GREENSBORO Farmers, agriculture businesses and investors alike are looking to capitalize on North Carolinas emerging industrial hemp market.
To better support the states agri-business ecosystem, Greensboro-based research and development hub Gateway Research Park wants to gather and communicate the latest insights into all things hemp. As part of their initiative to do so, theyre hosting a conference bringing together leaders in the space to discuss the opportunities and regulatory considerations presented by the industry.
The Piedmont Triad Industrial Hemp Conference, set for October 17 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., will highlight federal and state agriculture policy, along with insight into industrial hemp growing practices, uses and CBD production. The event also features industry perspectives from growers, processors, biomass testers and legal experts.
Gateway Research Park Executive Director John Merrill says he and his team were inspired to start the conference due to the increasing level of interest in industrial hemp.
Like many people, weve been watching whats been going on in industrial hemp, Merrill says. Its a pretty intriguing crop, given the myriad of uses that you can have for the byproducts that come from it.
In order to understand these uses and opportunities, Gateway reached out to a broad cross-section of leaders from industry, academia and government to share their knowledge on where the industry is headed.
Throughout the day, the audience will hear panels and presentations from speakers representing the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), theNC Industrial Hemp Association, NC A&T State University and NC State University, as well as companies like Asheboro-based Innovative AgriProducts,Growers Hemp, Durham-based Avazyme, Inc.
Hemp policy and regulation will be a major topic for discussion at the conference. Newly enacted federal programs and state spending are providing more support for hemp production in North Carolinas agri-business sector.
In 2017, North Carolina began operating a hemp pilot research program that allowed farmers to receive a license to grow industrial hemp for research purposes. Opportunities were further broadened last December through the passage of the federal 2018 Agriculture Improvement Act (or 2018 Farm Bill), which officially made hemp a legal agricultural commodity. The law allows hemp cultivation not just for research and development, but also for commercial sale and cross-state transport.
With OK from Congress, US hemp market set to boom
After the law was enacted, what weve seen over the last 12-18 months is more dialogue about industrial hemp, more articles in newspapers and social media, and an increasing level of interest in industrial hemp and where it goes from here, Merrill said.
The industrial hemp field has generated a strong response from North Carolina legislators, growers and entrepreneurs, says Garland Burton Jr., principal at Charlotte real estate development firm Liberty Atlantic Group, which is a co-presenter of the conference.
Were starting to see strong interest from financial markets insurers, banks with still moderate development in downstream retail and products markets, Burton adds. And while much of the initial legislative and regulatory focus has naturally been directed upstream, innovation, research and consumer demand continue to create and uncover gaps in various supply chains.
As reported by WRAL last March, North Carolina has 634 licensed farmers and 413 licensed processors growing hemp on around 8,000 acres and 3.4 million square feet of greenhouse space. These figures are a significant increase from just a year ago, which is also reflective of national trendsin 2018 the amount of hemp farming (by acres) increased by more than triple the previous year.
Adding more fuel to this growth, market research from BDS Analytics anticipates that hemp-derived CBD sales will reach $20 billion by 2024, up from $1.9 billion in 2018.
Industrial hemp: North Carolina poised to exploit an old new crop
We have a lot of farmers in the state looking for alternative crops to help them make a living, Merrill says. Given that we are a heavily agricultural state and we have a lot of farms seeking solutions and opportunities, I think we are very well positioned to become a significant factor in the [hemp] industry.
In addition to providing industry insights, Merrill says he hopes the Piedmont Triad Industrial Hemp Conference will also serve as an introduction of Gateway Research Parks resources and services for hemp businesses and research projects.
At our two campuses, we have programs and capabilities to offer folks who might get into the production and growth of industrial hemp, Merrill says. We hope that as the industry continues to grow, those that can take advantage of the resources we provide will remember us and come back and see us.
The Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering (JSNN), a partnership between NC A&T State University and UNC Greensboro, is based at the Gateway Research Park in Greensboro. (Photo Credit: JSNN)
The park first opened in 2008 and has been operating with tenants for 11 years. Its two campuses offer laboratory space and offices for businesses, university programs and other tenants. The park is also home to the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, a collaboration of UNC-Greensboro and NC Agricultural and Technical (A&T) State University. The JSNN is a co-presenter of the conference.
Burton says that Liberty Atlantic Groupas a partner to the Gateway Research Park in hosting the conferencehopes to showcase Gateways state-of-the-art laboratory, industrial and manufacturing space to this emerging market community.
In addition, we seek to highlight Greensboros excellent community leaders, the favorable business environment, and all of the great amenities that the City of Greensboro has to offer, Burton added.
2019 Piedmont Triad Industrial Hemp Conference
See more here:
- FEATURE: These bold engineering ideas could take humanity to the stars - Professional Engineering - November 13th, 2019
- Nanoform Wins Award for Drug Development and Delivery - AZoNano - November 13th, 2019
- Renowned researcher, UTRGV professor blazes trail from Monterrey to White House to TedXMcAllen - Monitor - November 13th, 2019
- Rice receives Army grant amid concerns - The Rice Thresher - November 13th, 2019
- NTT Research and Technical University of Munich (TUM) Enter Joint Research Agreement to Collaborate on Technologies to Affect the Future of Patient... - November 13th, 2019
- Micromotors move single cells using magnets and ultrasound - CMU The Tartan Online - November 13th, 2019
- Nanosatellite And Microsatellite Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2026 - Tech Admirers - November 13th, 2019
- SMART discovers nondisruptive way to see surface of nanoparticles - Mirage News - November 13th, 2019
- Simera Sense And Space Inventor To Collaborate On Offering Earth Observation Solutions - Space in Africa - November 13th, 2019
- Global Nano Gas Sensors Market 2019 Raytheon Company, Ball Aerospace and Technologies, Thales Group, Lockheed Martin Corporation - Daily Industry... - November 13th, 2019
- Global Nano Gas Sensors Market Insights 2019 Raytheon Company, Ball Aerospace and Technologies, Thales Group - Daily Industry News Journal - November 13th, 2019
- Nano-Motors Find Tilt-Illating Solution to Move Against the Current - SciTechDaily - November 3rd, 2019
- Doheny and UCLA Stein Eye Institutes Welcome Kaustabh Ghosh, PhD, to the Scientific and Clinical Research Faculty - P&T Community - November 3rd, 2019
- Japanese 'Supercar' Made From Recycled Wood Has A Top Speed Of 20 Kmph - Mashable India - November 3rd, 2019
- Preparation And Antibacterial Effects Of Carboxymethyl Chitosan-Modifi | IJN - Dove Medical Press - November 3rd, 2019
- Nano Gps Chip Market to Witness Increased Revenue Growth Owing to Rapid Increase in Demand - Health News Office - November 3rd, 2019
- Codexis Protein Engineering Forum Highlights Progress and Future Direction of the Field - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Nano One looks to be a winner as they work to make a better lithium-ion battery - InvestorIntel - October 16th, 2019
- This Huge Amazonian Fish That Lives in Piranha-Infested Waters Has Some of the Toughest Scales on the Planet - Newsweek - October 16th, 2019
- Aerostructure Equipment Market To Soar Across Top Countries In The Globe - Online News Guru - October 16th, 2019
- Letter to the editor: Our trees are dying - Taft Midway Driller - October 16th, 2019
- The galaxy might be full of micro-machines - Cosmos - October 16th, 2019
- Army Bio-Inspired Theoretical Research May Make Robots More Effective on the Future Battlefield - I-Connect007 - October 16th, 2019
- MIT.nano awards inaugural NCSOFT seed grants for gaming technologies - The MIT Tech - October 1st, 2019
- Impressive Growth of Biomedical Nanotechnology Market 2019-2025 Upcoming Developments, Business Predictions & Future Investment Including Advanced... - October 1st, 2019
- Make like a leaf: researchers developing new method to convert CO2 - News - The University of Sydney - October 1st, 2019
- Budding opportunity? Hemp conference to offer insights to an emerging industry - WFMYNews2.com - October 1st, 2019
- Sigma Lithium Announces a Positive Feasibility Study with Forecast LOM Net Revenue of US$1.4 Billion and EBITDA of US$ 690 Million for the High-Grade,... - October 1st, 2019
- Revolut to hire around 3,500 staff to support its global expansion - News by aeresearch - October 1st, 2019
- Nano Crystalline Soft Magnetic Market Projections Deliver Positive Revenue Growth during the Period between 2018 and 2028 - The Herald Media - October 1st, 2019
- UC San Diego NanoEngineering Department - June 3rd, 2019
- NanoEngineering | NanoEngineering - June 3rd, 2019
- NETS - What are Nanoengineering and Nanotechnology? - June 3rd, 2019
- UC San Diego NanoEngineering Department - June 1st, 2019
- NanoEngineering | NanoEngineering - June 1st, 2019
- What does a nanotechnology engineer do? CareerExplorer - June 1st, 2019
- Undergraduate Degree Programs | NanoEngineering - June 1st, 2019
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - May 28th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit: the front page of the internet - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism | CARM.org - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 28th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - April 29th, 2019
- The Mueller Report Confirms We’re Living in a Cyberpunk Dystopia - April 21st, 2019
- When the Large Hadron Collider Turns on, It May Trap Dark Matter - April 21st, 2019
- John McAfee Vows to Reveal Bitcoin’s Creator - April 21st, 2019
- Astronomers Finally Found the Universe’s First Type of Molecule - April 21st, 2019
- India Blew up a Satellite. Now A “Space Fence” Is Tracking Its Debris - April 21st, 2019
- Expert: AI-Generated Music Is A “Total Legal Clusterf*ck” - April 21st, 2019
- Amazing New Rocket Engine Sucks up Atmospheric Oxygen for Fuel - April 21st, 2019
- Climate Change Could Cause Fukushima-Style Meltdowns in the US - April 21st, 2019
- Denver Is Voting on Whether to Decriminalize Psychedelic Mushrooms - April 21st, 2019
- This Space Roomba Could Clean the ISS While Astronauts Sleep - April 21st, 2019
- Boston Dynamics Unveils SpotMini You’ll Actually Be Able to Buy - April 21st, 2019
- Puerto Rico Will Stop Burning Coal Next Year - April 21st, 2019
- Listen to Brutal Death Metal Made by a Neural Network - April 21st, 2019
- Professor: Total Surveillance Is the Only Way to Save Humanity - April 21st, 2019
- Scientists Find Genetic Variants That Prevent Obesity, Diabetes - April 21st, 2019
- IBM Pulls the Plug on Drug-Discovering Watson AI - April 21st, 2019
- The Government Wants to Make an Example out of Mark Zuckerberg - April 21st, 2019
- China’s Military Built an Autonomous Amphibious Landing Vehicle - April 21st, 2019
- From Coffee to Popcorn, Celebrate 420 With These Futuristic CBD Edibles - April 21st, 2019