By Serena Shedore 11/12/19 11:39pm
Last week, Rice announced a new five-year, $30 million cooperative agreement with the U.S. Army to research next-generation wireless networks and diamond materials manufacturing for use in electronics, according to Yousif Shamoo, vice provost for research. This agreement has been in progress since General John Murray, commander of U.S. Army Futures Command, visited Rice in April 2019.
According to a Rice news release, there will be two teams with different research focuses on this new agreement: a diamonds team and a networks team. The diamond team will focus on formulating diamond structures and materials for use in electronics, while the networks team will work on creating more secure wireless networks that have the ability to sense attacks.
According to Shamoo, faster and more secure communication networks will benefit both soldiers and civilians who depend on networks in phones and computers. These devices rely on silicon-based technology, and diamond materials have the potential to be more efficient than silicon materials.
Pulickel Ajayan, chair of the materials science and nanoengineering department, will co-lead the diamond team with a member of the Army Research Lab, and Ashutosh Sabharwal, chair of the electrical and computer engineering department, will co-lead the networks team with another member of the Army Research Lab.
We plan to establish a world-class facility in diamond growth and a materials program that will lead to innovative device ideas utilizing diamond heterostructures, Ajayan said.
According to the news release, the networks team is working to reduce the time needed to establish wireless networks. Innovations from the diamond materials team could benefit the networks team.
Enjoy what you're reading?Signup for our newsletter
Ajayan said this relationship between the Army Research Lab and Rice will benefit Rice students and faculty through opportunities for the exchange of students and researchers, as well as the opportunity for Rice students to engage in innovative research.
Shamoo said that undergraduate students will be able to get involved with this project either through taking an undergraduate research course for credit or by working with a professor who is a part of the project.
I fully expect Rice undergraduate and graduate students to be important members of our research teams, Shamoo said.
According to Shamoo, the Army Research Lab established this research agreement with Rice because of its reputation as an international leader in materials science.
[Richard] Smalley and [Robert] Curl won the Nobel Prize for their discovery of the buckyballs [in 1996] and since then Rice has always been at the forefront of materials discovery and innovation, Shamoo said.
Shamoo said that this technology will not only modernize the Army but will help Americans lacking access to high-speed internet.
Rice Left, a student political organization raised concerns over the repercussions of the agreement in an email sent out to its members.
Rice helping the Army modernize means Rice is directly making U.S. imperialism more efficient and more deadly, Rice Left wrote. The U.S. Army has carried out countless war crimes, in the Philippines, in Korea, in Vietnam. Since 9/11, the war on terror has resulted in over 244,000 civilian deaths in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Mezthly Pena, a Duncan College sophomore, expressed concerns on Twitter.
Rice claims to care about sustainability yet still collaborates with one of the biggest polluting organizations in the world, Pena tweeted.
Editors Note: The Thresher requested a comment from Shamoo about student concerns and will update the story online.
- New Method Helps Observe the Dynamic Motion of Atoms in 2D Materials - AZoNano - February 12th, 2020
- Surgical Instruments Tracking Systems Market Development and New Market Opportunities and Forecasts 2028 - Jewish Life News - February 12th, 2020
- Kanazawa University Research: Combined Drug Treatment for Lung Cancer and Secondary Tumors - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- Budding engineers told to think innovatively - The Hindu - February 12th, 2020
- Adoption Scenario of Protein Engineering Market to Remain Positive Through 2015 2021 - Lake Shore Gazette - February 12th, 2020
- alwaysAI now open to meet growing demand from computer vision developers - PR Web - February 12th, 2020
- A Thermometer can be Stretched and Crumpled by Water - Printed Electronics World - February 12th, 2020
- Consumer Demand for Eco-friendly Products Set to Boost the Prospects of the Digital Servo Press Market 2019 2027 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 12th, 2020
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science celebrated - The News International - February 12th, 2020
- New nano-device eats the plaque that clogs arteries: On market this year - The New Daily - January 30th, 2020
- Beating the Heat in the Living Wings of Butterflies - Newswise - January 30th, 2020
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur and Rice University sign memorandum - India Education Diary - January 30th, 2020
- Team turns banana peels and other trash into 'flash graphene' - Futurity: Research News - January 30th, 2020
- Tata Nano could have been a success, if only... - BusinessLine - January 30th, 2020
- Nanodiamond Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application, Forecast Analysis - Industry Mirror - December 27th, 2019
- Eun Ji Chung Named as IEEE New Innovator and BMES Rising Star - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - November 25th, 2019
- UMP named as Best University in Research and Innovation for Non-Research University - QS WOW News - November 25th, 2019
- Eight Illinois researchers rank among world's most influential - University of Illinois News - November 25th, 2019
- Lenovo ThinkBook and ThinkCentre Malaysia: Everything you need to know - Yahoo Singapore News - November 25th, 2019
- By far the best trader in the world, period. - eFinancialCareers - November 25th, 2019
- We're on the verge of making buildings as strong as diamonds - Fast Company - November 25th, 2019
- Surgical Instruments Tracking Systems Market Expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth over 2028 - News Description - November 25th, 2019
- Ceramic Nanotubes Engineered As Thermal Antennas With Heat Radiation Control - Market Research Feed - November 25th, 2019
- FEATURE: These bold engineering ideas could take humanity to the stars - Professional Engineering - November 13th, 2019
- Nanoform Wins Award for Drug Development and Delivery - AZoNano - November 13th, 2019
- Renowned researcher, UTRGV professor blazes trail from Monterrey to White House to TedXMcAllen - Monitor - November 13th, 2019
- NTT Research and Technical University of Munich (TUM) Enter Joint Research Agreement to Collaborate on Technologies to Affect the Future of Patient... - November 13th, 2019
- Micromotors move single cells using magnets and ultrasound - CMU The Tartan Online - November 13th, 2019
- Nanosatellite And Microsatellite Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2026 - Tech Admirers - November 13th, 2019
- SMART discovers nondisruptive way to see surface of nanoparticles - Mirage News - November 13th, 2019
- Simera Sense And Space Inventor To Collaborate On Offering Earth Observation Solutions - Space in Africa - November 13th, 2019
- Global Nano Gas Sensors Market 2019 Raytheon Company, Ball Aerospace and Technologies, Thales Group, Lockheed Martin Corporation - Daily Industry... - November 13th, 2019
- Global Nano Gas Sensors Market Insights 2019 Raytheon Company, Ball Aerospace and Technologies, Thales Group - Daily Industry News Journal - November 13th, 2019
- Nano-Motors Find Tilt-Illating Solution to Move Against the Current - SciTechDaily - November 3rd, 2019
- Doheny and UCLA Stein Eye Institutes Welcome Kaustabh Ghosh, PhD, to the Scientific and Clinical Research Faculty - P&T Community - November 3rd, 2019
- Japanese 'Supercar' Made From Recycled Wood Has A Top Speed Of 20 Kmph - Mashable India - November 3rd, 2019
- Preparation And Antibacterial Effects Of Carboxymethyl Chitosan-Modifi | IJN - Dove Medical Press - November 3rd, 2019
- Nano Gps Chip Market to Witness Increased Revenue Growth Owing to Rapid Increase in Demand - Health News Office - November 3rd, 2019
- Codexis Protein Engineering Forum Highlights Progress and Future Direction of the Field - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Nano One looks to be a winner as they work to make a better lithium-ion battery - InvestorIntel - October 16th, 2019
- This Huge Amazonian Fish That Lives in Piranha-Infested Waters Has Some of the Toughest Scales on the Planet - Newsweek - October 16th, 2019
- Aerostructure Equipment Market To Soar Across Top Countries In The Globe - Online News Guru - October 16th, 2019
- Letter to the editor: Our trees are dying - Taft Midway Driller - October 16th, 2019
- What's future of industrial hemp in NC? Thought leaders gather to explore possibilities - WRAL Tech Wire - October 16th, 2019
- The galaxy might be full of micro-machines - Cosmos - October 16th, 2019
- Army Bio-Inspired Theoretical Research May Make Robots More Effective on the Future Battlefield - I-Connect007 - October 16th, 2019
- MIT.nano awards inaugural NCSOFT seed grants for gaming technologies - The MIT Tech - October 1st, 2019
- Impressive Growth of Biomedical Nanotechnology Market 2019-2025 Upcoming Developments, Business Predictions & Future Investment Including Advanced... - October 1st, 2019
- Make like a leaf: researchers developing new method to convert CO2 - News - The University of Sydney - October 1st, 2019
- Budding opportunity? Hemp conference to offer insights to an emerging industry - WFMYNews2.com - October 1st, 2019
- Sigma Lithium Announces a Positive Feasibility Study with Forecast LOM Net Revenue of US$1.4 Billion and EBITDA of US$ 690 Million for the High-Grade,... - October 1st, 2019
- Revolut to hire around 3,500 staff to support its global expansion - News by aeresearch - October 1st, 2019
- Nano Crystalline Soft Magnetic Market Projections Deliver Positive Revenue Growth during the Period between 2018 and 2028 - The Herald Media - October 1st, 2019
- NanoEngineering | NanoEngineering - June 3rd, 2019
- What does a nanotechnology engineer do? CareerExplorer - June 1st, 2019
- Undergraduate Degree Programs | NanoEngineering - June 1st, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - May 25th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - April 29th, 2019
- The Mueller Report Confirms We’re Living in a Cyberpunk Dystopia - April 21st, 2019
- When the Large Hadron Collider Turns on, It May Trap Dark Matter - April 21st, 2019
- John McAfee Vows to Reveal Bitcoin’s Creator - April 21st, 2019
- Astronomers Finally Found the Universe’s First Type of Molecule - April 21st, 2019