| Published: Saturday, October 10, 2020, 14:01 [IST]
New Delhi, Oct 10: China has "attempted to seize" control of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with India "by force" as part of its territorial aggression, US' National Security Adviser has said, underlining that time has come to accept that dialogue and agreements will not persuade Beijing to change.
India and China are locked in a five-month-long tense standoff in eastern Ladakh that has significantly strained relations between New Delhi and Beijing. Both sides have held a series of high-level diplomatic and military talks to resolve the border row. However, no breakthrough has been achieved to end the standoff.
China has deployed 60k soldiers on Indias northern border: Mike Pompeo
"Chinese Communist Party's territorial aggression is also apparent on its Indian border where China has attempted to seize control of the Line of Actual Control by force," US National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien said in a remark on China early this week in Utah.
China's territorial aggression is also true in the Taiwan Strait where the PLA (People's Liberation Army) Navy and Air Force continue to conduct threatening military drills, O'Brien said.
"Beijing's signature international development programme, One Belt One Road (OBOR), involves impoverished companies taking on opaque and unsustainable Chinese loans to pay Chinese firms employing Chinese labourers to build their infrastructure," he said.
Many of these projects are unnecessary, shoddily built and are "white elephants", the US National Security Adviser said.
"And now these countries' dependence on the Chinese debt leaves their sovereignty eroded and with no choice but to hue to the party's line on UN votes or any other issue that the Chinese Communist Party considers a red line," he said.
O'Brien also noted that China's other international aid efforts include selling surveillance systems and similar tools of repression to "pariah regimes" around the world, including Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro.
Amidst face-off with China, the importance of Rustom-2 in Indias arsenal
"The time has come to accept that dialogue and agreements will not persuade or compel the People's Republic of China to change. There's nothing to be gained from looking the other way or turning the other cheek. We've been doing that for far too long," he said.
O'Brien said the US must stand up to the Chinese and protect the American people.
"We must promote American prosperity, practice peace through strength and advance American influence in the world," he said, adding that under President Donald Trump's leadership that is exactly what the US has done.
O'Brien said the Trump administration has adopted a competitive approach to China.
That approach, he said, has two primary objectives. First, improve the resiliency of US institutions, alliances and partnerships to prevail against the challenges that China presents; and the second is to impose tangible cost in order to compel Beijing to cease or reduce actions harmful to America's vital national interest and those of its allied and partner nations.
"President Trump has taken decisive action to meet these objectives. He is working to prevent companies that answer to the Chinese Communist Party's intelligence and security apparatus," O'Brien said.
Citing examples, he said Chinese telecommunications giants Huawei and ZTE have been prevented from accessing Americans' personal and private data and national secrets. The Trump administration, he said, has also imposed import and export restrictions on US semiconductor technology and other exports going to Huawei and similar Chinese telecommunications corporations.
Our democratic partners are starting to follow. Just last month, the UK joined democracies such as the Czech Republic, Denmark, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Sweden in committing to using trusted suppliers to build their future 5G networks, O'Brien said.
"Carriers like Jio in India, Telstra in Australia, SK and KT in South Korea, NTT in Japan, and others have prohibited the use of Huawei equipment in their networks. The Trump administration is investigating and prosecuting the economic espionage aggressively," he said.
O'Brien said the Trump administration has strengthened its military relationships in the Indo-Pacific region.
"One important partnership which will be one of the most key partnerships for the United States in the 21st century, India, is thriving," he said.
He also noted that the US has signed extended US military access to Singapore's air and naval bases. The country is also working closely with Japan, Australia and New Zealand to strengthen relationships with the Pacific Islands, especially Timor. It is also working closely with Mongolia.
However, O'Brien said even as the US competes with China, it does welcome cooperation where America's interests align.
"The US has a deep and abiding respect for the Chinese people and enjoys longstanding ties to that country, including our alliance in World War II," O'Brien said.
For Breaking News and Instant Updates
You have already subscribed
Go here to see the original:
- NSA: We 'don't know when or even if' a quantum computer will ever be able to break today's public-key encryption - The Register - September 5th, 2021
- Opportune moment for indigenous development of 5G NSA & SA by C-DOT: Prakash - United News of India - September 5th, 2021
- A Softening Economy Will Be Buffeted By Stimulus Withdrawal And Delta-Variant Surge - Forbes - September 5th, 2021
- Actions of IT giants pave the way for states to monopolize data Snowden - TASS - September 5th, 2021
- Microsoft's Azure Government Top Secret Cloud: All you need to know - TechHQ - September 5th, 2021
- The Scandalous History of the Last Rotor Cipher Machine - IEEE Spectrum - September 5th, 2021
- The NSA Does Not Deny Reading Tucker Carlsons Emails - July 12th, 2021
- Home, but Not Free: NSA Whistleblower Reality Winner Adjusts to Her Release From Prison - The Intercept - July 12th, 2021
- Congress newest subcommittee is focusing on cyber troops and JEDI - Federal News Network - February 11th, 2021
- End the war on whistleblowers - The Week - February 11th, 2021
- NSA Warned Russia to Stay Out Of 2020 Election And Got SolarWinds Hack Instead - NPR - February 1st, 2021
- Biden administration will build on the Quad: NSA Jake Sullivan - The Hindu - February 1st, 2021
- William P. Crowell, Former Deputy Director of the National Security Agency, Joins LookingGlass Advisory Board - HSToday - February 1st, 2021
- SolarWinds Is Not the 'Hack of the Century.' Its Blowback for the NSA's Longtime Dominance of Cyberspace - Common Dreams - February 1st, 2021
- NSA fumes over the violation of coronavirus safety protocols - GhanaWeb - February 1st, 2021
- A Top Biden Cybersecurity Aide Donated Over $500000 to AIPAC as an NSA Official Mother Jones - Mother Jones - February 1st, 2021
- What to expect from NASS and NASED conferences - Politico - February 1st, 2021
- Companies Pay Criminal Penalties And Compensation For Undermining Competition - JD Supra - February 1st, 2021
- Split Up NSA and CYBERCOM - Defense One - December 28th, 2020
- Edward Snowden Pardon and the SolarWinds Hack | - City Journal - December 28th, 2020
- Edward Snowden and wife share photos of newborn son amid push for Trump to pardon NSA leaker - Washington Times - December 28th, 2020
- NSA Year in Review: Election Security, Cybersecurity, and More - HSToday - December 28th, 2020
- No, the United States Does Not Spend Too Much on Cyber Offense - Council on Foreign Relations - December 28th, 2020
- The US has suffered a massive cyberbreach. It's hard to overstate how bad it is - The Guardian - December 28th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto from NSA, AntiChrist and Other Bitcoin Conspiracy Theories - Cryptonews - December 28th, 2020
- How A Cybersecurity Firm Uncovered The Massive Computer Hack - NPR - December 28th, 2020
- Snowden and Assange Deserve Pardons. So Do the Whistleblowers Trump Imprisoned. - The Intercept - December 28th, 2020
- National Security Agency - Wikipedia - October 10th, 2020
- How to choose the right multifactor authentication program - Federal News Network - October 10th, 2020
- UofL to launch health care cybersecurity curriculum with $6.3 million from National Security Agency, pilot focused on veterans and first responders -... - October 10th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Trust Announces Date of its Third Quarter 2020 Earnings Release and Conference Call - Business Wire - October 10th, 2020
- NSA announces new Autumn webinar series 'Feeding the flock and getting it right' - The Scottish Farmer - October 10th, 2020
- How the NSA is disrupting foreign hackers targeting COVID-19 vaccine research - TechCrunch - September 18th, 2020
- Crime Prevention and Community Outreach, Common Goals for NSA and NYPD Commissioner - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - September 18th, 2020
- Deputy NSA gets one year extension - The Hindu - September 18th, 2020
- Exceeding All Expectations: A Journey of Adversity, Triumph and Eternal Optimism - Worth - September 18th, 2020
- Huge threat to national security as hackers attack NIC computers, steal sensitive information - DNA India - September 18th, 2020
- Police: 2 more held in Agra boys kidnap-murder, NSA to be invoked - The Indian Express - September 18th, 2020
- NSA to be invoked against miscreants involved in killing Malihabad farmer: Lucknow DM - Outlook India - September 18th, 2020
- Did the NSA spy on Congress? RT The World According to Jesse - RT - September 5th, 2020
- Nebraska native, 101, defied convention: She served in South Pacific, with MacArthur and at NSA - Omaha World-Herald - September 5th, 2020
- NSA Ajit Doval reviews situation at India-China border - The New Indian Express - September 5th, 2020
- NSA Webinar Part 3: Skills Development and the future of learning during and post the Covid-19 pandemic - Mail and Guardian - September 5th, 2020
- ICE Robotics Expands Offering With NSA Partnership - CleanLink - September 4th, 2020
- National Security Agency | History, Role, & Surveillance ... - August 16th, 2020
- The NSA and FBI Expose Fancy Bear's Sneaky Hacking Tool - WIRED - August 16th, 2020
- NSA and FBI Expose Russian Previously Undisclosed Malware Drovorub in Cybersecurity Advisory FBI - Federal Bureau of Investigation - August 16th, 2020
- Shah Faesal reached out to NSA before he quit party; open to IAS return - Hindustan Times - August 16th, 2020
- How has the pandemic impacted work at the NSA? - C4ISRNet - August 10th, 2020
- Election interference efforts have shifted, NSA and Cyber Command election threats leads say - CyberScoop - August 10th, 2020
- Did Hedge Funds Make The Right Call On National Storage Affiliates Trust (NSA)? - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- National Speakers Association Inducts Mary Kelly, Ph. D. into the Speaker Hall of Fame - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - August 10th, 2020
- For 2020 Election, Threat is Bigger than Russia > US DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE - Department of Defense - August 10th, 2020
- The White House reportedly quashed part of an intelligence report that showed Russia is helping the Trump campaign - MSN Money - August 10th, 2020
- GFA Express Appreciation To NSA | General Sports - Peace FM Online - August 10th, 2020
- NSA O'Brien Says US Has 'Sanctioned The Heck Out Of Russia' - Newsmax - August 10th, 2020
- DHS Warns of a Persistent Cyber Threat Targeting Critical Infrastructure in the U.S. - CPO Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Money Explodes; Gold Glitters; The Recovery Slows - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- NSA Reports on New Cyber Vulnerability in Computers - ExecutiveGov - August 10th, 2020
- The Trump administration reportedly quashed an intelligence report that showed Russia is helping him win the 2020 election - MSN Money - August 10th, 2020
- There Will Be Blowback - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- What and how are you thinking? Anything is possible - Martins Ferry Times Leader - August 10th, 2020
- TikTok and National Security: The Need for a Comprehensive U.S. Privacy Law - Security Boulevard - August 10th, 2020
- Buhari to overhaul the nation's security apparatus, says NSA - TheCable - August 10th, 2020
- Trump quashed report section showing Russia is helping him win 2020 - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 9th, 2020
- NSA Sheep 2020 to be a virtual sheep show - South West Farmer - August 8th, 2020
- All you need to hijack a Mac is an old Office document and a .zip file - TechRadar - August 8th, 2020
- Silicon Valley's Vast Data Collection Should Worry You More Than TikTok - Jacobin magazine - August 8th, 2020
- T-Mobile Is The First Carrier Globally To Launch Nationwide Standalone (SA) 5G - Forbes - August 7th, 2020
- The Room Where It Happened: Former US NSA exposes the frailties of the Trump administration - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- NSA Sheep 2020 to go virtual over two days - FarmingUK - July 31st, 2020
- Protect Our Power Urges Vigilance in Response to NSA and CISA Warning on Critical Infrastructure - PRNewswire - July 31st, 2020
- A "Time of Heightened Tensions": Homeland Security and National Security Agency Issue Joint Cybersecurity Alert - JD Supra - July 31st, 2020
- Amid 'heightened tensions,' US government issues warning to critical infrastructure providers - Utility Dive - July 31st, 2020
- Garmin Hack, Glitch in Flight Navigation and an NSA Warning: The Massive Threat of WastedLocker - News18 - July 31st, 2020
- Netflix is looking to Splinter Cell for its next big video game adaptation - The Verge - July 31st, 2020
- US real GDP to expand by 15% in Q3 TDS - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- Two Rebels Against the Establishment: Oliver Stone and Edward Snowden - CounterPunch - July 31st, 2020
- Orange announces it will launch 5G later this year - Explica - July 31st, 2020
- Privacy Shield Struck Down: Schrems II Just When You Thought it Was Safe to Go Back in the Harbor - JD Supra - July 31st, 2020