Reaction poured in from around Alabama on Thursday afternoon after Governor Kay Ivey announced that she will undergo an outpatient procedure on Friday, soon to be followed by radiation treatments, after the early discovery of lung cancer.
Elected officials and politicians from across the Yellowhammer State and the nation offered heartfelt words of support and prayer for Ivey.
Lt. Governor Will Ainsworth (R-AL) tweeted, Throughout her career, Kay Ivey has proven herself to be a strong and determined woman who will confront any obstacle placed in her path. The courage and tenacity she has shown in the past will serve her well in the challenge that lies ahead.
Throughout her treatment, Gov. Ivey will carry with her the prayers, thoughts, and well-wishes of millions of Alabamians, and those of my family and I will certainly be among them, he concluded.
Public Service Commission President Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh (R-AL) stated, My family and I are praying for Governor Ivey to beat this cancer. She is a strong, resilient leader who I know will take that same approach to her recovery.
Secretary of State John Merrill (R-AL) said in a tweet, Cindy and I would like to express our concern and offer our thoughts and prayers to Gov. Ivey as she prepares to battle cancer! She is a true leader and a proven winner who has been successful in many fights before! Im confident that she will prevail in this one as well!
Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh(R-Anniston) tweeted, Please join me in praying for [Governor Ivey]s speedy recovery. Her leadership is unparalleled and I look forward to continuing to work with her for the people of Alabama.
U.S. Rep. Martha Roby (AL-02) tweeted to Ivey, Riley, Margaret, George, & I will be praying for you during this time. Im thankful to call you a friend & grateful for your leadership.
State Auditor Jim Zeigler (R-AL) stated, As a cancer survivor myself from 2001, I know that early detection, treatment, and prayer can work. I am confident Gov. Ivey will have the best treatment available, and we have wonderful cancer programs in Alabama. Kay Ivey is one tough lady, and I am confident that the cancer will be the loser in this fight.
Thursdays news certainly transcended politics.
Sending well wishes to [Governor Ivey] for a speedy and full recovery! U.S. Rep. Terri Sewell (AL-07) tweeted.
State Rep. Chris Pringle (R-Mobile) even invoked a classic Ivey line to express his support for the governor and optimism for her full recovery.
Former South Carolina Governor and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley also extended to Ivey, Prayers for strength and healing.
In a statement, Alabama Republican Party Chair Terry Lathan said, Governor Iveys announcement that she will be undergoing outpatient radiation for a malignant spot on her lung is met with great concern, but we are confident that the Steel Magnolia of Alabama will recuperate quickly.
We hope it is a great comfort to her that millions of Alabamians will lift her name up to the Lords ear during this time. We also should take this opportunity to be reminded of so many who have walked this challenging path. We believe Governor Ivey will tackle this moment with the tenacity, faith and grace she does with everything, she concluded.
State Rep. Will Dismukes (R-Prattville) tweeted, My whole family and I are going to add her to our prayers immediately, but Governor Ivey is made of equal parts grit and grace. This small malignancy her doctor found will be no match for her.
Governor Phil Bryant (R-MS) tweeted, Deborah and I offer our prayers of support for [Governor Ivey]. Kay is a dear friend and one of the finest leaders in America. Her strength and faith will bring her through this challenge. Godspeed Kay.
This article may be updated as more reaction comes in.
Sean Ross is the editor of Yellowhammer News. You can follow him on Twitter @sean_yhn
- Successful launch continues deployment of SpaceX's Starlink network - Spaceflight Now - November 11th, 2019
- What it takes to be a space pilot - Astronomy Magazine - November 11th, 2019
- Spaceflight alters heart cells but they quickly recover back on Earth - New Scientist News - November 11th, 2019
- 4 Things to Know About New Space Company Virgin Galactic - Motley Fool - November 11th, 2019
- Mercury is making a rare 'transit' across the sun. Here's how to watch. - NBCNews.com - November 11th, 2019
- Japanese 'Shooting-Star' Satellite to Launch on Landmark Rocket Lab Flight This Month - Space.com - November 11th, 2019
- The Importance of Spacecraft Abort Tests - Forbes - November 11th, 2019
- Buy Virgin Galactic stock because space tourism will be safer than you think, analyst says - CNBC - November 11th, 2019
- New bill aims to grow South Mississippis space industry - WLOX - November 11th, 2019
- Now in space, a cutting-edge satellite the size of a shoebox, and UW students built it - Seattle Times - November 11th, 2019
- Human Heart Cells Transform in Space; Return to Normal on Earth: Study - The Weather Channel - November 11th, 2019
- NASA Marshall expands ties with UA to advance in-space manufacturing - Made In Alabama - November 11th, 2019
- Can We Genetically Engineer Humans to Survive Missions to Mars? - Space.com - November 11th, 2019
- NASA's SOFIA Observatory: The Flying Telescope - Space.com - November 11th, 2019
- Massive Space Explosion Releases as Much Energy in 20 Seconds as Sun Does in 10 Days - The Weather Channel - November 11th, 2019
- Airstream Enjoys Return to U.S. Space Program in Partnership with Boeing - Chief Executive Group - November 11th, 2019
- Yes, the 'Von Braun' Space Hotel Idea Is Wild. But Could We Build It by 2025? - Space.com - November 11th, 2019
- Record-Setting X-Ray Burst From Massive Thermonuclear Blast Detected From Space Station - SciTechDaily - November 11th, 2019
- Student Networks with Astronauts, Space Experts at International Meeting - Tennessee Today - November 11th, 2019
- 'Star Trek,' Space Travel and Teleportation with Tig Notaro - Space.com - November 11th, 2019
- Space station receives spacewalking gear, new baking oven - Spaceflight Now - November 6th, 2019
- Buy Virgin Galactic stock because space tourism will be safer than you think, analyst says - CNBC - November 6th, 2019
- A Journey to Mars Starts on the Space Station - Space.com - November 6th, 2019
- Historic space flight artifacts donated by legendary cosmonaut displayed at space museum in Weatherford - KFOR Oklahoma City - November 6th, 2019
- Virgin Galactic: From Space To The Stock Market - Forbes - November 6th, 2019
- Virgin Galactic's high-risk space adventure will likely pay off - Space Daily - November 6th, 2019
- 'Star Trek,' Space Travel and Teleportation with Tig Notaro - Space.com - November 6th, 2019
- Yes, the 'Von Braun' Space Hotel Idea Is Wild. But Could We Build It by 2025? - Space.com - November 6th, 2019
- SAIC and Sinequa Align to Deliver an Intelligent Search Experience to NASA Marshall Space Flight Center SAIC and Sinequa Align to Deliver an... - November 6th, 2019
- Mars Society Founder Makes Case for 'Mars Direct' Path to the Red Planet - Space.com - November 6th, 2019
- Are there any realistic spaceflight technologies from Star Wars? - MIT Technology Review - November 6th, 2019
- Virgin Galactic Stock Finds Its First Fan on Wall Street - Motley Fool - November 6th, 2019
- NASA's Voyager Spacecraft May Have 5 Years Left to Explore Interstellar Space - Space.com - November 6th, 2019
- The White House puts a price on the SLS rocketand it's a lot - Ars Technica - November 6th, 2019
- NASA Has a New Method For Cooling Down Electronics Crammed Together in a Spacecraft - Universe Today - November 6th, 2019
- Bezos says space industry stalwarts will help Blue Origin build moon lander - Spaceflight Now - October 24th, 2019
- Army astronaut to military medical students: You will solve the health issues of extended space flight - ArmyTimes.com - October 24th, 2019
- Virgin Galactic is set to trade on the NYSE on Monday as the first space tourism stock - CNBC - October 24th, 2019
- Now You Can Buy The Worlds First Spaceship Stock - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Rocket Lab Aims for the Moon and Beyond with New Photon Satellite Platform - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- Here's What China's Yutu 2 Rover Found on the Far Side of the Moon (Photos) - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- China Releases a New Photo of The Mystery Substance They Found on The Moon - ScienceAlert - October 24th, 2019
- DLR pursues international cooperation and future technologies for spaceflight - Space Daily - October 24th, 2019
- Finally, a Clear Look at the Weird Substance China Found on the Moon - VICE - October 24th, 2019
- Suborbital spacefliers will get pinned by the Association of Space Explorers - GeekWire - October 24th, 2019
- The space powers have gathered. Wheres China? - Quartz - October 24th, 2019
- NASA Needs to Get With the Times When It Comes to Planetary Protection, Report Finds - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- NASA names new chief of human space operations - Spaceflight Now - October 16th, 2019
- Live coverage: Rocket Lab set for fifth Electron launch of the year - Spaceflight Now - October 16th, 2019
- These are the Under Armour-designed suits for Virgin Galactics space tourists - TechCrunch - October 16th, 2019
- NASA's 1st SLS Megarocket Launch to the Moon Could Be Delayed to 2021 - Space.com - October 16th, 2019
- NASA Chief: First SpaceX (or Boeing) Crewed Space Mission Is Less Than 5 Months Away - Observer - October 16th, 2019
- Boeing Aims to Launch Unpiloted Starliner Test Flight to Space Station in December - Space.com - October 16th, 2019
- Moon VIPER: NASA Wants to Send a Water-Sniffing Rover to the Lunar South Pole in 2022 - Space.com - October 16th, 2019
- Dream Chaser Space Plane Begins Full Assembly Ahead Of First NASA Mission In 2021 - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- 11 of the biggest innovations shaping the future of spaceflight today - Business Insider - October 16th, 2019
- SpaceX news: Elon Musk is the Thomas Edison of the 21st century, claims veteran astronaut - Express.co.uk - October 16th, 2019
- This is the 1st Photo of China's Mars Explorer Launching in 2020 - Space.com - October 16th, 2019
- ISRO's Space Shuttle-like Reusable Launch Vehicle will attempt its first landing in Karnataka - Firstpost - October 16th, 2019
- NASA scientist creates engine concept that can reach 'close to the speed of light' - Fox News - October 16th, 2019
- Space Innovations So Incredible, They Just Might Work - The Planetary Society - October 16th, 2019
- Elon Musk wants to move fast with SpaceX's Starship - Spaceflight Now - October 1st, 2019
- Photos: SpaceX's first full-size Starship prototype Spaceflight Now - Spaceflight Now - October 1st, 2019
- HTV delivers batteries and experiments to space station - Spaceflight Now - October 1st, 2019
- Today's the Last Chance to Send Your Name to Mars on NASA's 2020 Rover - Space.com - October 1st, 2019
- LRO's view of Chandrayaan 2 landing site obscured by shadows - Spaceflight Now - October 1st, 2019
- Fresh batteries, experiments on the way to the International Space Station - Spaceflight Now - October 1st, 2019
- NASA's 61st birthday: 15 best spacewalk photos, space selfies and other incredible moments in spaceflight - Firstpost - October 1st, 2019
- Ad Astra predicts the future of commercial space flight, and it's a $125 blanket - SYFY WIRE - October 1st, 2019
- A Gadfly's Perspective on Human Spaceflight - The Wire - October 1st, 2019
- 321 Launch: The space news you might have missed - Florida Today - October 1st, 2019
- He almost died near Lenox. Now he wants to find the duo who saved him. - WSB Atlanta - October 1st, 2019
- Meir's journey to space will inspire other Mainers to take flight - Bangor Daily News - October 1st, 2019
- Rocket Lab crows about launch, SpaceX zipwires, and a monster mock-up arrives at Kennedy - The Register - October 1st, 2019
- Sharing a storied career of space flight | News | avpress.com - Antelope Valley Press - September 19th, 2019
- Is the Overhead Space Above Your Plane Seat Yours to Claim? - Lifehacker - September 19th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX's Crew Dragon Fire Its Abort Engines in Amazing Video Compilation - Space.com - September 19th, 2019
- Bigelow's B330 - an autonomous, expandable independent exploration space station - NASASpaceflight.com - September 19th, 2019
- NASA, SpaceX Coverage of 1st Crew Dragon Test Flight Wins Emmy - Space.com - September 19th, 2019
- China's Lunar Rover Scopes Out Weird Substance on Far Side of the Moon (Photos) - Space.com - September 19th, 2019