For many people traveling is one of their big aspirations in life, something that they want to check off the bucket list before time runs out. And for good reason, as traveling can be an amazing experience that has many benefits. These benefits include personal growth and learning, an expansion of perspective and lifelong memories of different cultures that will never fade. Despite all these upsides, taking trips comes with one big downside in the form of the cost and time needed. Time allotment will, unfortunately, have to vary by person, but not every trip has to be prohibitively expensive. This list will run down some of the cheapest travel destinations in the world.
Starting off the list is Croatia, located in central and southeastern Europe off the coast of the Adriatic Sea and bordering Hungary. This location is a popular tourism spot, with more than 19.7 million visitors in 2018 alone. The appeal of the vacation spot lies in a deep historical and cultural heritage complemented by its scenic location and temperate climates.
Another great spot to visit for cheap is the Czech Republic, with tons of tourists flocking to the country in recent years. Its most popular city is its capital Prague which in addition to beautiful architecture boasts a thriving and affordable nightlife that houses a ton of bars and clubs in close proximity.
Romania, similar to many other entries on this list, is located in Europe, specifically in the southeastern portion, bordering Hungary, Serbia, and Bulgaria among other countries. It is another popular tourist destination that boasts a variety of world heritage sites like the churches of Moldavia and the Dacian Fortresses of the Orastie Mountains. There's also resort swimming and skiing to enjoy.
Vietnam is one of several not European entries on this list. And it's a spot that has seen increasing popularity with the number of visitors going up from 2.1 million in 2000 to 18 million in 2019. This is partly due to a long term plan by the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism but is also tied into the many sites to see, like national parks and bustling cities.
Back to Europe, Greece is the next cheap destination to visit. This coastal country is celebrated for its stunning ancient buildings, which are testaments to civilizations long gone. Emphasizing this fact is the variety of archaeological museums and sites that contain the remnants of these old cities. Its cultural focus is bolstered by a variety of ecotourism activities like hiking and caving.
Laos is an Asian country known for its mountainous terrain, French colonial architecture, settlements in the hills and Buddhist monasteries. Visitors can make their way to the capital, Vientiane where they can witness the massive That Luang monument, the Patuxai war memorial and the bustling array of stalls and human bodies known as the Talat Sao or Morning Market.
Turkey is a country in the middle east that holds ancient connections to the past empires of Greece, Persia, and Rome, among others. The tourist appeal of this location lies in the variety of historical sites that the country houses, especially in the realm of bazaars and classical buildings. It is also a good place to visit for its seaside resorts.
Indonesia is officially known as the Republic of Indonesia and is located in Southeast Asia. Its fast-growing tourism sector is an important element of its economy, with its capital Jakarta ranking as one of the top 10 cities in regard to tourism growth in 2018. There's a lot to enjoy in the country with its beautiful natural attractions and a rich variety of leisure activities to undertake.
The South Asian country of Nepal is a great spot to visit for thrillseekers. It boasts a variety of pursuits for the adventurous, with its most notable appeal lying in its excellent mountaineering opportunities - this country is where Mount Everest is located. Other fun wilderness activities include mountain biking, rock climbing, bungee jumping, and hiking.
This country is situated in Northern Europe and borders the Baltic sea. A standout here is the vast number of islands included in its borders, making for an array of terrains that include rocky beaches and imposing forests. The landscape is littered with castles, churches, and old fortresses while the capital contains well-preserved architecture and a variety of museums.
Another exceptionally affordable travel destination to visit is the Asia-located country of Cambodia. Its landscape includes low slung plains, a massive river delta, scenic coastlines and mountains dotted throughout. Visitors can make their way to the capital of Phnom Penh to check out the artsy Central Market, gorgeous Royal Palace and a whole set of ancient displays.
This entry is unlike the others due to its continental location, situated as it is in Central America. Tourism in the country is its second-largest industry with the city of Granada standing tall as one of the preferred spots to visit, due to its large vendor-filled central park, horse tours, and grassy islands. Make sure to check out the volcanoes while you're there.
Densely packed India is one of the world's most populous countries and a great place to visit for travel. It has an array of world heritage sites and a luxuriant background culture of temples and palaces that make for a bunch of must-see locations while there. It also has beautiful natural vistas and national parks to round out its tourism profile.
Taiwan's political situation leaves its relationship to China unclear, but this should not be a deterrent for interested travelers who want to make a stop in Asia. Notable sites to visit include the Taipei 101 tower, the National Palace Museum, the Chian Kai-shek Memorial Hall and the Dadaocheng Wharf, all located in the capital Taipei.
This African country is home to a diverse set of wildlife that makes it a great spot for animal lovers. This includes birds, lions, and Rhinos, among many others. Non-native speakers also won't have trouble getting along as many residents are versed in English. This place is safe, beautiful, and an excellent location to camp and soak in nature vibes.
This South American destination rounds out the list of cheap travel spots. Though its past has been checkered with conflict, it has in recent years turned into a calmer place to be. The capital Bogota is booming with activity as new businesses open up. There's a lot to tour around and see in the city, with exceptional street art and exquisite architecture.
- SAIS students from around the world travel to Italy for in-person instruction - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - October 29th, 2020
- New World, New Duties: Creating Tomorrows Travel, Today - Worth - October 29th, 2020
- These destinations were overwhelmed by tourists. Here's how they're doing now - CNN - October 29th, 2020
- Villas of Distinction Recognized with Cond Nast Traveler's 2020 Readers' Choice Award in Villas Category - Benzinga - October 29th, 2020
- Trending Now: Sports Tourism Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts - Aerospace Journal - October 29th, 2020
- Where Wes Anderson films 'accidentally' come to life - The Guardian - October 29th, 2020
- Beachfront Residences at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort Open November 1 - Luxury Travel Advisor - October 29th, 2020
- Tourism and Agriculture Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Sales, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - TechnoWeekly - October 29th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on the Hospitality, Travel, and Leisure Sector - Programming Insider - October 29th, 2020
- Africas year of zero: a special report on the future of wildlife tourism - Financial Times - October 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Is self-catering the best option? - World First Travel Insurance - October 29th, 2020
- From Lusaka to the world: why travel holds the key to economic recovery - themastonline.com - October 29th, 2020
- TCS World Travel Announces Dates for Its First All-Inclusive Luxury Expeditions On Ground-Breaking New Airbus A321neo Private Jet - Business Wire - October 14th, 2020
- Hacienda Tres Ros is a Strong Candidate in Three 2020 World Travel Awards Categories - PR Web - October 14th, 2020
- Peru, Bahamas and Puerto Rico Added to WTTC's Safe Travels List - TravelPulse - October 14th, 2020
- Maldives bags 8 nominations at World Travel Awards - The Edition - October 14th, 2020
- Aircraft Interiors Expo (AIX) And World Travel Catering & Onboard Services Expo (WTCE) Announce They Will Bring the Industry Together in Hamburg... - October 14th, 2020
- WTTC has a plan to save the travel sector - Travel Weekly - October 14th, 2020
- Short's Travel Signs with Deem to Offer An Additional Travel Booking Solution for Clients - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel insurance proposition enhanced by Zurich - ITIJ - October 14th, 2020
- The world's busiest airports -- and how far they've fallen - CNN - October 14th, 2020
- This is why travel will be better post-pandemic - Traveller - October 14th, 2020
- Is cow hugging the world's new wellness trend? - BBC News - October 14th, 2020
- Disney World attendance to stay capped; Disneyland reopening 'not much of a negotiation,' CEO says - USA TODAY - October 14th, 2020
- Author and World Traveler Illustrates Exploration of Europe and the Challenges he Faced in New Book - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Travel Alert: Covid-19 Cases Are Back To July Levels, And Rising Fast - Forbes - October 14th, 2020
- The traveler who spent a month working as a porter on Mount Everest - CNN - October 14th, 2020
- Expedia Modernized Operations on One of the World's Fastest-Moving IT Stacks - GlobeNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Experiential Travels Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 14th, 2020
- How One Travel Advisor Gets Creative to Stay Engaged with Clients - Travel Market Report - October 14th, 2020
- New York City named one of world's top ten best walking cities - Travel Daily - October 14th, 2020
- Lonely Planet's new Ultimate Travel List reveals the world's unmissable travel experiences - Lonely Planet Travel News - October 8th, 2020
- President Trump positive is a red alert for World Travel and Tourism - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - October 8th, 2020
- 4 Travelers on Life Around the World: Women Who Travel Podcast - Cond Nast Traveler - October 8th, 2020
- The world's 10 coolest neighborhoods, according to Time Out - CNN - October 8th, 2020
- After six months, Germany eases world travel restrictions - The Tribune India - October 8th, 2020
- Travel agents wait for the world to reopen from COVID shutdowns; heres how theyre staying afloat with trave - MassLive.com - October 8th, 2020
- The world of travel is (slowly) reopening | Opinion - ECM Publishers - October 8th, 2020
- Amazon Prime's Global Child "Travel with Purpose" & Netflix's Down to Earth with Zac Efron bring hope to audiences through a new breed... - October 8th, 2020
- This hotel was named the best in Boston and among the top in the world - Boston.com - October 8th, 2020
- Is One of the Most Overtouristed Cities in the World Better Off Without Them? - Fodor's Travel - October 8th, 2020
- New Zealand passport is now the most powerful in the world; India secures 58th position - Happytrips - October 8th, 2020
- Big plans from Small Luxury Hotels of the World - Travel Weekly - October 3rd, 2020
- Trending News: Customized travel Market Overview and Forecast Report 2020-2026 Top players: TCS World Travel, DuVine Cycling & Adventure Co,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Australia-New Zealand travel bubble to partially open within two weeks - The Guardian - October 3rd, 2020
- Ski, Party, Seed a Pandemic: The Travel Rules That Let Covid-19 Take Flight - The New York Times - October 3rd, 2020
- Which Countries Did Worse In The Deadly Summer Of Tourism? - Forbes - October 3rd, 2020
- New WTTC Campaign Highlights Social Benefits of Travel & Tourism - Hotel Business - October 3rd, 2020
- Worlds Best Islands: Why Portugals Terceira Belongs On Your Travel Wish List - Forbes - October 3rd, 2020
- When Star Wars Rebels brought back Mortis and introduced time travel [Jabba the Pod 3.13] - SYFY WIRE - October 3rd, 2020
- Dream Vacations Lift and Shifts National Conference Aboard Celebrity Apex to 2021; This Years Conference will be Virtual - Franchising.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Tratok and Hotel Data Cloud Sign Agreement to Restart Travel Industry Through Blockchain Powered Technology and Artificial Intelligence Enabled... - October 3rd, 2020
- How You Can Help Animal Shelters Around the World During COVID - Fodor's Travel - October 3rd, 2020
- Panama is reopening to tourists from all countries in October - Lonely Planet Travel News - October 3rd, 2020
- Travel-Awards.Org to Host the Virtual Conference World Travel Summit 2020, Under the Theme "Travel - In The New Normal" - PRNewswire - September 4th, 2020
- Phillys Four Seasons Spa Was Just Named One of the Best in the World - Philadelphia magazine - September 4th, 2020
- Attend a Live, Interactive Virtual Oktoberfest Celebration This Year - TravelPulse - September 4th, 2020
- So you had a terrible vacation. Whose fault is that: The airline's? The hotel's? Or yours? - USA TODAY - September 4th, 2020
- It's a new world of travel in MLS for the Galaxy and LAFC - Los Angeles Times - September 4th, 2020
- Staycationers are saving hotels and Airbnb from covid-19 - The Economist - September 4th, 2020
- Cerabino: In world of COVID-19 precautions, it's Florida, not Canada, that should be advocating solo sex - Palm Beach Post - September 4th, 2020
- LCCs the right model for post-Covid world; recovery is not near, but out of creative destruction may emerge new entities - Web In Travel - September 4th, 2020
- Thailand managed 101 days without local coronavirus cases. Will it open borders soon? - CNN - September 4th, 2020
- Travel The World From Your Living Room With The New Technogym Bike - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Africa Travel Week focuses on creating opportunities for the industry this Tourism Month - Travel Daily News International - September 4th, 2020
- Villas of Distinction offers white-label partnerships to Travel Agencies - Travel Daily News International - September 4th, 2020
- Cruise Ships Are the Cleanest Travel Environments - TravelPulse - September 4th, 2020
- World Travel Awards 2020: The Best New Luxury Hotels And Resorts In Europe - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Move Over, Sustainable Travel. Regenerative Travel Has Arrived. - The New York Times - September 2nd, 2020
- Travel COVID Safe Accreditation Group Launches The Most Rigorous Three-Point Inspection Health Certification For The Travel And Tourism Industry - PR... - September 2nd, 2020
- Louis Vuitton Parfums Explores Out of This World Travel With New "Mtore" Fragrance - HYPEBEAST - September 2nd, 2020
- Letters to the editor Sept. 2, 2020 | Letters To Editor - goskagit.com - September 2nd, 2020
- 6 numbers to know about the greatest short courses in the world - Golf.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Mike Fox introduces a travel book narrating his wife's treatment for Parkinson's disease in Italy - GlobeNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- Column: Reflections of columns and world travel - Current in Carmel - August 24th, 2020
- Aretha Franklin memorialized with section of Lodge Freeway - The Detroit News - August 24th, 2020
- Roaming Through Lanzarotes Otherworldly Vineyards - The New York Times - August 24th, 2020
- Shares in Accor and IHG rise on merger speculation a combination would create the worlds biggest hotel group - MarketWatch - August 24th, 2020
- Japan to open world's second 'Making of Harry Potter' attraction - CNN - August 24th, 2020
- The Japanese village that cooks in a hot spring - BBC News - August 24th, 2020