Here's how to help animals stuck in shelters abroad.
Shelters in the U.S. sit empty as quarantine puppies have stolen the hearts of many American familiesbut in different parts of the world, travel restrictions have created a backlog in the number of animals stuck in shelters abroad and unable to fly overseas for adoption. In some parts of the world, there is an influx of dogs being rescued that are in need of families as soon as possible. Theyre arriving by the dozen and desperately seeking volunteers to assist in finding forever homes.
From the Caribbean to Colombia to Mexico, heres how people can help the animals facing the diverse challenges of the pandemic.
Cargo flights usually save thousands of animals each year by transporting them to countries like the U.S. to be adopted, but since the start of COVID-19, these flights have not been occurring due to recent travel restrictions.
Continue Reading Article After Our Video
The Animal Care Center (ACC) of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands has partnered with shelters from the U.S. Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico to form a coalition leading efforts to fundraise for lifesaving private cargo rescue flights for animals, which will save more than 300 animals from shelters across the Caribbean.
At the end of the day what I want everyone to take away from this and realize is that these are U.S. territories, these are U.S. heartbeats and they need our help, said animal rescue volunteer Jessica Nicodemo, whose specialty is disaster animal relief and logistics.
So far, the group has raised over $70,000, which has saved hundreds of animals from euthanasia. The coalitions current goal is to raise $125,000 which will allow for three additional transports out of these islands, as well as for the spaying and neutering of the island dogs after the third transport has been completed. Now that hurricane season is in full-force, its even more important to get the animals out of danger as soon as possible.
To lend a hand by donating money to future rescues and to learn more about each organization, check out the GoFundMe for this Caribbean Coalitions relief efforts.
Dogs and Cats of Antigua was established as a non-profit organization in 2015, with the aim to help save the rapidly reproducing street dog population in Antigua. This non-profit provides necessary medical care for the animals and works toward finding them forever homes.
Antigua is a very small island with a large stray population. There is very little spay and neutering done on the islandso animals breed quickly, and have nowhere to go. Business at the organization was essentially halted due to COVID-19 as the borders worldwide closed and passenger airplanes traveling into Antigua were grounded.
The organization was left with about 75 animals waiting to travel overseas and began to raise money to build their own sanctuary on the island with the intention of housing them and attracting future island visitors interested in adopting.
As tourism is the main economy on this island the Sanctuary is being built with that in mind. We are making it a destination spot with hiking trails around the property so tourists can take a dog for a hike, said Joy Farrell, Founder of Dogs and Cats of Antigua.
The organization also raised money for an Antigua Puppy Airlift-Freedom Flight, where 58 pups flew out of the island nation30 of which have already been adopted while the rest are on their way to having their applications approved.
Those interested in offering a hand can donate money to the organization online or if theyre traveling to or located in Antigua, by volunteering onsite.
The Animal Pad (TAP) has partnered with two shelters in Ensenada, Mexico, to help get dogs out of kill-shelters in Mexico and into the United States to be adopted. So far this year, the organization has rescued close to 1,000 dogs and adopted out over 800.
Were rescuing about 150 dogs a month and at least twice a month we have new dogs coming, said Founder Stephanie Nisan. About 95% of the dogs rescued have been from Mexico; around 80% of those from the organizations two partner shelters, Ellos Son La Razon, and Los Adoptables.
TAP is a volunteer and foster-based organizationall this work has all been done completely through raising money and with the help of volunteers who travel across the border weekly donating donate their time and money to fund the rescues.
Were completely volunteer-based. We have volunteers in Tijuana, Ensenada, and here in San Diego. We have members of our marketing team worldwide, said Nisan. Most of TAPs volunteer positions are administrative and can be done from anywhere in the world.
Dogs are driven up from Mexico to California in a renovated van and are quarantined in a U.S. kennel before settling into their foster homes. Fostered animals are primarily kept in the California area, close to the TAP facility which ensures any follow-up care for the dogs can be completed easily.
For however many foster homes we have, we will rescue that many dogs. Without the community, we wouldnt be able to do what we do here, said Nisan. Those interested in helping can follow their social media @theanimalpad for updates, and donate supplies using the organizations Amazon wishlist.
Cartagena Paws just celebrated its five-year anniversary and over that time, it has helped over 200 dogs and cats find homes abroad. Since the pandemic started, the organization has had to turn away new rescues, as the cost of caring for more dogs is expensive.
Now that international flights have resumed to Colombia from the U.S., anyone who is traveling to the country can help by becoming a flight volunteer. The way we can get animals out is through flight volunteers. This is crucial for us. This is anyone whos planning a trip who can take a dog with them when they return home. We handle all the vaccinations, we make sure theyre spayed and neutered, and they have a home waiting for them in the Statesits just a matter of getting them there, said flight volunteer recruiter Clementyne Chambers.
Those who arent traveling to Colombia soon can lend a hand through donating on the website, which helps dogs onsite that are in need of care, as well as assists with education for the local community on how to care for their animals.
People can also sponsor an animal from abroad online, and financially support a specific animals upkeep and adoption fees. Sponsors will get updates on bills and receive plenty of videos and pictures of their animal.
Between donating time, money, and supplies, there are many ways people can help to save hundreds of animals across the globe. These organizations assist by helping them find forever homes and give them the opportunity to receive the proper treatment they need to live a better life in the future.
- Hotel openings around the world, Travel News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - January 5th, 2021
- 16 Really Good Things That Happened in the Travel World in 2020 - Hospitality Net - January 5th, 2021
- A Mass. beach just ranked among the top 25 island beaches in the world - Boston.com - January 5th, 2021
- Jim Cramer: 10 Investment Themes I Like in 2021 - RealMoney - January 5th, 2021
- Travel 2021: What will be on the itinerary once vaccination opens up the world? - The Financial Express - January 5th, 2021
- Travel to New Zealand during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- Playing the Green Lottery: Life Inside Colombias Emerald Mines - The New York Times - January 5th, 2021
- Traveling to Spain during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- How four of this year's Transformers helped the world's biggest banks surviveand thrive... - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 5th, 2021
- Travel to Antarctica during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- The cauldrons of gold theory of media and startups - TechCrunch - January 5th, 2021
- Tracing the steps of a fantastic voyage, part 2 - SF Gate - January 5th, 2021
- Discovery+ enters the streaming wars with a big bet on reality TV - CNBC - January 5th, 2021
- Epic Games buys enormous shopping mall, will convert it to global HQ - Polygon - January 5th, 2021
- Where the President Got His Lies About Georgia - Slate - January 5th, 2021
- World War 3: Israel told dont underestimate Irans weapons as tensions soar - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- China branded 'greatest threat to democracy and freedom since WW2 by US spy chief - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- China THREAT as US intelligence chief warns Bidens team targeted amid trade tensions - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- Boris must act now before its too late! Navy chief calls for UK to stand up to China - Express - December 5th, 2020
- Ivanka Trump blasted over India intervention as POTUS set to leave White House - Daily Express - December 5th, 2020
- SAIS students from around the world travel to Italy for in-person instruction - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - October 29th, 2020
- New World, New Duties: Creating Tomorrows Travel, Today - Worth - October 29th, 2020
- These destinations were overwhelmed by tourists. Here's how they're doing now - CNN - October 29th, 2020
- Villas of Distinction Recognized with Cond Nast Traveler's 2020 Readers' Choice Award in Villas Category - Benzinga - October 29th, 2020
- Trending Now: Sports Tourism Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts - Aerospace Journal - October 29th, 2020
- Where Wes Anderson films 'accidentally' come to life - The Guardian - October 29th, 2020
- Beachfront Residences at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort Open November 1 - Luxury Travel Advisor - October 29th, 2020
- Tourism and Agriculture Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - TechnoWeekly - October 29th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on the Hospitality, Travel, and Leisure Sector - Programming Insider - October 29th, 2020
- Africas year of zero: a special report on the future of wildlife tourism - Financial Times - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Is self-catering the best option? - World First Travel Insurance - October 29th, 2020
- From Lusaka to the world: why travel holds the key to economic recovery - themastonline.com - October 29th, 2020
- TCS World Travel Announces Dates for Its First All-Inclusive Luxury Expeditions On Ground-Breaking New Airbus A321neo Private Jet - Business Wire - October 14th, 2020
- Hacienda Tres Ros is a Strong Candidate in Three 2020 World Travel Awards Categories - PR Web - October 14th, 2020
- Peru, Bahamas and Puerto Rico Added to WTTC's Safe Travels List - TravelPulse - October 14th, 2020
- Maldives bags 8 nominations at World Travel Awards - The Edition - October 14th, 2020
- Aircraft Interiors Expo (AIX) And World Travel Catering & Onboard Services Expo (WTCE) Announce They Will Bring the Industry Together in Hamburg... - October 14th, 2020
- WTTC has a plan to save the travel sector - Travel Weekly - October 14th, 2020
- Short's Travel Signs with Deem to Offer An Additional Travel Booking Solution for Clients - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel insurance proposition enhanced by Zurich - ITIJ - October 14th, 2020
- The world's busiest airports -- and how far they've fallen - CNN - October 14th, 2020
- This is why travel will be better post-pandemic - Traveller - October 14th, 2020
- Is cow hugging the world's new wellness trend? - BBC News - October 14th, 2020
- Disney World attendance to stay capped; Disneyland reopening 'not much of a negotiation,' CEO says - USA TODAY - October 14th, 2020
- Author and World Traveler Illustrates Exploration of Europe and the Challenges he Faced in New Book - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel Alert: Covid-19 Cases Are Back To July Levels, And Rising Fast - Forbes - October 14th, 2020
- The traveler who spent a month working as a porter on Mount Everest - CNN - October 14th, 2020
- Expedia Modernized Operations on One of the World's Fastest-Moving IT Stacks - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Experiential Travels Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 14th, 2020
- How One Travel Advisor Gets Creative to Stay Engaged with Clients - Travel Market Report - October 14th, 2020
- New York City named one of world's top ten best walking cities - Travel Daily - October 14th, 2020
- Lonely Planet's new Ultimate Travel List reveals the world's unmissable travel experiences - Lonely Planet Travel News - October 8th, 2020
- President Trump positive is a red alert for World Travel and Tourism - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - October 8th, 2020
- 4 Travelers on Life Around the World: Women Who Travel Podcast - Cond Nast Traveler - October 8th, 2020
- The world's 10 coolest neighborhoods, according to Time Out - CNN - October 8th, 2020
- After six months, Germany eases world travel restrictions - The Tribune India - October 8th, 2020
- Travel agents wait for the world to reopen from COVID shutdowns; heres how theyre staying afloat with trave - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- The world of travel is (slowly) reopening | Opinion - ECM Publishers - October 8th, 2020
- Amazon Prime's Global Child "Travel with Purpose" & Netflix's Down to Earth with Zac Efron bring hope to audiences through a new breed... - October 8th, 2020
- This hotel was named the best in Boston and among the top in the world - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- Is One of the Most Overtouristed Cities in the World Better Off Without Them? - Fodor's Travel - October 8th, 2020
- New Zealand passport is now the most powerful in the world; India secures 58th position - Happytrips - October 8th, 2020
- Big plans from Small Luxury Hotels of the World - Travel Weekly - October 3rd, 2020
- Trending News: Customized travel Market Overview and Forecast Report 2020-2026 Top players: TCS World Travel, DuVine Cycling & Adventure Co,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Australia-New Zealand travel bubble to partially open within two weeks - The Guardian - October 3rd, 2020
- Ski, Party, Seed a Pandemic: The Travel Rules That Let Covid-19 Take Flight - The New York Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Which Countries Did Worse In The Deadly Summer Of Tourism? - Forbes - October 3rd, 2020
- New WTTC Campaign Highlights Social Benefits of Travel & Tourism - Hotel Business - October 3rd, 2020
- Worlds Best Islands: Why Portugals Terceira Belongs On Your Travel Wish List - Forbes - October 3rd, 2020
- When Star Wars Rebels brought back Mortis and introduced time travel [Jabba the Pod 3.13] - SYFY WIRE - October 3rd, 2020
- Dream Vacations Lift and Shifts National Conference Aboard Celebrity Apex to 2021; This Years Conference will be Virtual - Franchising.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Tratok and Hotel Data Cloud Sign Agreement to Restart Travel Industry Through Blockchain Powered Technology and Artificial Intelligence Enabled... - October 3rd, 2020
- Panama is reopening to tourists from all countries in October - Lonely Planet Travel News - October 3rd, 2020
- Travel-Awards.Org to Host the Virtual Conference World Travel Summit 2020, Under the Theme "Travel - In The New Normal" - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Phillys Four Seasons Spa Was Just Named One of the Best in the World - Philadelphia magazine - September 4th, 2020
- Attend a Live, Interactive Virtual Oktoberfest Celebration This Year - TravelPulse - September 4th, 2020
- So you had a terrible vacation. Whose fault is that: The airline's? The hotel's? Or yours? - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- It's a new world of travel in MLS for the Galaxy and LAFC - Los Angeles Times - September 4th, 2020
- Staycationers are saving hotels and Airbnb from covid-19 - The Economist - September 4th, 2020
- Cerabino: In world of COVID-19 precautions, it's Florida, not Canada, that should be advocating solo sex - Palm Beach Post - September 4th, 2020