Its been a tough stretch for Rutgers. One of the toughest stretches in program history, to be exact. But how has the product on the field affected recruiting?
Rutgers appears content to go into the early signing period with the 10 players currently committed, leaving around five slots for its next appointed head coach to take to (traditional) signing day. However, the staff must still keep potential targets warm and recruit committed players as their pledges are verbal and non-binding.
There havent been many high-profile recruits at games this year, partly because of Rutgers performance and partly because its intentionally building a small class, recruits have their own games to attend and most desired seniors are already committed somewhere.
The Irvington (N.J.) high school contingent -- which boasts three potential national recruits and other FBS-caliber players -- was a late scratch as the team had a game against Barringer, providing a blow to the star power on Rutgers visitors list. However, we caught up with others who made the trip for their thoughts about Rutgers on the heels of its 44-34 win over Liberty -- the programs first win since opening weekend.
Union (N.J.) wide receiver Ahmirr Robinson is having one of the best seasons of any wide receiver in the state. Hes committed to Rutgers and has frequented home games this year despite the teams struggles and is proud to be awarded a win.
I think the game was a well-needed spark for the team and the coaches, and the team rallying around their play-makers stood out to me the most, he said. The atmosphere was great, it made me feel that regardless of (how the season has gone )everyone was behind the team and coaches.
Introducing Rutgers Sports Insider: Sign up for exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text message directly with beat writers
Weequahic (Newark, N.J.) athlete Donovan Wadley, brother of Arkum Wadley who starred at Iowa, also came away impressed.
What stood out the most was how they just fought and kept their heads in the game. It was a good game, he said. Rutgers just wanted it more and they came out on top. They played with heart. It shows me that they have potential and they could bounce back from any situation.
West Side (Newark, N.J.) safety Shua Sutton is one of the most underrated seniors in North Jersey, however, Rutgers has picked up the scent.
I thought highly of the game, Sutton said. "The offense was moving the ball. The defense did a great job. There were a few mistakes, but overall Rutgers did a great job and got a great win.
What stood out the most is how good they treated the recruits and how the players stayed in the game and kept their heads high. As of now, Rutgers is one of my top schools and I hope everything goes well.
Paramus (N.J.) athlete Kyle Jacob is also underrated though being tracked by the Scarlet Knights. He was encouraged most by how Rutgers continued to fight through the back-and-forth game.
The atmosphere was great. Being on the field watching the guys warmup was awesome, Jacob said. They played hard and made plays against Liberty and it was great to see. I think what stood out most was how the players throughout the whole game stayed focus and played their hardest, doing what their coaches told them to do.
Class of 2022 DePaul (Wayne, N.J.) linebacker Thomas McGuire was one of the few players from the Big Six (of the Super Football Conference) to make the trip.
I thought it was great to watch Rutgers compete and win against Liberty. The game was also a great opportunity to talk and meet all the coaches. The culture stood out to me the most. I feel Rutgers has a brotherhood and amazing culture, McGuire said. I like Rutgers a lot and hope in three years to stay home and put on for the state.
Canadian linebacker Dawson Pierre is hopeful to attend Rutgers next season following his stint at Vanier College in Montreal, Quebec. He also gave Saturdays visit high marks.
Going to the Rutgers-Liberty game was a great experience. I think it was a great performance by Rutgers and a great team win. (The) offense and defense played a great game. The atmosphere was what really stood out the most for me, Pierre said. "The crowd, the ambiance and to see how much fun the guys were having.
Everything was awesome! Currently, Rutgers is my No. 1 choice. I would really love to play for Rutgers next season and I am looking forward to making it happen.
Many visitors who confirmed theyd attend never made it to Piscataway Saturday. However, those who did got a pleasant surprise. It remains to be seen if interim head coach Nunzio Campanile -- who got his first win as a college head coach Saturday -- and staff can build on this momentum.
I enjoyed the energy of the game and being on the sidelines, said Donovan Catholic (Toms River, N.J.) class of 2022 defensive tackle Dominick Brogna. Watching them warm-up and run out really got me fired up. I was excited to be there as they got a team win along with coach Nunzios first win as head coach.
Can Rutgers find a way to be competitive against the brutal schedule ahead, starting with Illinois which recently beat Wisconsin in the biggest upset of the year?
And it doesnt get any easier from there.
In fact, it gets much, much harder as Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State round out Rutgers schedule down the stretch.
But, at least the coaches and players got to enjoy one more win in front of recruits before heading down the murderers row of Big Ten play.
Get Rutgers Sports Insider text messages from reporters: Cut through the clutter of social media and communicate directly with the Rutgers beat writers. Plus, exclusive news and analysis every day. Sign up now.
Todderick Hunt may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @TodderickHunt. Find NJ.com Rutgers Football on Facebook.
See more here:
- Ranking the top 50 Liberty football players of all time: 50-41 - A Sea of Red - June 22nd, 2020
- We Can Find Common Ground on Gay Rights and Religious Liberty - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- Two Liberty football players cite racial insensitivity in decision to transfer - ESPN - June 22nd, 2020
- Police: Man scratched an expletive on the replica of Liberty Bell at the Idaho Statehouse - KTVB.com - June 22nd, 2020
- The True Extent of Religious Liberty in America, Explained - The Dispatch - June 22nd, 2020
- Tolsma reflects on legacy, accomplishments in lengthy career at Liberty - Lynchburg News and Advance - June 22nd, 2020
- I Suppressed So Much of My Humanity in Being Here - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Kitchen's virtual dinner brings questions of race, inclusion in New Orleans to the table - NOLA.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Leaf to Acquire Nova Mentis Biotech Corp. - Liberty Leaf Augments Portfolio with Entrance into the Emerging Psilocybin Therapy Market - Yahoo... - June 22nd, 2020
- Man charged in connection with Liberty kidnapping, robbery - KCTV Kansas City - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Oilfield Services Inc. (LBRT) the Stock that gain 10.25% this week! - The News Heater - June 22nd, 2020
- What Liberty Meant to the Pilgrims - National Review - June 22nd, 2020
- Time to give liberty and justice to all - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel - June 22nd, 2020
- Independence opens newly constructed section of Liberty Playground - cleveland.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University Commit Jony Munoz Named 2019-20 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year - SoccerNation.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Stewart: Amid protests and reform, we truly need 'liberty and justice for all' - Standard-Examiner - June 22nd, 2020
- This day in sports: Sparks fall to Liberty in WNBA's first game in 1997 - Yahoo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Heres Some Upbeat Coverage of the Philadelphia Parade That Became a Super-Spreader Event During the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Slate - June 22nd, 2020
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020
- Rallying for the 'freedom and liberty to work' - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 24th, 2020
- Is One Liberty Properties, Inc.'s (NYSE:OLP) ROE Of 6.4% Impressive? - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Liberty end up with 4 of top 12 picks after draft-night deals - ESPN - April 24th, 2020
- Yes, government can restrict your liberty to protect public health - Los Angeles Times - April 24th, 2020
- Carnival Liberty | Deck Plans, Activities & Sailings ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty AV Solutions - Your Best Source for Pro AV ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty University to offer $1,000 credit to students who leave dorms by Saturday because of coronavirus - Richmond.com - March 31st, 2020
- Falwell says concerns about students returning to Liberty University are overblown - CNN - March 31st, 2020
- Two COVID-19 cases confirmed aboard Liberty of the Seas - Galveston County Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- KHS grad Robinson had found a spot on NCAA Tournament-bound Liberty - Kearney Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill has produced nearly 600 gallons of sanitizer for Williamson County first responders, community - Community Impact... - March 31st, 2020
- History's Headlines: The Liberty Bell stopped here - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty urged to help smaller F1 teams survive shutdown - RACER - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty - IMDb - March 26th, 2020
- Jerry Falwell, Liberty Universitys choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained - Vox.com - March 26th, 2020