Retirees primarily use financial advisers as their source of information but look at a wide range of sources for their financial management needs, according to the 130,000-strong National Seniors Australia group.
In a 2017 study involving over 5,000 NSA members, Seniors more savvy about retirement income, 59 per cent reported getting information on retirement from their financial adviser but only 12 per cent used it as a single source, with the complexity of the retirement system forcing people to use their super fund, Centrelink, their bank or family and friends for guidance.
Advisers need to be far more aware of how their advice is part of an ecosystem, says NSA chief advocate Ian Henschke.
In its recent submission to the Retirement Income Review, the NSA referred to their earlier report to highlight the complexity of the retirement system and the value of financial advice to retirees.
National Seniors believes most people would not have sufficient knowledge and understanding of the retirement income system without some form of help, the submissions stated, before noting that retirees would be unlikely to achieve desired outcomes without formal financial advice.
Yet advisers are rarely seen as the single source of truth by retirees.
Sites like ours, government information sites such as Centrelink, their super funds, as well as family and friends all were cited as sources used to inform their decisions, Henschke says.
The NSA argue in its submission that third party expertise is particularly important in Australia because our retirement system privatises responsibility. As the superannuation system matures, this reliance will only grow, hence the importance of advisers working together with other information providers cater to these needs.
Nine per cent of respondents in the 2017 report said they didnt need financial information for retirement, and 25 per cent said they only used a single source of information. The majority of those that only used a single source used a financial adviser.
The average age among member participants was 68. Most were retirees, Henschke explains, but retirement is not a pre-requisite for NSA membership, which costs $45 annually.
Only a handful of respondents relied on any one of the other sources as their sole source of financial information about retirement, indicating that older Australians are weighing their options and doing research before making major decisions, the report stated.
It went on to compare financial advisers to medical professionals, saying NSA members chose these types of authoritative intermediaries as sources of health and lifestyle information.
The use of financial advisers remains high and their ability to deal with changing retirement benefits and rules is critical, not just in finance matters but in care choices which are also complex and dependent on good financial advice, it states.
A separate January 2020 NSA report, Retirement income worry: Who worries and why, took a deeper look into the mindset of retirees in terms of their retirement income. Comments on financial advice were mixed, the report states, but indicated broad satisfaction.
Looking closer at the impact of the sources and sufficiency of advice, we can see that respondents thought that financial advisers made a positive impact.
*To register for the 2020 Retirement Conference in Sydney on March 31, presented by Investment Magazine, Professional Planner and the Financial Planning Association of Australia, visit here.
Tahn Sharpe is a Sydney-based financial services journalist with a background in financial planning. He writes on advice, superannuation, investment, banking and insurance issues, is a certified SMSF Adviser and holds an Advanced Diploma of Financial Planning.
- Edward Snowden will not be pardoned in his lifetime, says author of new book on the NSA whistleblower - Yahoo News - May 22nd, 2020
- Someone is trying to catfish women by pretending to be Paul Nakasone - CyberScoop - May 22nd, 2020
- Myanmar hands over 22 Northeast insurgents to India, operation monitored by NSA Ajit Doval - ThePrint - May 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus: Sports associations in Singapore stretched but strive to keep staff, salaries intact - The Straits Times - May 22nd, 2020
- Post-Covid, nations will look inwards; India should look at neighbourhood: Ex-NSA - Observer Research Foundation - May 22nd, 2020
- Journalist Who Helped Break Snowden's Story Reflects On His High-Stakes Reporting - WFDD - May 22nd, 2020
- National Security Agency - Wikipedia - May 15th, 2020
- Q&A: What is 'unmasking'? - The Southern - May 15th, 2020
- National Intelligence Report Shows The FBI Never Gets Warrants For Its Backdoor Searches Of NSA Collections - Techdirt - May 15th, 2020
- The NSA has Values and Baby Monitors Go Hi-Tech - CTech - May 15th, 2020
- NSA Ajit Doval packs in 3 blunt messages to Pak in daily PoK weather forecast - Hindustan Times - May 15th, 2020
- NSA welcomes start of trade talks with the US - Darlington and Stockton Times - May 15th, 2020
- Blame NSA for May 9 Disaster - Referee Wilson Sey, man in centre of the fateful game - GhanaWeb - May 15th, 2020
- A discovered malware sample uses code from the NSA and a Chinese hacking group - CyberScoop - May 9th, 2020
- FISA Surveillance and Possible Reforms Are Back on the Senate's Agenda - Reason - May 9th, 2020
- Little League, city softball, others still in holding pattern - Midland Daily News - May 9th, 2020
- Covid-19 different from Tiananmen, China wont be able to tide over crisis: Ex-NSA Menon - ThePrint - May 9th, 2020
- Dismay, confusion over St. Paul Park charter school's impending closure - Bring Me The News - May 9th, 2020
- Operation Jackboot: NSA Ajit Dovals brainchild that eliminated Hizbul Mujahideen chief Riyaz Naikoo - Times Now - May 9th, 2020
- Redmi K30 5G Extreme Edition with 48MP main camera to arrive on May 11 - Gizchina.com - May 9th, 2020
- The FBI Set Flynn Up to Preserve the TrumpRussia Probe - National Review - May 5th, 2020
- Keysight First to Gain Approval from 3GPP for 5G New Radio Protocol Test Cases that Support Carrier Aggregation - EE Journal - May 5th, 2020
- Liberia: Chief Medical Officer Confirms the Investigation of Lab Technicians over 'Leaked' COVID-19 Results - Front Page Africa - May 5th, 2020
- The reach of cyberattacks related to Covid-19 - Politico - April 26th, 2020
- Odisha to invoke NSA for attacks against doctors and healthcare personnel - Economic Times - April 26th, 2020
- NSA Web Shell Advisory and Mitigation Tools Published on GitHub - Computer Business Review - April 26th, 2020
- Six test corona positive in MP after visiting hair-cutting salon that served COVID-19 patient earlier - The New Indian Express - April 26th, 2020
- Washington fights to stay in Syria game from isolated base - The Arab Weekly - April 26th, 2020
- The Reverend John J. Morris, Served 27 Years At OLL - My veronanj - April 26th, 2020
- How a girl grasped the Holy Grail of encryption and changed the paradigm for safely sharing data - SiliconANGLE - April 14th, 2020
- Weird Hours, Contractor Concerns: How the Intelligence Community Is Grappling with Coronavirus - Defense One - April 14th, 2020
- How the National Sheriffs' Association is working to assist agencies in the COVID-19 crisis - Police News - April 14th, 2020
- Walkers asked to heed rules - Craven Herald - April 14th, 2020
- Use of Zoom app with security weaknesses cause of concern - indica News - April 14th, 2020
- All you need to know about the all-new OnePlus 8 Series - TechPP - April 14th, 2020
- What is the National Security Act, (NSA),1980 and when is it imposed? - Jagran Josh - April 11th, 2020
- February construction unemployment rates down in 37 states year over year - AZ Big Media - April 11th, 2020
- NSA Sheep Event and NSA Scotsheep 2020 postponed - Agriland.co.uk - April 9th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Announces Internalization of Its Largest PRO and Appointment of David Cramer as Its Chief Operating Officer - Business... - April 2nd, 2020
- NSA Ajit Doval met Nizamuddin event organisers, convinced them about threat it poses - MyNation - April 2nd, 2020
- TikTok popularity irrefutably correlated with US unemployment claims - The Tech - April 2nd, 2020
- 4 candidates vie to be militarys next spy chief - POLITICO - April 2nd, 2020
- Ex-NSA hacker finds new Zoom flaws to takeover Macs all over again, together with webcam, mic, and root obtain - Mash Viral - April 2nd, 2020
- Heres How The National Security Agency Will Protect Itself During A Pandemic - BuzzFeed News - March 16th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Trust (NSA) distance from 20-day Simple moving Average is -15.14% : What to Expect? - The InvestChronicle - March 16th, 2020
- Even With Corona Virus, the Show Must Go On - Wheeling Intelligencer - March 16th, 2020
- Over Objections From Privacy Advocates, Tame Surveillance Bill Sails Through the House - Reason - March 16th, 2020
- Ensuring the Cybersecurity and Resilience of the Defense Industrial Base - Lawfare - March 16th, 2020
- To Defend Forward, the U.S. Must Strengthen the Cyber Mission Force - Lawfare - March 16th, 2020
- Four priorities of the education agenda - The Daily Star - March 16th, 2020
- Is an *NSYNC Reunion Any Closer to Reality? Weve Been Talking, Says Lance Bass - Variety - March 16th, 2020
- NSA Offers Suggestions on Restructuring the IRS - CPAPracticeAdvisor.com - February 24th, 2020
- NSA whistleblower petitions Trump for clemency | TheHill - The Hill - February 24th, 2020
- Dont distract COAS, Buratai over Buharis NSA/Chief of Staff face-off, former CP cautions - Vanguard - February 24th, 2020
- PSA to honor ABAP as NSA of the Year - ABS-CBN Sports - February 24th, 2020
- Congress set for clash over surveillance reforms | TheHill - The Hill - February 24th, 2020
- Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and NSA among Trump`s high-level delegation to India - WION - February 24th, 2020
- Statement on the Firing of Oakland Police Chief Kirkpatrick - SF Bay Area Indymedia - February 24th, 2020
- National Storage Affiliates Trust (NSA) overbought Stock to Bite? We have reviewed it - News Welcome - February 12th, 2020
- Unclear NSA CIO Role Puts the Agency's IT at Risk, IG Says - Nextgov - January 30th, 2020
- Remember the Clipper chip? NSA's botched backdoor-for-Feds from 1993 still influences today's encryption debates - The Register - January 30th, 2020
- What we discussed with Buhari at security meeting NSA - The News - January 30th, 2020
- Powerful lawmakers join effort to kill surveillance program protected by Trump administration - POLITICO - January 30th, 2020
- Edward Snowden warns that Assange and Greenwald prosecutions mark new stage in assault on press freedom - World Socialist Web Site - January 30th, 2020
- Home Prices Rose in All 20 Metro Areas Reported by S&P - Professional Builder - January 30th, 2020
- Sheep farmers invited to the NI NSA AGM - Farming Life - January 30th, 2020
- Explaining why Reality Winner is still in prison with Kerry Howley: podcast and transcript - NBC News - January 30th, 2020
- New Maryland Bill Will Make Possession of Ransomware Illegal - CryptoVibes - January 30th, 2020
- Microsoft patches Windows 10 after NSA finds vulnerability - January 19th, 2020
- NSA goes public with Windows security vulnerability - Technical.ly DC - January 19th, 2020
- NSA tips off Microsoft to security flaw | TheHill - The Hill - January 19th, 2020
- Edward Snowden - Wikipedia - January 16th, 2020
- The Decade We Learned Theres No Such Thing as Privacy Online - VICE - January 5th, 2020
- NSA O'Brien on North Korea: 'We Have a Lot of Tools in Our Toolkit' - MRCTV - January 5th, 2020
- McKean County man serves and protects as a dog handler in the U.S. Navy - Olean Times Herald - January 5th, 2020
- On CAA and Article 370, former NSA Shivshankar Menon warns India of international isolation - Scroll.in - January 5th, 2020
- NSA 'cautious' response to UK farm funding - The Scottish Farmer - January 5th, 2020
- Jewel v. NSA: On to the Ninth Circuit: 2019 Year in Review - EFF - December 28th, 2019
- Popular messaging app is UAE spy tool, developed by firm employing ex-NSA and Israeli intel officers - Haaretz - December 28th, 2019
- No Surprise: Judge Says US Government Can Take The Proceeds From Snowden's Book - Techdirt - December 28th, 2019