The Pine Barrens of New Jersey is home to just about as many myths as it is trees. From ghost towns to interdimensional portals, if its a thing that scares people on the internet, chances are that thing is rumored to be lurking somewhere among the conifers.
Thats why when a couple of my friends asked me if I wanted to take LSD with them during our annual camping trip a few summers ago, I declined. We were deep inside Jersey Devil country, and although my sober brain didnt much believe in that kind of stuff, who knows what might emerge from my subconscious while on acid in the woods. And I didnt want to find out.
Id heard that psychedelics could change a persons outlook on life forever; that conditions had to be just right for a good trip, and something about the possibility of a hircine winged demon eyeing me through the brush didnt seem like a promising vibe.
My friend, lets call him Kevin, wasnt as worried. Kevin didnt want to use his real name for this story because, well, its about LSD.
I did it on a previous camping trip with a different group of people and had a really good time, he said.
Up to that point, Kevin had had nothing but positive experiences with psychedelics.
I would sit down, listen to [a] song just deep in my head with my eyes closed, and it just all kind of made a lot more sense to me, he said.
But this time, Kevin and another friend upped their dose.
Were sitting there by the fire for a little bit, and then it finally starts kicking in. Im kind of looking around the leaves are kind of starting to blur around a little bit and the colors are starting to pop, said Kevin. Then all of a sudden, were really not feeling the rest of the group vibe, so we decided were just going to go this way.
Before the rest of us knew it, the two were gone out wandering around the Pinelands alone and tripping, with neither direction nor drinking water.
If that sounds like a recipe for disaster, its because it could have been.
What were seeing is that so much of what is traditionally considered a bad trip is so often around set and setting, said Ryan Beauregard.
Beauregard has a degree in psychology and now manages the Zendo Project, a group of professionals and volunteers that set up facilities at concerts and festivals to help those having bad experiences on psychedelics.
Though in the past bad trips were frequently attributed to bad acid, Beauregard said, his team finds that nascent, low-level anxiety and trauma are typically to blame for the negative experiences with psychedelics that the Zendo Project helps manage.
Have you cleaned your room and have you done your homework before you go down the rabbit hole? Because these are some big and powerful substances that are going to bring up a lot, Beauregard said. If you havent taken the time to just simply declutter your space, it can take up a lot of headspace in these psychedelic realms.
How cluttered were my two friends psychedelic realms out there alone? Had they done their homework? Would that be enough keep the devils inside their heads at bay?
Just as all of us back at the campsite were going to go look for them to find out, they returned.
At the edge of our seats we inquired: How was it? What did you guys do out there?
Kevin told us about their journey.
We both just sat underneath a tree just kind of looking up, kind of moving around the tree side, kind of making this kaleidoscope thing happen. And that was cool. So we called that Kaleidoscope tree. he said.
And then there were a couple of smaller trees also on that same path that were dead on the grounds. We called them our fallen brothers.
Then finally, the big one.
We get to the end of the path and we see, boom, out in the middle of the woods up on the right, just this one very tall tree a good 20 feet away from all the other trees. We just look at it for a couple of minutes and then we finally look at each other. And were like, this is the God Tree.
They showed us how they transferred energy from the God Tree to a smaller one named Baby Energy Tree. They made us kneel before it and pray. We didnt know exactly what we were praying to or for, but whatever it was, it was good.
From an outsiders perspective, this spiritual transcendence looked remarkably like it was made of the type of stuff that could change someone forever: a one-way ticket to Zen, courtesy of two tabs of LSD and a forest filled with otherworldly projections.
But for Kevin, that sort of lasting impact wouldnt come until he dropped acid again a few months later, on a different camping trip with another group of friends.
I wanted to listen to music. So I go into my car, I grabbed my headphones, then I just laid back down on the grass. And then the next three hours were just crazy visual, he said. Some of them were pretty terrifying.
Every time the bass dropped, Kevin felt the earth violently rotate 90 degrees.
I was just kind of getting lost. And then all of a sudden they hear an airplane or helicopter or something kind of go overhead. And then for whatever reason, I just envisioned, like the military coming. I just imagined missiles striking down on this one point in the ground, he said.
Then Kevin said he saw one of his friends set a section of grass on fire.
I could just feel the heat. I just felt like everyone was burning. I would just see plastic cups kind of just melting and then like people on fire, he said, and then I thought, Oh no, what have we gotten ourselves into?
Kevin had gotten himself into a bad trip. It took him hours to return to a normal state, but once he did, he was different in a good way.
I just feel like it kind of put the world in a different perspective, he said.
Beauregard, from the Zendo Project, said that while complex reactions to psychedelics and bad trips like Kevins arent uncommon, theyre not for everyone and not always without consequence.
In 2008, Beauregard traveled to Peru to take part in a psychedelic ritual. There, he suffered what he described as a psychotic break that lasted for three weeks.
I had, you know, created an internal reality, that at some point, it was like I dove through a wormhole. Man, it just felt really scary, Beauregard said. I think theres so much about this idea that psychedelics are the magic pill, but the reality is, I think they make more work for us. Like once youve pulled those veils away, you cant unsee those things.
Kevin is still doing that work.
I feel like I learned to appreciate life and just not really worried about things. I did kind of burn alive for a couple of minutes, so I feel like Ive already experienced some bad things, so nothing probably would come close to that, he said.
He even returned to the God Tree.
Ive gone back there a couple other times, Ive also done other acid or other things and then just kind of went on the same path. But it really wasnt the same thing. he said.
And thats OK with him. That dead tree may live in our imaginations forever, alongside the other legends out there in the Pinelands, but at the very least Kevin avoided becoming one himself that day.
As for what this all means for the next camping trip, I dont know.
If one of my friends decides to explore their inner wilderness God Trees, Devils and all in the actual wilderness, thats their choice.
All I can do is make sure they dont stray too far from camp.
- The Psychedelic Renaissance with the former VP of content at High Times (Brains Byte Back podcast) - The Sociable - May 19th, 2020
- Psychedelic experiences disrupt routine thinking and so has the coronavirus pandemic - The Conversation CA - May 19th, 2020
- Have a Good Trip Demystifies Psychedelics - The New Republic - May 19th, 2020
- Psilocybin: An Effective Treatment for Weight Loss and Food Craving? - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- This Trippy Oregon Theme Park Is Like A Psychedelic Disneyland - Thrillist - May 19th, 2020
- Novamind and Buzz Capital Announce Qualifying Transaction TSX Venture Exchange:BUZ-P - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- REPEAT - Champignon Sponsors Non-profit Coalition, TheraPsil - Medical Psilocybin Access Project for Palliative Cancer Patients and Health... - May 19th, 2020
- Revive Therapeutics Provides Corporate Update on its Pharmaceutical Initiatives - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Celebrities share LSD trips in Netflix documentary 'Have A Good Trip' - Insider - INSIDER - May 5th, 2020
- Netflix And Trip: Take A Psychedelic Adventure In This Star-Studded Documentary - Forbes - May 5th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelics Industry News Stories Of The Week - Benzinga - May 5th, 2020
- Have a Good Trip Review: Netflix LSD Doc Is Way Too High on Its Own Supply - IndieWire - May 5th, 2020
- Entheon Biomedical CEO Timothy Ko On The Potential Of Psychedelics In Addiction Treatment - Benzinga - May 5th, 2020
- Netflix Reveals Celebrities' Wildest Drug Trips, From Anthony Bourdain to Carrie Fisher - The Daily Beast - May 5th, 2020
- The 'Billions' Stock Watch: It's Time For Psychedelics And Subterfuge - UPROXX - May 5th, 2020
- Prohibition Partners Teams Up With Mazakali For Live Investor Event - Green Market Report - May 5th, 2020
- Psychedelics - Alcohol and Drug Foundation - March 26th, 2020
- Psychedelics - Mushrooms, LSD, Salvia - March 26th, 2020
- The 12 Most Popular Psychedelic Drugs | Ocean Breeze Recovery - March 26th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelics Industry News Stories Of The Week - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Green Rush Podcast: Bruce Linton On Psychedelics, Listing On The NEO, And The Difference Between 'Going Public' And 'Being Public' - Benzinga - March 26th, 2020
- Microdosing: taking illegal psychedelic drugs as a form of therapy - does it actually work? - Now To Love - March 26th, 2020
- Psilocybin: The magic ingredient in psychedelic shrooms - Livescience.com - January 30th, 2020
- Are Investors Ready To Change Their Minds About Psychedelic Drugs? - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- What ongoing research suggests about psychedelics ability to improve mental health - FOX 59 Indianapolis - January 30th, 2020
- Could psychedelics help us resolve the climate crisis? - The Conversation UK - January 30th, 2020
- Psychedelic therapy benefits persist five years after treatment - New Atlas - January 30th, 2020
- Synthetic psychedelic drug effective in reducing alcohol intake in a rodent model of addiction - PsyPost - January 30th, 2020
- What it's like to take part in a psychedelic retreat - The Independent - January 30th, 2020
- Volunteers push to legalize the therapeutic uses of psychedelic mushrooms - Daily Astorian - January 30th, 2020
- Canadian psychedelic drug researcher featured in Paltrows Netflix show The Goop Lab - The Globe and Mail - January 30th, 2020
- 5 years after taking one dose of magic mushrooms, a gaggle of most cancers sufferers nonetheless really feel much less despair and nervousness -... - January 30th, 2020
- What is Psychedelic Psychotherapy? Does it Really Work? Is The Goop Lab Fake? - The Cinemaholic - January 30th, 2020
- Psychedelic Events Are Going Mainstream, Where The Much-Maligned Mushroom Industry Focuses On Mental Health - Forbes - January 16th, 2020
- How researchers and advocates of color are forging their own paths in psychedelic-assisted therapy - WHYY - January 16th, 2020
- NYC To Host Economics Of Psychedelics Investing Summit - Benzinga - January 16th, 2020
- A CIA chemist, mind control and the return of psychedelic drugs - The Boston Globe - January 13th, 2020
- Gwyneth Paltrow's New Netflix Docuseries Is Full of Psychedelics and Orgasms - Vogue - January 13th, 2020
- Syd Barrett: How LSD Created and Destroyed His Career With Pink Floyd - Biography - January 13th, 2020
- Psychadelic Events Are Going Mainstream, Where The Much-Maligned Mushroom Industry Focuses On Mental Health - Forbes - January 12th, 2020
- Editorial: Psychonaut of the week - Echonetdaily - January 12th, 2020
- Rats on DMT hint at the benefits of psychedelic microdosing - Inverse - January 5th, 2020
- Psychedelic Drugs: Researchers experimenting with active agent in magic mushrooms to treat addiction, depression and anxiety - 60 Minutes - CBS News - January 5th, 2020
- Psychedelics Were Already Having a Good Year. Then Andrew Yang Tweeted - VICE - December 23rd, 2019
- Psychedelics and Wellness: What's the Connection? - Psych Congress Network - December 23rd, 2019
- Bruce Linton Talks Psychedelics Investments, Microdosing And LSD: 'The Therapeutic Potential Of Psychedelics Is Greater Than Cannabinoids' - Benzinga - December 23rd, 2019
- Why Doctors Are Turning to Psychedelics to Treat Depression & Addiction - Men's Journal - December 23rd, 2019
- Anxiety, depression and the new science of psychedelics part two - ABC News - November 13th, 2019
- Keeno Ahmed-Jones: Getting out of the psychedelic closet - Straight.com - November 13th, 2019
- Call for patients to take part in anorexia psilocybin treatment study - Health Europa - November 13th, 2019
- The Two Black Women Helping To Reclaim & Encourage Natural Psychedelics Use In Oakland - Okayplayer - October 29th, 2019
- Shirola: U.S. government should ease legal barriers to research and treatment with psychedelics - Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2019
- Molecule Catalyst and UTM to crowdfund psychedelics research with blockchain - Decrypt - October 29th, 2019
- Psilocybin: Active agent in magic mushrooms could treat addiction, depression and anxiety - 60 Minutes - CBS News - October 16th, 2019
- Psilocybin: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com - October 16th, 2019
- Psychedelic Toad Venom Is the New Trendy Hallucinogenic - Addiction Center - October 16th, 2019
- What You Can Learn From Snorting Two Lines of LSD - TheStranger.com - October 1st, 2019
- The second coming of psychedelics in pop culture - Happy Mag - October 1st, 2019
- Exploring the changing relationship between sex and drugs - Dazed - October 1st, 2019
- How to Safely Use LSD - How to Use Psychedelics - June 3rd, 2019
- How to Treat Depression with Psychedelics - April 20th, 2019
- Can You Take Psychedelics With Antidepressants? - April 20th, 2019
- Beginners Guide to Microdosing Psychedelics - April 20th, 2019
- Learn Everything You Need To Know About MDMA (Ecstasy) - April 20th, 2019
- Psychedelic drug - Wikipedia - March 1st, 2019
- Psychedelic art - Wikipedia - February 19th, 2019
- Psychedelic Drugs and the Serotonergic System - February 19th, 2019
- How to Use MDMA (Molly) - How to Use Psychedelics - February 19th, 2019
- How to Take Mushrooms (Psilocybin mushrooms / Shrooms ... - February 19th, 2019
- Tim Ferriss: depression, psychedelics, and emotional ... - January 7th, 2019
- Psychedelics - Pharmacological Reviews - December 18th, 2018
- Psychedelia - Wikipedia - December 18th, 2018
- A Microdose Of “Magic Mushrooms” Could Unleash Your Creativity - October 29th, 2018
- Famous Users of Psychedelics - How to Use Psychedelics for ... - June 14th, 2018
- How to Use MDMA - June 9th, 2018
- Psychedelics - PsychonautWiki - May 28th, 2018
- Microdosing: The Revolutionary Way of Using Psychedelics ... - May 25th, 2018
- The Truth About What Psychedelics Do to Your Brain - May 17th, 2018
- Do Psychedelics Carry A Heart Risk? - The Third Wave - May 4th, 2018
- 6 facts about psychedelic drugs that will totally blow ... - April 24th, 2018