and free payment cards with parental control will allow parents to teach their kids about money in an increasingly cashless society and will help in a family routine.In other words, we build the product according to our pain points and willingness to help other families, who usually experience the same problems raising kids.
From the corporate side our clients are companies of the travel industry: hotels, airlines, travel agencies, online marketplaces, excursion companies, duty free shops etc. In order to create a strong merchant network and ensure high processing volume we are going to offerthem all the benefits of a travel-specialised payment system.
Has the year 2019 been successful to TRAVEL UNION in terms of growth and what are you aiming at in 2020?
2019 was essential for the growth of our business we took a big step from the development of an innovative and unique concept and building a scalable technology-based business model towards a well-equipped and adequately-prepared business ventureready for launch.
Asfortechnologicalpartnership, in 2019 wesigned contracts with proven technology service providers offering high-tech solutions for fintech companies and created a well-tuned operating model.
In the beginning of 2020, the focus will be placed on pilot testing of the mobile application and on-line bank for legal entities to see how people use the product and make necessary adjustments.
The beginning of 2020 will also be marked by obtaining the Electronic Money Institution license in Lithuania and acquiring early customerstravel partners and travellers using a broad partners network. We aim toget as many as 50 thousand retail customers on board and over 100 of travel-related legal entities over the year. Weall see huge opportunities that we do not want to miss!
Read this article:
- Cant Travel? Play These Games Instead During COVID-19 And Social Distancing - Forbes - March 21st, 2020
- Travel personalities reflect on how the coronavirus outbreak has changed their world - The Messenger - March 21st, 2020
- Remote Year, which helps you work while traveling the world, lays off 50% of staff - TechCrunch - March 21st, 2020
- WhatsApp Is at the Center of Coronavirus Response - WIRED - March 21st, 2020
- World's most expensive cities to live in - CNN - March 21st, 2020
- UK travel industry urges government action to forestall collapse of businesses - The Guardian - March 21st, 2020
- We can't travel, but we can take measures to preserve jobs in the tourism industry - World Bank Group - March 21st, 2020
- It's Hard to Believe How Empty the World's Top Tourist Destinations Are Due to Coronavirus Until You See These Photos - Travel+Leisure - March 21st, 2020
- Global action vital to save world's tourism industry: Saudi minister - Arabnews - March 21st, 2020
- 16 Of The Cheapest Travel Destinations Around The World - World Atlas - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus bailout: Airlines are asking the US government for $50 billion in aid - Vox.com - March 21st, 2020
- When Are Cruise Lines Around the World Expected To Resume Service? - Cruise Critic - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: April could be a month with almost zero flights as airlines axe more routes - The Independent - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus canceled this family's Disney trip. They made better memories at home - CNN - March 21st, 2020
- During a pandemic, what does being the world's happiest country mean? - CNN - March 21st, 2020
- Round 2: The Most Instagrammable Hotel In The World 2020 - Luxury Travel Advisor - March 21st, 2020
- Reporter's Notebook: World Travel in the Time of Coronavirus - VOA News - March 17th, 2020
- More than 80 countries have imposed travel bans to curb the new coronavirus - The Economist - March 17th, 2020
- World Travel Holdings' Brands Take Home 10 Statuettes at the 2020 Travvy Awards - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- Offutt cancels military travel and leave, but says it has seen no confirmed cases of COVID-19 - Omaha World-Herald - March 17th, 2020
- Why the world is waking up to Vietnamese coffee - CNN - March 17th, 2020
- New Inspirational Adventure Journeys from TCS World Travel - Arts and Collections International - March 17th, 2020
- Vote Now: The Most Instagrammable Hotel In The World 2020 - Luxury Travel Advisor - March 17th, 2020
- Travel bans, market chaos: Dizzying reaction to coronavirus spread around the world - TribLIVE - March 17th, 2020
- Live Coronavirus Updates and Coverage - The New York Times - March 17th, 2020
- The Latest COVID-19 Policies From The Travel Corporation Brands - Luxury Travel Advisor - March 17th, 2020
- My dream cruise is in tatters thanks to coronavirus here's how it feels to be stranded at sea - Telegraph.co.uk - March 17th, 2020
- Virus Brings New Travel Restrictions, Lockdowns And Closures - Yeshiva World News - March 17th, 2020
- Travel Brands, Remember Who You Really Serve The Traveling Public - Skift - March 17th, 2020
- Customized travel Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with Top Key Players like TCS World Travel, DuVine Cycling & Adventure Co,... - March 17th, 2020
- Corona virus affecting the tourism industry worldwide - Travel Daily News International - March 17th, 2020
- TUI suspends vast majority of travel operations | News - Breaking Travel News - March 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Virgin Atlantic asks staff to take eight weeks of unpaid leave - Sky News - March 17th, 2020
- U.S. Will Drop Limits on Virus Testing, Pence Says - The New York Times - March 4th, 2020
- Buy the World Travel Plug Adapter along with 6 Attachments only For $24.99 - iLounge - March 4th, 2020
- Second Death From Virus Is Reported in the U.S. - The New York Times - March 4th, 2020
- Travel - How the humble potato changed the world - BBC News - March 4th, 2020
- The tourism legacy of the Olympic Games - CNN - March 4th, 2020
- Mexico to Host Travel and Tourism Summit Amid Coronavirus Outbreak - Latin Post - March 4th, 2020
- The world's largest island is finally drawing tourists - CNBC - March 4th, 2020
- World's leading tourism expert warns of overreaction in coronavirus battle - Famagusta Gazette - March 4th, 2020
- After My Abusive Relationship, I Couldn't Leave The House. Travel Opened My World Up Again. - HuffPost - March 4th, 2020
- Planning summer holidays? Think about coronavirus - Times of India - March 4th, 2020
- The holiday destinations around the world which have no cases of coronavirus - The Sun - March 4th, 2020
- Travel ban set to be extended as fears grow over the 'new Hubei' - The Sydney Morning Herald - March 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus: six more test positive in NSW after travelling from Asia and Iran - The Guardian - March 4th, 2020
- Hostelworld shares fall as it warns of 3.5m coronavirus blow - City A.M. - March 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Airports around the world empty as travel industry suffers - The Independent - March 4th, 2020
- Travel Retail Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - March 4th, 2020
- Then and now: How coronavirus turned the world's busiest cities into ghost towns - Telegraph.co.uk - March 4th, 2020
- 5 of the world's smartest cities - World First Travel Insurance - March 4th, 2020
- Traveling In 2020 And The Coronavirus (COVID-19) - ADVrider - March 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus Travel Advisories: Map Shows CDC's Areas Of Concern : Goats and Soda - NPR - February 29th, 2020
- Empty airports around the world show coronavirus affected air travel - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- The travel industry is suffering its worst shock since 9/11 because of coronavirus - KTVZ - February 29th, 2020
- The coronavirus has grounded Chinese tourists. The global travel industry may not recover for years - CNN - February 29th, 2020
- There are $4 flights in China but dont expect many other coronavirus airfare deals - MarketWatch - February 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus is threatening to end the world air-travel boom - CNBC - February 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates live: 1st death in U.S. as outbreak spreads in other countries - NBC News - February 29th, 2020
- THIRDHOME partners with Major Sports Alumni Associations to offer former players access to world travel - PRNewswire - February 29th, 2020
- Great Day TV: The Strongest Woman in the World is from Indy - WISHTV.com - February 29th, 2020
- Climate activists just blocked plans to expand Heathrow, one of the world's biggest airports - CNN - February 29th, 2020
- Less-Costly Ways to Reduce the Harm of COVID-19 Without Travel-and-Immigration-Bans - Cato Institute - February 29th, 2020
- 7 things I never travel without - CNET - February 29th, 2020
- Global Leisure Travel Market, Forecast to 2026 - Mobile Applications, Big Data Analytics, and AI Evolving Together Amidst Proliferating Tourism... - February 29th, 2020
- Industry chiefs to meet at World Aviation Festival - TTG - February 29th, 2020
- Worlds largest travel fair, ITB, cancelled in Berlin - The Thaiger - February 29th, 2020
- Travel: Has Richard Branson launched the world's coolest cruise? - HeraldScotland - February 29th, 2020
- WITTI to Honor Top Women in Travel with Travel Awards Dinner, Gives Voice to Pearson Findings on Gender Mix in the C-Suite - Yahoo Finance - February 20th, 2020
- The world through the eyes of one photographer - CNN - February 20th, 2020
- What the world's most expensive Irish whiskey tastes like - CNN - February 20th, 2020
- What in the World: President Trump's Travel Ban 2.0 - CNN - February 20th, 2020
- Travel Green: Discover Some Of The Worlds Best Eco-Friendly Hotels - Forbes - February 20th, 2020
- Miami Beach Debuts "Why I Love Miami Beach" Social Video Series to Show Why the Destination is Like No Other Place in the World - PRNewswire - February 20th, 2020
- Industrial Tourism Market Global Insights and Trends 2020 to 2026 - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 20th, 2020
- Travel between Torres Strait Islands and PNG banned due to fears over coronavirus - The Guardian - February 20th, 2020
- What trends will be shaping the African travel sector? - Africa Outlook Magazine - February 20th, 2020
- Myanmar Tourism Gets a Second Chance: Is It Ready for It? - Skift - February 20th, 2020
- Why Sicily deserves a place on your travel wish list this year - Travel Daily News International - February 20th, 2020
- Highland Park rolls out exclusive Single Cask bottling for Heathrow and World Duty Free - DFNIonline.com - February 20th, 2020