Ryan M. Kelly/Getty Images
The Liberty Flames won a postseason game just two years after their move to the FBS,defeating the Georgia Southern Eagles in the 2019 Cure Bowl at Orlando'sExploriaStadium on Saturday.
Quarterback Stephen Calvert led the way for Liberty. The senior wasn't perfect, as he had two turnovers, but he had 270 yards passing in the win.
The defense did a terrific job of stifling Georgia Southern's potent rushing attack. The Eagles had 154 yards, but they needed 46 carries to get there.
Georgia Southern put together a valiant effort after it fell behind 23-7, but the offense couldn't put the ball in the end zone. Only one of its four trips to the red zone resulted in a touchdown; kicker Tyler Bass did go 3-of-3 on field goalsnone longer than 35 yards.
Notable Game Stats
Big Plays, Defense Carry Liberty to First Bowl Win
The hallmark for Liberty's success in 2019 was its explosive offense, whichranked34th in the FBS with 442.5 yards per game. That group scored at least 35 points in five of its seven regular-season wins.
It wasn't a surprise, then, to see the Flames open up the playbook Saturday. Calvert didn't have a great game by completion percentage, but he still managed two touchdown passes.
Liberty's first score of the game came on a perfect play call when the Eagles were caught off guard on a play-action fake that left Johnny Huntley wide open in the middle of the field for a 57-yard touchdown.
Georgia Southern's offense is the antithesis of Liberty's. Head coach Chad Lunsford utilizes a run-heavy scheme that has produced tremendous success in his two full seasons with the program.
The Eagles entered the Cure Bowl ranked eighth in the nation with 261.5 rushing yards per game. They certainly didn't abandon their ground attack Saturday, especially early on in keeping pace with Liberty.
After Georgia Southern tied the score at seven, the Flames settled in on both sides of the ball to take control. Calvert had consecutive completions of 18 and 30 yards on the next drive, and the defense committed a pass interference penalty for 15 yards.
Those big plays set up Joshua Mack's go-ahead touchdown run from three yards out. The Flames added a field goal at the end of the second quarter to go up 16-7 at the intermission.
Coming out for the third quarter, Hugh Freeze's offense kept its foot on the gas pedal. Antonio Gandy-Golden used his 6'4" size to beat Liberty cornerbackMonquavion Brinsonin one-on-one coverage for an easy touchdown catch.
The Eagles responded with a field goal soon after. Calvert was picked off three plays after that, but his defense came up with a stop on 3rd-and-8 to force a field goal on fourth down.
Neither team could get anything going against the opposing defense over the final 18 minutes of game time. Four consecutive drives ended in punts, including a run of three straight three-and-outs between both offenses until Georgia Southern went 55 yards in 13 plays late in the fourth quarter.
The Eagles had an opportunity to get the ball back with an onside kick in the final two minutes of regulation. It initially appeared like they recovered the ball, but officials called an illegal touch because it didn't travel 10 yards.
Liberty was able to run out the clock and seal the program's biggest win in its short FBS history. Freeze and his staff have this team trending in the right direction as it builds toward 2020.
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - January 5th, 2020
- Sale | Liberty London Sale | Liberty London - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty's defense stifles NJIT, 65-38 - WSET - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty boys basketball doesnt beat buzzer, but does beat Whitehall in OT - lehighvalleylive.com - January 5th, 2020
- New York Liberty to reveal new head coach on Wednesday morning - Elite Sports NY - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Selected by Uber to Cover Drivers in New England, South Carolina and Puerto Rico - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Women To Open New Year with Meets At Florida, FGCU - SwimSwam - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Vittert: Got a resolution for the New Year? Here's a statistician's advice on how to keep it - Fox Business - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty Hill woman accused of beating that sent son to hospital - Austin American-Statesman - January 5th, 2020
- Liberty, Equality, and Identity - The Bulwark - January 5th, 2020
- Josh Richardson and others are right to call out Sixers' effort - Liberty Ballers - January 5th, 2020
- This Week in Mid-Major: Liberty takes a page from UVa's playbook, Bryant's shot-swatter, the top 10 and more - The Athletic - January 5th, 2020
- YEAR END: Liberty County baseball coach and wife electrocuted, son injured at baseball field - The News Herald - January 5th, 2020
- Patriots hook up Navy Football with nice transportation to Liberty Bowl - 98.5 The Sports Hub - December 26th, 2019
- Donald Trump, Jerry Falwell Jr., and Liberty Universitys Football Vision - The Ringer - December 26th, 2019
- Akron faces Liberty in Washington - WVVA TV - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty Media Floated the Idea of Buying IndyCar Alongside its F1 Acquisition - Essentially Sports - December 26th, 2019
- Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 and 2 Pro true wireless buds are down to $60 and $110 ($40 off) - Android Police - December 26th, 2019
- Diventures' new 60-foot-pool in North Liberty is heated and ready for scuba divers in training - The Gazette - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty and the Birth of Jesus Go Hand in Hand - Liberty Nation - December 26th, 2019
- Liberty family seeks justice after 'targeted attack' of their dog in its own back yard - WYFF4 Greenville - December 26th, 2019
- 820 Liberty Avenue went from yow to wow creating four large lofts in an extensive renovation - NEXTpittsburgh - December 26th, 2019
- Kiggins, Liberty theaters strive for creativity - Columbian.com - The Columbian - December 26th, 2019
- Watch the parade for the 61st AutoZone Liberty Bowl on Local 24! - WATN - Local 24 - December 26th, 2019
- Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro review: The best-sounding earbuds of 2019 [Video] - 9to5Google - December 26th, 2019
- Dem Voters Caught Between the Geriatrics and Socialist Swampsters - Liberty Nation - December 26th, 2019
- Games to Watch This Weekend for Liberty's Bowl Hopes (11/26 edition) - A Sea of Red - November 27th, 2019
- Heather Stearns of Tallahassee, Florida, Has Recently Been Appointed President of LIBERTY Dental Plan of Florida, Inc. - Business Wire - November 27th, 2019
- PHOTOS: Umbrellas, Tables, and Seating Appear at Liberty Square... - wdwnt.com - November 27th, 2019
- Newark Liberty International Airport is Actually in Elizabeth, NJ- (County of Union) Now the Destination is Visible to Passengers - Yahoo Finance - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty vs. Morgan State odds: 2019 The Islands of the Bahamas Showcase picks, predictions from proven model - CBS Sports - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty defeats UMKC to win the Islands of the Bahamas Showcase - A Sea of Red - November 27th, 2019
- The Liberty Foundation Awards $422,000 to 18 Nonprofit Organizations | Business Gallery - The Weekly Journal - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty Science Center's Inaugural Genius of New Jersey to Honor Innovators Who Make the State a World Leader in Cutting-Edge Applied Science -... - November 27th, 2019
- Sixty minutes for 60 more: Liberty focuses on final chance to become bowl eligible - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 27th, 2019
- What to Be Thankful For | Cato @ Liberty - Cato Institute - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty's John Malone sees HBO losing out in the streaming wars - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Count liberty among our blessings this Thanksgiving - cleveland.com - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty CEO sees Sirius well positioned in audio boom with exclusive content like Howard Stern - CNBC - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty Securities Selects Broadridge to Simplify Post-Trade Processing for Hong Kong Equities and Derivatives - Bobsguide - November 27th, 2019
- Liberty defensive depth to be tested against UMass - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- The 'cautionary tale' of Liberty University - The College Fix - October 29th, 2019
- Phase 1 of new signage in Liberty completed - Times Herald-Record - October 29th, 2019
- Boyd Matheson: Liberty without morality and religious freedom is but window dressing - Deseret News - October 29th, 2019
- Rutgers Million-Dollar Guarantee To Liberty Proved To Be A Wise Investment - Forbes - October 29th, 2019
- Washington-Liberty QB Andrew Bolfek throws 6 TDs to win Player of the Week - WTOP - October 29th, 2019
- In the region: No. 6 UVa field hockey tops No. 17 Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 29th, 2019
- TSA: Man Tried To Bring Loaded Gun On Plane At Newark Liberty International Airport - CBS Pittsburgh - October 29th, 2019
- If You Had Bought One Liberty Properties (NYSE:OLP) Shares Five Years Ago Youd Have Made 23% - Simply Wall St - October 29th, 2019
- LTE: The Il-liberty of Protest - The Daily Northwestern - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Apartments in south Cape still set to open in April - Southeast Missourian - October 29th, 2019
- Intrepid Theatre returns with 'The Thousandth Night' at Liberty Station - The San Diego Union-Tribune - October 29th, 2019
- Rutgers won its 2nd game this year by defeating Liberty | What did visiting recruits think? - NJ.com - October 29th, 2019
- Visit the Statue of Liberty, feel her unifying message | Opinion - NJ.com - October 29th, 2019
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Opening Of 19th Florida Dispensary In Pensacola; Second Panhandle Location - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty adds UConn to 2020 football schedule, moves UVa game to 2023 - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 24th, 2019
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are not in US Constitution - Call Newspapers - October 24th, 2019
- British government notes 'deterioration' of religious liberty in several countries - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - October 24th, 2019
- What are the odds? Liberty twin has twin daughters born on his birthday - WDAF FOX4 Kansas City - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Development partnering with St. Clement Church in Lakewood to build Madison Avenue townhomes - cleveland.com - October 24th, 2019
- Falwell threatens to sue journalist behind explosive report, demands retraction - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 24th, 2019
- G Adventures and Liberty Travel Form Preferred Partnership - TravelPulse - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights Football is set to welcome the Liberty Flames to town -- B1G Football - Rivals.com - October 24th, 2019
- Her Immigrant Story: 'Mother Of Exiles' Documentary Reveals Statue Of Liberty's Little-Known History - Women You Should Know - October 24th, 2019
- Religious Liberty Leaders Emphasize Connecting With the Marginalized - Adventist Review - October 24th, 2019
- Is Liberty Property Trust (LPT) Going to Burn These Hedge Funds? - Yahoo Finance - October 24th, 2019
- Slavery and liberty: A new exhibit explores the Thomas Jefferson paradox - Archinect - October 24th, 2019
- Hate LAX? Why New York's Newark Liberty International Airport is a relative breeze - Stuff.co.nz - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Ranch FFA students show children where their food comes from - The Galt Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Trenton Catholic boys soccer earns share of BCSL Liberty crown - The Trentonian - October 24th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor Liberty or Tyranny | Letters To The Editor - Richfield Reaper - October 24th, 2019
- Former Liberty-Eylau coach accused of sexual misconduct with students - TXK Today - October 24th, 2019
- Liberty Health Sciences Appoints George Gremse To The Board Of Directors - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- ZOM Senior Living, in a venture with Liberty Senior Living and funds managed by Ares Management Corporation's Real Estate Group, announces... - October 16th, 2019
- EAST LIBERTY DEVELOPMENT: Vote Wednesday could help clear way for controversial $50 million project in East Liberty - WPXI Pittsburgh - October 16th, 2019
- Take A Look! | Black Bear Spotted Swimming In Liberty Reservoir - CBS Baltimore - October 16th, 2019
- Religious Liberty, Nondiscrimination, and the Left - National Review - October 16th, 2019
- 'Citizens for Liberty and Labor' PAC drops another $40K against Woodward's campaign - KXLY Spokane - October 16th, 2019
- Kelvin Edwards honored to have his jersey retired at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 16th, 2019
- Liberty City and Brownville will not rise | Letters to the Editor - The Miami Times - October 16th, 2019