SpaceX wants to buy out the properties of residents in a community located only a few miles away its Starhopper launch site in south Texas, according to a report.
The company's Starhopper flights made headlines this summer as the rocket prototype flew as high as 500 feet (about 150 meters) in altitude. Starhopper fits in well in with SpaceX's Mars exploration plans, as Starhopper is supposed to be an early prototype for the Starship vehicle that SpaceX hopes will bring people to the Red Planet in the coming decades.
But that testing has also produced an unintentional 100-acre brush fire and even explosion warnings in the launching region, which lies nearby the tiny hamlet of Boca Chica, according to Business Insider.
So, SpaceX sent buyout offers to at least 10 households in the community which has a predominantly elderly population of only about 20 people saying the company is concerned about "increased disruption to Boca Chica residents and our commitment to complying with public health and safety guidelines," according to the letter, which is written with SpaceX letterhead.
Related:SpaceX's Starship and Super Heavy Mars Rocket in Pictures
"We did not anticipate that local residents would experience significant disruption from our presence," SpaceX explains of its reasoning to use Cameron County as a potential spaceport location. "However, it has become clear that expansion of spaceflight activities, as well as compliance with Federal Aviation Administration and other public safety regulations, will make it increasingly more challenging to minimize disruption to residents of the village."
SpaceX is offering each household a fixed buyout price of three times the appraised property value, saying that it favors giving an identical deal to residents because it is "the fairest approach." The letter, which is dated Thursday (Sept. 12), adds that the offer is good for two weeks or until Sept. 26.
To anyone who will accept the offer, SpaceX also plans to give those residents exclusive access to more Starship development events, through "future private VIP launch viewing events that are unavailable to the public."
A few residents told Business Insider they have no interest in accepting the buyout. For example, Maria Pointer, who runs a Facebook group about SpaceX that generally supports its work, said that the company does not understand that most residents cannot afford to buy properties nearby, even with SpaceX's offer to triple property values.
"They need to understand that most of this community has very limited income," she said. "We want to move on, just give us what we need to move on. I'm not going to go to a trailer or an apartment. I gave my life to this property. I gave it everything I had. Nobody else wanted to tame it."
SpaceX did not immediately respond to a Business Insider request for comment. On Sept. 28 two days after the offer deal closes the company reportedly plans to give a presentation in an area nearby to provide an update about the Starship development program.
Since SpaceX is not a publicly owned company, outsiders can only get a partial view of its financial situation. The company's valuation was appraised at $33.3 billion in May, according to CNBC. SpaceX is engaged in multiple spaceflight projects, including Starship, creating a vast network of 5G satellites called Starlink, developing a Crew Dragon commercial crew vehicle for NASA, making cargo runs to the International Space Station, and hefting satellites using its Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets.
Follow Elizabeth Howell on Twitter @howellspace. Follow us on Twitter @Spacedotcom and on Facebook.
See the rest here:
- Liberty Health Sciences Appoints George Gremse To The Board Of Directors - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2019
- ZOM Senior Living, in a venture with Liberty Senior Living and funds managed by Ares Management Corporation's Real Estate Group, announces... - October 16th, 2019
- EAST LIBERTY DEVELOPMENT: Vote Wednesday could help clear way for controversial $50 million project in East Liberty - WPXI Pittsburgh - October 16th, 2019
- Take A Look! | Black Bear Spotted Swimming In Liberty Reservoir - CBS Baltimore - October 16th, 2019
- Religious Liberty, Nondiscrimination, and the Left - National Review - October 16th, 2019
- 'Citizens for Liberty and Labor' PAC drops another $40K against Woodward's campaign - KXLY Spokane - October 16th, 2019
- Liberty Harbor East opens, bringing another luxury apartment building and relocated Whole Foods to Baltimore - Baltimore Sun - October 16th, 2019
- Kelvin Edwards honored to have his jersey retired at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 16th, 2019
- Liberty City and Brownville will not rise | Letters to the Editor - The Miami Times - October 16th, 2019
- Have you ever wanted to fly in a World War II-era B-17 or P-51 Mustang? Heres your chance - Commercial Appeal - October 16th, 2019
- Water Main Break On Liberty Ave. In Front Of Wyndham Grand Hotel Floods Road - CBS Pittsburgh - October 16th, 2019
- No Parking Ordinance Vexes Some Liberty Residents - The Tube City Almanac - October 16th, 2019
- Review: Liberty: Mother of Exiles pays tribute to the statue - Los Angeles Times - October 16th, 2019
- What it's like to grow up next to the Statue of Liberty - New York Post - October 16th, 2019
- In Focus: New Red Door Grill in Liberty allows you to leave troubles at door - KMBC Kansas City - October 16th, 2019
- Readers respond: We need a southern Statue of Liberty - OregonLive.com - October 16th, 2019
- ICRC welcomes the UN's Global Study on Children Deprived of Liberty - World - ReliefWeb - October 16th, 2019
- Contest for Liberty Review: Commanding the Continentals - The Wall Street Journal - October 1st, 2019
- Contradicting earlier account, Liberty's accreditor says it has not contacted university over media reports - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 1st, 2019
- Argument over Carson King, Busch Light leads to assault in North Liberty - The Gazette - October 1st, 2019
- Correction: Liberty University-Falwell story - The Associated Press - October 1st, 2019
- Liberty Gold Drills Thick, High-Grade Carlin-Style Gold Mineralization at the Black Pine Project, Idaho, USA, Including 2.51 g/t Oxide Gold over 41.1... - October 1st, 2019
- Bellaire Big Reds; West Liberty University Team Of The Week - WTRF - October 1st, 2019
- Elvis, Tina Turner, Madonna and the Statue of Liberty walk into the University of Arizona - Arizona Daily Wildcat - October 1st, 2019
- Police reveal names of young girls found dead in car in Liberty County - WJCL News - October 1st, 2019
- If You Had Bought Liberty Braves Group (NASDAQ:BATR.K) Stock Three Years Ago, You Could Pocket A 60% Gain Today - Simply Wall St - October 1st, 2019
- Freedom of Association: The First Liberty - Stoutonia - October 1st, 2019
- Liberty and the pursuit of happiness - Washington Times - October 1st, 2019
- Religious Liberty Fight on the Horizon at SCOTUS - Townhall - October 1st, 2019
- Wellsboro's Mann nets 50th in win over NP-Liberty - Towanda Daily Review - October 1st, 2019
- Region roundup: Liberty volleyball earns third straight sweep, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 1st, 2019
- Liberty University official to launch primary challenge to GOP's Riggleman | TheHill - The Hill - October 1st, 2019
- Curbs in Kashmir: There has to be balance between personal liberty & national security, says SC - Economic Times - October 1st, 2019
- WNBA Great Teresa Weatherspoon to Make Mark in NBA - HERO Sports - October 1st, 2019
- Liberty the perfect place for Brandon Hall to return to coaching wrestling - lehighvalleylive.com - October 1st, 2019
- International Space Station to be visible on Sept. 19-20 - Yahoo News - September 19th, 2019
- A Room with a Galactic View Inside the Worlds First Space Hotel - The Vintage News - September 19th, 2019
- Bigelow's B330 - an autonomous, expandable independent exploration space station - NASASpaceflight.com - September 19th, 2019
- First hotel in space set to open in 2025 with cruise ship amenities and out-of-this-world views - Fox 35 Orlando - September 19th, 2019
- Bigelow Aerospace and NASA test earthly mockup of interplanetary space station - GeekWire - September 19th, 2019
- Designs revealed for incredible new space hotel - CNN - September 19th, 2019
- NASA Astronauts interact with Kentucky students while in space - WBKO - September 19th, 2019
- Fox's 'Ad Astra' Bets on More Than Just Space Spectacle to Draw Moviegoers - Hollywood Reporter - September 19th, 2019
- Brad Pitt to Speak with NASA Astronaut on Space Station about Artemis Program - PRNewswire - September 19th, 2019
- Maine astronauts to shake hands in space - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - September 19th, 2019
- First commercial space hotel to have low-gravity basketball, rock climbing: Reports - ABC News - September 19th, 2019
- There might be some problems when we try to make babies in space - Massive Science - September 19th, 2019
- First Space Hotel Set To Open In 2025 - wkdq.com - September 19th, 2019
- One-time UBC researcher headed to International Space Station - Vancouver Sun - September 19th, 2019
- Hazza's space mission proves anything is possible for Emirati youth - Gulf News - September 19th, 2019
- Brad Pitt speaks to NASA astronaut onboard Space Station - WTVY, Dothan - September 19th, 2019
- What Happens to Your Body If You Die in Space? - Popular Mechanics - September 19th, 2019
- What happens to the human body in space - Business Insider - September 19th, 2019
- US Space Module Genesis II Might Crash into Relict Russian Satellite - Space Daily - September 19th, 2019
- Watch a Robot Fish Fly by Shooting Water out of Its Rear - September 14th, 2019
- Residents Are Trying to Flee Russian Town Where Snow Turned Black - September 14th, 2019
- This Startup Will Send DNA From Your Spit to the Moon for $99 - September 14th, 2019
- FBI Investigation Targets Trump Booster Peter Thiel’s VC Firm - September 14th, 2019
- YouTube Influencers Are Mentally Collapsing From Stress - September 14th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX Test Its Crew Dragon’s Escape System - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Team “Accidentally” Invents Blackest Material in Existence - September 14th, 2019
- A Driver Tricked Uber’s Algorithm, Sexually Assaulted a Passenger - September 14th, 2019
- Toyota Wants to Slather Solar Panels All Over Its Prius Hybrid - September 14th, 2019
- A Runaway Star Is Escaping a Black Hole at 1.2 Million MPH - September 14th, 2019
- Putin Critic Uses Drone to Save Hard Drives Before Police Raid - September 14th, 2019
- Airbus Planes Will Track How Often Passengers Go to the Bathroom - September 14th, 2019
- French Gov Official Warns Facebook: Libra Is Not Welcome Here - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla Model X Blast Through Deep Flood Waters - September 14th, 2019
- Milky Way’s Giant Black Hole Lets out Two Giant, Radioactive Burps - September 14th, 2019
- Instagram Keeps Accidentally Flagging Fish Photos as Offensive - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Community Horrified by Famed Researcher’s Epstein Outburst - September 14th, 2019
- Unlike MIT, Harvard Cut Off Epstein Donations After Conviction - September 14th, 2019
- Horrifying Study: Corpses Thrash Around For a Year After Death - September 14th, 2019
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - May 28th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit: the front page of the internet - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism | CARM.org - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 28th, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - May 25th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - May 25th, 2019