MIT.nano has announced the first recipients of NCSOFT seed grants to foster hardware and software innovations in gaming technology. The grants are part of the new MIT.nano Immersion Lab Gaming program, with inaugural funding provided by video game developer NCSOFT, a founding member of the MIT.nano Consortium.
The newly awarded projects address topics such as 3-D/4-D data interaction and analysis, behavioral learning, fabrication of sensors, light field manipulation, and micro-display optics.
New technologies and new paradigms of gaming will change the way researchers conduct their work by enabling immersive visualization and multi-dimensional interaction, says MIT.nano Associate Director Brian W. Anthony. This years funded projects highlight the wide range of topics that will be enhanced and influenced by augmented and virtual reality.
In addition to the sponsored research funds, each awardee will be given funds specifically to foster a community of collaborative users of MIT.nanos Immersion Lab.
The MIT.nano Immersion Lab is a new, two-story immersive space dedicated to visualization, augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR), and the depiction and analysis of spatially related data. Currently being outfitted with equipment and software tools, the facility will be available starting this semester for use by researchers and educators interested in using and creating new experiences, including the seed grant projects.
The five projects to receive NCSOFT seed grants are:
Stefanie Mueller: connecting the virtual and physical world
Virtual game play is often accompanied by a prop a steering wheel, a tennis racket, or some other object the gamer uses in the physical world to create a reaction in the virtual game. Build-it-yourself cardboard kits have expanded access to these props by lowering costs; however, these kits are pre-cut, and thus limited in form and function. What if users could build their own dynamic props that evolve as they progress through the game?
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) Professor Stefanie Mueller aims to enhance the users experience by developing a new type of gameplay with tighter virtual-physical connection. In Muellers game, the player unlocks a physical template after completing a virtual challenge, builds a prop from this template, and then, as the game progresses, can unlock new functionalities to that same item. The prop can be expanded upon and take on new meaning, and the user learns new technical skills by building physical prototypes.
Luca Daniel and Micha Feigin-Almon: replicating human movements in virtual characters
Athletes, martial artists, and ballerinas share the ability to move their body in an elegant manner that efficiently converts energy and minimizes injury risk. Professor Luca Daniel, EECS and Research Laboratory of Electronics, and Micha Feigin-Almon, research scientist in mechanical engineering, seek to compare the movements of trained and untrained individuals to learn the limits of the human body with the goal of generating elegant, realistic movement trajectories for virtual reality characters.
In addition to use in gaming software, their research on different movement patterns will predict stresses on joints, which could lead to nervous system models for use by artists and athletes.
Wojciech Matusik: using phase-only holograms
Holographic displays are optimal for use in augmented and virtual reality. However, critical issues show a need for improvement. Out-of-focus objects look unnatural, and complex holograms have to be converted to phase-only or amplitude-only in order to be physically realized. To combat these issues, EECS Professor Wojciech Matusik proposes to adopt machine learning techniques for synthesis of phase-only holograms in an end-to-end fashion. Using a learning-based approach, the holograms could display visually appealing three-dimensional objects.
While this system is specifically designed for varifocal, multifocal, and light field displays, we firmly believe that extending it to work with holographic displays has the greatest potential to revolutionize the future of near-eye displays and provide the best experiences for gaming, says Matusik.
Fox Harrell: teaching socially impactful behavior
Project VISIBLE Virtuality for Immersive Socially Impactful Behavioral Learning Enhancement utilizes virtual reality in an educational setting to teach users how to recognize, cope with, and avoid committing microaggressions. In a virtual environment designed by Comparative Media Studies Professor Fox Harrell, users will encounter micro-insults, followed by major micro-aggression themes. The users physical response drives the narrative of the scenario, so one person can play the game multiple times and reach different conclusions, thus learning the various implications of social behavior.
Juejun Hu: displaying a wider field of view in high resolution
Professor Juejun Hu from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering seeks to develop high-performance, ultra-thin immersive micro-displays for AR/VR applications. These displays, based on metasurface optics, will allow for a large, continuous field of view, on-demand control of optical wavefronts, high-resolution projection, and a compact, flat, lightweight engine. While current commercial waveguide AR/VR systems offer less than 45 degrees of visibility, Hu and his team aim to design a high-quality display with a field of view close to 180 degrees.
Read the original:
- Elon Musk's million-mile battery: What it really means - Los Angeles Times - September 23rd, 2020
- Politecnico di Milano: Project for innovation in Nanotechnology is the winner of ERC Starting grant - Science Business - September 23rd, 2020
- Fruit flies' protective corneal coatings reproduced | Research - Chemistry World - September 23rd, 2020
- Toy Insider unveils its Hot 20 List of the year's most wished-for toys - FOX43.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Thin and ultra-fast photodetector sees the full spectrum - Science Codex - September 23rd, 2020
- DiOX carbon free DWR and anti-viral treatments launch in Turkey - Innovation in Textiles - September 23rd, 2020
- New Thin and Ultra-Fast Photodetector can See the Full Spectrum of Light - AZoOptics.com - September 23rd, 2020
- French Exotrail signs two contracts with ESA and stays on track for its electric propulsion mission - SpaceWatch.Global - September 18th, 2020
- Kanazawa University research: Potential drug treatment for particular type of lung-cancer - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Could Tattoo Ink Be Used to Detect Cancer? - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Simulation Software Market Key Drivers, Business Insights, Trends And Forecast 2026 Altair Engineering, Inc., Bentley Systems, Ansys, Inc, Ptc - The... - September 18th, 2020
- Faculty and Staff Achievements Summer 2020 - CSUN Today - September 18th, 2020
- Diomics Announces Agreement With Department of Defense to Accelerate Development and Testing of Diocheck SARS-CoV-2 Immune Response Indicator Patch -... - September 18th, 2020
- Ashok Leyland, Hindustan Zinc team up with IIT-M to develop Zinc air battery - BusinessLine - September 18th, 2020
- The next generation of American nuclear - Power Technology - September 18th, 2020
- Cloth masks are effective at reducing virus transmission because it spreads in respiratory droplets, which are larger than smoke particles and the... - September 18th, 2020
- Build your own robots with this kit on sale for $50.15 - Mashable - September 6th, 2020
- Phase engineering and the final frontier! - Advanced Science News - September 6th, 2020
- The Role of Electron Microscopy in Battery Research - AZoM - September 6th, 2020
- Copper-coated face masks could help slow transmission of COVID-19: U of T researchers - News@UofT - September 6th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Graphene Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - Owned - September 6th, 2020
- Nano Gas Sensors Market 2020 Growth Opportunities and Revenue Statistics to 2025 By Top Players | Raytheon Company, Ball Aerospace and Technologies,... - September 4th, 2020
- Surgical Instruments Tracking Systems Market Predicted to Accelerate the Growth by 2018-2028 - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Food dyes, tattoo ink can be used to detect cancer: Study - BusinessLine - September 4th, 2020
- 3D Printed Implants Market: Growing Biomedical Applications of 3D Technology is Expected to Boost the Market - BioSpace - September 4th, 2020
- MIT partners with national labs on two new National Quantum Information Science Research Centers - MIT News - September 2nd, 2020
- A new platform for controlled delivery of key nanoscale drugs and more - MIT News - September 2nd, 2020
- Flexible Micro LEDs May Reshape Wearable Technology - Manufacturing Business Technology - September 2nd, 2020
- Carleton Faculty Receive CFI Funding to Support Research Benefiting All Canadians - Carleton Newsroom - September 2nd, 2020
- Nanotextiles Market Estimated size be driven size Innovation and Industrialization COVID-19 2024 - Chelanpress - August 10th, 2020
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Internet of Things job with CRANFIELD UNIVERSITY | 218434 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 8th, 2020
- The End of an Era as Tata Motors Prepare To Sell Their Passenger Car Business - Moneylife - August 8th, 2020
- OPINION: Carbon tax and its impact on India - ETEnergyworld.com - August 8th, 2020
- UNB professor working on a mask that would kill the coronavirus - CBC.ca - August 7th, 2020
- From birds to burrs, here are four examples of biomimicry at work - create digital - August 7th, 2020
- Lindsay McCormick of Bite Toothpaste Bits Named in Fast Company's Annual List of the Most Creative People in Business - PR Web - August 7th, 2020
- 3D mapping reveals how wounds begin to heal - Futurity: Research News - August 7th, 2020
- Production linked incentive scheme to be expanded to AC, furniture, leather sectors as MEIS wound up - Moneylife - August 6th, 2020
- The UK's Huawei ban risks crippling its ambitions in technology and science - Business Insider - August 5th, 2020
- Stocks in the news: YES Bank, DMart, Infosys, BHEL, Tata Motors and Apollo Hospitals - Economic Times - August 4th, 2020
- Global Nanosensors Market Huge Growth CAGR of 90.1% by 2026 | With Top Players- Linear Technologies, NXP Semiconductor, InvenSense, Knowles, Analog... - August 3rd, 2020
- Shaft Measuring Machine Market Business Overview, Revenue, Price and Gross Margin, Product Specifications, Forecast 2025 - Owned - August 3rd, 2020
- Virtual field trips, digital labs and global colleagues: U of T students to explore the world this fall - News@UofT - August 2nd, 2020
- Not all face masks are created equal 7 things to consider to protect yourself - CNA - August 2nd, 2020
- Interview and photos: Renowned inventor and artist Tom Shannon's first Oklahoma exhibit is on view at Science Museum Oklahoma - Oklahoman.com - August 2nd, 2020
- LaunchDarkly Hosting Trajectory Conference as a Live Streaming Interactive Event - PR Web - August 2nd, 2020
- Nano Satellites Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 -... - July 31st, 2020
- Kanazawa University research: Diverse amyloid structures and dynamics revealed by high-speed atomic force microscopy - PRNewswire - July 31st, 2020
- Researchers Uncover How Cells Interact With Supporting Proteins To Heal Wounds - Technology Networks - July 30th, 2020
- Catheters Market Size Estimation, COVID-19 Impact, Emerging Trends, Key Players, Share Value and Global Industry Insights By 2023 - Reported Times - July 30th, 2020
- Nano will be my ultimate professional fulfilment: IFFCO MD - Indian Cooperative - July 29th, 2020
- NeoPhotonics and Inphi Complete the First Successful Interoperability Demonstration of 400ZR Over 120km - Business Wire - July 29th, 2020
- The Tech Analyst Who Screamed Buy TSM at $50! - Yahoo Finance - July 28th, 2020
- Brand Datsun and the road ahead in India - BusinessLine - July 26th, 2020
- This is the Tata Aria, a Two-Door Convertible Concept from 2000 - Car Blog India - July 26th, 2020
- New Nano Drug Candidate Kills Aggressive Breast Cancer Cells - University of Arkansas Newswire - July 25th, 2020
- Research Associate - SecuReFET: Secure Circuits through inherent Reconfigurable FET job with TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAT DRESDEN (TU DRESDEN) | 214467 -... - July 25th, 2020
- Mark McDaniel reappointed to NASA Human Exploration and Operations Advisory Committee - alreporter.com - July 24th, 2020
- Aerostructure Equipment Industry Tremendous Growth and Shares 2019 to 2027, Noted Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - July 23rd, 2020
- Nano Gas Sensor Market which company is the market leader and how much its sales in 2020 and what it's expected sales for the next 5 years | Raytheon... - July 23rd, 2020
- How Do CNTFETs Work, and Why Are They So Promising? - ENGINEERING.com - July 23rd, 2020
- Plasma Enhanced CVD Equipment Market Overview, Growth Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Size, Strategies and Forecast to 2026 | Applied Materials, ASM... - July 23rd, 2020
- Outlook on the Electrical Discharge Machines Global Market to 2027 - Featuring AAEDM, AccuteX Technologies & Beaumont Machine Among Others -... - July 22nd, 2020
- What is Nanoengineering? (with pictures) - July 21st, 2020
- B.S. NanoEngineering | NanoEngineering - July 21st, 2020
- What does a nanotechnology engineer do? CareerExplorer - July 21st, 2020
- USABC awards $2.4M contract to WPI for development of low-cost/fast-charge batteries for EV applications - Green Car Congress - July 21st, 2020
- 3D Printing Healthcare Market to Record a Robust Growth Rate for the COVID-19 Period - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Lasers and sticky tape triple lithium metal battery life - Futurity: Research News - July 21st, 2020
- Tiny particles, big solutions - The Hindu - July 20th, 2020
- MRSEC wins major new grant from the National Science Foundation - Brandeis University - July 20th, 2020
- The best and worst choices for a cloth face mask - Times Union - July 20th, 2020
- Synthetic Biology Market (2019-2025) with COVID-19 After Effects Analysis by Emerging Trends, Industry Demand, Growth, Key Players - Jewish Life News - July 20th, 2020
- Research Assistant or Research Fellow in Electromagnetic Actuation job with CRANFIELD UNIVERSITY | 213886 - Times Higher Education (THE) - July 20th, 2020
- Targeting brain metastases with ultrasmall theranostic nanoparticles, a first-in-human trial from an MRI perspective - Science Advances - July 20th, 2020
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and Tyvak Nano-Satellite Systems Announce Agreement to Develop Innovative Telescopes for Nanosatellites -... - July 19th, 2020
- Viewed through revamped slide, cancer cells show their hidden side : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - July 19th, 2020
- With Fedora 33, Nano Will Be The Default Terminal Text Editor - Fossbytes - July 19th, 2020
- Clean Seed to deploy their patented SMART technologies to modernize the agricultural sector - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 19th, 2020
- Five Indian Americans Receive US DoE Early Career Award - The Indian Panorama - July 19th, 2020