PISCATAWAY, NJ - OCTOBER 26: Johnny Langan #17 of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights leaps for yards ... [+] against the Liberty Flames during the third quarter SHI Stadium on October 26, 2019 in Piscataway, New Jersey. Rutgers defeated Liberty 44-34. (Photo by Corey Perrine/Getty Images)
For a change, there were plenty of smiles for the Rutgers football team Saturday.
Million-dollar smiles, to be precise.
That was exactly how much Rutgers paid Liberty to show up at SHI Stadium for what probably was projected as an easy victory for the Scarlet Knights when the contract was signed in 2017. But with Rutgers mired in a six-game skid in which it had been outscored 237-30, the Flames had been made a road favorite. In fact, Liberty was favored by 7.5 points in what was a first, according to sports betting and business expert Darren Rovell of the Action Network, who tweeted that never before had a college football team been a home underdog in a game for which it paid at least $1 million.
I saw they were favored to win, said Rutgers quarterback Johnny Langan, who accounted for 310 yards of total offense and three touchdowns. I thought that was ridiculous. We just played our brand of football and played it well and got the win.
So yes, Rutgers winning was an upset. And that spread appeared to be accurate when Libertys talented offense needed only 3:17 to score on the first possession of the game. But the Scarlet Knights kept matching the Flames touchdown for touchdown until their defense finally took control of the game in the second half.
Wins don't come easy so we're going to enjoy this one," linebacker Tyshon Fogg said.
So at least in that sense, the money was well-spent, as Rutgers avoided similar scenarios of the past two seasons, when it lost buy games to Buffalo ($900K in 2018) and Eastern Michigan ($860K in 2017), per nj.com. But it was hard to ignore the monetary woes on display Saturday as Rutgers continues to literally pay the price for the failed Chris Ash era.
Most obviously, there is the sunk cost of the more than $7.5 million still owed to Ash, who was fired in late September with three-plus years still remaining on his contract. And also there is the even more worrisome problem of how to coax back the bulk of a fed-up fan base that has begun staying away in droves with Rutgers on its way to its fifth straight losing season. The announced crowd of 23,058 included paid tickets, but the actual in-house attendance appeared to be less than half of that.
The obvious way to win back many of those people (and their wallets) would be to re-hire Greg Schiano, who took over a similarly downtrodden Rutgers program in 2001 and eventually turned it into a perennial bowl participant, going 5-1 in bowl games.
Truth be told, five days before Halloween, Schianos specter loomed over the proceedings. For the second week in a row, a group of tailgaters had a large, apparently professionally-made banner imploring athletic director Pat Hobbs to hire Schiano. (And it was different from the previous banner.)
And in his post-game media session, interim head coach Nunzio Campanile was asked about his relationship with Schiano after it was mentioned in the radio broadcast that Schiano texts him before every game. Campanile confirmed this.
Of course, not too much should be read into that, considering both Campanile and Schiano are football lifers who were born and raised in northern New Jersey and have known one another for many years.
And then there was an indirect Schiano reference from standout sophomore defensive end Mike Tverdov, who notched a second-quarter sack of Liberty quarterback Stephen Calvert and then made a chopping motion with his hands, a favorite move of Rutgers players from the Schiano era, including Tverdovs older brother Pete. Schianos motto back then was keep chopping.
A smiling Mike Tverdov said afterward it was not an endorsement.
Youve got to understand what I grew up watching, he said. Its pretty instinctual and no indication of how I feel on a certain topic.
Still, if the Rutgers chop were to be resurrected on a regular basis with Schiano being hired again, he would have to adjust to a slightly different landscape than the one with which he became so familiar. Because he was so successful, he had a lot of influence in decisions made by the athletic department back then, according to sources. That influence included input on how money was allocated within the department.
But things have changed at Rutgers, and the proof is in the $115 million RWJBarnabas Health Athletic Performance Center, which opened in September. It houses training and practice facilities for mens and womens basketball, gymnastics and a burgeoning wrestling program. It already is an obvious selling point to recruits in mens basketball, a sport in which Rutgers hasnt made the NCAA tournament since 1991, yet is on the upswing under fourth-year coach Steve Pikiell.
Make no mistake, Schiano and the football program still would drive the proverbial bus at Rutgers, especially if he could bring the Scarlet Knights back to respectability. But football cannot be treated as the only game in town at Rutgers anymore, and Schiano would have to get used to that.
Because Ash was fired on Sept. 29, Rutgers has been able to get a head start on its coaching search. Whether the eventual choice is Schiano, Mississippi States Joe Moorhead, another rumored candidate, or somebody else, he will have to fix Rutgers biggest problem in the Big Ten-an utter inability to compete at the line of scrimmage.
Rutgers defied the odds(makers) versus Liberty by averaging 4.9 yards rushing and recording three sacks as the Scarlet Knights found an opponent to whom they were physically superior for the first time since opening night against Massachusetts.
Our O-line played a tremendous game, Langan said. I cant give enough credit to those guys. They were the reason why we won.
It might be awhile before a Rutgers QB can say that after a Big Ten game. But Schiano (or whomever) must make that a priority for smiling faces to again become commonplace around this program.
Read more here:
- Liberty University President defends keeping the school open amid the coronavirus pandemic - - KUSI - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Media's John Malone still believes in the future of live events despite coronavirus - CNBC - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty's Top 5 DBs of all-time - A Sea of Red - May 22nd, 2020
- Dryville Hotel being converted to Liberty at Dryville | Berks Regional News - 69News WFMZ-TV - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty recruit Merritt 'going to come in and work hard' - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- PHS' Kyle Moore headed to West Liberty | News, Sports, Jobs - Parkersburg News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty Arena targeted for early October completion - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 22nd, 2020
- UConn's Kelly (Schumacher) Raimon took a winding path to a WNBA coaching job with the Liberty - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 22nd, 2020
- 17-year-old charged with burglary in Liberty - Bluebonnet News - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty in the Time of Corona - publicseminar.org - May 22nd, 2020
- West Liberty to conduct its own ball season - Bellefontaine Examiner - May 22nd, 2020
- Liberty London | Designer Department Store | Luxury Brands ... - May 19th, 2020
- Best Banks in Connecticut | Liberty Bank - May 19th, 2020
- Mill Creek, Liberty rated as CLAS School of Distinction - The Madison Record - themadisonrecord.com - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty and Liberty North celebrate class of 2020 with two graduation parades through town - fox4kc.com - May 19th, 2020
- State Supreme Courts Stand Up for Economic Liberty While SCOTUS Falls Down on the Job - Reason - May 19th, 2020
- Department of Labor Strengthens Religious Liberty Protections for Faith-Based Organizations Partnering with Government - GlobeNewswire - May 19th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu should have been dazzling loyal Liberty fans at Barclays this weekend - Yahoo Sports - May 19th, 2020
- Remember When: Liberty and Palace theaters compete with Tarzan films - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - May 19th, 2020
- NJ police do the right thing for liberty at gym that opened up (Opinion) - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - May 19th, 2020
- Benjamin Constant's Writing Reaffirms the Value of Ancient Liberty - City Journal - May 19th, 2020
- Still standing at 70: Here's the story behind Tulsa's Statue of Liberty - Tulsa World - May 19th, 2020
- Liberty athletics notebook: Maine pitcher DeLaite transferring to LU; Byron to honor duo at Coca-Cola 600 - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Five steps to protect public health, regain trust and ensure liberty - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- C&I Live Tweet: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on INSP - Cowboys and Indians - May 19th, 2020
- Andy McCarthy: 'Burden of proof' is on government to show why 'liberty' must be taken - Fox News - April 27th, 2020
- Letter: Personal liberty doesnt give you the right to endanger others - Deseret News - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty versus the virus | Diana Barshaw - The Times of Israel - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Center man to be released from Marion prison - Sentinel-Tribune - April 27th, 2020
- Group Conversion Therapy And Its Aftermath At Liberty University - rvamag.com - April 27th, 2020
- The real problem with the manufactured coronavirus liberty protests - Seattle Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty University's Board of Trustees should remove Jerry Falwell Jr as the school's president - LGBTQ Nation - April 27th, 2020
- Stephen Sings officially signs with Liberty - A Sea of Red - April 27th, 2020
- Beloved Liberty coach Jesse Woods remembered for life of giving - Chron - April 27th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Destruction of life, liberty, happiness - TribLIVE - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus has led to the erosion of religious liberty - White Mountain Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Former Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden ready to hear his name called in NFL Draft - Lynchburg News and Advance - April 27th, 2020
- Why the New York Liberty sent so many front office staff to watch Sabrina Ionescu, how they plan to use the f - OregonLive - April 27th, 2020
- 'Liberty and freedom' | Other counties say they will not require masks like Harris County, Houston - KHOU.com - April 27th, 2020
- A Second Amendment Challenge in the Green Mountain State - Cato Institute - April 27th, 2020
- 'Freedom and liberty to work' rally is canceled; or is it? - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 27th, 2020
- Liberty Health Sciences Announces Expansion of its Cannabis Brand Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Deja Gaston and Alex Murphy: Coronavirus protesters demand 'liberty' at the expense of the rest of us - Salt Lake Tribune - April 24th, 2020
- $2.11 $2.37: is It Good Range to Buy Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. (LTRPA)? - The News Heater - April 24th, 2020
- Lansdales Liberty Bell Trail Named Region Project Of The Year - Montgomeryville, PA Patch - April 24th, 2020
- The Debate Between Liberty-Minded and Common-Good Conservatives Is Nothing New - National Review - April 24th, 2020
- Connecting Liberty Lake ready to help: Citys volunteers wait for calls from those in need - The Spokesman-Review - April 24th, 2020
- Rallying for the 'freedom and liberty to work' - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 24th, 2020
- Is One Liberty Properties, Inc.'s (NYSE:OLP) ROE Of 6.4% Impressive? - Yahoo Finance - April 24th, 2020
- Liberty end up with 4 of top 12 picks after draft-night deals - ESPN - April 24th, 2020
- Yes, government can restrict your liberty to protect public health - Los Angeles Times - April 24th, 2020
- Carnival Liberty | Deck Plans, Activities & Sailings ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty AV Solutions - Your Best Source for Pro AV ... - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty University to offer $1,000 credit to students who leave dorms by Saturday because of coronavirus - Richmond.com - March 31st, 2020
- Falwell says concerns about students returning to Liberty University are overblown - CNN - March 31st, 2020
- Two COVID-19 cases confirmed aboard Liberty of the Seas - Galveston County Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- KHS grad Robinson had found a spot on NCAA Tournament-bound Liberty - Kearney Hub - March 31st, 2020
- Fire Oak Distillery in Liberty Hill has produced nearly 600 gallons of sanitizer for Williamson County first responders, community - Community Impact... - March 31st, 2020
- History's Headlines: The Liberty Bell stopped here - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty urged to help smaller F1 teams survive shutdown - RACER - March 31st, 2020
- Liberty - IMDb - March 26th, 2020
- Jerry Falwell, Liberty Universitys choice to stay open during coronavirus, explained - Vox.com - March 26th, 2020
- Thousands of Liberty students expected to return to campus amid coronavirus outbreak - Richmond.com - March 26th, 2020
- Central Virginia Health District performs surprise inspection at Liberty University as students return to campus - WFXRtv.com - March 26th, 2020
- Eyes that Gleam with Liberty Green - The Georgetown Voice - March 26th, 2020
- AP all-state: Libertys Maisie Burnham named girls 2B player of the year - The Spokesman-Review - March 26th, 2020
- The Passing of a Great Advocate of Liberty and Peace: Jon Basil Utley, RIP | Doug Bandow - Foundation for Economic Education - March 26th, 2020
- What is the cost of freedom and liberty in the era of coronavirus? | TheHill - The Hill - March 26th, 2020
- Liberty Twp. leaders, churches step up to help with grocery delivery - WKBN.com - March 26th, 2020
- Learjets Speedy New Business Jet Comes With Its Own Mini Executive Suite - Robb Report - March 26th, 2020
- Life, liberty ... and the fundamental right to birdie 17 at Shenny - theday.com - March 26th, 2020
- A look at the top paid athletic employees at Liberty - A Sea of Red - March 26th, 2020
- How West Chester, Liberty townships are reacting to coronavirus - Hamilton Journal News - March 26th, 2020
- Pressure on Liberty Media to protect UK F1 teams - Planet F1 - March 26th, 2020
- 'Extremely high' North Liberty man arrested after reporting captive in his basement - The Gazette - March 26th, 2020
- Selection of Sarah Makin-Acciani shows the commitment to religious liberty | TheHill - The Hill - March 26th, 2020
- Liberty London gives Crocs a luxury make-over: Shop the collaboration - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 16th, 2020
- Liberty coaches, athletes stunned and in disbelief following ASUN's cancellation of spring sports - Lynchburg News and Advance - March 16th, 2020
- Falwell: Liberty University will resume in-person classes after spring break - Lynchburg News and Advance - March 16th, 2020
- Crowning the best Liberty basketball team of all-time - A Sea of Red - March 16th, 2020