The Sparks' Lisa Leslie battles the Liberty's Rebecca Lobo during the WNBA's inaugural game on June 21, 1997. New York won 67-57 at the Forum. (Kevork Djansezian / Associated Press)
On a sunny, summer afternoon in Inglewood, the New York Liberty beat the Sparks 67-57 on this date in 1997 in the inaugural game of the Womens National Basketball Assn. at the Forum.
A crowd of 14,284 was the largest to see a womens basketball game in Los Angeles since the 1984 Olympics and the largest ever for a womens pro game in the United States.
The Sparks vaunted big players, 6-foot-8 Zheng Haixia and 6-5 Lisa Leslie, were never factors against the Liberty, who were led by Rebecca Lobo and Teresa Weatherspoon.
Sparks coach Linda Sharp expressed her dismay after the game. I am really disappointed," she said. "We are a much better team than we showed."
The Dodgers would have closed out a three-game interleague series Sunday with the Detroit Tigers at Dodger Stadium. The Angels had a Sunday afternoon game scheduled against the Texas Rangers at Angel Stadium. Both contests were postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here is a look at other memorable games and outstanding sports performances on this date:
1932 Jack Sharkey wins a controversial 15-round split-decision over Germanys Max Schmeling for the world heavyweight title at Madison Square Garden Bowl in New York. To the majority of fans and critics in attendance, Schmeling is the clear winner. His manager, Joe Jacobs, grabs a radio microphone and yells, We was robbed.
1960 Armin Hary of West Germany is the first man to officially run 100 meters in 10.0 seconds at a meet in Zurich. Hary runs the 100 in 10.0 flat an hour earlier, but the time is nullified when the starter, after some time has passed, declares a false start. Hary asks for a rerun, and officials tell the starter to recall the sprinters for a new race.
1964 Jim Bunning of the Philadelphia Phillies pitches the seventh perfect game in baseball history when he beats the New York Mets 6-0 in the first game of a doubleheader at Shea Stadium. The gem makes Bunning the first pitcher since Cy Young to throw no-hitters in both the American and National leagues. He pitched his first in 1958 as a member of the Detroit Tigers against the Boston Red Sox.
1965 Gary Player, 29, of South Africa is the third player to win golfs four major championships when he beats Kel Nagle of Australia by three strokes at the U.S. Open in an 18-hole playoff at Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis. Gene Sarazen and Ben Hogan had career Grand Slams when they won the U.S. and British Opens, the Masters and the PGA Championship. It is Players only U.S. Open victory.
1975 Sandra Kaye Bell, one of the first female jockeys in thoroughbred racing, is the first woman to train the winner of a $100,000 stakes race when she sends Mr. Lucky Phoenix to the post and wins the Michigan Mile and One-Eighth Handicap at Detroit Racecourse.
2003 In what is billed as The Battle of the Titans, Lennox Lewis retains his heavyweight crown when multiple cuts stop Vitali Klitschko after six brawling rounds at Staples Center. All three ringside judges have Klitschko ahead 58-56 on their scorecards, but Paul Wallace, the ring doctor, orders referee Lou Moret to stop the fight.
2005 Justine Henin-Hardenne, coming off a major victory in the womens final at the French Open, makes a shocking exit in the first round at Wimbledon when she loses to Eleni Daniilidou of Greece, 7-6 (8), 2-6, 7-5. The Belgian is the first Roland Garros women's champion since 1962 to lose her opening match at the All-England Club.
2012 LeBron James finally claims his first championship when he has 26 points, 13 assists and 11 rebounds to lead the Miami Heat past the Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 5 of the NBA Finals 121-106 at American Airlines Arena in Miami. Chris Bosh adds 23 points and Dwyane Wade scores 20 for the Heat.
2015 Jordan Spieth is the sixth player to win the Masters and the U.S. Open in the same season after Dustin Johnson three-putts from 12 feet on the final hole at Chambers Bay in University Place, Wash., with a chance to win the tournament. Spieth, 21, is the youngest player to win two majors since Sarazen did it at age 20 in 1922 and is the youngest U.S. Open champion since Bobby Jones in 1923.
Sources: The Times, Associated Press
Read the original:
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- Tuesday briefing: Britons flee Brexit by the thousands - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utilities nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 2nd, 2020
- OPINION: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - Standard-Times - August 2nd, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Universal health care is essential to liberty - Press Herald - August 2nd, 2020
- UPDATE: Package Recovered - Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Has Liberty Oilfield Services Inc.'s (NYSE:LBRT) Impressive Stock Performance Got Anything to Do With Its Fundamentals? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- North Liberty urges residents to wear face masks, calls on businesses to adopt mask policies - The Gazette - July 29th, 2020
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Liberty Broadband Corporation (NASDAQ:LBRD.K)? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Serene Two-Bed Condo with Sunny Terrace is Entertainer's Dream, Liberty Terrace, DTJC - Jersey Digs - July 29th, 2020
- Liberty University won't require COVID-19 test for returning students this fall - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 29th, 2020
- W.N.B.A. Preview: With Sabrina Ionescu, the Liberty Hit Refresh - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- Reflecting on Liberty Global's (NASDAQ:LBTY.A) Share Price Returns Over The Last Five Years - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Financial Insights and Technical Data on The Liberty Braves Group (BATRA) - Invest Million - July 29th, 2020
- Mostly Outdoor Restaurant and Bar Arrives in Liberty Station - Eater San Diego - July 29th, 2020
- Game 2: Liberty look for their first win of the new season against Dallas - NetsDaily - July 29th, 2020
- The Presley and other restaurants opening at Liberty Station - New restaurants like The Presley and others are opening throughout Liberty Station.... - July 29th, 2020
- Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - July 28th, 2020
- Why Will Spark The Next Run With The Liberty Braves Group (BATRK) Shares? - Invest Million - July 28th, 2020
- Liberty Twp. gets grant to extend walking and biking path - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 28th, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Statue of Liberty repeatedly struck by lightning - KSL.com - July 28th, 2020
- NASA: Asteroid Bigger Than Statue Of Liberty To Fly Safely Past Earth - International Business Times - July 28th, 2020
- Rumor: GTA 6 Set in Vice City, GTA Online Heading to Remastered Liberty City Later This Year - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2020
- Improvements coming to 18 Liberty Twp. roads this year - WKBN.com - July 28th, 2020
- Liberty back on the court preparing for a 2020-21 season - A Sea of Red - July 28th, 2020
- Statutes of Liberty: There's No Public Defender -- Where to Go If You Can't Afford an Immigration Lawyer - ARLnow - July 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus in N.Y.C.: Will the Tourists Ever Come Back? - The New York Times - July 26th, 2020
- Movement designed to bring pressure on Liberty Hill City government - Liberty Hill Independent - July 26th, 2020
- Liberty rookie Jocelyn Willoughby looking to make impact on and off court - New York Post - July 26th, 2020
- Falwell on Liberty's 2020 football season: Our schedule's going to be totally different than what we've published - A Sea of Red - July 26th, 2020
- Liberty Fire responds to camper that caught fire on Rt. 11 - WKBN.com - July 26th, 2020
- Christopher Bray: Of liberty and masks - a trade-off that will help save lives, maybe your own - Brattleboro Reformer - July 25th, 2020
- Liberty Hill Foundation: UCLA Luskin researchers find emPOWER outreach campaign led by community-based organizations successful in reaching areas of... - July 25th, 2020
- New mural brightens Benkard and Liberty in Newburgh - Times Herald-Record - July 25th, 2020
- Trump's stormtroopers crush liberty on the streets of Portland - Salon - July 25th, 2020
- Police: Woman hurt as shots were fired between 2 groups near Liberty Heights Park in West Allis - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - July 25th, 2020