Ariana Taylor, The Detroit News Published 3:43 p.m. ET Aug. 24, 2020 | Updated 3:58 p.m. ET Aug. 24, 2020
Aretha Franklin's legacy is being memorialized with a portion of the Lodge Freeway dedicated to the late singer.
The stretch of M-10from Livernoisto Interstate 94 was revealed as the Aretha L. Franklin Memorial Highway on Monday by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist and other state and city leaders.
The dedicated stretch of freeway was markedwith asign located on the Lodge near Pallisterin the New Center area that will be visible for those going north and south.
The Aretha L. Franklin Memorial Highway sign was unveiled Monday.(Photo: Robin Buckson)
"The people of Michigan are proud to claim Aretha Franklin,"Whitmer said."Now as people from all over the world travelto Detroit on the Aretha Franklin Memorial Highway, they will be reminded of the profound impact that she had on the city and on the state."
Franklin's hit songs including "Freeway of Love"blasted through speakers at the unveiling ceremony. Pink Cadillacs lined the side of theInternational Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 38 union building where the ceremony was held
The granddaughters of Franklin, Victorieand Grace Franklin, sung the Black national anthem, "Lift Every Voice." Son Edward Franklin also sung two selections at the ceremony.
"I would just like to say how proud I am of my mother today," said KeCalf Franklin, heryoungest son. "We just want to say from the family... thank you for all the great support over the last two years it has been very gratefully appreciated by the family."
Along with Franklin's family, community leaders such as Mayor Mike Duggan, Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib were also in attendance, including theRev. Robert Smith, who is now pastor at New Bethel Baptist Church, which was Franklin's father's church.
"Unlike others who came from the city and left, this freeway actually tracks the extraordinary course of her life," said Duggan. "Anybody who passes through this city, no matter how briefly, is going to be reminded that the queen of soul came from the city of Detroit."
The dedication ceremony comes over a year afterWhitmersigned the House Bill 4060 that officially declared the portion of the freeway to be named in Franklin's honor.
The bill was sponsored by state Rep. Leslie Love, D-Detroit, who introduced the measure in January 2019. It cleared the House in a 101-6 vote two months later. The Senate signed off 32-5 in June of that year.
"I am honored that we get to drive down this M-10 and see those signs whether you're going northbound or southbound. It is significant and it is relevant because I know people here think this was easy... this was not easy," said Love.
A handful of Republicans opposed the measure in each chamber, arguing highway designations should be reserved for military veterans and first responders.Love pointed out that no taxpayer dollars were used in the designation of the freeway.
Franklin, who who was born in Tennessee but lived most of her life in Detroit and got her start in her fathers New Bethel Baptist Church, died in 2018after a battle with pancreatic cancer.
"I'm so honored that I met you and that I'm the person to do this to honor you in this way... Sister Franklin we just thank you for your legacy and your love," Love said tearfully while looking towardthe sky.
Read this article:
- TCS World Travel Announces Dates for Its First All-Inclusive Luxury Expeditions On Ground-Breaking New Airbus A321neo Private Jet - Business Wire - October 14th, 2020
- Hacienda Tres Ros is a Strong Candidate in Three 2020 World Travel Awards Categories - PR Web - October 14th, 2020
- Peru, Bahamas and Puerto Rico Added to WTTC's Safe Travels List - TravelPulse - October 14th, 2020
- Maldives bags 8 nominations at World Travel Awards - The Edition - October 14th, 2020
- Aircraft Interiors Expo (AIX) And World Travel Catering & Onboard Services Expo (WTCE) Announce They Will Bring the Industry Together in Hamburg... - October 14th, 2020
- WTTC has a plan to save the travel sector - Travel Weekly - October 14th, 2020
- Short's Travel Signs with Deem to Offer An Additional Travel Booking Solution for Clients - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel insurance proposition enhanced by Zurich - ITIJ - October 14th, 2020
- The world's busiest airports -- and how far they've fallen - CNN - October 14th, 2020
- This is why travel will be better post-pandemic - Traveller - October 14th, 2020
- Is cow hugging the world's new wellness trend? - BBC News - October 14th, 2020
- Disney World attendance to stay capped; Disneyland reopening 'not much of a negotiation,' CEO says - USA TODAY - October 14th, 2020
- Author and World Traveler Illustrates Exploration of Europe and the Challenges he Faced in New Book - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel Alert: Covid-19 Cases Are Back To July Levels, And Rising Fast - Forbes - October 14th, 2020
- The traveler who spent a month working as a porter on Mount Everest - CNN - October 14th, 2020
- Expedia Modernized Operations on One of the World's Fastest-Moving IT Stacks - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Experiential Travels Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 14th, 2020
- How One Travel Advisor Gets Creative to Stay Engaged with Clients - Travel Market Report - October 14th, 2020
- New York City named one of world's top ten best walking cities - Travel Daily - October 14th, 2020
- Lonely Planet's new Ultimate Travel List reveals the world's unmissable travel experiences - Lonely Planet Travel News - October 8th, 2020
- President Trump positive is a red alert for World Travel and Tourism - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - October 8th, 2020
- 4 Travelers on Life Around the World: Women Who Travel Podcast - Cond Nast Traveler - October 8th, 2020
- The world's 10 coolest neighborhoods, according to Time Out - CNN - October 8th, 2020
- After six months, Germany eases world travel restrictions - The Tribune India - October 8th, 2020
- Travel agents wait for the world to reopen from COVID shutdowns; heres how theyre staying afloat with trave - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- The world of travel is (slowly) reopening | Opinion - ECM Publishers - October 8th, 2020
- Amazon Prime's Global Child "Travel with Purpose" & Netflix's Down to Earth with Zac Efron bring hope to audiences through a new breed... - October 8th, 2020
- This hotel was named the best in Boston and among the top in the world - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- Is One of the Most Overtouristed Cities in the World Better Off Without Them? - Fodor's Travel - October 8th, 2020
- New Zealand passport is now the most powerful in the world; India secures 58th position - Happytrips - October 8th, 2020
- Big plans from Small Luxury Hotels of the World - Travel Weekly - October 3rd, 2020
- Trending News: Customized travel Market Overview and Forecast Report 2020-2026 Top players: TCS World Travel, DuVine Cycling & Adventure Co,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Australia-New Zealand travel bubble to partially open within two weeks - The Guardian - October 3rd, 2020
- Ski, Party, Seed a Pandemic: The Travel Rules That Let Covid-19 Take Flight - The New York Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Which Countries Did Worse In The Deadly Summer Of Tourism? - Forbes - October 3rd, 2020
- New WTTC Campaign Highlights Social Benefits of Travel & Tourism - Hotel Business - October 3rd, 2020
- Worlds Best Islands: Why Portugals Terceira Belongs On Your Travel Wish List - Forbes - October 3rd, 2020
- When Star Wars Rebels brought back Mortis and introduced time travel [Jabba the Pod 3.13] - SYFY WIRE - October 3rd, 2020
- Dream Vacations Lift and Shifts National Conference Aboard Celebrity Apex to 2021; This Years Conference will be Virtual - Franchising.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Tratok and Hotel Data Cloud Sign Agreement to Restart Travel Industry Through Blockchain Powered Technology and Artificial Intelligence Enabled... - October 3rd, 2020
- How You Can Help Animal Shelters Around the World During COVID - Fodor's Travel - October 3rd, 2020
- Panama is reopening to tourists from all countries in October - Lonely Planet Travel News - October 3rd, 2020
- Travel-Awards.Org to Host the Virtual Conference World Travel Summit 2020, Under the Theme "Travel - In The New Normal" - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Phillys Four Seasons Spa Was Just Named One of the Best in the World - Philadelphia magazine - September 4th, 2020
- Attend a Live, Interactive Virtual Oktoberfest Celebration This Year - TravelPulse - September 4th, 2020
- So you had a terrible vacation. Whose fault is that: The airline's? The hotel's? Or yours? - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- It's a new world of travel in MLS for the Galaxy and LAFC - Los Angeles Times - September 4th, 2020
- Staycationers are saving hotels and Airbnb from covid-19 - The Economist - September 4th, 2020
- Cerabino: In world of COVID-19 precautions, it's Florida, not Canada, that should be advocating solo sex - Palm Beach Post - September 4th, 2020
- LCCs the right model for post-Covid world; recovery is not near, but out of creative destruction may emerge new entities - Web In Travel - September 4th, 2020
- Thailand managed 101 days without local coronavirus cases. Will it open borders soon? - CNN - September 4th, 2020
- Travel The World From Your Living Room With The New Technogym Bike - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Africa Travel Week focuses on creating opportunities for the industry this Tourism Month - Travel Daily News International - September 4th, 2020
- Villas of Distinction offers white-label partnerships to Travel Agencies - Travel Daily News International - September 4th, 2020
- Cruise Ships Are the Cleanest Travel Environments - TravelPulse - September 4th, 2020
- World Travel Awards 2020: The Best New Luxury Hotels And Resorts In Europe - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Move Over, Sustainable Travel. Regenerative Travel Has Arrived. - The New York Times - September 2nd, 2020
- Travel COVID Safe Accreditation Group Launches The Most Rigorous Three-Point Inspection Health Certification For The Travel And Tourism Industry - PR... - September 2nd, 2020
- Louis Vuitton Parfums Explores Out of This World Travel With New "Mtore" Fragrance - HYPEBEAST - September 2nd, 2020
- Letters to the editor Sept. 2, 2020 | Letters To Editor - goskagit.com - September 2nd, 2020
- 6 numbers to know about the greatest short courses in the world - Golf.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Mike Fox introduces a travel book narrating his wife's treatment for Parkinson's disease in Italy - GlobeNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Column: Reflections of columns and world travel - Current in Carmel - August 24th, 2020
- Roaming Through Lanzarotes Otherworldly Vineyards - The New York Times - August 24th, 2020
- Shares in Accor and IHG rise on merger speculation a combination would create the worlds biggest hotel group - MarketWatch - August 24th, 2020
- Japan to open world's second 'Making of Harry Potter' attraction - CNN - August 24th, 2020
- The Japanese village that cooks in a hot spring - BBC News - August 24th, 2020
- Bulgaria: Wild majesty in one of Europe's oldest countries - CNN - August 24th, 2020
- Ernest White II launched a travel show during the pandemic. He says its message is more relevant now than ever - San Francisco Chronicle - August 24th, 2020
- Travel - Why are the Dutch so tall? - BBC News - August 24th, 2020
- How COVID-19 could affect business travel and the aviation industry - World Economic Forum - August 24th, 2020
- Tourism in 2020 and the COVID-19 Pandemic: Signs of Recovery Within the Domestic Tourism Sector - PRNewswire - August 24th, 2020
- In China, Where the Coronavirus Pandemic Began, Life Is Starting to Look Normal - The New York Times - August 24th, 2020
- Here are the Entrepreneur of the Year 2020 Mid-Atlantic Finalists - WashingtonExec - August 24th, 2020
- Opinion/McCord: Reflections of a privileged white traveler - Seacoastonline.com - August 24th, 2020
- Fans crowd into an indoor concert in experiment on how to return to normality - CNN - August 24th, 2020
- Covid robs tourism by the billion - TTR Weekly - August 24th, 2020
- WebBeds world's top bed bank post-COVID? That's the Webjet plan - Travel Trends - August 24th, 2020
- Germany issues travel warning for Paris and Cote d'Azur as it happened - The Guardian - August 24th, 2020
- Outbound Travel Service Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2025 - The News Brok - August 24th, 2020