Rashad Jennings or Eric Green? Mike Brown or Antonio Gandy-Golden? Old school or new school?
Debates over who is the greatest Liberty football player can vary, and we have done our best to identify the best of the best, ranking the greatest players in school history.
With thousands of football players to suit up for the Flames over the years, just making this list is a huge honor, but who will be in the coveted top spot? Our list begins with Nos. 50 through 41.
Check back Tuesday for 40-31 as we unveil the entire top 50 this week.
Johnson was a 4-year starter at quarterback, seeing the program from a 1-9 record his freshman season as the program recovered from the Treasure Island flood under head coach Morgan Hout. His final two seasons, Johnson helped lead the Flames to 15 wins as Sam Rutigliano took over his senior season.
He is currently 4th on the programs career list with 7,397 passing yards, only trailing Buckshot Calvert, Josh Woodrum, and Robby Justino. Hes also 5th with 49 career touchdown passes.
McFadden excelled on the football field at Liberty, playing just two seasons while also running track for the Flames. In 1995, he turned two kickoffs and two punts for touchdowns and averaged a school record 37.8 yards per kick return. His 93-yard punt return against Delaware State that same season is still a school record. At seasons end, he was named a first-team All-American as a return specialist by both the Football Gazette and the Sports Network and also named to the VaSID all-state first team.
In 1996, he led the team in receiving with 452 yards while also continuing to be a big factor in the return game. His 1,446 all-purpose yards in 96 ranks 5th all-time for most all-purpose yardage in a single season.
McFadden participated in the Indianapolis Colts 1998 preseason training camp, but was released just before the teams last cut. He then spent the 1999 season with the Portland Forest Dragons of the Arena Football League.
He is currently Libertys Associate Head Track & Field Coach.
Following Rashad Jennings 3 year reign as Libertys running back from 2006-08, Allen immediately came in and stepped into his role. Allen led the team in rushing in 3 out of 4 years while scoring 21 touchdowns in 2011 and 2012.
He was named first-team all-Big South in 2012.
Hogans was one of Libertys first standout offensive linemen as he ruled the trenches as Liberty moved to the NCAAs Division II level. He was named a first-team All-American following his senior season.
Its hard for a long snapper to make any lists like these, but Wright is an exception. He was twice named a first-team All-American and named first-team All-Big South three consecutive seasons.
Banks was inducted into the Liberty Athletics Hall of Fame in 2011 after a standout for 3 seasons on the gridiron for the Flames. In 1984, he was named an honorable mention All-American and first-team all-state as he finished with 77 receptions for 1,029 yards. His 77 receptions that season still rank 4th most in school history for a single year.
The 1984 season was the only year that Kelvin Edwards didnt lead the team in receiving during his 4 year career as Banks was the teams top target.
He finished his career by ranking No. 2 nationally among all NCAA Division II players in receiving yards in 1984. He became Libertys first ever NFL Draft pick, being selected in the 8th round of the 1985 draft. He played eight years in the NFL with the Browns, Chicago Bears, and Miami Dolphins and amassed 105 receptions for 1,636 yards and 10 touchdowns in his 80 game NFL career.
Playing under the microscope of two of the best to every put on the Liberty red, white, and blue in Buckshot Calvert and Antonio Gandy-Golden, Hickson never got the attention or fanfare he deserved.
He began his career as the Flames top kick returner, running one back for a touchdown against Kennesaw State in 2016 as a redshirt-freshman. The 99 yard kick return for score is the longest in school history. For his exploits as a returner, Hickson was named 2nd team all-Big South in both 2016 and 2017 while also being named VaSID all-state 2nd team as a return specialist in 2016.
After injuries allowed him to move up the running back depth chart in 2018, Hickson proved his worth there, as well. He rushed for 1,000 yards in each of Libertys first two years as an FBS member, and he finished his career 4th on the programs career rushing list while also claiming first in career all-purpose yardage.
Chiles was one of the top high school prospects in the country in 1991 as a linebacker, but he wanted to play quarterback. The high school All-American ended up with Florida to begin his career, choosing the Gators over the likes of Notre Dame, Nebraska, Miami, and Tennessee.
After redshirting as a true freshman and spending one season as the backup, Chiles decided to transfer and ended up in Lynchburg. After winning the starting quarterback job, Chiles became Libertys starter for all three seasons. He had five 300 yard passing games and 10 where he threw for over 250, the 5th most in school history.
As a senior, Chiles led Liberty to an 8-3 season including a win over No. 19 UCF in Orlando.
Smith was a 2010 inductee in the Liberty Athletics Hall of Fame and was one of the schools first all-star athletes. He was the football programs first scholarship student-athlete and score the teams first ever touchdown in 1973. If he had played his entire career against varsity programs, he would rank in the top 4 of Libertys annals in career rushing yards, career rushing attempts, career rushing touchdowns, career 100-yard games, career scoring, and consecutive 100-yard games.
He finished his career with 3,342 rushing yards and 33 touchdowns while having 15 career 100-yard games, including 4 200 yard games.
Many of you were outraged (and understandably so) when Nobles was not included on our list of Libertys 5 best running backs of all-time, and your voice has been heard as hes made his way onto this countdown.
Nobles ranks 2nd all-time on Libertys career rushing list with 3,711 yards. He led the team in rushing from 1997-99, going over 1,000 yards in 1998 and 1999. Nobles scored 25 touchdowns in his final two seasons, leading the team in scoring both years, and he ranks 3rd all-time among scoring leaders excluding kickers.
Nobles is also the schools all-time leader in rushing attempts and ranks 2nd in rushing touchdowns and 3rd in all-purpose yards. He was named an honorable mention All-American three consecutive seasons and made the NCAA I-AA All-Independent first team in 1998.
Continue reading here:
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- Tuesday briefing: Britons flee Brexit by the thousands - The Guardian - August 5th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utilities nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 2nd, 2020
- OPINION: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - Standard-Times - August 2nd, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Universal health care is essential to liberty - Press Herald - August 2nd, 2020
- UPDATE: Package Recovered - Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - August 2nd, 2020
- Has Liberty Oilfield Services Inc.'s (NYSE:LBRT) Impressive Stock Performance Got Anything to Do With Its Fundamentals? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- North Liberty urges residents to wear face masks, calls on businesses to adopt mask policies - The Gazette - July 29th, 2020
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Liberty Broadband Corporation (NASDAQ:LBRD.K)? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Serene Two-Bed Condo with Sunny Terrace is Entertainer's Dream, Liberty Terrace, DTJC - Jersey Digs - July 29th, 2020
- Liberty University won't require COVID-19 test for returning students this fall - Lynchburg News and Advance - July 29th, 2020
- W.N.B.A. Preview: With Sabrina Ionescu, the Liberty Hit Refresh - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- Reflecting on Liberty Global's (NASDAQ:LBTY.A) Share Price Returns Over The Last Five Years - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2020
- Financial Insights and Technical Data on The Liberty Braves Group (BATRA) - Invest Million - July 29th, 2020
- Mostly Outdoor Restaurant and Bar Arrives in Liberty Station - Eater San Diego - July 29th, 2020
- Game 2: Liberty look for their first win of the new season against Dallas - NetsDaily - July 29th, 2020
- The Presley and other restaurants opening at Liberty Station - New restaurants like The Presley and others are opening throughout Liberty Station.... - July 29th, 2020
- Lady In Light Blue Jeep Liberty Sought In Connection With Brazen Daylight Sheldon Theft - KIWARadio.com - July 28th, 2020
- Why Will Spark The Next Run With The Liberty Braves Group (BATRK) Shares? - Invest Million - July 28th, 2020
- Liberty Twp. gets grant to extend walking and biking path - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 28th, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Statue of Liberty repeatedly struck by lightning - KSL.com - July 28th, 2020
- NASA: Asteroid Bigger Than Statue Of Liberty To Fly Safely Past Earth - International Business Times - July 28th, 2020
- Rumor: GTA 6 Set in Vice City, GTA Online Heading to Remastered Liberty City Later This Year - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2020
- Improvements coming to 18 Liberty Twp. roads this year - WKBN.com - July 28th, 2020
- Liberty back on the court preparing for a 2020-21 season - A Sea of Red - July 28th, 2020
- Statutes of Liberty: There's No Public Defender -- Where to Go If You Can't Afford an Immigration Lawyer - ARLnow - July 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus in N.Y.C.: Will the Tourists Ever Come Back? - The New York Times - July 26th, 2020
- Movement designed to bring pressure on Liberty Hill City government - Liberty Hill Independent - July 26th, 2020
- Liberty rookie Jocelyn Willoughby looking to make impact on and off court - New York Post - July 26th, 2020
- Falwell on Liberty's 2020 football season: Our schedule's going to be totally different than what we've published - A Sea of Red - July 26th, 2020
- Liberty Fire responds to camper that caught fire on Rt. 11 - WKBN.com - July 26th, 2020
- Christopher Bray: Of liberty and masks - a trade-off that will help save lives, maybe your own - Brattleboro Reformer - July 25th, 2020
- Liberty Hill Foundation: UCLA Luskin researchers find emPOWER outreach campaign led by community-based organizations successful in reaching areas of... - July 25th, 2020
- New mural brightens Benkard and Liberty in Newburgh - Times Herald-Record - July 25th, 2020
- Trump's stormtroopers crush liberty on the streets of Portland - Salon - July 25th, 2020
- Police: Woman hurt as shots were fired between 2 groups near Liberty Heights Park in West Allis - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - July 25th, 2020