By the spring of 1967, Pink Floyd was at the forefront of the psychedelic rock movement that was pushing its way into mainstream popular culture.
Fronted by lead guitarist and songwriter Syd Barrett, and including bassist Roger Waters, drummer Nick Mason and organist Richard Wright, the band cracked the Top 20 in the United Kingdom with their catchy debut single, "Arnold Layne." In May 1967, they made an indelible impression with the Games for May concert at London's Queen Elizabeth Hall, featuring a quadraphonic sound system, dazzling light show and bubble-generating machine.
As described in Crazy Diamond: Syd Barrett and the Dawn of Pink Floyd, the band was fueled by the creativity of its frontman, known for his cryptic lyrics that mixed mysticism and wordplay, and an experimental guitar style that made use of echo machines and other distortions.
Sadly, the same forces that drove Barrett to artistic breakthroughs also led him down the path of self-destruction, leaving him exiled from the group shortly after they arrived on the charts and rendering him a cautionary tale as Pink Floyd became one of the biggest bands in the world.
Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd perform in 1966
Photo: Adam Ritchie/Redferns
In 1965, as the foursome that became Pink Floyd were finding their musical footing between classes at London's Regent Street Polytechnic and Camberwell College of Arts, Barrett had discovered the mind-altering effects of LSD.
The turn to psychedelics had a massive impact on the group's direction. Taking their cues from their frontman, Pink Floyd began doing away with the R&B covers that were being imitated by countless other bands from the era and embracing original sounds. And the highly intelligent Barrett, already known for marching to his own peculiar beat, began heavilyingesting LSDand producing song lyrics that were seemingly pulled from unknown realms of the cosmos.
It was that combination of original music, stage presentation and lyrical prowess that captured the attention of record companies in the first place, but by the time Pink Floyd was being presented as the next big thing in British rock, Barrett was already losing his tenuous grasp on reality through his incessant drug use.
His old friend and eventual replacement David Gilmour noticed as much when he dropped by the Chelsea Studios in May 1967 for the recording of the band's second single, "See Emily Play."
"Syd didn't seem to recognize me and just stared back," Gilmour recalled in Crazy Diamond. "I got to know that look pretty well and I'll go on record as saying that was when he changed. It was a shock. He was a different person."
Despite the mounting worries about their friend's mental health, Pink Floyd was thriving. "See Emily Play" became a bigger hit than "Arnold Layne," reaching No. 6 on the British charts.
Furthermore, Barrett had delivered a string of brilliant songs for the group's debut album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. "Chapter 24" was inspired byI Ching, the ancient Chinese text, "Astronomy Domine" and "Interstellar Overdrive" became emblematic of the group's atmospheric sound and "Bike" showcased its writer's willingness to embrace the absurd.
However, it wasn't long after Piper landed in record stores in early August 1967 that Barrett's deteriorating state began causing headaches for his bandmates. Later that month, it was reported that the drug-addled frontman was suffering from "nervous exhaustion," forcing the group to cancel its planned appearance at the National Jazz and Blues Festival.
By the time the band departed for a U.S. tour in the fall, it was clear that Barrett's public presence was becoming a major problem. He stood on stage, detuning his guitar, during a gig at the Fillmore West in San Francisco, and stared catatonically at the hosts during appearances on Dick Clark's American Bandstand and The Pat Boone Show. Alarmed, the band's managers aborted the tour to avoid additional embarrassing incidents.
Photo: Andrew Whittuck/Redferns
Meanwhile, Barrett was under pressure to produce a successful follow-up single to "See Emily Play." "Scream Thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" were deemed too dark for release, and while "Apples and Oranges" finally got the go-ahead in mid-November, it lacked the catchiness of its predecessors and flopped.
The group headed out for a U.K. tour around this time, with Barrett causing more tension by either refusing to exit the tour bus at gigs or walking off before the start of a show. Following a disastrous appearance at a Christmas concert, the band reached out to Gilmour, then fronting another struggling group called Jokers Wild.
Entering 1968 with intentions of continuing as a five-piece band, Pink Floyd tried an arrangement in which Barrett would remain on board as a behind-the-scenes songwriter, before abandoning the idea of dealing with him altogether. By March 1968, Barrett was no longer with the band he co-founded and pushed to prominence.
Within a few years, the remaining members of Pink Floyd were being celebrated as arena rock gods while Barrett's own musical career was finished, and he spent the rest of his life away from the public eye. His presence on the group's quirky early records serving as a reminder for what could have been a long and successful career for a unique, gifted artist.
Even though he was no longer a member, Barrett still had an impact on Pink Floyd, and the bands ninth studio album, Wish You Were Here, was recorded as a tribute to their co-founder.
Here is the original post:
- Psychedelics - Alcohol and Drug Foundation - December 14th, 2021
- Psychedelics in problem-solving experiment - Wikipedia - December 14th, 2021
- Mike Tyson Fighting Against The Stigma Surrounding ... - December 14th, 2021
- How MDMA and Psilocybin Became Hot ... - The New York Times - December 14th, 2021
- This isnt the 60s again: psychedelics business takes off amid culture clash - The Guardian - December 14th, 2021
- Trip to Sustainability? This Company Is Developing Synthetic Psychedelics To Attempt to Fight Mental Illn - Benzinga - December 14th, 2021
- The Public Is Being Primed To Feel Groovy About Psychedelic Drugs - CBN News - December 14th, 2021
- Thats an Old Story - The Cut - December 14th, 2021
- Looking Into The Florida Bill That Proposes Decriminalization Of Psychedelics (And Every Other Illegal Dr - Benzinga - December 14th, 2021
- When Lincoln Center Comes Down From This Trip, Theyre Going to Feel Weird - Vulture - December 14th, 2021
- "The New Cannabis" the present and future of psilocybin as a medical treatment in Canada - Lexpert - December 14th, 2021
- PharmaDrug Announces Addition of Dr. Cindy Hutnik, President of the Canadian Glaucoma Society to Their Scientific Advisory Board to Enhance Ongoing... - December 14th, 2021
- Will this music alter your mind? The most terrifying thing can do that - Sydney Morning Herald - December 14th, 2021
- Psychedelics stocks were all the rage a year ago. What happened? - The Globe and Mail - November 29th, 2021
- I have ADHD and was scared of psychedelics. Then I found myself eating magic truffles ... - The Guardian - November 29th, 2021
- Psyence Group Invited as First Psychedelic Company to present at the 15th-Annual Global Wellness Summit - GlobeNewswire - November 29th, 2021
- Weekly Roundup on the Cannabis Sector & Psychedelic Sector - Yahoo Finance - November 29th, 2021
- Psychedelics can change humanity for the better. Its time to unlock their power - The Guardian - November 29th, 2021
- New study finds 'microdosing' psychedelics can be effective in treating anxiety, depression | TheHill - The Hill - November 29th, 2021
- Entheon Biomedical: Data and DMT among the keys to creating safe and effective treatments for patients battling addiction - Proactive Investors USA... - November 29th, 2021
- The Reason I Was Wrong on Pot Stocks Is Why Im Right About This - Investorplace.com - November 29th, 2021
- The people turning to psychedelics on their deathbeds - The Independent - November 2nd, 2021
- Should psychedelics be decriminalized in California? The debate over current legislation is intensifying - CBS News 8 - November 2nd, 2021
- Psychable CEO to be Featured Speaker at Microdose Wonderland Conference to Discuss Affordability and Accessibility of Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy -... - November 2nd, 2021
- Psilocybin patent highlights the swirling battle over psychedelics IP - STAT - STAT - November 2nd, 2021
- Meet Delic Announces Full Lineup of Music, Visual and Performance Artists for Two-Day Immersive Edutainment Experience - Yahoo Finance - November 2nd, 2021
- Breaking the Habit: Psychedelic Stigma Fades as Research Points to Critical Use in Smoking Cessation and More - PRNewswire - November 2nd, 2021
- North America Continues Leading The Way In Psychedelic Wellness - PRNewswire - November 2nd, 2021
- Brain stimulation, neurofeedback, and the promise of enlightenment now - Vox.com - November 2nd, 2021
- Someone is selling psychedelics with a Squid Game poster in Vancouver | News - Daily Hive - November 2nd, 2021
- Mike Tyson says psychedelics saved his life, now he hopes they can change the world - Reuters - May 29th, 2021
- Are psychedelics the whole answer? | MHT - Mental Health Today - May 29th, 2021
- Psychedelic Therapy: Uses, How It's Done, Risks, and More - Healthline - May 29th, 2021
- Interest in the medical use of psychedelics increasing - Business in Vancouver - May 29th, 2021
- Shroom boom? Here's why investors say psychedelics are the next stock to watch. - 13newsnow.com WVEC - May 29th, 2021
- NIH Director Praises Psychedelics' Potential As Therapeutic Treatment, Touts Progress In Access To Cannabis For Research - Benzinga - May 29th, 2021
- Ive experimented with psychedelic drugs to improve my mental health dont call me a waster - The Independent - May 29th, 2021
- Can Psychedelics Actually Cure Depression and PTSD? - The Motley Fool - May 29th, 2021
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana and Psychedelic Stock News Stories of the Week - Yahoo Finance - May 29th, 2021
- NIH Director Touted Benefits of Psychedelics Including Psilocybin and MDMA - Stockhouse - May 29th, 2021
- Texas Psychedelics Research Bill Continues To Advance, Passes Senate Together With Cannabis Concentrates Measure - Benzinga - May 29th, 2021
- With Psychedelics, Mental Health Care May Never be the Same - Baystreet.ca - May 29th, 2021
- Wesana Health, WBC Partner to Study Psychedelics as Treatment for TBIs - StreetInsider.com - May 29th, 2021
- The legal and illegal ways people are turning to psychedelics as the drug regulator rejects reclassification bid - ABC News - February 4th, 2021
- Krzysztof Soszynski says psychedelics helping brain post-fighting career, hopes they're 'the future' - MMA Junkie - February 4th, 2021
- Psychedelic Mushroom Bills Filed In Florida And Connecticut As Movement Expands To Multiple States - Marijuana Moment - February 4th, 2021
- Investing in Psychedelic Medicines That Could Treat Alzheimers - Energy & Capital - February 4th, 2021
- Core One Labs Announces Its Entrance into the Ketamine Space with Proposed Acquisition of Ketamine Infusion Centers of Texas - BioSpace - February 4th, 2021
- Altering Perception: Psychedelic substances are being increasingly tested for therapeutic use for mental health conditions - The Financial Express - February 4th, 2021
- White punks on dope: Cannabis, psychedelics and the storming of the Capitol - The Independent - February 4th, 2021
- How his lifelong psychedelic journey may lead to the legalization of MDMA - The Jewish News of Northern California - November 28th, 2020
- People are increasingly open to psychedelic therapies. Whats driving that change? - The GrowthOp - November 28th, 2020
- These Four Former Pro Athletes Are Using Psychedelics To Heal Their Brain Injuries - Forbes - November 28th, 2020
- As Psychedelics Go Mainstream, Can the Industry Keep its Heart? | INN - Investing News Network - November 28th, 2020
- Combining cannabis with psychedelic mushrooms: Recipe for mind expansion or a bad trip? - Leafly - November 28th, 2020
- Psilocybin & migraine: First of its kind trial reports promising results - New Atlas - November 28th, 2020
- Rania Woodard of LANNDS on Psychedelics, Rebirth, and Normalizing Black Indie Musicians - Vanity Fair - November 28th, 2020
- Psilocybin for depression, MDMA for PTSD: The future of mental health? - Vox.com - October 14th, 2020
- What Psychedelic Mushrooms Are Teaching Us About Human Consciousness - Discover Magazine - October 14th, 2020
- Are Psychedelic Drugs Canada the Next Wellness Trend? - The Kit - October 14th, 2020
- Field Trip Health, Another Psychedelic Therapy Company, Goes Public - Forbes - October 14th, 2020
- 5 Reasons I Switched To The Psychedelic Business - Green Entrepreneur - October 14th, 2020
- Thanks to the Shroom Boom, This Small Stock Could Soar - InvestorPlace - October 14th, 2020
- /REPEAT -- New Wave: To Provide Sponsorship for the Documentary "The World on Drugs"/ - PRNewswire - October 14th, 2020
- Mandy Nolan's Soapbox: The Magic of the Mushroom Echonetdaily - Echonetdaily - October 14th, 2020
- Opening the Door to the New Psychedelics Revolution | 2020-10-09 | Investing News - Stockhouse - October 14th, 2020
- Mind Cure Health: A Glance At The Latest Additions To The Advisory Team - The Deep Dive - October 14th, 2020
- Red Light Holland's Science and Innovation Division, Scarlette Lillie Joins Medical Psychedelics Working Group with Leading Academics; Professor David... - September 18th, 2020
- These 8 books will school you in psychedelics - Big Think - September 18th, 2020
- How COVID-19 Has Impacted the Psychedelic Community | High Times - High Times - September 18th, 2020
- Doc Gallows Resurrects Sex Ferguson Character With The Help Of Psychedelics - Ringside News - August 10th, 2020
- Magic Mushrooms Might Not Be Legal Yet, But DC Could Be Heading That Direction - Our Community Now at Colorado - August 10th, 2020
- Cybin Applauds TheraPsil's Advocacy to Bring Psilocybin Therapy to Palliative Care of Canadian Patients | INN - Investing News Network - August 10th, 2020
- Cybin Applauds TheraPsil's Advocacy to Bring Psilocybin Therapy to Palliative Care of Canadian Patients - Business Wire - August 8th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelics Industry News Stories Of The Week - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- MindMed engages renowned psychedelic-assisted therapy expert Dr Peter Gasser as an advisor to its LSD experiential therapy program Project Lucy -... - August 7th, 2020
- Novamind Closes the Acquisition of Cedar Psychiatry, a Leading Psychedelic Therapy Organization in the US | INN - Investing News Network - August 6th, 2020
- Why Are Psychedelics And Mining Companies Merging In Canada? - Benzinga - August 5th, 2020
- Robyn to drop new song this week - The List - August 5th, 2020
- Election 2020: Oregon psilocybin and drug decriminalization initiatives guide - Leafly - August 3rd, 2020