Full disclosure: My musings on life in the past few weeks haven't always been accurate. Tuesday's diatribe became Wednesday's mea culpa. I suspect many of us have experienced disturbing confrontations with humility, given the perpetually changing circumstances the coronavirus thrusts upon us.
Still, my unenlightened fancies notwithstanding, I'm pretty sure our framers, after the "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness" part, didn't include "and the fundamental right to birdie 17 at Shenny."
So can someone explain why Shennecossett, Norwich Golf Course and Stonington Country Club (for its members) are still open? I mean, how many times do Dr. Fauci, Gov. Cuomo and Surgeon General Jerome Adams have to beg for social distancing before we all yes, all adhere to the information?
Some golf groupies believe courses have the right to remain open, citing semantics connected to Gov. Lamont's recent executive order closing all non-essential businesses. Except that the governor's order is irrelevant to the argument. The decision to keep a golf course open thumbs its nose at a greater societal responsibility.
And this virus will continue to run faster than Jesse Owens if we fail to take societal responsibility more seriously. Sure, that antagonizes the YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO crowd. Lest we forget, though, that crazy little thing called humility. Sure beats hubris during a global pandemic.
A month ago, few of us ever heard of social distancing. Now it's at the epicenter of life's changing circumstances. We must adhere to it. Leaving a golf course open, while so many other businesses tethered to recreation have closed, sends the wrong message. It suggests that members of society not allowed to play golf translates into a higher form of suffering than everybody else's. This just in: It's not. We all miss our friends and the things we like to do.
I've never been a fan of slippery slope arguments, mostly because it's illogical to accept a succession of events as inevitable without direct evidence that the course of events would happen. But after watching human behavior in recent weeks and how there's a direct line connecting human weakness with selfishness I cannot say with assurance that others in society wouldn't think like this: If it's permissible for golfers to congregate, why can't we get together with our friends, too?
And then there goes the virus like Jesse Owens again.
In the abstract, sure, one can theoretically participate in golf and stay six feet away from the next person. How many of you honestly think golfers especially if they've partaken of the euphoric nectar would follow that in any sensible way?
The restrictions some courses have in place are laudable: removal of ball washers and rakes, not allowing use of carts, limiting patrons in the pro shop and extending starting tee time intervals to lessen the likelihood of congregating. They'll prove useful later when life resumes with some sense of normalcy.
But now is not the time.
I get that most golfers are going to read this and hate it. Good. Because let me reiterate: Your brand of suffering isn't worse than mine. Or the person next door. Or the medical personnel at hospitals throughout the country who don't have enough masks right now to keep themselves safe. What, your inability to trot out your new Titleist Hybrid is somehow worse than a nurse whose life is in peril every day?
I got an email Tuesday from a Waterford attorney and presumably avid golfer, who offered this:"Emergency orders issued pursuant to the state's police power, which are in derogation of our rights, are to be narrowly construed. Playing golf has not been prohibited by Gov. Lamont pursuant to his emergency powers."
Of course. We must narrowly construe everything here in a global crisis. Because the constitutional right for you to play golf is more sacrosanct than the Sermon on the Mount. Such an inspiring attitude: ME ME ME. Yup. Your individual rights supersede the greater good. Always and forever.
Except that it's about WE WE WE.
This is the opinion of Day sports columnist Mike DiMauro
- liberty | Definition & Examples | Britannica - December 4th, 2020
- Liberty Global to Present at the UBS Global TMT Virtual Conference - Business Wire - December 4th, 2020
- UMass football out of its league in blowout loss to Liberty - The Boston Globe - December 4th, 2020
- Northeast High Principal to take over Liberty High, month after its principal was removed - The Advocate - December 4th, 2020
- Liberty Hall hosts Festival of Trees this week, but online viewing options also available - Lawrence Journal-World - December 4th, 2020
- 30 of Walter Williams's Best Quotes on Liberty, Rights, Property, and Coercion | Gary M. Galles - Foundation for Economic Education - December 4th, 2020
- Q&A with A Sixers Odyssey Author and Former Liberty Baller Dave Rueter - Liberty Ballers - December 4th, 2020
- Crisis response team called to Liberty Twp. standoff - WKBN.com - December 4th, 2020
- What's the future of Ace Hotel in East Liberty? Could be new owners - NEXTpittsburgh - November 3rd, 2020
- Liberty All-Star Growth Fund, Inc. Declares Regular Quarterly Distribution and Amount Required for Excise Tax Purposes - PRNewswire - November 3rd, 2020
- Body found in Trinity River bottom near Liberty - Bluebonnet News - November 3rd, 2020
- Life, liberty and the pursuit of lacit - The Spectator US - November 3rd, 2020
- A Possible Road to the Top 25 This Weekend for Liberty - A Sea of Red - November 3rd, 2020
- Whats happening with Tauntons Liberty and Union Festival? Its moved to your screens - Taunton Daily Gazette - October 19th, 2020
- Teen sentenced to 24 months for involvement in Liberty Twp. park shootout - Hamilton Journal News - October 19th, 2020
- Trump's rallies define his view of liberty: The right not to care about other people - Yahoo News - October 19th, 2020
- Reader: Our liberty is threatened - Midland Daily News - October 19th, 2020
- Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Victimhood - Jewish Journal - October 19th, 2020
- No debate: Iowa City Liberty is the cream of the MVC volleyball crop - The Gazette - October 19th, 2020
- Liberty surges in others receiving votes of Top 25 polls - A Sea of Red - October 19th, 2020
- City Journal: Liberty, in Sickness and in Health - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - October 19th, 2020
- Liberty High principal on leave after threat to make football players stand for national anthem - The Advocate - October 19th, 2020
- Fans Are Going Wild Over Meghan McCains First Picture with Daughter Liberty Sage - Prevention.com - October 19th, 2020
- Why is Liberty missing the excitement? - Coastal Courier - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty man reunited with two men who helped save his life after heart attack - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Defensive lineman ready to make big impression at Liberty - The Cross Timbers Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: 12th annual Freedom Conference was victory for liberty - Steamboat Pilot and Today - September 2nd, 2020
- HEQ: Liberty President on Growing the Reverse Mortgage Business by Expanding Distribution - Reverse Mortgage Daily - September 2nd, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reader says our liberty has been taken away - Muskogee Daily Phoenix - September 2nd, 2020
- Bonner leads Sun to important 70-65 win over Liberty - theday.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Gazette area volleyball Super 10: Xavier, Liberty climb to Nos. 2 and 3 - The Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- One man dead, another arrested following shooting in Liberty Township - WKBN.com - September 2nd, 2020
- I want the people of God to enjoy liberty: Pastor at Maine super-spreader wedding gives defiant indoor sermon - The Boston Globe - September 2nd, 2020
- At Liberty, 30 students and staff have tested positive for coronavirus - Lynchburg News and Advance - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Springfield aims to be citys 1st recreational marijuana shop - MassLive.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Liberty Broadband to merge with GCI Liberty - RCR Wireless News - August 10th, 2020
- Falwell on leave from Liberty presidency - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- North Liberty police move into new $5.7 million home - The Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- New York Liberty beat the Washington Mystics 74-66 - Aug 9, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty has 3 open dates on the 2020 schedule, here are a few rescheduling options - A Sea of Red - August 10th, 2020
- Local View: Wearing a mask is an expression of liberty - The Columbian - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty football notes: Quarterbacks Willis, Ferguson splitting reps at first team, and more - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 10th, 2020
- Judge Stephen Williams On Forced Public Confessions - Cato Institute - August 10th, 2020
- 16-year-old killed in off-road rollover crash near Liberty Park - AL.com - August 10th, 2020
- Utahns speak out against masks at 'Rally for Liberty' in Orem and during county commissioner's town hall - Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Gettysburg? The Liberty Bell? Trump Weighs R.N.C. Speech Options - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Petition Calls on U. of Lynchburg to Cut Ties with Liberty U. and Falwell, Sr. - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 10th, 2020
- On the move: Square Caf leaving Regent Square for East Liberty - TribLIVE - August 10th, 2020
- GOP lawmaker calls on Falwell Jr. to resign over photo - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- GCI Liberty, Inc. (GLIBA) Gains 40.35% in one Year: Whats Next? - The News Heater - August 10th, 2020
- Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving. - Slate - August 8th, 2020
- What Sabrina Ionescu's injury means for her rookie season and the New York Liberty - ESPN - August 8th, 2020
- PHOTOS: The Diamond Horseshoe Converts Into Overflow Seating for Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom - wdwnt.com - August 8th, 2020
- Carleton, Brown have career nights, Lynx beat Liberty 92-66 - KARE11.com - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty secures two more wide receiver commitments - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Gill, Edwards returning to Liberty University as executive vice presidents of diversity - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Bank Amphitheater cancelling events for rest of year - Alton Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Liberty Latin America Reports Q2 and H1 2020 Results - Business Wire - August 7th, 2020
- Still searching for their first W in 2020, Liberty take on the Lynx - NetsDaily - August 7th, 2020
- Recent conference decisions impacting Liberty's 2020 football schedule - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 7th, 2020
- Sabrina Ionescu exits with ankle injury as Liberty await word on severity - ESPN - August 7th, 2020
- The Buzz: Is it open or closed? Five answers - Post-Crescent - August 5th, 2020
- Serving the underserved: East Liberty Family Health Care Center - WTAE Pittsburgh - August 5th, 2020
- Liberty Global and Virgin Media Bring Gigabit Speeds to Glasgow, Leeds and Bradford - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Montana Viewpoint: Defending government property at the expense of liberty - Missoula Current - August 5th, 2020
- LEGOs Statue of Liberty hits $100 + deals on Technic, Avengers, more from $12 - 9to5Toys - August 5th, 2020
- The Collabs: Timberland Teams Up with Liberty London for Floral Collection + More - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 5th, 2020
- Marshall County Legislative Delegation makes donation to the Liberty Learning Foundation - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 5th, 2020
- Pastor accused of sexually abusing minor while assigned to Liberty parish - KCTV Kansas City - August 5th, 2020
- Short-lived jail break in Liberty ends with arrests of three inmates - Bluebonnet News - August 5th, 2020
- Black Athletes Are Abandoning Liberty University Because of the School's Racism - Friendly Atheist - Patheos - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty Utility nixes Granite Bridge pipeline, gets increased capacity from another pipeline - The Union Leader - August 3rd, 2020
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Wildfires threaten summer cottages at Liberty Lake - The Spokesman-Review - August 3rd, 2020
- It's all relative with the Statue of Liberty - The Spectator USA - August 3rd, 2020
- Lions Club's and Liberty United Methodist Church holds food giveaway in Macon - 13WMAZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Liberty University receives preliminary guidance from Bedford County to pursue New London Airport expansion - Lynchburg News and Advance - August 3rd, 2020
- The Exact Trigger that Indicates Volatility in Liberty Broadband Corp - CMLViz.com - CML News - August 3rd, 2020
- How Sixers need to utilize Ben Simmons at the elbows - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Sixers look to bounce back tonight against the Spurs - Liberty Ballers - August 3rd, 2020
- Have You Seen This? Dramatic lightning bolt lights up Statue of Liberty - KSL.com - August 3rd, 2020